What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to determine when seeds are fully ripe?

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You want to dry your seeds for minimum of 4 weeks for best germination rates.
I dry mine in the dark in either cardboard or brown paper envelopes.

In jars is not good even with lids open , and also want to be in the cupboardor or complete darkness
How long do you all cure your seeds after harvesting them. I've been keeping mine in open jars on shelves out of sunlight for about 5 weeks or so before vacuum sealing them and putting them into the fridge. Just curious what others are doing.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dry your seeds longer( minimum 4 weeks)and they will germinate quicker
I hope this is the right thread to post seed questions:
I notice that my own repro of a strain takes longer(48-72 hours) to show roots than the ones from the seedbank which show roots in just 24 hours in paper towel
Is there a special treatment being done to seeds by some seedbanks so they sprout faster?
It doesnt really make a difference at the end of the grow if the seed took a day more or less to germ as long as they are viable and germ but I am curious to know

I am also seeing some old seed germing as fast as and being more vigorous than fresh seed and I dont understand enough to find an explanation for this to happen. I am seeing this happening in a strain made by Afropips called Tribal Vision which should have been done before 2008 and from different strains/seed made by SamS I dont know when

St. Phatty

Anyone here noticed how indica beans are generally quicker to ripen than sativa beans? I guess that's directly proportionate to their respective flowering times.
billy

seems like Indica seeds tend to be smaller.

which makes sense. shorter flowering time etc.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It probably varies with the strain. Just keeping the seeds in the fridge for a few months should be entirely suitable. In the mid-80's, all of the best bags had quite large and pale seeds. I suspect these strains had been intensively worked to get them as killer as they were. If you grow and hybridize some ditchweed you'll see that the characteristics of seeds such as size, color, and shattering are closely related to selective breeding. Like floppy dog ears in tame foxes.

SolarLogos

You want to dry your seeds for minimum of 4 weeks for best germination rates.
I dry mine in the dark in either cardboard or brown paper envelopes.

In jars is not good even with lids open , and also want to be in the cupboardor or complete darkness
Thank you bro, that is the kind of input I was looking for:tiphat:
SL

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A few of my girls @ 5-6 weeks after pollination (male was open for a week); you can see some pods green and zipped up tight, others yellowing off and splitting to show their beans, some hanging right out of their browned off pods. These are long term sativas, so expecting they'll probably flower for at least another couple of months. I guess I just need to draw a line in the sand somewhere here so I'm figuring probably another several weeks or so from now...at around the 8-9 week mark as I need the space and can't afford to wait on these girls to finish their full cycle as they're really just here for the beans.

billy

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
These are a random cross sample of beans that were hand picked off the girls several days ago at 5-6 weeks after pollination. Beans have been airing on brown paper for about 3-4 days. Any thoughts?

billy

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3863.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So finally took these girls down at 10 weeks, had to cut some gains to offset my losses as I needed the space and couldn't afford to just keep them going on and on forever. Besides, heaps of beans were dropping to the ground on a daily basis. Didn't seem to matter how careful you were not to bump the girls, they'd just be popping out on their own accord.
Now comparing beans, I can't see any notable color or developmental difference between the beans taken at 5.5 weeks to those taken at 10 weeks.
I'm keeping both batches separate till I can do a germ test on them to determine if there's any difference in the germing rates. Will report back on this shortly...

billy

Joint Lock

Hey there Growers,

Just seeking your thoughts on the best way to determine when seeds are fully ripe?

I've been at it for many years but had some mixed results along the way and just checking in to see if anyone can chime in with their thoughts and experience on the best way to be sure your beans are ripe on the bush and ready for picking and drying?

TIA

billy

I just take seed plants a extra 7-10days end up with nice tiger stripped beans every time that are of a nice size

Latest posts

Latest posts