What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rotating Lights ?

Gtek

I have been looking for answers on this one but couldn't find anything.
Lets say you grow with 2 lights and under each is one plant.
One of the lights is twice as powerful as the other.
Would switching/rotating the light every 7 days in flower between the 2 plants average the yield or give a better result than just having the lights unchanged over the plants?

Would switching/rotating the light every 7 days in flower between the 2 plants average the yield or give a better result than just having the lights unchanged over the plants?

I've always grown with the strong light in the center(400w hps) flanked on both sides by 4 cfls or screw in leds. If these are leds or something you'd probably have to rotate the lights far more often or ideally setup some light movers to move them back and forth. That or get a 3rd small light and set them on the sides like I do. Good luck peace

Gtek

The plants are pretty big.... close to 3 1/2 foot (without pot) . Topped and trained with even canopy.

Each light covers the plant in a optimum way... Lights are pretty close as well. Strong one is 4 inches away the weaker one 1/2 an inch they are both white LED and grow space is all taken up. At this point one plant is receiving less light than the other so naturally yield is going to be according to the amount of light each plant receives. So i was wondering if alternating lights between the 2 in a 7 day cycle would be better than just having the light stationary.

Maybe somebody has experience with a case like this ?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I ran some tests on this a few years back. Lighting was multiple overhead spectrums (CMH, LED, MH) as well as LED and fluorescent UV sidelights. Multiple light meters were used for intensity setup and lights were kept a minimum of 18" away.

Side by sides with turning the plants twice a day, once a day, every other day, every second day and every third day was done through two harvests.
Two days was the maximum for optimum health, three days caused unsymmetrical growth to begin. Turning every second day was about the same as daily turning.

Plants seem to average out the uneven light for up to two days before problems start.

Easy7

Veteran
Wouldn't even bother moving the light, too much work. Just focus on the plant under the large light to get more with that. Then the other light just let it do it's thing.

Unless they are all in one space. But I'd nix the idea of cfl on the side, someone mentioned. CFL isn't worth much for light.

Mixed spectrum is also an importance.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Tent mgt is important and maybe often overlooked. I rotate my plants every watering/feeding (tent position, not on the spot). I have 4 plants in a 3x3 with a 600W LED. I also use a PAR meter to assist me. Yes it pays dividends. Because I grow different starins at the same time (although I tend to try and match up the strains e.g don't grow indicas along with sativas). I also made pedestal so I can even out the height of the canopy. Although they all receive the same treatment, currently one of my AC/DC needs a 4" pedestal to be at the same height as the others.tiphat:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The plant under the weaker light is receiving more light than under the stronger light isn't it? Inverse square law means when you double the distance you halve the light? In theory wouldn't you just have the light that's twice as strong, set to twice the distance to even up the light distribution?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The plant under the weaker light is receiving more light than under the stronger light isn't it? Inverse square law means when you double the distance you halve the light? In theory wouldn't you just have the light that's twice as strong, set to twice the distance to even up the light distribution?

If you are talking to me, please quote :) I only run 1 light :tiphat:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The light spectrum can be enriched with the addition of different lights. This addition of a four bulb, 4 ft, florescent mixed with two LEDs will bring more white light into the grow. The results are unbelievable.

Attachments

• photo2036255.jpg
    photo2036255.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 17
  • photo2036256.jpg
    photo2036256.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2036257.jpg
    photo2036257.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 18

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I can get over an inch a day, with a 18 hr light cycle at this stage. Since this is a live grow, I can show a few up coming days!

Attachments

• photo2036479.jpg
    photo2036479.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's today's growth, if you look at the top photos you can see a lot of growth in 3 days.

Attachments

• photo2036993.jpg
    photo2036993.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's 4 days with today's grow. You get what I talking about, custom light blending can super-charge a grow.!!! 😎

Attachments

• photo2037278.jpg
    photo2037278.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 18

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's day five, I will switch the florescent with a HPS 400 after I flip to 12 12.

Attachments

• photo2037517.jpg
    photo2037517.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 17

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's day 6 and I'm flipping to 12 & 12 today, and removing the lanky one in back to give me more room for flowers. If you look back at the first photos of the thread you can see the "over a inch a day principle" in growth. I will post more photos in the future when I change the added florescent with a 400 HPS to the LEDs. Now I'm getting ready for the flower stretch!

Attachments

• photo2037808.jpg
    photo2037808.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's today, 9 days from the start of the thread. . I'm going to have to remove something because I have limited space in this 5x5 ft area.

Attachments

• IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 20
  • photo2038447.jpg
    photo2038447.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 18

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
After flipping the photoperiod its time to add more light. Now, I switched the 4 bulb, 4 ft T8 florescent off, and fired up the 400 HPS to bring in more red bands and mimic fall. 12 x12 photoperiod.😎

Attachments

• photo2038475.jpg
    photo2038475.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 17
  • photo2038476.jpg
    photo2038476.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: