What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Florida Growers Thread: Reloaded-ed

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i know we've had our history in this and other threads but that was the past. new leaf. i only ask for the helps when i need it and it's like my first time growing outdoors since i see some of you have a lot of the outdoors experiences i'll ask here.

does flowering outdoors take the same amount of time as indoors? like once i see flowers forming is 70 days outside 70 days inside or do you go longer?

i'm not growing in the ground i'm using pots anywhere between 1 and 5 gallons. never used anything bigger than 2 gallons or so before. how often do you feed? do you even feed anything after you put them in the soil or ground or whatever? i don't have any meters or soil analysis or anything. i'm using mostly topsoil mixed with compost some containers have some mushroom compost mixed in. i'm finding all the bagged soil i buy down here in florida seems to be exactly the same. like it all comes from the same place. from the cheapest shit to the most expensive one i was willing to pay for some black kow which i thought was at one time the gold standard. it's all like a mix of anywhere between 20-50% sand and some bark and shit. even the manure is like mostly bark. the mushroom compost i bought was really barky, turned out it might possibly have been full of chemical salts cuz once it got dry i see sodium stains. i'm from the midwest and the dirt there is pretty much dark brown/black and crumbly the only thing i've seen worthy so far is the topsoil seems to be nice and "dirty"

but i'm not really here to talk about soil mixes. anyway i've been feeding by ear/eye whatever. but it's been a crazy balancing act so far, too much/ then too little/ then too much/ too little/ back and forth back and forth.

how do you feed your outdoors? i was using fish emulsion and some liquid 10-10-5 all purpose type of flower food. finally got some tomato food dry granules 2-7-4, supposed to be organic and made of crushed up i assume bone,feather,etc meals and jazzes. and i bought some faster acting i would hope liquid organic ferts espoma bloom 1-3-1.

going forward i plan on continuing to use the outside as my flower box till the solstice next year. how would you suggest i feed container plants max size 5 gallons outdoors? in soil type mix/ "organic"

like i said not here to start no shit so wont be no shit started less someone else starts it.

B

blue_tick

poweredbylove

i have a chemdog out that calls 9 weeks begin of october(not gonna happen) but it is starting later than my kali mist. so if it was me count when you see the first signs of flower. i think it differs. i have been using amended soil that is water only. i would be more than happy to give you what i use to make around 65 gallons. you could use hydrolyzed fish (not emulsion) neptunes, guano for phos and kelp extract add a little humic and your good to go. hit me up if you want to discus this more

peace

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
PBL that soil mix sounds real compacked.
promix & most other soil mix have petemose ,perilite, & vermiclite.
u need to litenup ,airate your soil mix alittlel [add rice hulls,crushed lova rock, or some promix soil to your soil mix.
in soil i feed once a week& water the rest of the week, or i feed very lite every time i water/feed.:2cents:

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
oh i put those hydroton, and perlite and whatever else i have around to help aeration. but yeah some of that shit is compacted mostly the soil i ran out of "aerations" for but i think all the stuff outside was from my first soil mixing which took the bulk of my hydroton and perlite and whatnot. i think i still have another bucket of hydroton somewhere... but i'll most likely just go buy some more perlite at the grow store i get like a cuft of that shit like 5-8bucks can't remember which. but you pay like 10 bucks at case de for only a piddling 8 qts. one day before christmas i'm sure. gotta find some funds. i grow free/cheap.

P-NUT

Veteran
Pbl, be careful with anything with fish or blood or coons might dig your shit up. Ive done 50%peat 25%perlite 25%castings with 2tbs per gal lime 1tbs per gallon of fish or bloodmeal 2tbs per gal bonemeal and 1 tbs per gal kelpmeal. Let that sit for a month or it may burn them or coons will dig it up. After that should be good with water only. Is you feel the need to fert use alfalfa for nitrogen and guano for phosphorus and kelp for potassium. That is pretty much foolproof.

Last edited:

P-NUT

Veteran
If you wanna grow free start a leaf pile and collect the leafmold in a year or 2 and use in place of peat. Start a worm bin its beyond easy and start a compst pile. Learn about nutrient accumulators and use them in your compost. Youll be on your way to free weed. Btw charcoal the same size as perlite seems to work pretty good so far as a aeration ammendment as does seashells.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
If you wanna grow free start a leaf pile and collect the leafmold in a year or 2 and use in place of peat. Start a worm bin its beyond easy and start a compst pile. Learn about nutrient accumulators and use them in your compost. Youll be on your way to free weed. Btw charcoal the same size as perlite seems to work pretty good so far as a aeration ammendment as does seashells.

I did that for 2 years straight. Started a compost pile, put dead leaves, lawn clippings, and any vegetable food waste onto the pile. Even bought some of that "compost starter" in a bag for it. Spent hours working it over, getting it where i wanted it to be.

Then about 3 months before I would have started using it, my father started in with his shit. Had to walk away from him, the grow, and my compost.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
its kinda a pain in the ass to build a nice soil, unless u got time & space, whicxh i dont.
O an coco makes a nice mix in soil, ive been reuesing my used coco in my soil mix for the last 2-3 years helps airate & drain.

Mr. Miyagi

I've wanted to grow outside...and think I may have found a couple prime spots.. but was wondering on a good mix...

My easy way out thinking was to just plant them in either 5gal buckets or maybe 7 gal pots (prob smart pot) and leave them above ground, or dig a hole and put buckets or SP in the hole... that way they have proper root enviro, just trying to figure out a way to feed them without having to constantly visit site.
Granted my prime locale I visit bi-weekly anyway, so I don't forsee a problem feeding them, but would prefer a nute mix that I can incorporate either into mix or top dressing and just water... any thoughts?

P-NUT

Veteran
7 gal smartpots with the mix i mentioned and putting them out now they should have enough to keep them fine till harvest. You could even veg a week or 2 inside in the pots before you put them out and youll yield a whole lot better.

Mr. Miyagi

7 gal smartpots with the mix i mentioned and putting them out now they should have enough to keep them fine till harvest. You could even veg a week or 2 inside in the pots before you put them out and youll yield a whole lot better.

What's that mix again?

P-NUT

Veteran
I think it was called lcs mix origionally. Its 50% canadian sphagnum peat 25% areration (perlite,rice hulls etc.) 25 % worm castings. You can use 33% of each if you want more aeration. Then add 2 tablespoons per gallon of mix of bone meal and lime. And 1 tablespoon per gallon of mix of blood meal or fish meal and kelp meal. Thats all thats needed. You can play with different nitrogen and phosphorus sources if you want but keep the kelp in. I use azomite too. Moisten and let sit a month and it wont burn them and coons wont try to dig in amymore. You could use high n and p guanos or alfalfa and fish bone meal. Just stick to those ratios and your good.

Mr. Miyagi

Ok cool!

Thanks fellas...much appreciated. If I DO decide to a outdoor plant, I may stick to just watering and feeding by visiting location, if i decide too...

For NOW, but I would like to make a mix that I can just water.... damn, I wish I still REv's mix still... damn...whatever happened to REv?

P-Nut... 2Tbsp of lime per gallon? That seems a bit high... but it has been awhile since I've used lime...

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
when i first started mixing my own soil i don't remember which recipe i followed i wanna say 3lb, or maybe might have been lc's. but basically it was equal parts compost and topsoil, 25% perlite 10-15% sand and then your amendments. lime bone, blood, or guanos etc. i never mixed a soil to feed plants all the way through i mostly just use it as a substrate. like i said never grown in ground just pots. and i never use pots that would hold enough mix of a water only soil to last me through a grow. basically organish and feed with whatever kinda bottle organic or salt nutes in small pots.

but as far as substrate is concerned can't beat that mix, and those other mixes stickied in the organic forum.

Last edited:
Speaking of watering, make shift cover for now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 14

P-NUT

Veteran
If your going to veg for a week or 2 that mix will be fine water only till harvest in a 5 gal or bigger pot. In or outside. And thats never been too much lime for me. My current mixes are a bit more complex with neem cake and crustacean meal and assorted rock dusts and alfalfa but a basic cheap mix works just fine and is alot easier to mix. Hell before i went no till i went through a few hundred gallons per run and made beds outdoors using it without reamending and had no prob making it through winter runs.

Latest posts

Latest posts