What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When Nichiren and his followers chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, they have already 'cast off' their present bodies. This is because, in doing so, they have shown that they do not hesitate to give up their lives."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 731, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 70) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 3rd, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those who can overcome their own weaknesses are indeed true victors.
Never be defeated.
By constantly making every effort to win in life,
let's adorn our lives in the very best of happiness!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'Thank you' is a 'magic word' that brings joy to both the person who says it and the person who hears it. Those who feel and express appreciation have beautiful hearts. Those who can appreciate others’ kindness will grow into leaders who can work for the happiness of others.

"The Daishonin constantly thanked his followers. He never failed to express appreciation for their sincerity, sending them letters upon letters of encouragement.

"I will say 'thank you' again today, cherishing the belief and wish that when we all show greater appreciation for one another, the world will become a happier and more peaceful place."

SGI Newsletter No. 8769, Soar into the Skies of Hope! [9] Greeting Others and Expressing Thanks, from the 1st Jan., 2013, issue of Boys and Girls Hope News, the Soka Gakkai monthly newspaper for the boys and girls division translated 28th, May, 2013.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I visited a 1.3 billion dollar company that is the world leader in what they do and convinced them to let me be the one they do business through for the most populous part of the world (as in planet earth). They said no seven times before they just said yes!

Don't be afraid!
Don't be defeated!
FAITH!
VICTORY OF GOLD!!!

Thank you all so much!!!!!!!

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ask you my friends to chant for this person so let's just call him OK Farmer. Let's give him our support. Let's show him what can happen when the power of prayer is dispensed.

Let the blessing begin... Nam Myoho Renge Kyo for our OK Farmer...Nam Myoho Renge Kyo for the togetherness found in oneness. :). Bog

Let's all chant for our friend the OK Farmer! It could be anyone of us! Let's be as supportive with our faith as we would hope to be helped ourselves in a time of need. Cause and effect man! There is no way that this kind of prayer doesn't come right back to you!

T

(Good call Brother BOG!):tiphat:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our faith and practice enable us
to make boundless self development and growth.
Let's break down those self-constructed walls in our hearts
and unlock our full potential!
By first and foremost chanting daimoku with a strong determination,
let's today, too, engage in courageous dialogue with others!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PassTheDoobieeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Where are u my bro'!!!!!! :huggg:

I'm here repeating your words of wisdom my Brother! Thanks for asking and thanks for continuously posting as I also thank BOG, Bud, Easy, Bonzo, Sheep and all of the other Chanting Growers who keep this story alive. I bow in sincere and humble obeisance to you all!

A Big shout out to my Sister T! Damn I'm getting some big benefits!

And Easy! We finally had our face down after four years, and the representative had no responses to the points he faced. I got to say everything I have waited all this time to say! My confidence was contageous and we were prepared as a group with three years of weekly study and he could see the faith in the eyes of everyone in that room and he looked scared shitless.

I assume he'll chant more Daimoku before he visits the next time!

Much love and deepest respect to you all!

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Therefore a person who upholds the Lotus Sutra is repaying the debt of gratitude owed to father and mother. Even if one does not feel in one's own heart that one can do so, one can repay it through the power of this sutra."

(The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 638) Selection Source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shinbun, May 14th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is important that our faith in the Gohonzon and seeking spirit toward the Mystic Law are strong, unwavering, and sincere. Those who wish to transform their karma, who pray for the realisation of kosen-rufu, and who strive for that cause with ungrudging devotion are guaranteed to achieve a life of happiness and victory. Those who sincerely persevere in their Buddhist practice will be victors; they will win out in the end. This is the ultimate purpose of faith in Nichiren Buddhism.

"Adversity forges us into people of genuine character and cultivates strong will; it allows us to taste life’s tears of true joy and sorrow and to achieve a great human revolution."

SGI Newsletter No. 8761, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory, [47] "Persecution by Sword and Staff" Triumphing over Adversity - The Eternal Honour of the Shared Struggle of Mentor and Disciple, from the December 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated 8th May, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's said that not to advance is to retreat.
It's in the midst of advancement that we can grow and develop.
It's while we are taking action that we can find true joy.
With courage in our hearts, let's advance!
Let's break through those personal walls that limit us!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Those who call themselves my disciples and practice the Lotus Sutra should all practice as I do. If they do, Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, Shakyamuni's emanations throughout the ten directions, and the ten demon daughters will protect them."

(On Establishing the Four Bodhisattvas as the Object of Devotion - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 978) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 3rd, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Troubles and upsets are part and parcel of life. We may fall ill or find ourselves deadlocked at work. There may be times when we struggle with relationships in our workplace, our communities, or at home. In a sense, to live is a constant challenge, and life is the arena of our struggles."

SGI Newsletter No. 8742, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 26: Chap. 2, Banner of the Law 10, translated 2nd April 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's start each and every day
with the strong determined prayer to achieve kosen-rufu.
By doing a powerful gongyo and chanting daimoku
with the rhythmical beat of a galloping white horse,*
let's cause the great life force of the universe
to gush forth from the very depths of our lives!

Daisaku Ikeda

* "In addition, a person's attitude in doing gongyo reveals itself in how that person lives. A person whose gongyo is weak will lack vital energy and will lapse inevitably into a feeble way of living. If you do gongyo only as if it were a chore or out of a sense of obligation, it will be hard for you to feel joy in your faith. Therefore, let's encourage one another to do a refreshing and rhythmical gongyo, like a mythical white flying horse galloping through the sky. Together let's aim to do a superb, powerful gongyo each day, one that will move the entire universe and is infused with our earnest prayers." (Human Revolution, Volume 12, "Declaration" chapter)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If I remain silent, I may escape persecutions in this lifetime, but in my next life I will most certainly fall into the hell of incessant suffering. If I speak out, I am fully aware that I will have to contend with the three obstacles and four devils. But of these two courses, surely the latter is the one to choose."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 239) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 6th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The situation is like the joints in a piece of bamboo:
if one joint is ruptured, then all the joints will split."*
That one single courageous breakthrough acts like a catalyst
that leads all to achieving monumental victories.
Youth, we are counting on you to take that lead and show us the way!

Daisaku Ikeda

* Gosho - Letter to Horen, WND 1, page 512, "The situation is like the joints in a piece of bamboo: if one joint is ruptured, then all the joints will split."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Believing in the absolute power of the Mystic Law, let’s proudly dedicate our lives to the noble cause of kosen-rufu. Let us always, no matter what happens, continue to boldly walk the path of creating a peaceful world based on the humanistic ideals on Nichiren Buddhism—following our unshakable conviction that human revolution is the starting point for social transformation."

SGI Newsletter No. 8775, Our Brilliant Path to Victory, May—The Month of the Vow of Mentor and Disciple, from 6th May, 2013, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated 3rd June, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings Translated by Burton Watson

Chapter Sixteen: The Life Span of the Thus Come One

Point One, concerning Chapter Sixteen, The Life Span of the Thus Come One Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra, volume nine, says: “Thus Come One is a general designation for the Buddhas of the ten directions and the three existences, for the two Buddhas, the three Buddhas,* the Buddha of the essential teaching, and the Buddha of the theoretical teaching. Specifically, it is a special designation for the three Buddhas of the original state. Juryo, or Life Span, refers to an overall reckoning. It indicates an overall reckoning of the benefits of the two Buddhas, the three Buddhas, and all the Buddhas of the ten directions and the three existences. Therefore the chapter is called the Juryo-hon, or [Reckoning of] the Life Span chapter.

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: The title of this chapter deals with an important matter that concerns Nichiren himself. This is the transmission described in the “Supernatural Powers” chapter. The Thus Come One is Shakyamuni Buddha or, more generally speaking, all the Buddhas of the ten directions and the three existences. Or, more specifically, it refers to the Buddha of the original state who is eternally endowed with the three bodies.

Now it is the understanding of Nichiren and his followers that, generally speaking, the term “Thus Come One” refers to all living beings. More specifically, it refers to the disciples and lay supporters of Nichiren.

This being the case, the term “eternally endowed with the three bodies” refers to the votaries of the Lotus Sutra in the Latter Day of the Law.

The title of honor for one who is endowed with the three bodies is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. This is what the three great concerns of actuality** of the “Life Span” chapter refer to.

Speaking in terms of the six stages of practice, the Thus Come One in this chapter is an ordinary mortal who is in the first stage, that of being a Buddha in theory. When one reverently accepts Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, one is in the next stage, that of hearing the name and words of the truth. That is, one has for the first time heard the daimoku. When, having heard the daimoku, one proceeds to put it into practice, this is the third stage, that of perception and action. In this stage one perceives the object of devotion that embodies the three thousand realms in a single moment of life. When one succeeds in overcoming various obstacles of illusion, this is the fourth stage, that of resemblance to enlightenment. When one sets out to convert others, this is the fifth stage, that of progressive awakening. And when one comes at last to the realization that one is a Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies, then one is a Buddha of the sixth and highest stage, that of ultimate enlightenment.

Speaking of the chapter as a whole, the idea of gradually overcoming illusions is not the ultimate meaning of the “Life Span” chapter. You should understand that the ultimate meaning of this chapter is that ordinary mortals, just as they are in their original state of being, are Buddhas.

And if you ask what is the action and practice carried out by the Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies, it is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

* “The two Buddhas,” or more precisely two kinds of Buddhas, refers to the Buddha of the physical body and the Buddha of the Dharma body, and “the three Buddhas” refers to the three bodies of the Buddhas, that is, the Dharma body, the reward body, and the manifested body. While some Buddhist doctrines describe a Buddha as being one of these three bodies, T’ien-t’ai on the basis of the Lotus sutra states that the Buddha possesses all three.

** Indicates the Three Great Secret Laws of Nichiren’s teaching, that is, the object of devotion (honzon), the invocation (daimoku) of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, and the sanctuary (kaidan).

Point Two, regarding the words “You must listen carefully and hear of the Thus Come One’s secret and his transcendental powers.”

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: This passage supports the concept of one who is eternally endowed with the three bodies. Various interpretations on these words have been transmitted.

As for the transcendental powers, the actions that are carried out instant by instant, motion by motion, by us livings beings are regarded as transcendental powers. Thus the voices of the wardens of hell punishing the offenders are all to be termed transcendental powers. The countless things in the three thousand realms that undergo the process of birth, abiding, change, and extinction, are all in themselves embodiments of transcendental powers.

But in view of Nichiren and his followers, the realization and understanding of the concept of attainment of Buddhahood in one’s present form is what is meant by “the Thus Come One’s secret and his transcendental powers.” For outside of the attainment of Buddhahood, there is no “secret” and no “transcendental powers.”

The eternally endowed three bodies mentioned here are gained through a single word. And that single word is “faith” or “to believe.” Therefore the sutra says, “We will believe and accept the Buddha’s words (chapter sixteen). You should stop and consider the meaning of these two words “believe” and “accept.”

Point Three, regarding the words “But good men, it has been immeasurable, boundless hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions of nayutas of kalpas since I in fact attained Buddhahood.”

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: “I in fact” is explaining that Shakyamuni in fact attained Buddhahood in the inconceivably remote past. The meaning of this chapter, however, is that “I” represents the living beings of the Dharma-realm. “I” here refers to each and every being in the Ten Worlds. “In fact” establishes that “I” is a Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies. This is what is being called “fact.” “Attained” refers both to the one who attains and to the thing attained. “Attain” means to open or reveal. It is to reveal that the beings of the Dharma-realm are Buddhas eternally endowed with the three bodies. “Buddhahood” means being enlightened to this.

In the word “since” (irai), the element i (already, or having passed) refers to the past, and the element rai (coming) refers to the future. And the present is included in these to elements i and rai.

The passage is thus saying that “I [or the beings of the Dharma-realm] in fact revealed” the Buddhood that is immeasurable and boundless in both past and future. It is referring to the hundred words, and thousand factors and the three thousand worlds in a single moment of life. The two words “hundred” and “thousand” in the sutra passage refer to the hundred worlds and thousand factors. These then represent the reality of three thousand worlds in a single moment of life.

Now Nichiren and his followers, those who chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, are the original lord of teachings of the “Life Span” chapter. Generally speaking, the bodhisattvas of the theoretical teaching are not the sort of persons who are qualified to handle this chapter. For they employ an approach in which the theoretical teaching is on the surface and the essential teaching is in the background, while Nichiren and his followers employ an approach in which the essential teaching is in the forefront and the theoretical teaching is in the background.

Be that as it may, this chapter does not represent the teaching that is essential for the Latter Day of the Law. The reason is that this chapter embodies the Buddhism of the harvest suitable for the time when the Buddha was in the world. But only the five characters of the daimoku constitute the Buddhism of the sowing that is suitable for the present time. Thus, the Buddhism of the harvest is for the time when the Buddha was in the world, and the Buddhism of sowing is for the time after his passing. Hence it is the Buddhism of the sowing that is needed in the Latter Day of the Law.

Point Four, regarding the passage “The Thus Come One perceives the true aspect of the threefold world exactly as it is. There is (u) no (mu) ebb or flow of birth and death, and there is no existing in this world and later entering extinction.”

The Record of the Orally Transmitted teachings says: “The Thus Come One” is the living beings of the threefold world. When we look at these living beings through the eyes of the “Life Span” chapter, we can see and understand the true aspect of these beings who in their original state possess the Ten Worlds.

The aspect or characteristics of the threefold world are birth, aging, sickness, and death. But if we look at birth and death in terms of their true nature, then there is no birth and death. And if there is no birth and death, then there is no ebb and flow. Not only do birth and death not exist. To look on birth and death with repulsion and to try and escape from them is termed delusion, or a viewpoint of acquired enlightenment.* Seeing and understanding the originally inherent nature of birth and death is termed awakening, or original enlightenment.

Now when Nichiren and his followers chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, they realize the originally inherent nature of birth and death, and the originally inherent nature of ebb and flow.

We may also say that nonexistence (mu) and existence (u), birth and death, ebbing and flowing, existing in this world and entering extinction, are all, every one of them, actions of the eternally abiding inherent nature.

“Nonexistence” indicates that the actions of Myoho-renge-kyo are none other than the Dharma-realm. “Existence” indicates that hell, just as it is, is the total entity of the Wonderful Law originally endowed with the Ten Worlds. “Birth” indicates the Wonderful Law appearing as birth in accordance with changing circumstances. “Death” is death as seen through the “Life Span” chapter, in which the Dharma-realm is at the same time the true aspect of reality. Because there is “ebb,” there is “entering extinction,” and because there is “flow,” there is “existing in this world.”

Thus [in terms of the three truths], nonexistence, death, ebbing, and extinction represent the truth of non-substantiality or emptiness. Existence, birth, flowing, and existing in the world represent the truth of temporary existence. And [the true aspect of the threefold world that] the Thus Come One perceives exactly as it is, is the truth of the Middle Way.

[In terms of the three bodies], nonexistence, death, ebbing, and extinction represent the eternally endowed reward body. Existence, birth, flowing, and existing in the world represent the eternally endowed manifested body. And [the true aspect of the threefold world that] the Thus Come One perceives exactly as it is, is the eternally endowed Dharma body.

These three bodies are our own single bodies. This is why [Words and Phrases, volume nine] says, “The single body is none other the three bodies, a statement that is secret.” And this is also why it says, “The three bodies are none other than the single body, a statement that is secret.”

Thus the Buddha of the Lotus that is the entity of the Law (chapter eleven, point six), who is eternally endowed with the three bodies, is Nichiren and his disciples and lay supporters. That is because they embrace the title of honor, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

* “Acquired enlightenment” is used in contrast with “original enlightenment.” According to the doctrine of original enlightenment, enlightenment is not something one acquires through religious practice but something that exists in one’s original state of life. From this viewpoint, “acquired enlightenment” falls into the category of delusion, not true enlightenment.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I'm here repeating your words of wisdom my Brother! Thanks for asking and thanks for continuously posting as I also thank BOG, Bud, Easy, Bonzo, Sheep and all of the other Chanting Growers who keep this story alive. I bow in sincere and humble obeisance to you all!

A Big shout out to my Sister T! Damn I'm getting some big benefits!

And Easy! We finally had our face down after four years, and the representative had no responses to the points he faced. I got to say everything I have waited all this time to say! My confidence was contageous and we were prepared as a group with three years of weekly study and he could see the faith in the eyes of everyone in that room and he looked scared shitless.

I assume he'll chant more Daimoku before he visits the next time!

Much love and deepest respect to you all!

Thomas

Silence sometimes speaks louder than words. In addition, in my recent experience, the usage of vague boilerplate lingo is just as clear in a poison drum relationship sense. I'm so glad that you shared this timely news with us. The prime point is outlined in your most recent post as well:

"Thus the Buddha of the Lotus that is the entity of the Law (chapter eleven, point six), who is eternally endowed with the three bodies, is Nichiren and his disciples and lay supporters. That is because they embrace the title of honor, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

(Chapter Sixteen: The Life Span of the Thus Come One - Point Four, concerning Chapter Sixteen, The Life Span of the Thus Come One Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.)

"

OH HOW I RELISH THESE RECENT POSTS! MUCH LOVE ALL AROUND, BIG HUGS AND MUCH SUPPORT THROUGH DAIMOKU AND FAITH FOR US TO CONTINUE FORGING FORWARD AND SUPPORTING WORLD WIDE CHANTING GROWERS KOSEN-RUFU!

Supreme props and respect to all our Chanting Growers worldwide in every dimension! Love your country, love your life, chanting strong faithful daimoku everywhere you go. I've been doing as much shakubuku as possible standing alone, but with doubt-free faith all the way. I cherish these experiences so much, so many people have benefited from this movement spurred in the original thread (in my signature) in 2004. Calling all Bodhisattvas of the EARTH.... NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO!

WE ARE HERE! WE ARE GLOBAL! PEACE TO THOSE MIA FROM THE THREAD(s) FOR A WHILE. PEACE AND ENCOURAGEMENT TO KEEP SPREADING KOSEN-RUFU TO ALL!!!!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings Translated by Burton Watson

Chapter Sixteen: The Life Span of the Thus Come One

Point One, concerning Chapter Sixteen, The Life Span of the Thus Come One Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

“Nonexistence” indicates that the actions of Myoho-renge-kyo are none other than the Dharma-realm. “Existence” indicates that hell, just as it is, is the total entity of the Wonderful Law originally endowed with the Ten Worlds. “Birth” indicates the Wonderful Law appearing as birth in accordance with changing circumstances. “Death” is death as seen through the “Life Span” chapter, in which the Dharma-realm is at the same time the true aspect of reality. Because there is “ebb,” there is “entering extinction,” and because there is “flow,” there is “existing in this world.”

Thus [in terms of the three truths], nonexistence, death, ebbing, and extinction represent the truth of non-substantiality or emptiness. Existence, birth, flowing, and existing in the world represent the truth of temporary existence. And [the true aspect of the threefold world that] the Thus Come One perceives exactly as it is, is the truth of the Middle Way.

I was also recently inspired by the language with respect to M-Theory, as a physics lover, and the validity Buddhism brings to our current level of theoretical physics. Therefore, as we have been encouraged through your diligence in reminding us about the applicablity and clarity we receive in studying the Orally Transmitted Teachings to continue understanding Nichiren Daishonin's Buddha wisdom. Nichiren is also indicating here that the vast emptiness of space is also virtually closer than a planck length to every string, matter, dark matter, or dark energy component of our universe. The Darkness in the vastness of space is the "ebb". As such by practicing the Middle Way Nichiren's followers, the Thus Come One(s), can percieve the true reality of this practice and our supreme and limitless good fortune to be the specks of life in this part of the solar system, within this Galaxy, found in this time, zooming around in an expanding (but slightly less expanding) singular (or potentially multiple!) universe(s) of what we presently reffer to as "life". Or in terms of Nichiren's quote: "because there is “flow,” there is “existing in this world.”

The pleasure of feeling the warm sensation of agreement, wholehearted sincere admiration and respect for the comfort of definitive answers is priceless. All we can fathom, all that has been considered isn't even the tip of the iceberg. Our potential is limitless, our hearts have unlimited propulsion and endurance. Bravo to all enjoying these posts and participating with us! I'm incredible appreciative to be writing these mere words to express complex forms of gratitude and universal respect!

Latest posts

Latest posts