What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Entity of the Mystic Law

The Entity of the Mystic Law

Background

From the cover letter, it is clear that this treatise was addressed to Sairen-bo, one of Nichiren Daishonin’s followers. However, it does not bear the date or the name of the place where it was written. One view is that it was authored in the tenth year of Bun’ei (1273), at Ichinosawa on Sado Island, when the Daishonin was in exile.

Sairen-bo was a learned scholar of the Tendai school and had been living in exile on Sado for some unknown reason. Reply to Sairen-bo reveals that he converted to the Daishonin’s teachings in the second month of 1272.

The Entity of the Mystic Law explains the great benefit of having faith in the Gohonzon. When examined in terms of the concept of teaching, practice, and proof, this treatise corresponds to proof, while The Opening of the Eyes and The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind are related to teaching and practice, respectively. “Teaching” means the Buddha’s teaching, and “practice” means the practice that accords exactly with the teaching. “Proof ” means the merit resulting from the practice of the teaching.

Opening of the Eyes establishes a fivefold comparison, a system of comparative classification of all of Shakyamuni Buddha’s teachings, and demonstrates the superiority of the Lotus Sutra over all the other sutras. Ultimately it clarifies the supremacy of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo among all the Buddhist teachings, and accordingly it corresponds to “teaching.” Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind states that embracing faith in the Gohonzon is in itself enlightenment. Upholding the Mystic Law amounts to completing all the practices in which the Buddhas engaged and acquiring all the benefits and virtues that they obtained through these practices. Therefore, it corresponds to “practice.” Entity of the Mystic Law corresponds to “proof,” because it reveals that by believing in the Mystic Law one can manifest oneself as the entity of Myoho-renge-kyo.

In this treatise, Nichiren Daishonin uses the question-and-answer format to make his teaching more accessible to his contemporary and later followers. Its contents are divided into six parts. The first part teaches that the beings of the Ten Worlds and their environments, that is, all things and phenomena in the universe, are entities of Myoho-renge-kyo. Concerning this view, a question is posed: “If the entity of all living beings is the Mystic Law in its entirety, then are all the actions and their results that are associated with the nine worlds, from the world of hell up to that of bodhisattvas, in effect entities of the Mystic Law?” In reply to this question, the Daishonin states that, just as Buddhahood is the functioning of the Mystic Law, so likewise are the nine worlds of illusion and suffering. This is explained from the viewpoint of the defiled aspect and the pure aspect, both of which constitute the functioning of a single Law, that is, the Mystic Law.

The second part reveals from a more profound standpoint that actually only those who believe in the Mystic Law are entities of the Mystic Law. The Daishonin states, “The Buddha who is the entity of Myoho-renge-kyo, of the ‘Life Span’ chapter of the essential teaching, . . . is to be found in the disciples and lay believers of Nichiren.” In the third part, citing T’ien-t’ai’s Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra, the Daishonin discusses the lotus of the entity and also uses the lotus figuratively. The lotus flower was used as a metaphor to explain the lotus of the entity, since the entity of the Law itself is difficult to understand. He clarifies the lotus of the entity that inherently exists and is not created, and identifies it as the supreme single Law that simultaneously possesses both cause and effect. He also says that a sage perceived the reality of this Law and named it Myoho-renge. This is what the lotus of the entity means. The lotus blooms and produces seeds at the same time and so represents the simultaneity of cause and effect, which is the expression of the Mystic Law.

In the following three parts, the treatise describes those who have become enlightened to the lotus of the entity. The fourth part reveals that Shakyamuni Buddha became enlightened to the lotus of the entity numberless major world system dust particle kalpas in the past. Shakyamuni Buddha himself declared in the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra, “It has been immeasurable, boundless hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions of nayutas of kalpas since I in fact attained Buddhahood.”

Next, this treatise asserts that the passage in the “Expedient Means” chapter on the true aspect of all phenomena and the passage in the “Supernatural Powers” chapter on the transmission of the essence of the Lotus Sutra both contain perfect elucidations of the lotus of the entity. Then the treatise explains that the title “Myoho-renge-kyo” itself, appearing at the beginning of each of the twenty-eight chapters of the Lotus Sutra, represents the lotus of the entity. In response to the question regarding who was able to obtain the lotus of the entity during Shakyamuni Buddha’s lifetime, the fifth part singles out those who received instruction from the Buddha of the “Life Span” chapter of the essential teaching.

The sixth and last part clarifies who is able to obtain the lotus of the entity in the present Latter Day of the Law. This part also makes clear what Law it is that enables the people of the Latter Day to realize the lotus of the entity and to attain Buddhahood. Clarification of this point is found in the passage that states: “But those who follow the teachings of Nichiren . . . are able to gain the lotus of the entity and to manifest the mystic principle of the entity of the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light. This is because they put their faith in the golden words of the Buddha indicated in the ‘Life Span’ chapter of the essential teaching and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.” “The Buddha indicated in the ‘Life Span’ chapter” means the advocate of the teaching implicit in the depths of the “Life Span” chapter.

Subsequently this treatise explains why the Mystic Law was not propagated in the Former and Middle Days. It identifies Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as the great pure Law that is to spread in the Latter Day. Nan-yüeh and T’ient’ai of China and Dengyo of Japan employed the recitation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as their private practice, but they did not spread this practice to other people. The treatise sets forth two reasons for this fact: “First of all, the proper time to do so had not yet arrived. Second, these men were not the persons entrusted with the task of doing so.”

Then, in conclusion, the Daishonin writes, “It was for this reason that those such as Nan-yüeh, T’ien-t’ai, and Dengyo, though in their hearts they clearly perceived the truth, left it to the leader and teacher of the Latter Day to spread it widely, while they themselves refrained from doing so.”

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Opening of the Eyes establishes a fivefold comparison, a system of comparative classification of all of Shakyamuni Buddha’s teachings, and demonstrates the superiority of the Lotus Sutra over all the other sutras. Ultimately it clarifies the supremacy of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo among all the Buddhist teachings, and accordingly it corresponds to “teaching.” Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind states that embracing faith in the Gohonzon is in itself enlightenment. Upholding the Mystic Law amounts to completing all the practices in which the Buddhas engaged and acquiring all the benefits and virtues that they obtained through these practices. Therefore, it corresponds to “practice.” Entity of the Mystic Law corresponds to “proof,” because it reveals that by believing in the Mystic Law one can manifest oneself as the entity of Myoho-renge-kyo.

That sums it up pretty nicely. Teaching. Practice. Proof.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

A big shout out to Babbabud who personally gifted me a book called the 'Liturgy of Nichiren' which I find very helpful in my daily chanting. :) Thanks Babba! I have been making very good use of your gift...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Where there is challenge, there is progress.
Where there is challenge, there is hope.
Where there is challenge, there is joy.
Where there is challenge, there is happiness.
Where there is challenge, there is victory.

"All things in the universe are constantly engaged in challenge.
Flowers strive to break through the deep snows to send up new sprouts.
Waves tirelessly crash against rocks on the shore, wearing them down.
Day after day, the sun bursts forth from the darkness and emerges joyously.
All things quietly and tenaciously persevere,
working unceasingly to fulfill their unique mission,
whether seen or unseen.
Challenge! Challenge! Challenge!
That is what it means to be alive."

SGI Newsletter No. 8730, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 26: Chap. 2, Banner of
the Law 1, translated 4th March, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nichiren declares that the varied sufferings that all living beings undergo--all these are Nichiren's own sufferings."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 758, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings)
Selection source: Teachings of Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, February 24th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wherever people take on challenging circumstances
hope, happiness and a vibrant,
pulsating enthusiasm for life will certainly appear!
Therefore, (despite whatever odds you might face,)
try today to take one more step forwards.
I hope that each one of our days is filled with joyful advancement!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Why did the Daishonin go on with his struggle, accepting the inevitability of such harsh persecutions? 'Solely because I had long known that the people of Japan would meet with great suffering, and I felt pity for them,' he writes. This 'pity' is a warm spirit of concern to share others’ suffering; it is an empathy and understanding for what others are going through. It means 'relieving suffering,' as in the phrase 'relieving suffering and imparting joy,' and is an expression of the Daishonin’s profound compassion.

"It can also be said to be an overwhelming wish to completely remove not only the suffering that plagues people in the present, but also the suffering that we can envision them undergoing in the future. To be ready to face great obstacles and hardships in that cause, and not fear or shun them — that is the heart of the great compassionate struggle of Nichiren Buddhism.

"In 'The Opening of the Eyes,' the Daishonin writes: 'But as regards my ability to endure persecution and the wealth of my compassion for others, I believe they [the great teachers T’ien-t’ai and Dengyo] would hold me in awe' (WND-1, 242). Because he possessed such immense compassion, he fearlessly continued to proclaim the correct teaching.

"Speaking with reference to this above-mentioned passage from 'The Opening of the Eyes,' my mentor, second Soka Gakkai president Josei Toda, once said: 'Our efforts to introduce others to the Daishonin’s Buddhism, too, must brim with conviction and, as a manifestation of our great compassion, with courage. Where there is conviction, there will always be abundant courage.'"[1]

SGI Newsletter No. 8731, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY [45] “Reply to Yasaburo.” A Struggle of Words to Open the Way for Kosen-rufu, from the October 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated 6th March 2013

[1] Translated from Japanese. Josei Toda, Toda Josei Zenshu (Collected Writings
of Josei Toda) (Tokyo: Seikyo Shimbunsha, 1981), vol. 1, p. 47.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A good positive human relationship is one of life's priceless treasures.
It's very important therefore,
that we cherish each and every encounter we have with others.
Let's always try to take the initiative to build new friendships
with as many people as we possibly can!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I am praying that, no matter how troubled the times may become, the Lotus Sutra and the ten demon daughters will protect all of you, praying as earnestly as though to produce fire from damp wood, or to obtain water from parched ground."

(On Rebuking Slander of the Law and Eradicating Sins - The Writings of Nichiren Dashonin, Vol. 1, page ) Selection source: Soka Gakkai member's experience, Seikyo Shimbun, March 8th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No one can surpass a person of earnestness.
Let's first challenge to improve our own lives!
Let's make every effort to carry through with the utmost sincerity.
This is the path to victory!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"We will take on the challenge—
to teach one friend after another the way to happiness,
for the sake of peace and prosperity for all people;
to stand defiant in the face of the fierce storms of our karma,
so we can demonstrate the true potential of human beings;
to lead a life in which we can enjoy ourselves at ease (cf. LSOC16, 272),
so we can proudly declare how happy we are!

"I will keep moving forward—
for my single, small step today
will eventually forge a great path!
I will not be defeated—
for I know that, even after dark nights of raging blizzards,
the sun of victory will rise again tomorrow without fail!"

SGI Newsletter No. 8730, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 26: Chap. 2, Banner of the Law 1, translated 4th March, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"To discard the shallow and seek the profound is the way of a person of courage."

(On the Buddha's Prophecy - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 402) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, March 6th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo
Have I told you all how blessed we are lately :)

We must all be thinking the same thing! I believe that is called being of the same mind. And the mind of gratitude is the wellspring of good fortune! Which makes one grateful, and that gratitude brings more fortune!

"Suffer what there is to suffer and enjoy what there is to enjoy," because we are responsible for both of them! And the gratitude for knowing that is a joy we can live each moment--no matter what else is going on around us! Mugi-wasshin Baby!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

:thank you: T

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

I feel blessed every day to visit this thread and read the words of wisdom...

Many thanks Thomas!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo~

CrazyDog

Veteran
We are so grateful to all of those members
who are struggling with Mother Nature as farmers and fishermen.
You are indeed like the sun that illuminates your local community.*
May we all shine with boundless good fortune and benefit
by proudly dancing "a dance of fortune and victory,"**
showing actual proof of our victories
right where we are fulfilling our own unique missions!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We are so grateful to all of those members
who are struggling with Mother Nature as farmers and fishermen.
You are indeed like the sun that illuminates your local community.*
May we all shine with boundless good fortune and benefit
by proudly dancing "a dance of fortune and victory,"**
showing actual proof of our victories
right where we are fulfilling our own unique missions!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

* This weekend, in the national rebroadcast of the headquarters leaders' meeting, one strawberry farmer, a chapter leader, gave his experience of overcoming devastating loses in the wake of the tsunami of March 11th, 2011 in Tohoku. How he realised through his fervent daimoku, that the tsunami dumping so much sand and salt on his fields was in fact a benefit! He then went on to encourage 100 plus other farmers who had 100% completely given up hope to "fight back," won a humungous state of the art green house project for his fellow farmers and was then "conscripted" by all the farmers in his area to be their spokesman and finally got to meet the prime minister of Japan to explain all that he and his friends had gone through and hoped to achieve! And how he, to his face, hoped the new prime minister - Mr. Abe - would do a good job when he got back to Tokyo!

** And to top off the end of the rebroadcast, after President Ikeda was shown in two separate previously aired broadcasts giving some yet again vitally important guidance to the Tohoku members, President Ikeda danced the "Dance of Fortune and Victory."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Law cannot be propagated by itself. Since a person propagates the Law, the person and the Law are worthy of respect"

(Hyakurokkasho - Gosho Zenshu, page 856, translated in Living Buddhism Oct. 2002 issue) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, March 10th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'The reason that you have survived until now when so many have died was so that you would meet with this affair' (WND-1, 829), says the Daishonin. Being able to encounter the Mystic Law in the Latter Day and walk the path of worldwide kosen-rufu together as SGI members, united in the shared struggle of mentor and disciple, is itself an unsurpassed honour. It is a brilliant, golden life.

"Mr. Toda said: 'When life in this troubled world is hard, we are forced to ask ourselves why we were born. It is due to our karma from past existences that we were born in this world with the mission to carry out kosen-rufu in response to the Daishonin’s decree. It all comes down to whether we are aware of this or not.'[1]

"When, in the long course of life, you face a struggle that you feel is crucial or major, you may experience a sense that 'The reason that you have survived . . . was so that you would meet with this affair.' I have had numerous such struggles together with my mentor and my fellow members that made me think they were 'the reason I had survived until now.' And I’m sure that must be true of many of you, too.

"When we chant and take action with the resolve that this present place and time in which we find ourselves is a crucial battlefield for making fresh breakthroughs in kosen-rufu, and also a decisive opportunity for changing our own karma, the way to victory will open. The key is seeing times of great challenge as opportunities for great positive change, and joyfully tackling the situation. This is the hallmark of true champions and the way of life of people of genuine wisdom."

SGI Newsletter No. 8731, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY [45] “Reply to Yasaburo.” A Struggle of Words to Open the Way for Kosen-rufu, from the October 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated 6th March 2013

[1] Translated from Japanese. From an article in the Soka Gakkai’s monthly study journal, Daibyakurenge, August 1956 issue, p. 44.