X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LA Friendship Center, CA & Kosen-rufu Definition

[quote=SGI Dictionary]
    kosen-rufu
    [広宣流布] ( Jpn) Wide propagation, or wide proclamation and propagation. A term from the Lotus Sutra that literally means to declare and spread widely. The "Medicine King" (twenty-third) chapter of the Lotus Sutra reads, "After I [Shakyamuni Buddha] have passed into extinction, in the last five-hundred-year period you must spread it abroad widely (kosen-rufu) throughout Jambudvipa and never allow it to be cut off." Nichiren (1222-1282), identifying himself as the votary of the Lotus Sutra, made it his lifelong mission to fulfill the above injunction of the Buddha, that is, kosen-rufu. He saw widely propagating his teaching of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which he identified as the essence of the sutra, as the fulfillment of that mission.
    Nichiren wrote in his Selection of the Time, "Can there be any doubt that, after this period described in the Great Collection Sutra when 'the pure Law will become obscured and lost,' the great pure Law of the Lotus Sutra will be spread far and wide (kosen-rufu) throughout Japan and all the other countries of Jambudvipa?" (550).
    In The True Aspect of All Phenomena, he also wrote, "At the time when the Law has spread far and wide (kosen-rufu), the entire Japanese nation will chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, as surely as an arrow aimed at the earth cannot miss the target" (385).In On Practicing the Buddha's Teachings, he wrote: "The time will come when all people will abandon the various kinds of vehicles and take up the single vehicle of Buddhahood, and the Mystic Law alone will flourish throughout the land. When the people all chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the wind will no longer buffet the branches, and the rain will no longer break the clods of soil. The world will become as it was in the ages of Fu Hsi and Shen Nung" (392). He meant that the spread of the Mystic Law would bring about peace in society and nature.
    [quote]

The Mission of the Los Angeles Friendship Center

Spread The Circles of Friendship

The following is SGI President Ikeda’s Message upon the opening of the Los Angeles Friendship Center, Sept 21.
    My dear friends of Los Angeles, whom I love and respect and with whom I share so many precious memories-my heartfelt congratulations on opening this wonderful Los Angeles Friendship Center!

This Center is a palace of victory, a precious manifestation of the faith of each of you. It is also a symbol of hope, the certainty that the Kosen Rufu movement in Los Angeles will continue to advance and develop by further spreading circles of friendship. I hope that you will love and care for this center, making it an ever more beautiful hole of good fortune, a castle of friendship open to your community.

You have lived up to your noble mission as Bodhisattvas of the Earth. You have exerted yourselves without cease in the practice of easing the pain and increasing the joy of others. You have spread strong and deep roots of service and trust into the soil of society. You have enabled our SGI movement to grow into a magnificent and towering tree that remains unshaken in the most violent storms. You who have shared the struggle for Kosen Rufu with me have accumulated good fortune that is indeed infinite and beyond measure.

To quote the Gosho: “If itai Doshin (Many in body, one in mind) prevails among the people, they will achieve all their goals, where as dotai ishin (one in body, different in mind), they can achieve nothing remarkable” (The Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, p.153). It is my sincere hope that you will continue to enjoy ideal unity as communities and that in bright spirits you will climb, powerfully, one step at a time, the towering peak of human revolution and Kosen Rufu.

I would like to conclude by voicing my prayer that each of my dear precious friends, who protect the headquarters of Kosen Rufu in America, will enjoy lives of unsurpassed happiness.
    Click This Link and let's chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....e-kyo&page=355

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....3819&page=1593 --best thread off all the threads throughout this universe.

Comment

Nam myoho renge kyo

Thanks to everyone who contributes here .. its what keeps us rolling along

Nam myoho renge kyo
      (Medical Patient In Compliance)

Nam myoho renge kyo !! Mugi wasshin
      your bud
      babba

Peace/ Be here now

Babba's Farm L.L.C.

The political views, or conspiracy theories, of icmag ownership, do not reflect my own views and are sole property of the participants

Comment

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo~

Thank you Easy for sharing that experience with us! It sounds like an enlightening time was had by all who attended.

~Nam Myoho Renge Kyo~

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Comment

President Ikeda's Guidance for the week and today:

Words of the Week

March 18, 2013

Spring, a time for cultivating friendships,
          has arrived!
          Every time we take action, a drama is born.
          Whenever we engage in conversation,
          joy is spread.
          Let's bring a profusion of "flowers of dialogue"
          to bloom while accumulating countless
          "treasures of the heart."

To My Friends

March 18, 2013

Everyone is capable.
          With unwavering belief in
          the Buddha nature of every person,
          let's patiently and determinedly
          send words of encouragement
          and foster new people of ability.
          Click This Link and let's chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....e-kyo&page=355

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....3819&page=1593 --best thread off all the threads throughout this universe.

Comment

We are accumulating Treasures of the Heart!

Originally posted by CrazyDog View Post
            If we take bold, courageous action
            for the sake of our friends' happiness
            our own lives shine, too.
            It is the accumulation of such selfless acts
            that builds indestructible "treasures of the heart"*.

Nam myoho renge kyo!
            The most badass BUDDHIST MONK EVER, Nichiren Daishonin, gave us the Gohonzon so that we could chant with him in this life and the next. Just as we have in every lifetime! We are all advancing kosen-rufu here everyday, thanks to all!

I've learned about this taking the necessary steps to support my friends through my daimoku. When I notice certain members not posting for a while like Socal, Trichy, Forest, Desi, Scegy, Always, Bonz and recently the Babbas (and now PTD), I send you all even more Daimoku!

Thanks for keeping this movement going! This thread is my home SGI district and where I come to chant, study and grow

Comment

Boku Appreciation and Respect to Chris Payaso, Skip, the Owners and Admins of ICMAG!

I'm super grateful today to have this site available for us to grow, to practice Buddhism, learn, share about our plants and to be happy! This site is an amazing resource so non-growers and growers alike could unite under this green umbrella. Its amazing that we could also chant here together. I stay chanting "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!"

"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbor doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood. Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection. Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life. This is what I have taught my disciples morning and evening, and yet they begin to harbor doubts and abandon their faith."
              The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 283
              The Opening of the Eyes (Written to Shijo Kingo in February 1272)

Comment

Prayer is saying the words "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!" Over and Over AGAIN

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
                Tuesday, March 19, 2013:

"There are many elements involved in a prayer being answered, but the important thing is to keep praying until it is. By continuing to pray, you can reflect on yourself with unflinching honesty and begin to move your life in a positive direction on the path of earnest, steady effort. Even if your prayer doesn't produce concrete results immediately, your continual prayer will at some time manifest itself in a form greater than you had ever hoped."

Comment

Hi guys! I am safe and sound and recovering from my travels. Hope all is well with everyone. I'll get in all my calls this week, but may not be in a position to post as much as usual for seven more days. Can't wait to get my ass home. Where my heart is!!!!

(And my incredible, brilliant, hot wife and happy, bright and beautiful children.)

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! No prayer goes unanswered! Make the life you want through your own efforts, no matter who you are. It's simple. Your own efforts are what make your life anyway.

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas
                  Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Glad all is well Thomas! Safe travels!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Comment

When we encourage our young people,
                      let's encourage them like a warm spring breeze.
                      It's very important that we genuinely believe,
                      "This person will become a far greater individual than I am,"
                      and at the same time sincerely respect them.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
                      I pazzi osano dove gli angeli temono d'andare....

Comment

Keep on smiling
                        Nam myoho renge kyo
                        (Medical Patient In Compliance)

Nam myoho renge kyo !! Mugi wasshin
                        your bud
                        babba

Peace/ Be here now

Babba's Farm L.L.C.

The political views, or conspiracy theories, of icmag ownership, do not reflect my own views and are sole property of the participants

Comment

To all of those who are struggling in
                          challenging situations at work,
                          never give up, try your best to be successful
                          right where you are!
                          It is also in such hard and difficult times
                          that the opportunity to build trust with others arises.
                          Let's become the champions of human revolution!
                          I pazzi osano dove gli angeli temono d'andare....

Comment

VICTORY OVER KARMA FRIENDS!

Hi everybody,

PasstheDoobie wanted to convey that he will be back on the thread by this coming Tuesday Thank you everybody for participating, posting and introducing others to the practice!

I'm so stoked to be alive in this moment and looking to scontinue developing my fullest Buddharific potential as I am the Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies. Let's keep winning my friends and thank you all soooo much

Kindest kind regards,
                            MyohoDisco

Comment

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!

six stages of practice
                              [六即] (Jpn roku-soku ) Also, six identities. Six stages in the practice of the Lotus Sutra formulated by T'ient'ai (538-597) in Great Concentration and Insight. They are as follows: (1) The stage of being a Buddha in theory. At this stage one has not yet heard the correct teaching and is ignorant of Buddhism. Nevertheless, a single moment of life is in itself identical to the truth of the matrix of the Thus Come One; in other words, one is a potential Buddha. (2) The stage of hearing the name and words of the truth. At this stage through the spoken or written word one comes to an intellectual understanding that one has the Buddha nature and that all phenomena are manifestations of the Buddhist Law. This may take place through reading or hearing the words of the sutras. (3) The stage of perception and action. Here one perceives the truth [of the Buddha nature] within oneself through practice, the truth and the wisdom to perceive it are in accord with each other, and one's words match one's actions. (4) The stage of resemblance to enlightenment. At this stage, one eliminates the first two of the three categories of illusion and attains purification of the six sense organs. Having advanced this far, one's wisdom resembles that of a Buddha. In terms of the fifty-two stages of practice, this stage corresponds to the first ten stages, the ten stages of faith. (5) The stage of progressive awakening. This is the stage at which one eradicates all illusions except fundamental darkness and awakens progressively to the truth of one's Buddha nature. In terms of the fifty-two stages, it corresponds to the eleventh (the first stage of security) through the fifty-first (the stage of near-perfect enlightenment). (6) The stage of ultimate enlightenment, or the highest stage of practice. At this stage, one finally eliminates fundamental darkness and fully manifests the Buddha nature. This corresponds to the stage of perfect enlightenment, the last of the fifty-two stages.
                              T'ient'ai taught that all people at whatever stage of practice are equally endowed with the potential for Buddhahood. In this way he prevented his disciples from falling into the error of self-deprecation or becoming discouraged. On the other hand, possessing the Buddha nature is not the same as attaining Buddhahood. T'ient'ai therefore divided practice into six progressive stages to prevent his disciples from falling into the error of arrogance and relaxing their efforts. In Great Concentration and Insight, he states: "If one lacks faith, one will object that it pertains to the lofty realm of the sages, something far beyond the capacity of one's own wisdom to understand. If one lacks wisdom, one will become puffed up with arrogance and will claim to be the equal of the Buddha."
                              The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings gives Nichiren's (1222-1282) interpretation of the six stages of practice: "Speaking in terms of the six stages of practice, the Thus Come One in this ['Life Span'] chapter is an ordinary mortal who is in the first stage, that of being a Buddha in theory. When one reverently accepts Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, one is in the next stage, that of hearing the name and words of the truth. That is, one has for the first time heard the daimoku. When, having heard the daimoku, one proceeds to put it into practice, this is the third stage, that of perception and action. In this stage, one perceives the object of devotion that embodies the three thousand realms in a single moment of life. When one succeeds in overcoming various illusions and obstacles, this is the fourth stage, that of resemblance to enlightenment. When one sets out to convert others, this is the fifth stage, that of progressive awakening. And when one comes at last to the realization that one is a Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies, then one is a Buddha of the sixth and highest stage, that of ultimate enlightenment.
                              "Speaking of the chapter as a whole, the idea of gradually overcoming delusions is not the ultimate meaning of the 'Life Span' chapter. You should understand that the ultimate meaning of this chapter is that ordinary mortals, just as they are in their original state of being, are Buddhas.
                              "And if you ask what is the action or practice carried out by the Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies, it is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

Comment

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Buddharific is my new word of the day! Thank you for that and the wisdoms you so freely share with us.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Easy, it is always a pleasure to hear from you in this realm... sometimes it seems a bit lonely, and then you come cruising along with that big smile! Groovy...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Comment

Working...
                                X