What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So this thread is focused on the Soka Gakkai International a lay organization of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism that doesn't jive with the above referenced flow. No Priests around here, or wolves in sheeps clothing. I have no clue what possesses certain folks to obstruct justice and yet I have mercy for the short sighted post by Honnen. Mercy in the sense that the message's contents should be summarily refuted by directing all participants and observers of this thread to also read the precedant established prior to this page. There is no way that Nichiren Daishonin would ever allow someone to slander Buddhism and society, by allowing them to preach a false Buddhist doctrine. Essentially Honnen's message is incomplete, shallow and inflamatory. There are so many trolls on the internet and this also holds true for those who try and create artificial barriers towards supporting any person in attaining their Buddhahood in this life just as they are.

In ancient times, when the oceans were lower and societies that once flourished have never been known or spoken of in the present, people were not able to end the sufferings of birth and death. Buddhism taught many things and yet Shakymuni still announced that Nichiren would arrive in the latter day of The Law.

"Nichiren expressed the content of Shakyamuni's (the historical founder of Buddhism in India) Lotus Sutra in a form that all people could practice. This form is the invocation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which he defined as the Law implied in the Lotus Sutra.

Whereas the Lotus Sutra is an expression of Shakyamuni's enlightenment to the Law of Life, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo actually is the Law of life, or true essense of life permeating everything in the universe. Nichiren Daishonin interpreted the Lotus Sutra in relation to Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, and taught that this was the ultimate Law that all Buddhist sutras, especially the Lotus Sutra, had sought to express." (www.sgi-usa.org)

Therefore, there is no validity to Honnen's commentary in the sense that it really does not apply to those chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with faith in the Gohonzon (Nichiren life inscribed by him in sumi ink). However, Honnen does prove that the followers of this Buddhism are persecuted, just like Nichiren was, because we are the true practicioners of the Lotus Sutra's intent. In other words, because we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo we must also reach out to others and spread this practice far and wide as our means to develop a lasting peace throughout the world. This peace movement, or kosen-rufu, will surely have a beneficial effect for even trolls and slanders. It is because Nichiren even taught his followers, through letters he wrote them, that even those people who slander the Lotus Sutra develop a connection to the Myoho-renge-kyo Buddha (Nichiren) thus enabling them to also (potentially)attain Buddhahood in this lifetime. Who knows if Honnen's karma will ever allow this person to get over their relatively psuedo-inflated Ego, but thats up to them. Meanwhile, I've continued to chant for the success of this thread, our members, guests, participants, observers and your families. When I offer prayers to the members who have passed away you can also guarentee I'm chanting for our deceased relatives.

Whether our connections are through the internet, or face-to-face, lets all continue to refreshen our spirits through daimoku (chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!) and be happy (or happier)! I really mean that, even the sour pusses - gimme a smile! :biggrin: CHEESE!

Let's win with faith, compassion and sincerity. Let's build bridges of friendship, goodwill and trust in our communities (icmag, local, etc.) Let's encourage each other to chant daimoku no matter what.

Take that refutation and smoke it, Mr. Rogow! Well said Brother!

Mugi-Wasshin Baby! And the proof of Actual Fact!!!:peacock:

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

CrazyDog

Veteran
Let's continue to cherish and look out for our old friends.
And let's use any opportunity we have to make new ones.
Real genuine friendship is a strong and dependable force
that helps advance society and makes the times better.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the source of unlimited possibilities!
It is the wellspring of boundless hope and courage.
Nichiren Daishonin assures us: "No prayer will go unanswered."*
So let's advance with resolute, unwavering faith.

Daisaku Ikeda

*"If you have faith in this Gohonzon and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo even for a short while, no prayer will go unanswered, no offence unexpiated, no good fortune unbestowed, and all righteousness proven." (Commentary on "The True Object of Worship" by Nichikan Shonin)

** When we chant daimoku just as the Daishonin instructs, our voices resonate throughout the entire universe. Just as a soft voice can be transformed into a booming voice through the use of a good megaphone, when we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with heartfelt prayer, we can move the entire universe. As Nichikan, the twenty-sixth high priest, says: "[If you have faith in this Gohonzon and chant Nam-myoho-renge- kyo even for a short while] no prayer will go unanswered, no offence unexpiated, no good fortune unbestowed, and all righteousness proven."

Nichiren Daishonin says that it is not difficult for those who chant the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra to become Buddhas equal to Shakyamuni (WND, 1030). This statement is very significant. He says this because the Mystic Law is the origin of all Buddhas. - (The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, Volume 5, page 152)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"With solid determination, Roald Amundsen (1872–1928), the first person to reach the South Pole and his team prepared assiduously to achieve their dream of reaching the South Pole. From the days of his youth, Amundsen believed that firm resolve was indispensable for attaining one’s aims.[1] Such determination can be described as the earnest commitment to keep moving steadily ahead like an accurate clock, making every effort and preparation necessary for carrying out one’s goals in daily life.

"In one of his letters, the Daishonin strongly cautions his youthful disciple Nanjo Tokimitsu to never let his mind stray, but to remain firm in faith at all times (cf. WND-2, 638).

"A strong determination is not something that changes or shifts with momentary feelings or emotions. Neither is a vow. Great things are only accomplished with the resolve or commitment to continue challenging oneself, taking one step forwards after another, no matter what."

SGI Newsletter No. 8708, Our Brilliant Path to Victory, Bring Forth Fresh Passion and Energy!—Part 2 [of 2], from the 19th Oct., 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated 22nd Jan. 2013

[1] Translated from Japanese. Edouard Calic, Amunzen: Kyokuchi Tankenka no Eiko to Higeki (Amundsen: The Glory and Tragedy of a Polar Explorer), translated by Takeo Niizeki and Kenji Matsutani (Tokyo: Hakusuisha, 1967), p. 57.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"What is most important is that, by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo alone, you can attain Buddhahood. It will no doubt depend on the strength of your faith. To have faith is the basis of Buddhism."

(The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 832) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", January 30th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Were they not Bodhisattvas of the Earth, they could not chant the daimoku."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 385)
Selection source: The New Human Revolution, Seikyo Shimbun, January 12th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In a way, life can be described as a struggle to never lose hope. Life, and especially the days of your youth, can seem like a series of problems and worries—when your test scores are bad, or your family situation is tough, or you’re struggling with money, or when there’s a huge gap between your ideals and reality, and so forth. You may start to think that you’re no good, that you’re helpless, and feel negative about yourself and despair. But that’s not true. Buddhism teaches that we are all born with a noble mission in life and can all shine in our own unique way. And how do we make ourselves shine? Through persevering.

“Certainly things don’t always work out as we hope. We experience failures, we have setbacks, and at times we may even lose our drive for life. But at such times, we need to get back on our feet again and advance towards our goals. Having that kind of perseverance is crucial.

“Tell yourself, ‘It’s fine that I’m not capable enough yet! I don’t care how others see me!’ filled with the determination to not be defeated!”

SGI Newsletter No. 8696. The New Human Revolution––Vol. 26: Chap. 1,Atsuta 31, translated 8th Jan., 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Unity does not mean forcing everyone into a single, uniform mold. Nichiren Daishonin writes: 'If the spirit of many in body but one in mind prevails among the people, they will achieve all their goals, whereas if one in body but different in mind, they can achieve nothing remarkable' (WND-1, 618). He says 'many in body,' not 'one in body.' It is important for us to respect each other’s individuality, assist and support each other in a spirit of friendship and goodwill, and enable everyone to make the most of their unique qualities."

SGI Newsletter No. 8650, Humanistic Teachings for Victory, (6) Unity Is a Powerful Force for Victory, Standing Up Resolutely. From 18th April 18, 2012, issue of the Soka Shimpo, the Soka Gakkai youth division’s fortnightly newspaper, translated 15th Oct. 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Not once have I thought of retreat."

(The Great Battle - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Volume 2, page 465) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, October 21st, 2012

iConnex

Veteran
hello brothers im Back =)
Go home and read these beautiful words is always a great pleasure...

keep on chanting!!!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"You will grow younger, and your good fortune will accumulate."

(The Unity of Husband and Wife - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 464)
Selection Source: Myoji no Gen, Seikyo Shinbun, September 20th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"One’s underlying attitude when facing a predicament can make one weak or strong. For example, the impulse to protect only oneself can be relatively weak and fragile, but a mother’s impulse to protect her child from danger is very powerful. The spirit to support others makes people strong.

"Kosen-rufu is an effort of supreme good and the greatest way to benefit others. The determination to protect the Soka Gakkai, for the sake of kosen-rufu, is a driving force for maximising one’s potential."

SGI Newsletter No. 8623, The New Human Revolution Vol. 25: Chap. 4, Bastion of Capable People 27, translated 19th Sep. 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Daishonin cites the words: 'Since the Law is wonderful, the person is worthy of respect; since the person is worthy of respect, the land is sacred'[1] (WND-1, 1097). The person who upholds the supreme Law deserves supreme respect. This is true humanism. How respectworthy, then, are all of you who are striving so hard to spread the Mystic Law! . . .

"Mr. Toda [also] gave guidance [on this point], quoting a passage from the Gosho 'On the Four Stages of Faith and the Five Stages of Practice.' The Daishonin states in that passage that his disciples who chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo 'surpass by a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, million times the founders of the . . . various other schools of Buddhism.' And he adds, 'Therefore, I entreat the people of this country: Do not look down upon my disciples!' (WND-1, 788).

"You are not only chanting the Mystic Law (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo), but also spreading it throughout Japan and the world. You are carrying out the widespread propagation of the Law. As such you have a truly incredible stature.

"The Daishonin called on the people of Japan and the entire world not to look down on his disciples....

"If you should encounter criticism or ridicule arising from others’ ignorance or lack of understanding about our movement, just laugh it off, telling yourself, 'Why should I let such a person bother me? Am I going to let this little obstacle stop me?' and continue to live with pride and confidence."

SGI Newsletter No. 8615, Excerpts from SGI President Ikeda’s speech at the 6th Soka Gakkai Headquarters Leaders Meeting in Tokyo, 21st May, 2001. These excerpts were featured in a video of the speech, which was shown during the 60th Soka Gakkai Headquarters Leaders Meeting in Tokyo, 6th Sep., 2012. The excerpted text appeared in the 14th Sep., 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, the Soka Gakkai daily newspaper. Translated 14th Sep. 2012

[1] T’ien-t’ai, The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra.

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Daishonin cites the words: 'Since the Law is wonderful, the person is worthy of respect; since the person is worthy of respect, the land is sacred'[1] (WND-1, 1097). The person who upholds the supreme Law deserves supreme respect. This is true humanism. How respectworthy, then, are all of you who are striving so hard to spread the Mystic Law! . . .

"Mr. Toda [also] gave guidance [on this point], quoting a passage from the Gosho 'On the Four Stages of Faith and the Five Stages of Practice.' The Daishonin states in that passage that his disciples who chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo 'surpass by a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, million times the founders of the . . . various other schools of Buddhism.' And he adds, 'Therefore, I entreat the people of this country: Do not look down upon my disciples!' (WND-1, 788).

"You are not only chanting the Mystic Law (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo), but also spreading it throughout Japan and the world. You are carrying out the widespread propagation of the Law. As such you have a truly incredible stature.

"The Daishonin called on the people of Japan and the entire world not to look down on his disciples....

"If you should encounter criticism or ridicule arising from others’ ignorance or lack of understanding about our movement, just laugh it off, telling yourself, 'Why should I let such a person bother me? Am I going to let this little obstacle stop me?' and continue to live with pride and confidence."

Kinda what Easy said, isn't it? I guess he has the point! It goes without saying that this applies to all of us everywhere!

Displaying the Proof of Actual Fact!

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And yet, though one might point at the earth and miss it, though one might bind up the sky, though the tides might cease to ebb and flow and the sun rise in the west, it could never come about that the prayers of the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra would go unanswered."

(On Prayer - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 345) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, September 19th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"(T'ien-t'ai states, 'From the indigo, an even deeper blue.' This passage means that, if one dyes something repeatedly in indigo, it becomes even bluer than the indigo leaves.) The Lotus Sutra is like the indigo, and the strength of one's practice is like the deepening blue."

(Hell Is the Land of Tranquil Light - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 457)Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's essay, Seikyo Shimbun, January 1st, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Through sincere and caring dialogue with others,
let's expand our circles of friendship and trust
in our precious local communities!
It is the strength that we gain by supporting one another
that creates great hope for tomorrow.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The concept that the attitudes and actions of all living beings are clearly perceived by the Buddhas and bodhisattvas throughout the universe is another way of saying that the impartial law of the causality of life applies to all."

SGI Newsletter No. 8187, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 24: Chap. 2, Vigilant Safeguarding 16, translated March 23rd, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

(The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 832)
Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, March 26th, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.