What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

scegy

hello to all Thinkers on this forum!
i started to read this forum untill i noticed that there are1 180 pages :) but i read the first 20 so i think i know what u'r talking here
i must say that i was touched knowing that other ppl think like me, but at the same time i felt terribly sad because i see no light here....i've had these kind of thoughts in my mind since i was little....and untill i met MJ i couldn't get out of my depression, i was effected by every single person i met, i always put other ppls infront of me...and after thinking a lot with MJ i realized that it is I that i should be worring about and taking care of in the first place then the others...i know it's a common expression but i didn't really understand it until reacently...i could go on...but let's stop
the more i live, the more i realize that most of the ppl on this planet don't like themselves and therefore they give the same respect to others.....problem? capitalism mixed with politics....and their consequences.

solution? how many ppl watches tv, reads the newspapers, goes to partys and drops dead....list goes on and on

do you see what i mean?

G

scegy said:
hello to all Thinkers on this forum!
i started to read this forum untill i noticed that there are1 180 pages :) but i read the first 20 so i think i know what u'r talking here
i must say that i was touched knowing that other ppl think like me, but at the same time i felt terribly sad because i see no light here....i've had these kind of thoughts in my mind since i was little....and untill i met MJ i couldn't get out of my depression, i was effected by every single person i met, i always put other ppls infront of me...and after thinking a lot with MJ i realized that it is I that i should be worring about and taking care of in the first place then the others...i know it's a common expression but i didn't really understand it until reacently...i could go on...but let's stop
the more i live, the more i realize that most of the ppl on this planet don't like themselves and therefore they give the same respect to others.....problem? capitalism mixed with politics....and their consequences.

solution? how many ppl watches tv, reads the newspapers, goes to partys and drops dead....list goes on and on

do you see what i mean?

Welcome!
Would you believe me if I told you we are on the same page! I too struggle within myself and externally as well! I also detest the sick effect capitalism has engrained upon society and the lack of fruitful progression in many realms of polictics actually regressing since the self distructive nature of SOME have overrun the masses in many instances, look at the "dark" continent, check out the sick and hungary in anytown in the world and realize we need to free ourselves and engage in a positive movement somewhere along the line.

That's where SGI comes into play. SGI is a buddhist organization which promotes Kosen-rufu, or world peace. It is possible once it begins with you, but believe you me it only gets tougher! Ohh i know, I jumped into SGI looking for a panacea for lifes woes and what I have found is the conduit into enlightenment! The path is long and arduous but the results are relative to your PRACTICE! in other words the more you put faith in yourselve and empower yourself the more you grow and the more benefits you will reap! Freeing yourself and propagating the fruits of your wisdom will only make you chant, NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO more vigorously! It is our mantra and the saying of sayings, omnipotent words when examined further will help you come more into touch with your Buddha nature. Its within all of us bodhisattvas of the earth! Believe in yourself and bring upon the most excellent lifeforce, laden within you!

Thanks for stopping by, your almost there!

scegy

<quote>Believe in yourself and bring upon the most excellent lifeforce, laden within you!</quote>

that is how i live, but i'm a minority in my generation that's the problem...i'm afraid that we've come to far in destroying nature to overcome our greed and live in harmony with nature again and ppl around u.
why is that? simple rule of harmony, give some take some, but since we are so many we can only take, and give shit the way we work.
tell me this
how many factories do you know in ur place that have all their side products recycled?
how many ppl prefere to ware more clothes instead off turning on the heat?

i try to live as less harmfull to nature as i can but today's lifestyle forces me to do the opposite sometimes.so you see i contradict my believes even as i speak here.
so the question follows, how can i live without harming the nature and influincing on the others to do so too?if they can not see the dillusion i see...i should move to the moon? ofcourse i do know ppl that live by the same principles as i do but they'r 1 to 10 000
i see no end to this, i once thought that weed makes me think this...i felt depressed untill i thought that.....you see, harmony is what makes this whole shit spinning around and working the way it does...it's a simple thing, yet so uncomprihensive to many!
if all ppl grew...they'd learn to be patient ;)
probably a question pops in your head reading this, : "what do you want then?"
somthing that i'm certian that i'll never have :)

Last edited:
S

strain_searcher

PassTheDoobie said:
We have experienced something personally that has led us to believe that the ultimate Law of Life and karma is, cause and effect. There is individual karma and there is collective karma. Why do all of the people from varying backgrounds sometimes have collective fates (9/11 for example)?
T

Just wondering, did you mean the people that died in 9/11 had bad karma? And does believing in buddha help avoid dying this way. I believe in karma for sure as well as God. Just trying to understand what you mean. I have chanted before and I know Tina Turner is also big on it. :chin:

G

Had an incredible meeting today! :woohoo:

scegy, :wave: nice to see you again, enjoyed the post, please come back and share more you'll find many of will and can relate to you! we are all the 1 out of 10,000! welcome

SS: nice to see you! :wave:

Bob: ting tan juester doo! whats good for me is great for you! Hope you stop back in and make another profound statement! :yummy:

Nam Myoho Renge KYO!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Easy so glad you enjoyed your meeting today. We also had a great group chant. Our little group has grown quickly... its getting to where I always have my eye open for a place that we can chant as we are just about outgrowing the private residence we are at. Im sure as we stretch out this summer a place will make itself known. I hope everyone is having a good positive week :)
PTD hope all things with the pregnancy are flowing along .... and mamma is still having an easy time of it. Please give the whole group our love.
SoCal where you been ? Hope all is well.
to everyone else that dropped in ... thanks for coming by .
Much love to everyone!!!
nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(In reverse order:)

Hey Bud! Last sonogram is Monday. The twins are putting on weight daily. She's pretty sure they are bigger than the trips were at this time, which was when they came out. So the endurance test begins. You would freak to see how big she is!!! And today she noticed she had more room in her stomach after her meal which means they have started to drop, so they could come sooner than we thought. In reality they are big enough to come out now. Your message of love was received with a lot of love in return. You and MrsB have truly become close and personal friends and we cannot express enough our gratitude for your love, support, and concern. Thank you~!

Easy! You da man, dude! What fantastic posts! I can't tell you how glad I am to know you and have you contributing so constructively towards the thread. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to you Brother! YOU ARE THE ROAR OF THE LION! You have my deepest respect! Your friendship is definitely a gift from the Gohonzon. Thank you for the countinuously inspiring words so eloquently delivered. Keep up all that chanting I hear in what you have to say.

Bob: What the hell was that? German??? I assume that means something, so whatever it is, I send it right back at you! (Beware the guardians of this thread. Sometimes they lack a sense of humor. Cause and effect, as always, can be very strict.)

searcher: Dude! Where ya been? So good to see you. If you have chanted before, start chanting again! Now!!! "Just wondering, did you mean the people that died in 9/11 had bad karma? And does believing in buddha help avoid dying this way." Brother, I never labeled it. But I don't think that "good karma" or "bad karma" is the issue. To die instantaneously might be considered a good karma compared to a long drawn out suffering from injuries or illness. To experience the futility, fear, and horror of those trapped on the upper floors, or to be pumped to the max with adrenaline full of hope to save others, as many of the fire fighters must have been, are two entirely different life conditions to depart this world in. Yet the karma to die that day would have been the same. Quite often we view life as the only thing that matters, when in fact, life continues in either a manifest or latent phase eternally. Nothing is forever, even death. Believing in Buddha is not the issue. Buddha is not separate from you. You are a Buddha. EVERYTHING possesses a Buddha nature. Manifesting that Buddha nature makes you a Buddha. That happens from chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to the Gohonzon. So would practicing Buddhism as Nichiren instructed save one from such an experience? I believe it would. When you chant, your Buddha nature becomes manifest and you become in rhythm with your environment. That would allow you to mitigate anything, even if it appeared not to. Again in my opinion, to die instantly, while performing an act of Bodhisattva action, trying to save others, is to have lived life to it's fullest, no matter how old you are when that happens. But don't forget, a lot more people made it out that day than didn't. The collective karma of those that did, is certainly different than the collective karma of those that didn't. People die all the time. It is not a matter of how you die, but one of what life condition you were in in your last moments. No one knows that but the person dying. Even people that chant sometimes meet untimely ends, although that is a rare occurance. Nichiren had disciples that were killed, but many many more that should have been, or could have been, that weren't. I pray not about when I will die, but that I have the fortune say Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with my last breath. Longevity is relative. This is just another lifetime out of many.

scegy: I almost don't know where to begin. First of all, we aren't "Thinkers". We are people who practice the Buddhism of Nichiren and are attempting to share it with others, encouraging them to also try chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as we are. This Buddhism is based on action rather than contemplation. If you think you caught the gist in the first 20 pages, it wasn't revealed in your salutation or any of the posts you've made so far. This whole thread is about chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. In the absence of trying that as a prerequisite to any real understanding, I suggest you review the last twenty pages to gain more clarity of what we are talking about here. According to the teachings of Nichiren, whether you see any light is a reflection of you--of YOUR LIFE CONDITION. That is not necessarily a reflection of your intellect or the reality experienced by others. Personally, I see light everywhere! However, I am in agreement with your perception that it is just as important to take care of oneself as it is to committing oneself to the care of others. The more I read what you have to say, the more I am convinced you would get a tremendous amount of benefit from reading more of the thread. Easydisco has already addressed some of the things you said from the perspective of our Buddhist practice. I perceive all the things you point out, but they don't make me sad or unhappy. And that doesn't mean that I care less about them than you. I have already embraced a vehicle that allows me to change my own circumstance and in doing so change the circumstances (environment) surrounding me. I chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and practice the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin. That empowerment has been something completely transferrable to others, as you will find by trying it yourself. Please do and keep reading! Thank you for taking the time to express yourself! (I'll respond to your PM via PM)

Have a great day everyone!

Thomas

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
enlightenment
[悟] (Jpn.: satori)

See also: attainment of Buddhahood

attainment of Buddhahood
[成仏] (Jpn.: jobutsu)

To become a Buddha. Several principles concerning the attainment of Buddhahood or enlightenment have been expounded on the basis of the sutras:

(1) Attaining Buddhahood in one's present form. This means to attain Buddha-hood just as one is, without discarding the body of a common mortal. Also referred to as attaining Buddhahood as a common mortal, this principle was formulated by the T'ien-t'ai school on the basis of the Lotus Sutra. According to many of the teachings other than the Lotus Sutra, one can attain Buddhahood only after having discarded the body of a common mortal that gives rise to earthly desires and illusions.

In contrast, the Lotus Sutra teaches that one can attain Buddhahood in one's present form, or as an ordinary person. This principle is often illustrated by the example of the dragon king's daughter who, according to the "Devadatta" (twelfth) chapter, attained Buddhahood in a single moment without changing her dragon form. The concept of attaining Buddhahood in one's present form contrasts with that of attaining Buddhahood through transformation of sex and character. The latter means, for example, that a woman must be reborn as a man in order to attain enlightenment.

(2) Attaining Buddhahood in this lifetime or in a single lifetime. This concept contradicts the idea that one must practice over a period of many kalpas in order to attain Buddhahood. This concept is essentially the same as attaining Buddhahood in one's present form.

Other principles concern the attainment of Buddhahood by certain categories of people and derive from the Lotus Sutra per se:

(1) Attainment of Buddhahood by persons of the two vehicles. In the first half of the Lotus Sutra, persons of the two vehicles-voice-hearers and cause-awakened ones-receive a prophecy from Shakyamuni Buddha that they will attain Buddhahood in future ages. This prophecy refutes the view of the provisional Mahayana teachings, which deny persons of the two vehicles the attainment of Buddhahood, for they seek only personal salvation and do not strive to save others. The Lotus Sutra says that they will practice the bodhisattva way and attain Buddhahood.

(2) Attainment of Buddhahood by women. In the first half of the sutra, the dragon king's daughter attains Buddhahood, and Yashodhara, Mahaprajapati, and other women receive Shakyamuni's prophecy of their future enlightenment. Almost all sutras deny women the capacity for attaining Buddhahood and insist that they must be reborn as men in order to attain enlightenment. The Lotus Sutra, however, teaches that both women and men are equally endowed with the potential for Buddhahood, based on the teaching of the true aspect of all phenomena.

(3) Attainment of Buddhahood by evil persons. Even those who oppose and slander the correct teaching of Buddhism, such as icchantikas, or persons of incorrigible disbelief, can attain Buddhahood through a reverse relationship. That is, because they establish a connection with the correct teaching by opposing it, though they receive the negative effect, eventually they profess faith in it and attain Buddhahood. In the Lotus Sutra, this idea is illustrated by the examples of Devadatta and those who ridiculed and attacked Bodhisattva Never Disparaging.

See also: Buddhahood

Buddhahood
[仏界] (Jpn.: bukkai)

The state of awakening that a Buddha has attained. The ultimate goal of Buddhist practice and the highest of the Ten Worlds. The word enlightenment is often used synonymously with Buddhahood. Buddhahood is regarded as a state of perfect freedom, in which one is awakened to the eternal and ultimate truth that is the reality of all things. This supreme state of life is characterized by boundless wisdom and infinite compassion. The Lotus Sutra reveals that Buddhahood is a potential in the lives of all beings.

enlightenment of plants
[草木成仏] (Jpn.: somoku-jobutsu)

Also, enlightenment of insentient beings. The enlightenment of grass, trees, rocks, the land itself, or anything else that has neither emotion nor consciousness. The doctrine that insentient beings can attain Buddhahood derives from T'ien-t'ai's doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. One of the component principles of this doctrine is the realm of the environment, or the insentient objective world. The doctrine teaches the mutually inclusive relationship of living beings and their environments, or that of sentient and insentient beings, thereby revealing that both manifest the same state of life. Therefore, when living beings manifest the state of Buddhahood, their environment simultaneously manifests the state of Buddhahood as well. In The Diamond Scalpel, Miao-lo (711-782) refuted the arguments of Ch'eng-kuan, the fourth patriarch of the Chinese Flower Garland (Hua-yen) school, who asserted that insentient beings do not possess the Buddha nature. Miao-lo wrote, "A plant, a tree, a pebble, a speck of dust-each has the Buddha nature, and each is endowed with cause and effect and with the function to manifest and the wisdom to realize its Buddha nature."

anuttara (Skt, Pali)
[阿耨多羅・無上] (Jpn.: anokutara or mujo)

Unsurpassed, unexcelled, supreme, highest, peerless, or incomparably excellent. Anuttara is a component of various Buddhist terms. Anuttara-samyak-sambodhi means the supreme and perfect enlightenment of a Buddha. Anuttara-dharma-chakra means the wheel of the unsurpassed Law. Anuttara is also one of the ten honorable titles of a Buddha and in this context is rendered as "unexcelled worthy." This title signifies that a Buddha stands supreme among all living beings.

unsurpassed enlightenment
[無上菩提] (Jpn.: mujo-bodai; Skt.: anuttara-sambodhi)

Also, supreme enlightenment or supreme perfect enlightenment. The enlightenment of a Buddha. The Sanskrit anuttara means "unsurpassed." A Buddha's enlightenment is so called because it is the highest and supreme among all levels of awakening gained through Buddhist practice. Bodhisattvas make four vows when they first resolve to embark upon the Buddhist practice. These four vows are known as the four universal vows, one of which is to attain unsurpassed enlightenment.

anuttara-samyak-sambodhi (Skt)
[阿耨多羅三藐三菩提・無上正等正覚] (Jpn.: anokutara-sammyaku-sambodai or mujo-shoto-shogaku)

Supreme perfect enlightenment, the unsurpassed enlightenment of a Buddha. Anuttara means supreme, highest, incomparable, unsurpassed, or peerless. Samyak means right, correct, true, accurate, complete, or perfect, and sambodhi means enlightenment. The expression samyak-sam-bodhi by itself is also used to mean perfect enlightenment. Bodhi and sambodhi also mean wisdom or perfect wisdom. In this sense, anuttara-samyak-sambodhi means supreme perfect wisdom.

From source: The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Without a doubt, many of you are experiencing indescribable hardships. But whatever obstacles may come your way, please have absolute confidence in the Daishonin’s words, ‘When great evil occurs, great good follows.’ Let’s take this as an opportunity to make spirited and dynamic strides forward in our movement for kosen-rufu!"

SGI Newsletter No. 6814, The New Human Revolution—Volume 18: Chapter 4, Dynamic Strides 1, translated April 24th, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, the heart of the essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra, contain the benefit amassed through the countless practices and meritorious deeds of all Buddhas throughout the three existences. Then, how can these five characters not include the benefits obtained by observing all of the Buddhas' precepts?

[ The Teaching, Practice, and Proof, WND Page 481 ]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"To carry out faith in accord with the Buddha’s teachings is neither a matter of observing formalities nor possessing an intellectual understanding of Buddhism. It is to make a profound vow to refute the erroneous and reveal the true, to speak out boldly for what is right, and to chant daimoku. In other words, it means practicing Buddhism in the three categories of action—deeds, words, and thoughts.

"We must also deeply bear in mind that the Buddha’s teachings cannot be practiced half-heartedly. Forgetting our commitment to propagating Buddhism is equivalent to slandering the Law with our mind; failing to speak out and share Buddhism with others is equivalent to slandering Buddhism with our mouth; and neglecting to do gongyo is equivalent to slandering the Law with our body. Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, the Soka Gakkai’s founding president, said that failing to do good is equivalent to doing evil in terms of the consequences of one’s actions."

SGI Newsletter No. 6814, The New Human Revolution—Vol. 18: Chap. 4, Dynamic Strides 2, translated April 24th, 2006

scegy

don't take my words as disrespect to others, i never put myself above others. wasn't talking about intelligence, it's pure fear that drives this nonsence called capitalism. i also see light in almost every man i meet, but they don't see it in themselves, therefore they'r not growin it as they should?reed me?
would you feel offended if i learn the debate as i go? i will try to be as less provocative as i can, i just like to learn things my own way, nothing more or less.
not knowing the past, first, sometimes gives you the right perspective on the present...so i think
about thinkers....i ment those who try to achieve their own peace in their head

Last edited:
G

scegy said:
don't take my words as disrespect to others, i never put myself above others. wasn't talking about intelligence, it's pure fear that drives this nonsence called capitalism. i also see light in almost every man i meet, but they don't see it in themselves, therefore they'r not growin it as they should?reed me?
would you feel offended if i learn the debate as i go? i will try to be as less provocative as i can, i just like to learn things my own way, nothing more or less.
not knowing the past, first, sometimes gives you the right perspective on the present...so i think
about thinkers....i ment those who try to achieve their own peace in their head

Welcome back,

Please be advised my introduction to this thread occurred less than 50 pages ago, if you go back and read the last 20-50 pages of this thread, you will become much more familiar than you can ever hope to be with Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. I must have posted the definition of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo at least twice, and the constant encouragement from PTD and Babba have fueled us this far, still going strong.

Look at me, I am just another human living in the same time as you, until I began to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, I sincerely had no direction, I sense almost a sad confusion in your heart! Just as I once was lost, hoping to figure out the incredible or mystical aspect of life which I knew was always there. I could never put my finger on it and being raised in a monotheistic enviroment really made it all the more difficult to "outgrow" the inheirant confusion and trickery! I was duped into focusing on things I could never truely accept, but shedding that layer of skin and letting myself be reborn into a path of enlightenment has helped me to look past man's evils and enjoy the present! Its a daily struggle Sce, now that your seeking spirit brought you this far, continue to read and grow with us!

Nam Myoho Renge KYO!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But Brother, I meant no disrespect either. Surely you can "learn the debate as you go." You are free to do as you please! My only thought is that in these last 20 pages there are many references that would bring you additional clarity as to what Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is all about. It isn't fair to Gypsy's server space to re-post all of those topics. Try checking out this connection, to read as you please, the perspective and spirit that is attempting to be conveyed:

http://sgi-usa.org/buddhism/buddhismtoday/

The point that Nichiren Buddhism makes is that now is a specific time period, referred to in the Lotus Sutra as the 'Latter Day of the Law.' This coincides with a time-line of around two thousand years after the historical Buddha, Shakyamuni Gautama of India's death. The societal circumstance that frustrates you, was predicted along with a remedy. That remedy was for individuals to appear in society that would lead others to embrace the eternal law of causality that is embodied within the title of the Lotus Sutra of 'Myoho-renge-kyo.' By envoking this title by repeating it along with the character for ones sense of devotion, 'Nam', we derive the mantra that we speak of here: Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. You are astute in your observations, but in my opinion, your sense of futility is incorrect. I was merely trying to point you in a direction that might add something very positive to your daily life.

Please try chanting these words--Nam-myoho-renge-kyo--and see what happens.

You are welcome here always. No debates. However we do make pointed comments aimed at trying to provide those seeking answers the truth as we know it from living this Law with our lives. Does anyone else have something to say that would make my meaning more clearly understood to our friend scegy? Please jump in!

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Oneness of Good & Evil: Developing the Courage To Accept our Innate Good and Evil

The Oneness of Good & Evil: Developing the Courage To Accept our Innate Good and Evil

The evil of destruction is like a shadow cast by the good of creation. Nature gives and takes life. Even on the cellular level of the human body, the evil of decay and death exists side by side with the good of growth and health.

For example, while the precise mechanism of cancer remains unknown, research has demonstrated that the malignant transformation of a cell is linked to cancer-causing genes called oncogenes. In normal cells, oncogenes are called proto-oncogenes, which promote cellular growth and are regulated by cellular genes called tumor-suppressor genes. Tumor-suppressor-genes, in other words, control growth-promoting genes, which could potentially turn malignant. ("Cancer: Causation.""The Cause of Disease: Abnormal Growth of Cells." Encyclopedia Britannica, CD 1999). Thus, the potential for cancer not only exists in every cell of the body, but also supports cell's growth and health.

Concerning the nature of good and evil, Nichiren Daishonin states: "Good and evil have been inherent in life since time without beginning...The heart of the Lotus school is the doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life, which reveals that both good and evil are inherent even in those at the highest stage of perfect enlightenment. The fundamental nature of enlightenment manifests itself as Brahma and Shakra, whereas the fundamental darkness manifests itself as the devil king of the sixth heaven" (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p. 1113). The Daishonin explains that all people are endowed with supreme good and evil, as well as all the possible life states in between. We can be either as godly as "Brahma and Shakra" or as devilish as the "devil king."

Good and evil, in other words, are innate, inseparable aspects of life. This Buddhist concept is called the "oneness of good and evil." This teaching however, does not mean that evil is good, nor does it imply that the distinction between good and evil is irrelevant. Instead, it teaches us to perceive and triumph over evil inside - thereby conquering evil on the outside - through faith in the universal goodness of life.

In the context of the Daishonin's teaching, good means the "fundamental nature of enlightenment," or absolute freedom and happiness resulting from profound self-knowledge. Evil indicates the "fundamental darkness," or life's innate delusion negating the potential of enlightenment and causing suffering for oneself and others. This inner darkness echoes with the despair that our lives are ugly and meaningless; it drives a wedge of fear that splits the hearts of people into "us" and "them." The Daishonin's concept of good and evil, in this sense, may be better understood as the dynamic, innate workings of life that become manifest or dormant, rather than the external moral codes determined by cultural and social conditions.

A Buddha is someone who has the courage to acknowledge those two fundamental aspects of life. As the Daishonin states, "One who is thoroughly awakened to the nature of good and evil from their roots to their branches and leaves is called a Buddha" (WND, 1121). Buddhas accept their innate goodness without arrogance because they know all people share the same Buddha nature. Buddhas also recognize their innate evil without despair because they know they have the strength to overcome and control their negativity. Buddhas understand the hearts of people in myriad conditions and circumstances. Buddhas are capable of guiding others to their own awakening. This is because Buddhas share the same conditions as others, yet have the strength and wisdom to control their own evil.

Much of our difficulty in discerning the workings of good and evil is due to our unwillingness to acknowledge the potential of both supreme good and evil within our own lives. We don't want to see ourselves as either very good or very bad, hiding instead behind a collective moral mediocrity that requires neither the responsibility of goodness nor the guilt of evil. To flee from the responsibility to realize the full potential of our innate goodness, we say, "I can't be as good as..." (Fill in the blanks with the names of those whom you think supremely good and bad respectively, or "Buddha" in the former blank and "devil" in the latter.)

For some of us, our moral ambiguity of the self, however, seems to demand quick judgment of others - those who serve our interest as "good people" and those whom we dislike as "bad people" - as if to counterbalance our inner confusion with our forced clarity outside. Others seem unable to denounce the clearly manifest evil of humanity for fear of being judged in return. Such people fear the judgment of others because they themselves lack the courage to see their own potential for good and evil. As a result, our view of the world becomes narrow, if not distorted.

Paul Tillich, a noted philosopher and theologian of the last century, said, "The courage to affirm oneself must include the courage to affirm one's own demonic depth" (The Courage to Be, p.122).

In the same regard, Carl Jung said, "Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual's conscious life, the blacker and denser it is" (Psychology and Religion, p.93). Jung also made the following observation of a person who develops the courage to face the potential of evil within: "Such a man knows that whatever is wrong with the world is in himself, and if he only learns to deal with his own shadow the he has done something real for the world" (ibid pp. 101-02).

The Daishonin had the courage to see his own "demonic depth," as he candidly wrote: "Although I, Nichiren, am not a man of wisdom, the devil king of the sixth heaven has attempted to take possession of my body. But I have for some time been taking such great care that he now longer comes near me" (WND, 310). The Daishonin had the courage to see his own fundamental darkness. In spite of this sober reality, he summoned forth faith in his innate Buddhahood and thus overcame life's tendency to deny its own highest reality. As he said, "A sharp sword to cut through the fundamental darkness is to be bound in faith alone" (Gosho Zenshu, p. 751).

The faith that enables us to experience the freedom and happiness of Buddhahood is synonymous with the courage to see our potential for both good and evil. The process of accepting and challenging our fundamental darkness is necessarily the process of revealing our innate enlightenment. Likewise, our efforts to help others become aware of their own self-negating delusion must be accompanied by our efforts to help them become aware of their own self-affirming power of enlightenment. Without one, another is impossible.

To see our innate good and evil is to experience the joy of accepting our whole being. As Tillich said, "Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being" (The Courage to Be, p.14). Such honest and courageous acceptance of the self also marks the beginning of the essential transformation of our lives and the world around us.

By Shin Yatomi, based in part on Yasashii Kyogaku (Easy Buddhist Study) published by Seikyo Press in 1994.

scegy

i agree, knowing yourself means knowing others, thus their weaknes(yours). as your post stated. the more i know my weakneses the more i can laugh at them when they appear.
to simplify my "request" here, how to make others listen that there are other, better things in life then money, alcohol, drugs and partys? cos i talk much to ppl around me, and although they agree with me they act further like we've never talked...you know what i mean?

"Many hear about and accept this sutra, but when great obstacles arise, just as they were told would happen, few remember it and bear it firmly in mind. To accept is easy; to continue is difficult. But Buddhahood lies in continuing faith."

(The Difficulty of Sustaining Faith - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 471) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda’s speech, Seikyo Shimbun, April 17th, 2006

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buddhism does not exist anywhere in some far distant place away from the realities of life.
It exists right within our own hearts.
It manifests itself in the actions that we take in daily life.
And it arises as our wisdom and sincerity.

Daisaku Ikeda

* The truth (true entity) of things is not found in some far distant realm removed from reality. In this unwavering focus on the true form (true entity) of everyday reality, never moving away from real things and events (all phenomena), we can discern the true brilliance of the Buddha's wisdom. ... The Buddha is determined never to become alienated or divorced from the actual world (all phenomena). At the same time, the Buddha is not influenced by the superficial appearance of the actual world (all phenomena) but instead grasps the supreme truth (true entity) concealed therein and teaches it to others so that they may understand and apply it in their own lives. This is the wisdom of Buddhism. (The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, Volume 1, page 170)

** Buddhism becomes manifest in society. It could be said that Buddhism is the "true entity," and society (secular matters) "all phenomena." Similarly, faith is the "true entity" and daily life "all phenomena." The principle of faith manifesting itself in daily life is thus the principle of the true entity of all phenomena. There can be no Buddhism divorced from the real world. (Lectures on the "Expedient Means" and "Life Span" Chapters of the Lotus Sutra, Volume 1, page 153)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My response to scegy's last question:

My response to scegy's last question:

scegy said:
to simplify my "request" here, how to make others listen that there are other, better things in life then money, alcohol, drugs and partys? cos i talk much to ppl around me, and although they agree with me they act further like we've never talked...you know what i mean?

As always, this is just my opinion, but I think first, you need to be able to give them something more than just your opinion. You have to have some counter-balance or alternative option to the behavior you are being critical of. CYNACISM NEVER INSPIRES ANYONE, IN MY OPINION. Secondly, I think you need to be personally respect worthy and towards that end your solution must have some basis in reality, rather than being idealistic banter (I am not saying your position is, just that people will not become inspired by a proposed solution that lacks a credible end-game). Thirdly, you need to have the wisdom to correctly perceive the capacity of the people you are speaking with. Lastly, I think you have to reflect something in yourself that qualifies what you are suggesting as being something that another person would want to emulate: happiness, confidence, and compassion. It isn’t necessary to be rich, famous, beautiful or impressively intelligent. It is necessary that people be able to see that you are sincere and truly desire their happiness. Who you are as a human being will reflect whether you’re full of shit or have something to offer that goes beyond a philosophical conversation.

All of this is contained within the effect on an individual’s life that earnestly and faithfully practices Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism, chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts