What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That "Holy Mantra" is allegedly used in Buddhism and Taoism for Exorcism, spiritual protection and Healing... PasstheDoobie is right that you can chant about anything in the context of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. Are you trying to perform an exorcism on this thread, if so you may want to consult with the chief exorcist of the Vatican who may have more experience than a layman (LOL)?

The mantra you are pushing is purportly able to grant certain things after reciting those words a certain amount of time. In fact, the relatively low amount of recitations would cause that mantra to expire within a month or two of diligent chanting! Try chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! This is a significant lifelong all encompassing practice that will not lead you astray as Taoism and Hinayana Buddhism continues to confuse many people.

We welcome all religions, Buddhists, and none of the above! However, when a new mantra is introduced without validation or a common sense approach towards its propagation some people who practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism are mandated to refute any slanderous incantations for the sake of the thread and all its members. There are other threads on Buddhism that may appreciate your approach, but the truth is that your mantra is definitely off topic. When you finish the required amount of recitations remember that upon chanting: "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!" you reveal your inherent Buddhahood!

Good luck and thanks for reminding of the founder's hope for all! Much obliged!

Best regards,
MyohoDisco

**Chanting is very powerful and stronger than yoga, meditation and other types of prayer. Please beware of chanting slanderous mantras especially the exorcism mantra this Puxian Pusa has encountered. Caveat Emptor!

Well said! The thread starts out with the exortation, "Calling all Bodhisattvas of the Earth!" This is an inherent acknowledgement of the threads connection to the Lotus Sutra, and more specifically to the teachings of Nichiren which were based on the Lotus Sutra. The thread isn't about just chanting anything in general. It is specifically about chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

But thanks for stopping by! Continue to hang if you want! Just please read some content before you assume you know what to post. Your respect and consideration is most appreciated.

Many thanks to Bud and Easy!

Deepest respect,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The more gold is heated in the flames, the brighter will be its colour; the more a sword is whetted, the sharper it will become. (And the more one praises the blessings of the Lotus Sutra, the more one's own blessings will increase.)"

(The Blessings of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 673) Selection source: "Sunday Wide", Seikyo Shimbun, March 14th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nichiren Daishonin writes: 'If the spirit of many in body but one in mind prevails among the people, they will achieve all their goals, whereas if one in body but different in mind, they can achieve nothing remarkable' (WND-1, 618).

"Our movement cannot succeed if we are not united in purpose. 'Many in body but one in mind' means solidly uniting our hearts in faith, in our commitment to the practice of the Daishonin's Buddhism. The essence of 'many in body, one in mind' is found in taking action, while never forgetting the beautiful, altruistic spirit of faith, the spirit of warm camaraderie and respect among fellow members, and the spirit to triumph in all struggles."

SGI Newsletter No. 7954, TRAINING SESSION WITH SGI REPRESENTATIVES, Be Outstanding Leaders of Kosen-rufu!, from the March 9th, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated March 12th, 2010

P

puxian pusa

chant only nichiren grower group. yes. i am understand. i not japan i not nichiren.
translation make difficult me not seldom. not chant and not read sutra. not intent. sutra show teach mantra. each translation sutra each unique. nichiren yes.

南無妙法蓮華經

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 279) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 10th, 2010

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Im getting Daimoku in today ...hope some of you others are chanting along with me.
Got Daimoku ??

Nam myoho renge kyo

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 279) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 10th, 2010

I really like this one PTD! Congrats on the community center! Way to go!

Much love to you all.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!!!!!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Youthfulness

Buddhism squarely faces the reality of the "four sufferings" of birth, aging, sickness and death, but as SGI President Daisaku Ikeda comments, "It is important to remember that aging and growing old are not necessarily the same thing . . . There are certainly many people who, as they age, become increasingly vigorous and energetic, more broad-minded and tolerant, living with a greater sense of freedom and assurance."

Such people remain youthful by developing and holding onto hope, enthusiasm, optimism and forward motion, and they seem to have suffered no erosion of the spirit with the passing of time. Sadly, there are also younger people who have already lost hope and seem prematurely old.

Perhaps, Ikeda suggests, in order to acquire true youthfulness, we must repeatedly make fresh determinations right up until the last moment of our lives. He draws on the message of the Lotus Sutra to show that it is in our commitment to the happiness and well-being of others that we experience this kind of "extension" or expansion of our lives.

The Lotus Sutra is unique among Buddhist scriptures in that it promises that those who hear it can find perpetual youth and eternal life. Happiness is not found in a heaven-like afterworld, but amidst the trials and challenges of real life. By developing and deepening our compassion for others, it is possible to attain an inner state of life which touches the eternal and seems to transcend death.

Shakyamuni describes the quality of his own enlightenment as an eternal and enduring life-state characterized by constant vitality and rejuvenation. He then stresses that it is his unchanging wish to enable all people to experience this elevated condition of life. The question, then, is just how we can attain that same eternally fresh and youthful state of life.

The Lotus Sutra provides the model of Bodhisattva Never Disparaging who, through his deeply respectful attitude toward everyone he met, sought to awaken others to the inherent Buddhahood within their lives, even as he was mocked and vilified for this. The result of his actions and his attitude was the attainment of the enlightened life condition of a Buddha. Similarly, the way to elevate our own state of life is through a personal commitment to taking action for the happiness of both ourselves and others.

Nichiren, the 13th-century Japanese founder of the Lotus Sutra-based school of Buddhism practiced by the members of the SGI, believed that a fundamental desire to contribute to the happiness of self and others is something already shared at the deepest level by all people, but that often our own preoccupations and problems prevent us from perceiving it.

When we wholeheartedly commit ourselves to "remembering" or retrieving that wish or vow from our subconscious mind and living an engaged and contributive life, we can tap previously unknown resources of wisdom, courage and compassion--in other words, the Buddha state. This does not literally mean that our physical lives will necessarily become longer, but when we awaken to and attune our lives to this deeper compassionate purpose, the whole quality and experience of living will be enhanced so that a single moment can become a profound and joyful experience in which we discover limitless energy and vitality.

Through such an awakening, people who have been overwhelmed by their own suffering can begin to live a purposeful life in which their own compassion, creativity and will determine their direction. This, rather than any counting of years or days, is what Buddhism means by a state in which we can enjoy perpetual youthfulness.

[Courtesy October 2009 SGI Quarterly]

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Great read T. Many times I feel like im still 20 inside.... sometimes when I look in the mirror I find it hard to beleive that 60 is right around the corner. Still lots of time to chant ... hope everyone is joining in !!!! Lets move forward and live life with a vibrant positive outlook !!!
Polish that mirror and everything looks younger !!!
Nam myoho renge kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

I was at a big sgi meeting last night and brought a guest! WOOOT WOOOT! I'm still doing shakubuku here because I can't stop and I won't stop!

Too much Sensei schpiel in my neck of the woods, but I'll support the SGI through thick and thin! I just wish we could focus more on the translations of The Goshos and the japanese nuances lost in translation...

Erin go brah!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Scottish poet Robert Burns (1759-96) wrote:

"Tho' losses, and crosses,
Be lessons right severe,
There's wit there, ye'll get there,
Ye'll find nae other where.

"It is important to actively seek out challenges and hard work in your youth. That is how you learn to value and support others as well as develop pride and confidence in yourself."

SGI Newsletter No. 7956, THE LIGHT OF THE CENTURY OF HUMANITY, The Lofty Transmission of Faith, from the Nov. 6th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated March 15th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Regard your service to your lord as the practice of the Lotus Sutra."

(Reply to a Believer - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 905) Selection source: "Myoji no gen", Seikyo Shimbun, March 16th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Youth, it's your turn to take the helm! It is vital that everyone of us has the stand-alone spirit of a lion! Overflowing with a powerful new resolve, let's embark afresh upon the journey of kosen-rufu, a great expedition of courage and hope!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"With the Buddhist Law
that enables us to infinitely
change poison into medicine,
let us triumph without fail;
the heavenly deities will also protect us.

"The American futurist and social activist Dr. Hazel Henderson remarked with a smile: 'When someone tells me, [It can't be done,] I just become all the more determined to accomplish it.' To take action based on a lofty sense of purpose or mission can often be fraught with difficulty. But the more challenging the undertaking, the more we need to rouse our courage and make an all-out effort.

"...Do we allow ourselves to be overwhelmed by difficulties, or do we fight back and triumph over them? This is the earnest struggle that we must wage both as individuals and as a society."

SGI Newsletter No. 7957, The Joyous Drama of 'Changing Poison into Medicine,' from the April 2010 issue of Daibyakurenge, translated March 16th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Muster your faith, and pray to this Gohonzon. Then what is there that cannot be achieved?"

(Reply to Kyo'o - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 412) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 17th, 2010

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be a person who is always appreciative of what goes on around you! Never forget the kindness of those who support you! The spirit to always repay one's debt of gratitude gives us immeasurable strength!

Daisaku Ikeda

Last edited:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Thanks for the insights from Robbie Burns...how appropriate indeed.

I also enjoyed reading about youthfulness and aging...good stuff! What a wonderful promise:
'that those who hear it can find perpetual youth and eternal life.'

Status
Not open for further replies.