What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The lion king is said to advance three steps, then gather himself to spring, unleashing the same power whether he traps a tiny ant or attacks a fierce animal."

(Reply to Kyo’o - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 412) Selection source: Q & A on Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, February 21st, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Zeami Motokiyo (1363-1443), who perfected the traditional Japanese art of Noh drama, wrote: 'If even a skillful actor is conceited, his abilities will probably decline.' And warning his students against having a false sense of superiority, he also quoted a famous passage from the Lotus Sutra that describes the tendency of people of overbearing arrogance: 'What they had not attained they supposed they had attained, what they had not understood they supposed they had understood' (LSOC2, 63 [LS2, 30]). In every area of human activity, arrogance is an impediment to growth. We must be constantly vigilant against succumbing to this tendency. History teaches us that arrogance is the beginning of decline for both individuals and organisations."

SGI Newsletter No. 7936, Future Victory Is Determined Now, from the March 2010 issue of Daibyakurenge, translated Feb, 18th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran

"No prayers will go unanswered."*

A truly happy and victorious life is attained through chanting daimoku with strong profound prayer!

Daisaku Ikeda

* As Nichikan, the twenty-sixth high priest, says: "[If you have faith in this Gohonzon and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo even for a short while] no prayer will go unanswered, no offence unexpiated, no good fortune unbestowed, and all righteousness proven."

Nichiren Daishonin says that it is not difficult for those who chant the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra to become Buddhas equal to Shakyamuni (WND, 1030). This statement is very significant. He says this because the Mystic Law is the origin of all Buddhas.

We must absolutely never give up on prayer. He declares: "Muster your faith, and pray to this Gohonzon. Then what is there that cannot be achieved?" (WND, 412). We need to pray "as though to produce fire from damp wood or to obtain water from parched ground" (WND, 444).
- (The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, Volume 5, page 152)

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This passage refers to the great joy that one experiences when one understand for the first time that one's mind from the very beginning has been the Buddha. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the greatest of all joys."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho zenshu, page 788, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 211) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, Feb. 22nd, 2010

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"Even though one may encounter a wise teacher and the true sutra and thereby embrace the correct teaching, when one resolves to break free from the sufferings of birth and death and attain Buddhahood, one will inevitably encounter seven grave matters known as the three obstacles and four devils, just as surely as a shadow follows the body and clouds accompany rain. Even if you should manage to overcome the first six, if you are defeated by the seventh, you will not be able to become a Buddha."

Letter to Misawa
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 894)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The profound understanding referred to in number three is to perceive and revere the Entity of the Law--it is to understand the entity whom is the Buddha of Beginningless Time*. This will allow you to perceive the truth expressed in the endeavor of number one, and the wisdom to absorb the Buddha Wisdom expressed in the dialogue that takes place in number two.

(my take anyway) T

*Opening of the Eyes, The
[開目抄] (Jpn Kaimoku-sho )

One of Nichiren's five or ten major writings. It consists of two volumes and was completed at Tsukahara on Sado, an island in the Sea of Japan, in the second month of 1272. According to Nichikan (1665-1726), the twenty-sixth chief priest of Taiseki-ji temple, in this work Nichiren reveals his identity as the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law who possesses the three virtues of sovereign, teacher, and parent. Thus he says it reveals the object of devotion in terms of the Person, while The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind, written in 1273, reveals the object of devotion in terms of the Law. The Opening of the Eyes begins with the words: "There are three categories of people that all human beings should respect. They are the sovereign, the teacher, and the parent" (WND/220). In the concluding part, Nichiren says, "I, Nichiren, am sovereign, teacher, and father and mother to all the people of Japan" (WND/287). Because in this statement Nichiren identifies himself with the three virtues the Buddhas possess, it is viewed as his declaration that he is the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law. He also states: "On the twelfth day of the ninth month of last year [1271], between the hours of the rat and the ox [11:00 A.M. to 3:00 A.M.], this person named Nichiren was beheaded. It is his soul that has come to this island of Sado and, in the second month of the following year, snowbound, is writing this to send to his close disciples" (WND/269). "This person named Nichiren" means the ordinary person Nichiren. "It is his soul that has come to this island of Sado" is taken to mean that the individual who arrived alive at Sado was Nichiren in his true identity— the Buddha Nichiren.The title The Opening of the Eyes means to open the eyes of the people and awaken them to the three virtues of the Buddhism of the harvest and finally to those of the Buddhism of sowing, severing their blind attachment to the provisional teachings. In doing so, Nichiren discusses the relative superiority of the lifetime teachings of Shakyamuni (with the doctrine known as the fivefold comparison), determines the superiority of the Lotus Sutra over all other sutras, and reveals the Mystic Law, the teaching for attaining Buddhahood in the Latter Day of the Law. He says: "The doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life [i.e., the Mystic Law] is found in only one place, hidden in the depths of the 'Life Span' chapter of the essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra. Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu were aware of it but did not bring it forth into the light. T'ient'ai Chihche alone embraced it and kept it ever in mind" (WND/224). Based on this passage, Nichikan later established the doctrine of the threefold secret teaching. In his work known as The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra, Nichiren writes: "I began to put into shape a work in two volumes called The Opening of the Eyes, which I had been working on since the eleventh month of the previous year. I wanted to record the wonder of Nichiren, in case I should be beheaded" (WND/772). The Opening of the Eyes, which was intended for posterity, was given to Shijo Kingo, a lay disciple who had accompanied Nichiren to the execution site at Tatsunokuchi and resolved to die there by his side. See also five-fold comparison; threefold secret teaching.

fivefold comparison
[五重の相対] (Jpn goju-no-sotai )

Five successive levels of comparison set forth by Nichiren (1222-1282) in The Opening of the Eyes to demonstrate the superiority of his teaching of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo over all other teachings.

(1) Buddhism is superior to non-Buddhist teachings. Nichiren takes up Confucianism and Brahmanism, and concludes that these non-Buddhist religions are not as profound as Buddhism in that they do not reveal the causal law of life that penetrates the three existences of past, present, and future.

(2) Mahayana Buddhism is superior to Hinayana Buddhism. Hinayana Buddhism is the teaching for persons of the two vehicles, or voice-hearers (Skt shravaka ) and cause-awakened ones (pratyekabuddha), who aim at personal emancipation; its ultimate goal is to put an end to the cycle of rebirth in the threefold world by eliminating all earthly desires. It is called Hinayana (Lesser Vehicle) because it saves only a limited number of people. In contrast, Mahayana Buddhism is the teaching for bodhisattvas who aim at both personal enlightenment and the enlightenment of others; it is called Mahayana (Great Vehicle) because it can lead many people to enlightenment. In this sense, the Mahayana teachings are superior to the Hinayana teachings.

(3) True Mahayana is superior to provisional Mahayana. Here true Mahayana means the Lotus Sutra, while provisional Mahayana indicates the Mahayana teachings that, according to T'ient'ai's system of classification, were expounded before the Lotus Sutra. In the provisional Mahayana teachings, the people of the two vehicles, women, and evil persons are excluded from the possibility of attaining enlightenment; in addition, Buddhahood is attained only by advancing through progressive stages of bodhisattva practice over incalculable kalpas. In contrast, the Lotus Sutra reveals that all people have the Buddha nature inherently, and that they can attain Buddhahood immediately by realizing that nature. Furthermore, the provisional Mahayana teachings assert that Shakyamuni attained enlightenment for the first time in India and do not reveal his original attainment of Buddhahood in the remote past, nor do they reveal the principle of the mutual possession of the Ten Worlds, as does the Lotus Sutra. For these reasons, the true Mahayana teachings are superior to the provisional Mahayana teachings.

(4) The essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra is superior to the theoretical teaching of the Lotus Sutra. The theoretical teaching consists of the first fourteen chapters of the Lotus Sutra, and the essential teaching, the latter fourteen chapters. The theoretical teaching takes the form of preaching by Shakyamuni who is still viewed as having attained enlightenment during his lifetime in India. In contrast, the essential teaching takes the form of preaching by Shakyamuni who has discarded this transient status and revealed his true identity as the Buddha who attained Buddhahood in the remote past. This revelation implies that all the Ten Worlds of ordinary people are eternal just as the Buddha's are, and confirms that Buddhahood is an ever-present potential of human life. For these reasons, the essential teaching is superior to the theoretical teaching.

(5) The Buddhism of sowing is superior to the Buddhism of the harvest. Nichiren established this comparison based on the concept of sowing, maturing, and harvesting that T'ient'ai (538-597) set forth in The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra. In The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra, T'ient'ai cites the process by which the Buddha teaches, described in the "Parable of the Phantom City" (seventh) chapter of the Lotus Sutra, as well as the relationship of the Buddha and his disciples from the remote past explained in the "Life Span" (sixteenth) chapter of the sutra. All these ideas illustrate how the Buddha begins teaching his disciples by sowing the seeds of Buddhahood in their lives, helps those seeds mature, and finally harvests their fruit by leading them to the final stage of enlightenment or Buddhahood.The Lotus Sutra describes this process as ranging over countless kalpas. The sutra does not, however, explain the nature of these original seeds, though it is clear that the seed of Buddhahood is essential for attaining Buddhahood. Nichiren identifies the seed as Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and states that it can be found only in the depths of the "Life Span" chapter. By implanting this seed in one's life, one can attain Buddhahood. From this viewpoint, Nichiren identifies his teaching as the Buddhism of sowing (the teaching aimed at implanting the seed of Buddhahood) and Shakyamuni's as the Buddhism of the harvest (the teaching aimed at harvesting the fruit of enlightenment borne from the seed planted in the remote past). He explains that Shakyamuni appeared in India in order to harvest the fruit of Buddhahood borne from the seed he had sown and caused to mature in the lives of his disciples until that time. The people of the Latter Day of the Law who have no such seed implanted in their lives cannot harvest its fruit. Nichiren states, "Now, in the Latter Day of the Law, neither the Lotus Sutra nor the other sutras lead to enlightenment. Only Nam-myoho-renge-kyo can do so" (WND/903).

threefold secret teaching
[三重秘伝] (Jpn sanju-hiden )

A doctrine Nichikan (1665-1726), the twenty-sixth chief priest of Taiseki-ji temple, established based on the passage in Nichiren's treatise The Opening of the Eyes that reads: "The doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life is found in only one place, hidden in the depths of the 'Life Span' chapter of the essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra. Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu were aware of it but did not bring it forth into the light. T'ient'ai Chihche alone embraced it and kept it ever in mind" (WND/224). Nichikan interpreted this sentence to mean that the doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life is found (1) only in the Lotus Sutra, not in any other sutra; (2) only in the "Life Span" (sixteenth) chapter of the essential teaching (latter half), not in the theoretical teaching (first half) of the Lotus Sutra; and (3) only in the "depths," not on the "surface," of the "Life Span" chapter. The first point corresponds to the comparison of the true teaching (the Lotus Sutra) and the provisional teachings (all the other sutras). The second point corresponds to the comparison of the essential teaching and the theoretical teaching of the Lotus Sutra. The third point corresponds to the comparison of the "depths" and the "surface" of the "Life Span" chapter of the sutra, the former indicating the Buddhism of sowing, and the latter, the Buddhism of the harvest. These three levels of comparison reveal the ultimate teaching of Nichiren, or the Buddhism of sowing, as being Nam-myoho-renge-kyo of the Three Great Secret Laws. Nichikan used the term "threefold secret teaching" because the Buddhism of sowing, hidden threefold in the depths of the "Life Span" chapter, was unknown to the other Nichiren schools.

I hope everyone is doing as well as I am!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Treating one's friends with courtesy means that, although one may encounter them ten or twenty times in the course of a single day, one greets them courteously as though they had travelled a thousand or two thousand miles to see one, never showing them indifference."

(The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 636) Selection source: "Suntetsu", Seikyo Shimbun, Feb. 23rd, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Iron, when heated in the flames and pounded, becomes a fine sword.* To all of our youth, confront hardships head on! Challenging to overcome all difficulties and suffering, without giving up, no matter how hard things might be, will definitely strengthen us and make us shine like treasured swords.

Daisaku Ikeda

* "Letter from Sado" - WND-I, page 303

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Following the path of mentor and disciple will always enable us to overcome the tendency towards arrogance, and thereby keep growing and achieve victory in our endeavours.

"The 'Encouraging Devotion' (13th) chapter of the Lotus Sutra describes the three powerful enemies--arrogant lay people, arrogant priests, and arrogant false sages --that will assail practitioners of the correct teaching. A more literal translation of the Sanskrit title of this chapter is 'Ceaseless Effort.' Devilish functions are ceaselessly active, which is why the Bodhisattvas of the Earth need to engage in ceaseless efforts even more earnestly to combat them. We must, therefore, strengthen our faith day by day and month after month (cf. WND-1, 997), as the Daishonin urges. We must become ever stronger.

"My mentor Josei Toda declared: 'We were born to keep progressing and to win in our lives. Our Buddhist practice enables us to quickly change ourselves for the better.'

SGI Newsletter No. 7936, Future Victory Is Determined Now, from the March 2010 issue of Daibyakurenge, translated Feb, 18th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Teaching for the Latter Day / WND pg. 902

The Teaching for the Latter Day / WND pg. 902

I have received the one to of polished rice, the horse load of yams, and the five blocks of konnyaku (1) that you took the trouble to send me.

First of all, the young lady, the daughter of the lay priest Ishikawa no Hyoe, often sent me letters, and in one that reached me on the night of the fourteenth or fifteenth day of the third month, she wrote, “When I observe the world around me, it seems that even healthy people will be unable to survive this year. I have been ill for a long time, but my illness has suddenly worsened, and I imagine that this will be my last letter to you.” Has she then passed away after all?

Most people believe that those who chant Namu Amida Butsu at the moment of death are sure to be reborn in the Pure Land, for those are the golden words of the Buddha. For some reason, however, the Buddha regretted and reversed his statement, saying, “[In these more than forty years], I have not yet revealed the truth,” (2) and “Honestly discarding expedient means, [I will preach only the unsurpassed way].” (3) I have been teaching as the Buddha advocated, but all Japan has become enraged and denounced my words as groundless fabrications.

There have been other occasions when the Buddha unexpectedly reversed an earlier teaching. In the Hinayana sutras he taught that there is no Buddha other than himself in any of the ten directions, and that living beings do not possess the Buddha nature. But in the Mahayana sutras he taught that there are Buddhas throughout the ten directions, and that the Buddha nature exists in every living being. How can there be anyone who still uses the Hinayana sutras? Everyone has since come to believe in the Mahayana sutras.

Moreover, we find that there are even more unfathomable distinctions that Shakyamuni Buddha drew between the sutras. In the Lotus Sutra, he suddenly refuted all the other sutras that he had preached, now preached, and would preach in the future, and declared that only the Lotus was true. But his disciples would not believe him. At that time, Many Treasures Buddha came to bear witness to what Shakyamuni Buddha had said, and the Buddhas of the ten directions added their testimony to his, extending their tongues until they reached the Brahma heaven.

After Many Treasures Buddha had closed the door of the treasure tower and the other Buddhas had returned to their original lands, not even Shakyamuni Buddha himself could have denied the Lotus Sutra, whatever other sutras he might have expounded in an effort to do so, because the other Buddhas had all joined in affirming its truth. That is why in the Universal Worthy and Nirvana sutras, which follow the Lotus Sutra, the Lotus Sutra is praised but never disparaged.

Nonetheless, priests like Shan-wu-wei of the True Word school and the founders of the Zen school have repudiated the Lotus Sutra, and the entire Japanese nation has now taken faith in their teachings, just like those who were deceived by the rebels Masakado and Sadato. Japan is now on the brink of ruin because it has for many years been the archenemy of Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, and the Buddhas of the ten directions, and in addition, the person who denounces these errors is persecuted. Because such offenses thus accumulate one atop another, our nation will soon incur the wrath of heaven.

Perhaps because of karma from past lives, or some other reason, this woman chanted Nam-myoho-renge-kyo at the moment of her death. This is as rare as the one-eyed turtle finding a suitable hollow in a floating sandalwood log, or a thread lowered from the heavens passing through the eye of a needle on earth. How wondrous!

The sutra passages clearly show that those who believe in the Nembutsu are destined to fall into the hell of incessant suffering, but since people are not aware of this, they all think that it is my own fabrication. That is what is meant by the saying that the heavens and one’s eyelashes are alike. People can see neither their own eyelashes, which are so close, nor the heavens in the distance. (4) If my teaching were false, surely this lay nun would not have had a correct and steadfast mind at the moment of death.

Among my disciples, those who think themselves well versed in Buddhism are the ones who make errors. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the heart of the Lotus Sutra. It is like the soul of a person. To revere another teaching as its equal is to be like a consort who is married to two emperors, or who secretly commits adultery with a minister or a humble subject. It can only be a cause for disaster.

This teaching was not propagated in the Former or Middle Day of the Law because the other sutras had not yet lost their power of benefit. Now, in the Latter Day of the Law, neither the Lotus Sutra nor the other sutras lead to enlightenment. Only Nam-myoho-renge-kyo can do so. This is not my own judgment. Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, the Buddhas of the ten directions, and the bodhisattvas who emerged from the earth as numerous as the dust particles of a thousand worlds have so determined it. To mix other practices with this Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is a grave error. A lantern is useless when the sun rises. How can dewdrops be beneficial when the rain falls? Should one feed a newborn baby anything other than its mother’s milk? No addition of other medicines is needed with a good medicine. Somehow this woman remained true to this principle, and continued to uphold her faith until the last moment of her life. How admirable, how worthy!

With my deep respect,

Nichiren

The first day of the fourth month in the first year of Koan (1278)

Reply to Ueno

Background

This letter was written at Minobu to Nanjo Tokimitsu, the steward of Ueno in Suruga Province and a loyal follower of the Daishonin. Nichiren Daishonin thanks Tokimitsu for the food items he has received and expresses his distress at the news of the death of the lay priest Ishikawa no Hyoe’s daughter. Ishikawa was the steward of Omosu in Fuji District in Suruga Province. His wife was an elder sister of Nanjo Tokimitsu, and he probably took faith in the Daishonin’s teachings as a result of this relationship. Thus the daughter who had passed away was Tokimitsu’s niece.

In this letter, Nichiren Daishonin declares that the teaching that enables people to attain Buddhahood in the Latter Day of the Law is not the Lotus Sutra itself but rather Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which is implicit in the sutra’s “Life Span” chapter.

Notes

1. A jellylike food made from the root of the konnyaku plant. It is believed to eliminate poisonous substances from the body.
2. Immeasurable Meanings Sutra.
3. Lotus Sutra, chap. 2.
4. This statement is based on a passage in Great Concentration and Insight that describes the ignorance of ordinary people.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"What is the purpose of life? What is the purpose of our Buddhist practice?

"Some live filled with joy. Some live steeped in suffering. Some live overwhelmed by sadness and sorrow. Some live trapped in unhappiness. Some live with exuberance, vigorously triumphing over all. There are so many ways people live their lives.

"Sometimes society or one's family situation, such as poverty, may be partly to blame for the circumstances one faces.

"The joy and ease of victory. The pain and hellish torments of defeat. Certainly, there are all kinds of lives and all kinds of circumstances. But what is the dividing line between success and failure in life, between joy and suffering? This is extremely complex and difficult to answer. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, however, directs us on a course to absolute victory. The Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin enables us to develop a serene life-state of inner abundance pervaded by the noble virtues of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity. Those who embrace faith in Nam-myoho-renge-kyo possess far, far greater wealth than those who have the most staggering fortunes or the most luxurious mansions. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the life and fundamental Law of the universe. When we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, we have nothing to worry about. The Daishonin's words are never false. The purpose of our faith and practice is to achieve happiness and victory in our lives. This is the reality of the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin, the one and eternal Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law.

"With this great Buddhism, we can make our way through life with imperturbable confidence, ever triumphant. We can advance along the road to happiness without the slightest fear, our hearts filled with optimism and hope, together with our family, friends, and loved ones.

"We are here to enjoy our lives. We mustn't lead unhappy lives pervaded by sadness, suffering, or defeat. Indeed, if we base our lives on the Mystic Law, that will never be the case anyway. This is the teaching of Nichiren Daishonin, the foremost sage in all the universe. How wonderfully reassuring this is!

"Let's live out our lives joyously, triumphantly, and cheerfully. Let's make them lives of great fulfilment and meaning! That's the purpose of our Buddhist practice."

SGI Newsletter No. 7939, 37th SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS' MEETING--PART 1 [OF 2], Walking the Path of Absolute Happiness, from the February 15, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Feb. 23rd, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In the light of the above points, this shows, my followers, that you had better cut short your sleep by night and curtail your leisure by day, and ponder this! You must not spend your lives in vain and regret it for ten thousand years to come."

(The Problem to Be Pondered Night and Day - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 622) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, February 24th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Anyone who seeks to attain Buddhahood in this lifetime and carries out faith aimed at achieving human revolution will be able to establish a firmly grounded self. We can develop a state of life that allows us to actualise happiness for ourselves and others. We can forge ahead undaunted by any adversity and enhance our capacity for creating value out of every situation. Faith in the Daishonin's Buddhism enables us to cultivate an inner state of absolute freedom, undefeated by any karmic challenge. It is the means by which we can polish our lives."

SGI Newsletter No. 7851, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY, [7] "The Supremacy of the Law"--Part 1 [of 3], The Lotus Sutra Is the "Great Ship" for the Enlightenment of All People, from the July 2009 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated Sep. 9th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

WOOOT WOOOT!

WOOOT WOOOT!

Hey Friends:

I just wanted to ask for some extra prayers/chants directed towards Mrs.Babba's family. Mrs.Babba and The Babbabud are Chanting Growers and we all love them very much. Let's support them with Daimoku all the way because they know that PTD's family and our lil family out here got their back 100%!

Today I started my day with Gongyo which has been a rare thing for me to do and I won! I won in every aspect of this day and look forward to chanting strong tonight. How did I win when my CEO and other SVPs are getting a 1 million dollar (plus more) severance package and mostly everyone in my corporate office will be eradicated? I won because there is no greater joy than chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! and by also doing Gongyo this morning I reaffirmed my life long vow for kosen-rufu. When I'm determined and doing kosen-rufu I'm at my best.

The best part of this thread is everytime I can document and measure another forward momentum upward pendulum swing moment like today! Days like today completely validate why anyone and everyone should give chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! a try! I never lose when I chant I just keep winning and that's no bullshit! Buddhism is about not giving up, so to answer Tom's call: "TODAY I'm HAPPY TOO BROTHER! I'm VERY HAPPY INDEED AND I KICKED THE DEVIL King's ASS TODAY!"

:salute:

love,
MyohoDynomiteDisco

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thankyou so much Easy:) So glad to hear everyone is moving forward and chanting!!

Nam myoho renge kyo!!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

From a translation of "Daily Encouragement", by President Ikeda, published in the Seikyo Shimbun.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Daily Encouragment

The joy and ease of victory. The pain and hellish torments of defeat. Certainly, there are all kinds of lives and all kinds of circumstances. But what is the dividing line between success and failure in life, between joy and suffering? This is extremely complex and difficult to answer. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, however, directs us on a course to absolute victory.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Friends:

I just wanted to ask for some extra prayers/chants directed towards Mrs.Babba's family. Mrs.Babba and The Babbabud are Chanting Growers and we all love them very much. Let's support them with Daimoku all the way because they know that PTD's family and our lil family out here got their back 100%!

love,
MyohoDynomiteDisco

That said, I sat down and did three hours for Bud and Mrs B as well as all of the rest of you! Keep kicking DEVIL ASS my friends!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T:wave:

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"The Great Teacher Tz'u-en wrote a work in ten volumes entitled Praising the Profundity of the Lotus Sutra in which he praised the Lotus Sutra, but the Great Teacher Dengyo criticized it, saying, "Though he praises the Lotus Sutra, he destroys its heart." If we consider these examples carefully, we will realize that, among those who read the Lotus Sutra and sing its praises, there are many who are destined for the hell of incessant suffering."

On Repaying Debts of Gratitude
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 718)

Southern Girl

Hello Chanting Growers Group!
Glad to see you are 766 pages strong and still going. PTD, SoCal Hippy and Babbabud bowing in humble obeisance to you all. Hope this note finds you all well and in good spirits. Gordy P and I are Brilliant as he says continuing to live life with obstacles and benefits as it is to be. Home with a knee injury and dropped in to read alittle. Take care!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Always Southern Girl

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo...I would like to thank every chanting grower. So far with I have stand firm in my weight lose challenge.. So far I have lost 80 lbs since Oct..and feeling stronger everyday..I could not have done this without all of your support....Nam myoho renge kyo...Nam myoho renge kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.