What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and urge others to do the same; that will remain as the only memory of your present life in this human world."

(Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 64) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 11th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
People tend to compare themselves to others. Of course, it is important to try to learn from others' good traits. But it's petty to envy what appears to be their happiness and good fortune. Nothing comes of that. Those who focus on polishing themselves and living with a sense of purpose are the victors in life. Please engrave this point deeply in your heart.

(SGI Newsletter No. 7830, SGI President Ikeda's Speech, Young Women's Division Commemorative Gathering, Part 2 of 5. Translated August 4th, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
...I'm laughing now! This shit never ends and I will summarily kick some stinking fucking devil ass once again!

I am proud to prove the validity of my faith one more time and will do that without fail!

For the record: Stinking fucking devil ass kicked once again (Actually more than a week ago, but I forgot to share that with you all! It is a wonderful thing to have a life partner that chants as much as you do! Faith! Victory of gold!)

Bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In 'The Three Kinds of Treasure,' the Daishonin praises his disciple's faith, explaining that Kingo was able to take the first step towards victory based on the principle of 'manifesting the Buddha nature from within and bringing forth protection from without' (cf. WND-1, 848). The moment Kingo stood up with unwavering faith, his inner Buddha nature manifested, this activated the heavenly deities--the benevolent functions of the universe--and resulted in external protection in the form of Lord Ema's renewed reliance on Kingo.

"But Kingo still found himself in a rather hostile environment. In this writing, the Daishonin offers a variety of detailed instructions and advice to help Kingo solidify the victories he has achieved thus far. He urges his disciple to remain vigilant against attack, to interact with others in a courteous and sincere manner, and to foster good relations with his brothers and fellow practitioners and make them his allies. The Daishonin also warns Kingo to keep a tight rein on his short temper, sternly pointing out that if he succumbs to an outburst, it could cause a serious rift in his relations with those around him and destroy all the positive progress he has made.

"To achieve unshakable victory, we need to challenge ourselves in earnest to change our karma. This is also the practice of human revolution, in which we strive to break through our inner darkness or ignorance. Carelessness is the greatest enemy. If we allow ourselves to grow complacent and lose our fighting spirit, then the shortcomings or negative tendencies that arise from our fundamental darkness will resurface. For that reason, the Daishonin consistently stresses the point that faith is life's ultimate treasure."

SGI Newsletter No. 7929, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY, [12] 'The Three Kinds of Treasure'--Part 3 [of 3] The Ultimate Key to Victory in Life Is Accumulating the Treasures of the Heart, from the December 2009 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated Feb. 5th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Moreover, in spite of the fact that even such men of past ages as these puzzled over the doctrine of attaining Buddhahood in one's present form, your having inquired about this doctrine again and again in this way in your situation as a woman is surely no ordinary thing. Has Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, taken possession of you?"

(The Attainment of Buddhahood in Principle and in Its Actual Aspect - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 892) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's speech, Seikyo Shimbun, February 7th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"We can manifest the brilliance of the world of Buddhahood anywhere. This is the teaching of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. Our first two presidents, Tsunesaburo Makiguchi and Josei Toda, united by the bonds of mentor and disciple, demonstrated this with their own lives. In a prison cell that he described as 'cold to the extreme,' Mr. Makiguchi wrote: 'Depending on one's frame of mind, even hell can be enjoyable.' And Mr. Toda, who accompanied him to prison, remarked: 'Even if I should fall into hell, it wouldn't matter to me in the least. I would simply share the correct teaching with the inhabitants there and turn it into the Land of Tranquil Light.' This spirit is the very quintessence of faith in the Daishonin's Buddhism."

SGI Newsletter No. 7929, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY, [12] 'The Three Kinds of Treasure'--Part 3 [of 3] The Ultimate Key to Victory in Life Is Accumulating the Treasures of the Heart, from the December 2009 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated Feb. 5th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"(Above all, I remember how, in the eighth year of the Bun'ei era (1271), when I incurred the wrath of the authorities and was about to be beheaded at Tatsunokuchi in the province of Sagami, you held on to the reins of my horse, accompanying me barefoot and shedding tears of grief. You were even prepared to give your life had I in fact been executed.) In what lifetime could I possibly forget it?"

(The Place of the Cluster of Blessings - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 1069) Selection source: Study "Mentor-disciple bonds: Shijo Kingo", February 9th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'Treasures of the heart' are not restricted to this existence. They adorn our hearts forever, throughout the three existences, and they are also the key source that enables us to acquire 'treasures in the storehouse' and 'treasures of the body.'Genuine happiness is not determined by 'treasures in the storehouse' or 'treasures of the body.' It's determined by the inner strength and richness of our hearts. If our hearts are burning with hope and courage at all times and filled with the spirit of challenge, we'll be brimming with joy and vigour no matter what our situation. This is true happiness."

SGI Newsletter No. 7846, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 22: Chap. 4, The Treasure of Life 18, translated Aug. 27th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

My friend Alex did not receive his Gohonzon and the kid I met who had a Gohonzon and I was trying to help was a real piece of shit to me, so I gotta chant more and do more shakubuku so that I could make sure I help other people out! I'm back to that place in my life where I have no meds, but I still have my Gohonzon, my education track, my job and the snow! This sure has been one snowy winter, hasn't it?

I'm still here all the time and I'm glad Tom is able to keep posting for us and keeping the thread alive. The last 9 months have been the least amount of chanting I've done since I got my Gohonzon Four Years ago (this end of March). I'm looking to purchase a house and know that it all depends on how much chanting I apply to that Goal.

I wish some of you chanting growers lived close to me, we all need support sometimes! That reminds me, I hope desiderata and all the others who came close to getting a Gohonzon are safe.

Take care,
MyohoDisco

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Hello Easy, you know yourself how beneficial faith is, so keep chanting....and I will be chanting for better times for you too.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Hope everyone is fine and sending you all my love and respect!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!!

DG

E

EasyMyohoDisco

You're so right DG! I'll get a house soon and make a great report. Chanting Growers always win and never quit.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
High Red Bull! Glad you found this place...we love it also for the exchange of ideas and the support we freely give each other when needed!

I don't know of any other social networking groups with this variety of topics, and yet a theme - cannabis. Even this thread devoted to Nichiren Buddhism and the chanting of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo has it's basis in the fact that we all consider ourselves growers - in one way or another.

So I heartily welcome you to ICMag and the Chanting Grower's Group - and hope you keep chanting along with us!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well said DG!!!

Well said Chris!!!!

Welcome Red Bull!

Easy, my Brother, you have taken on a gigantic load of focus for the advancement of your life. The price you pay now will be insignificant in the long run, so long as you can hang tough, be disciplined enough to make Daimoku a priority, and preservere in the face of the Devil of the Sixth Heaven constantly trying to impede you. I know you can do that or you wouldn't have taken on the challenge. I trust you.

Don't be afraid! Don't be defeated! Faith! Victory of Gold!!!

All my love to Bud and Mrs B! Trichy sweet sister, I hope all is well and you are in my thoughts every day! SD made it to where he was going and is starting his new life! Congratulations Brother!

Let's all chant for each other remembering our Brothers and Sisters everywhere!

Hey Stevius!

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The accepting and upholding of this original Law is expressed in the single word "belief" or "faith". The singe word "belief" is the same sharp sword with which one confronts and overcomes fundamental darkness or ignorance. The commentary [Words and Phrases] says, "Belief means to be without doubt." You should think about this."

(The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 120) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", February 10th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'Do not go around lamenting to others how hard it is for you to live in this world. To do so is an act utterly unbecoming to a worthy man.' (WND-1, 850)

"Here, the Daishonin especially castigates lamentation and self-pity. This passage gets at the heart of people's readiness to bewail matters that are beyond their control. Everyone is susceptible to doing this. Even Kingo, who was prepared to lay down his life alongside the Daishonin at a crucial moment, tended to have trouble with human relations because of his rigidity and single-mindedness, and may have given in to complaining in spite of himself. In advising Kingo not to go around lamenting to others, the Daishonin underscores
that moaning about one's troubles or misfortunes is not the way of life of the wise, but the foolish.

"The Daishonin writes:

"'If a man behaves in this [unfortunate] way, then after he dies, his wife, overcome with sorrow at losing her husband, will tell other people about the shameful things he did, though she has no real intention of doing so. And that will in no way be her fault, but solely the result of his own reprehensible behaviour.' (WND-1, 850)

"Complaining nurtures one's inner weakness and negativity, and becomes a cause for stagnation. Here, the Daishonin is teaching Shijo Kingo that doing away with complaint and instead challenging his own human revolution head-on is the sure path to victory in life."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"But my life from the beginning has been based upon firm conviction. I have no intention now of reversing my course, nor will I ever reproach [those who persecuted me]. Evil persons too will be good friends to me."

(Why No Protection from the Heavenly Gods? - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 432) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 10th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is rare to be born a human being. The number of those endowed with human life is as small as the amount of earth one can place on a fingernail. Life as a human being is hard to sustain--as hard as it is for the dew to remain on the grass. But it is better to live a single day with honor than to live to 120 and die in disgrace."

(The Three Kinds of Treasure - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 851) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 21st, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is rare to be born a human being: the number of those born with human life is 'as small as the amount of earth one can place on a fingernail.' In addition, human life is as hard to sustain 'as it is for the dew to remain on the grass.' The Daishonin thus indicates how irreplaceable our lives as human beings are, and how precious every single day and moment is.

"'It is better to live a single day with honour than to live to 120 and die in disgrace' (WND-1, 851), the Daishonin declares, thereby highlighting the criterion for true merit in life. Our true merit as a human being arises from what we decide to make our life's purpose and how we go about achieving it.

"Accordingly, the Daishonin offers this specific guidance to his disciple out of a wish for him to succeed on a fundamental level: 'Live so that all the people of Kamakura will say in your praise that [Shijo Kingo] is diligent in the service of his lord, in the service of Buddhism, and in his concern for other people' (cf. WND-1, 851). It implies three particular areas in which Kingo needs to be victorious: (1) rebuilding a relationship of mutual trust with his lord, (2) continuing to make unwavering efforts as a practitioner of the Mystic Law, and (3) winning the trust of those around him. The treasures of the heart will
shine in all these three endeavours. In other words, we are truly victorious when we bring forth the brilliance of our Buddha nature in all aspects of our life."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The old fox never forgets the hillock where he was born; the white turtle repaid the kindness he had received from Mao Pao. If even lowly creatures know enough to do this, then how much more should human beings!"

(On Repaying Debts of Gratitude - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 690) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, February 11th, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts