What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Strengthen your faith day by day and month after month."

("On Persecutions Befalling the Sage", The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 997) Selection source: "SGI President Ikeda's Peace Proposal for 2010", Seikyo Shimbun,Jan. 26th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When one comes to realise and see that each thing--the cherry, the plum, the peach, the damson--in its own entity, without undergoing any change, possesses the eternally endowed three bodies, then this is what is meant by the word ryo, 'to include' or all inclusive."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 784, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 200) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, Jan 27th 2010.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Be resolved to summon forth the great power of faith, and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the prayer that your faith will be steadfast and correct at the moment of death."

(The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 218) Selection source: Gosho study for February, Seikyo Shimbun, February 2nd, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Promises are the seeds of growth. Deciding to fulfil a promise and striving to do so on a daily basis leads to personal development."

SGI Newsletter No. 7925, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 1, The Future 35, translated Feb. 1st, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Buddhism is reason."

(The Hero of the World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 839) Selection source: Study for New Members, Seikyo Shimbun, July 7th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Gosho states: "Buddhism primarily concerns itself with victory or defeat."* When we win, unlimited happiness is certain to well up from the depths of our beings and our lives are sure to overflow with good fortune! Let us leave no stone unturned to ensure a dramatic turn-around in whatever seems like a tough situation, and then let's savour the thrill and joy of having achieved a resounding victory.

Daisaku Ikeda

* "The Hero of the World" - WND-I, page 835

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"As practitioners of the Daishonin's Buddhism, we not only deal with our own problems and worries, but concern ourselves with the welfare of others and the development of kosen-rufu. All of these different problems and concerns motivate us to chant daimoku. We can also turn them into an impetus for taking the best course of action for our happiness. Faith gives us the strength to tap the life-force needed to do so. The Mystic Law is the ultimate key to realizing a life of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity."

SGI Newsletter No. 7811, YOUNG WOMEN’S DIVISION COMMEMORATIVE GATHERING--PART 1 [OF 5] Be Cheerful Suns of Happiness, from the June 7th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated July 3rd, 2009

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Here I will make a great vow. Though I might be offered the rulership of Japan
if I would only abandon the Lotus Sutra, accept the teachings of the Meditation
Sutra, and look forward to rebirth in the Pure Land, though I might be told that
my father and mother will have their heads cut off if I do not recite the
Nembutsu - whatever obstacles I might encounter, so long as persons of wisdom do
not prove my teachings to be false, I will never yield! All other troubles are
no more to me than dust before the wind.

(WND, 280)
The Opening of the Eyes
Written to Shijo Kingo in February 1272

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Sending much love to you all! My continued respect and appreciation to PTD and SoCal for including such awesome inspirational readings!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!!!!!!!!!
DG

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DG! Its so cool to have you back and posting again! Your appreciation means a lot to me. I am sure SoCal feels the same. Thank you very much!

A big shout-out to Trichy and Stevius! Thank you so much for being here! We are a global family thinking of all of our family members that are not here with us each day!

To chant for another persons happiness is the same as chanting for one's own. One can not change another person's karma, but one can influence ANYTHING with the power of one's life. Never doubt that things unseen are occurring. The power of faith is unlimited (as we have all shown here many times). To chant for another person's happiness is an act of compassion that will ultimately lead to Buddha wisdom.

Much love and deepest respect!

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Now, no matter what, strive in faith and be known as a votary of the Lotus Sutra, and remain my disciple for the rest of your life. If you are of the same mind as Nichiren, you must be a Bodhisattva of the Earth."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 385) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, Feb 3, 2010.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"To foster others also means to polish and perfect oneself."

SGI Newsletter No. 7927, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 1, The Future 37, translated Feb. 2nd, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"To attain Buddhahood in this lifetime--in other words, to establish a life-state of indestructible happiness and open the way towards peace and happiness for all--it is essential to live one's life true to the commitment of kosen-rufu. Great persecution and obstacles, however, lie in the path of those who seek to fulfil this vow. Therefore, the resolve to never abandon faith is crucial."

SGI Newsletter No. 7816, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 22: Chap. 3, High Seas 41, translated July 10th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"To foster others also means to polish and perfect oneself."

SGI Newsletter No. 7927, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 1, The Future 37, translated Feb. 2nd, 2010

YES THIS IS WHAT WE DO! AND TO PROTECT ANOTHER CHANTING GROWER OR ANOTHER BODHISATTVA IS A REQUIREMENT IN MY HUMBLE OPINION! Everyone we introduce should be protected and encouraged. Let's keep doing shakubuku!

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"...I think it is important for all Buddhists—even members of the SGI—to
understand that Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is not some kind of magic formula to be
recited to fulfill desires. It is a practice that expresses our faith in the
truth and brings our lives into rhythm with that truth. It is a path for
overcoming the so-called lesser self that is attached to desires and tormented
by deluded impulses. It is a process of training and transforming our lives to
be able to manifest our greater self, to bring forth our Buddha-wisdom and the
compassionate capacity to realize happiness for ourselves and other people."

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
This Gosho makes me think of EasyM

This Gosho makes me think of EasyM

Great events never have minor omens. When great evil occurs, great good follows.
Since great slander already exists in our land, the great correct Law will
spread without fail. What could any of you have to lament? Even if you are not
the Venerable Mahakasyapa, you should all perform a dance. Even if you are not
Shariputra, you should leap up and dance. When bodhisattva Superior Practices
emerged form the earth, did he not emerge dancing?

(WND, 1119)
Great Evil and Great Good
Date and recipient unknown

:dance013: :dance013: :dance013: :dance013: :dance013:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I can declare with confidence that each of you who bravely exerts yourself in
doing Gakkai activities and taking leadership for kosen-rufu, calmly overcoming
every obstacle along the way, will enjoy immeasurable benefit. I can state with
certitude too that each of you is in perfect accord with the Daishonin's spirit.
Your efforts win his unrestrained applause and approval.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Because life is long, you should not be impatient. What matters most is that you
embrace the Gohonzon throughout your life. It is vitally important to
continually challenge yourself to chant even a little more daimoku and to pray
before the Gohonzon for the fulfillment of your desires.

Daisaku Ikeda

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
"...I think it is important for all Buddhists—even members of the SGI—to
understand that Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is not some kind of magic formula to be
recited to fulfill desires. It is a practice that expresses our faith in the
truth and brings our lives into rhythm with that truth. It is a path for
overcoming the so-called lesser self that is attached to desires and tormented
by deluded impulses. It is a process of training and transforming our lives to
be able to manifest our greater self, to bring forth our Buddha-wisdom and the
compassionate capacity to realize happiness for ourselves and other people."

Daisaku Ikeda

VERY important.....and much appreciated! Thank you so much SoCal for posting that!

A few years ago, through some long difficult dark battles that were upon me, PTD spent a great deal of time trying to get me to come to that very understanding. I remain humbled and most grateful for all the encouragement and 'hand holding' he bestowed upon me. I am a better person for it and will always be thankful for having my eyes opened to the right road he showed, while also realizing it is incumbent upon oneself to continue on the path they've been introduced to. I am only a beginner really, and in no way have the level of understanding about Buddhism like most of you here, but we all start somewhere, right? Every time I read this thread I learn more. :biggrin:

Thank you SoCal, PTD, Babba, Payaso, Easy, and all those not mentioned, for your contributions to this wonderful place that we gather here together on this website!

Much love to you all!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.