What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Regarding Toda

Regarding Toda

Toda was my favorite leader. His history and trials. Just another time. But to me that means that you show with your life. When you chant and recieve benefit that you can show that is shakabuku with NamMyohoRengeKyo being the essence of who your are. Just as we do with each other in here. Your actions speak for who you are. We are not preaching and saying because it is, we show that if people chant they will recieve the same benefits as we do.

G

Gordy P!

Gordy P!

WOW! I'm impressed and a little speechless. All I can say is you have nothing to be afraid of, its a great feeling to feel and know. Fear is the worst thing anyone can have. Just close your eyes and JUMP! I'm cheering you on. Southern Girl

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great questions!

Great questions!

(my opinions)

Gordy!

"A single moment of life" (ichinen) is also translated as one mind, one thought, or one thought-moment. (From the first para, pg 25, three thousand realms in a single moment of life.)

Per you question: Are these quantities actual TRUTH, or simply the best method a mortal man now has to convey an understanding of actual truth to another mortal man?

My answer: Both (with a little tweak on the second part). They are the "actual truth as well as the best method an 'enlightened' man has to convey an understanding to a mortal man." The words of a Buddha are always true and can never be false.

(I say this with no emotion.) Are you sure it is not your perception rather than this wisdom that is flawed? Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it ain't got it. The way I approached it was that these guys were talking about a life-state they were referring to as 'enlightenment'. From the get go, I knew I was not that.

I decided from the beginning of my practice to embrace and accept all that I could learn from the wisdom of these Buddhas, and then reject what I was able to determine through my own life experience to be false. In 31 years, I have come to reject nothing. That's a pretty good batting average for the Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra.

Understand that the numbers come from a variety of sources. Quite a lot of them come from T'ien-t'ai's three major works and the tradition he created was carried on by his disciples of his teachings, such as Miao-lo. Of course the enlightened wisdom of the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is infinite and therefore not capable of being constrained within limiting parameters. But the Laws demonstrated are real and the power emanating from those laws is real. It is preceptable and demonstrable.

The 'tens' and 'threes' serve their purpose to summarily advance our understanding of the essences of these teachings. The understanding is only valid with the relative clarity it provides in conjunction with the correct practice for attaining enlightenment in this lifetime, in this time period of Mappo (the Latter Day of the Law). According to Nichiren Daishonin, that is nothing other than chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

SoCal!

Toda once said that "`Nam myoho renge kyo is the sum and essence of my being!"

and he also said, "The ultimate shakubuku is to determine that one's life itself is Nam myoho renge kyo"

What does that mean to you? >>> Ha! Answer: Daisaku Ikeda!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the sum and essence of the eternal enlightenment of Nichiren Daishonin. Based on how much we have flamed to a roaring level the principle of 'Master and Disciple', we too have the potential to embody this sum and essence in the core of our lives. It is a circumstance of life-force and devotion, that I have yet to attain, but aspire to.

If you correctly determine that your life itself is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, you are in a Buddha state, no matter how long it is you stay there. If you could stay there all of the time, your life would become a magnet for all who seek the Buddha Way. That is what happened to President Toda. He devoted his life to 'kosen-rufu' (world peace) because he perceived the true nature of all phenomena--Nam-myoho-renge-kyo--exists as life itself. When in such a Buddha state of total compassion, the tireless effort that one devotes their life to is the elimination of suffering through the propagation of the law. It is why a Buddha appears. Always.

And for no other reason.

T (just my opinion)

Last edited:

GordyP

What? Me Wise?

What? Me Wise?

No, in no way did my chanting experience today provide me with any answers; only questions. If Nam-myoho-renge-kyo has taught me anything in this very VERY short period of chanting, though, it is I can be honest with you all with my nature and feelings without losing your respect or honesty in return. PTDoobie, you just confirmed that belief with your response to my questioning of "The Word". Be ready for a few more questions as this science-biased engineer continues down his path. No doubt many of those who came before me had similar questions as they started down their paths as well.

Much of this nit-picking comes down to the same "Science vs. Faith" paradox which has plagued us since man first looked up at the moon or fashioned tools to help himself deal with the world he found himself in. You say "moment" to help define an element of the essence of Buddhism, and I interpret "moment" as an immeasurable unit-less point in time according to the laws of physics. But then anyone would be hard-pressed to find anything in a physics textbook about the mystic laws of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo (that's because they're MYSTIC, Gordy!). I'm counting on you all to bear with me as the right and left sides of my brain toss this hot potato back and forth awhile.

But hey, even with all this shit bouncing around between my ears, IT'S A FACT that I feel more centered, human, but most of all...happy with myself since the days when my children were born. It's happening for me. I may have plenty of questions about how and why it's happening for me, but I'd be a fool to allow it to stop happening! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to you all!

Your Brother,

GordyP

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a fact

This is a fact

Gordy,

Your great honor is that no matter what you ask, someone else reading it but not posting, will get as much if not more out of the answer, as you do. You are doing shakubuku by just breathing and continuing to talk about it. very, very, very cool.....

Congratulations!

Brother T

(Who'd a thunk it after all these years?)

GordyP

How's StoneGirl Doin'?

How's StoneGirl Doin'?

So what's the word on the typhoon since this morning? StoneGirl and kids have been in my thoughts all day. Everybody safe?

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Science vs. Faith" paradox

"Science vs. Faith" paradox

(The stonegirls and Doobie Brothers are fine. The powers of your prayers created an unexpected and previously impossible cancellation of the event, saving serious resource over what would certainly have been a meagerly attended disaster instead of gala kick-off. Thank you!)

Oh, and as far as "Science vs. Faith" paradox bullshit? Bring it on. I'll kick your ass. If you won't expect to understand everything you hear, there is nothing without answer. Not in Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. Ask away! These are all just our opinions and perspectives from life experience, but it has been entertaining so far. I'm kinda diggin' it.

smiling,

Tommy

GordyP

The Main Event

The Main Event

submitted for your approval...

A twenty-first century Scopes Monkey Trial!

No thanks, I'm no Clarence Darrow. By the way, which side of the fence would Nichiren Daishonin have been on during that little piece of history: evolution or divine creation?

GordyP(eace)

GordyP

a.k.a. Bob Ewell

a.k.a. Bob Ewell

Spank the monkey?

WHAT KIND OF MAN ARE YOUUUU! Ya got chill'in of ya'own!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thoughts and comments appreciated!

Thoughts and comments appreciated!

A wise and respected friend PM'ed me this and then gave permission to share it which I will do now with great pleasure. We wish to know each other better, and as a starting point, he has made these comments to me...(paraphrased to a small degree)

"I realize that I have far to go but my final result is not in question nor is yours. But, why did we come to earth? Look to your parentage to see a clue. Who are they and why did you choose to be born to them? What would they give you as parents and what would they enable you to do with your life?

We both have much to learn and to teach and this avenue is one of the strange ways the spirit if life and evolution works. Spiritual and physical evolution is not an option. We never learn but we do evolve. The future is very bright but bleek times may come soon. Despite the strife of the world herbs provide relief and comfort as well as true healing. Opening the world of alternative medicine and spirituality through meditation is my goal.

In todays youth a horrible nazi-like attitude has grown again. World peace is on the brink of chaos due to fear and ignorance. Will this ever end? I am troubled greatly by the strife and suffering I see in the world and even though I know that all is as it should be I cry a lot when I see things that make me feel the same delusions most people suffer from. Calling someone evil.

I appreciate any help you can give me in my quest to re-enter the temple of energy I once visited. Perhaps I somehow went astray and didn't keep meditating as I should have. Perhaps enlightenment of a first stage satisfied me for all these years but I try and I get to the entrance of the temple of energy (love) but I cannot enter."

Thank you my deep and soulful kenzoku-myo! (mystic principle of relationship)

Any help I may offer is the same as you might offer meeting any fellow traveler. My understanding of the destination or the travails in getting there make me no more likely to arrive safety than you. Two together are better than one going it alone. That is why we find ourselves with others. It is our good fortune from the seeking. It is not by accident, nor is there merit innate within longevity along the path.

A moment is the only thing that separates the sharing of experience and understanding. It is to be passed along freely and without reservation by all whom come to desire to reveal it once more. Were it not for such a preexisting connection, we could not have this conversation, as we would lack the fortune to manifest it.

The fortune to be able to discuss and embrace the merit of the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra is simply beyond the comprehension of common mortals according to the Buddhas that have perceived the true entity of all phenomena. Make one thing clear: The Buddha's will is 'kosen-rufu' (world peace). It will occur with or without any of us as individuals.

Our happiness in this and future lifetimes, the ability to profoundly impact the lives of others with joyful compassion; is what is at stake and what we have to gain from these efforts. Though we seek to selflessly serve the Law, the 'good-fortune' outflow back into our lives is a current we can never catch up with. You can never repay your debt of gratitude. No matter how much you wish to serve, the response of the karmic law is that YOU are served tenfold more!

In spite of this we become lethargic! We become passive and permissive and forget our repeated promises. However, this is the lot of a common mortal, the cause of our suffering, and why the cycle is perpetuated. The universe is not shocked or judgmental. The Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the True Buddha or kuonganjo-no-jijuyushin, Buddha of beginningless time.

The mercy of this Buddha is infinite.

When at the entrance of the Temple of Energy, try replacing 'love' with 'respect and compassion'! See if that gets you past those temple security guards! THANK YOU! That's all for now, but I have much more to say in response. Just not enough time to type it!

Tommy

G

Greetings from Cowtown

Greetings from Cowtown

Hello to All,
I guess I was asleep when all the other typing was going on. I couldn't believe all the entrys. That is exciting!
PTD,
First, so glad to hear Stonegirl and Doobies are fine. However, I'm a little concerned. Is Baby sister included in THE DOOBIES?

And I don't care what anybody says. I did not come from no fucking monkey. Piece of dirt, tinkerbell.......whatever you want but not a monkey! Time as no beginning and no end, and that is as far as I ponder that one. Because I CANNOT be from a monkey.

That note you shared was really great. I hope they will be more willing to contribute to all. Sounds like someone to stimulate the thought process. I truly enjoyed that.

PTD & GordyP,
I'm looking forward to your basketball games in here. Could be enlightening.

Love to all of you,
Southern Girl

GordyP

No Monkey's for S.G.

No Monkey's for S.G.

No Gal, I'm convinced you descended from pieces of the bright side of the moon which fell to Earth a billion years ago, combined with a little bit of tinkerbell's fairy dust.

I'm fairly certain I descended from a long lineage of the dog family, but created some really bad karma for myself and back-slid back into a damn human being in this lifetime as punishment.

On overcoming obstacles and bringing about change:

"When we conceptually relate to something, we are capable of looking at one phenomenen from many different angles. And this capacity of looking at things from different angles is quite selective for each of us; we can focus on a particular angle, a particular aspect of that phenomenon, and adopt a particular perspective. this capacity becomes very important when we seek to identify and eliminate certain negative aspects of ourselves or enhance positive traits. Because of this capacity to adopt a different perspective, we can isolate parts of ourselves that we seek to eliminate and do battle with them. These negative traits are called Nyom Mong in Tibetan, or Klesha in Sanskrit. The term literally means 'that which afflicts from within'. It is often translated as 'delusions'. To overcome them is a question that directly relates to the whole idea of whether it is possible to attain the full realization of our spiritual potential. And that is a vey serious and difficult question."
Tenzin Gyatso, His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Use the power of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to battle your personal Klesha, or delusions. What greater ally can be found?

GordyP

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
an answer to a question of why we are born here on earth

an answer to a question of why we are born here on earth

"But, why did we come to earth? Look to your parentage to see a clue. Who are they and why did you choose to be born to them? What would they give you as parents and what would they enable you to do with your life?"

We are born because of each other! (And Gordy, it's not a three or a ten!)

dependent origination: Also, dependent causation or conditioned CO-arising. A Buddhist doctrine expressing the interdependence of all things. It teaches that no beings or phenomena exist on their own; they exist or occur because of their relationship with other beings and phenomena. Everything in the world comes into existence in response to causes and conditions. That is, nothing can exist independent of other things or arise in isolation. The doctrine of the twelve linked chain of causation is a well-known illustration of this idea.

twelve linked chain of causation: Also, twelve 'nidanas' or twelve-linked chain of dependent origination. An early doctrine of Buddhism showing the causal relationship between ignorance and suffering. The Sanskrit word 'nidana' means cause or cause of existence. Shakyamuni is said to have taught the twelve-linked chain of causation in answer to the question of why people have to experience the sufferings of aging and death. Each link in the chain is a cause that leads to the next. The first link in the chain is ignorance (Skt 'avidya'), which gives rise to (2) action ('samskara') (also, volition or karmic action); (3) action causes consciousness ('vijnana'), or the function to discern; (4) consciousness causes name and form ('nama-rupa'), or spiritual and material objects of discernment; (5) name and form cause the six sense organs ('shad-ayatana'); (6) the six sense organs cause contact ('sparsha); (7) contact causes sensation ('vedana'); (8) sensation causes desire ('trishna'); (9) desire causes attachment ('upadana'); (10) attachment causes existence ('bhava'); (11) existence causes birth ('jati'); and (12) birth causes aging and death ('jara-marana')

The twelve-linked chain of causation is seen in two ways: From the way of transmigration, and the way of emancipation. From the viewpoint of the way of transmigration, ignorance gives rise to action, action causes consciousness, etc.; finally, birth causes aging and death as explained above. Thus one is caught in the cycle of delusion and suffering. On the other hand, from the viewpoint of the way of emancipation, if ignorance is wiped out, so is action; if action is wiped out, so is consciousness, etc.; finally, if birth is wiped out, so are aging and suffering. In short, if one eliminates ignorance, which is the source of suffering, one becomes free from the cycle of delusion and suffering, or attains nirvana.

'The Great Commentary on the Abhidharma,' a text of the Sarvastivada school, views the twelve-linked chain of causation as operating over the three existences of life, meaning ones past, present and future existences. (1) Ignorance and (2) action are together interpreted as the causes created in a past life; (3) consciousness through (7) sensation, as the effects manifest in the present life; (8) desire through (10) existence, as the causes created in the present life; and (11) birth and (12) aging and death, as the effects manifest in the next life. Aging and death in this life are thus the results of causes formed in a previous life.

Definitions from 'Dictionary of Buddhism'

G

So Cal Hippy

So Cal Hippy

So where and when would be a good time and place for us to have our meeting? Maybe we need to start coordinating our chanting.
Guess everyone is busy with life right now.
Stonegirl.....so glad all worked out for you. We all seem to be in rhythm right now.
Doobie.....I'm SURE you will know what your next step is
GordyP....has that job right around the corner...maybe today!
Hope you all have a great day! SG

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
hi all

hi all

Gawd damn,

I'm busy for 2 days and come here and like you SG, it's like 'how do I catch up???'

Loved your 'sincere response' awhile back; I'm under that umbrella with ya.

Vinnie Barbarino on Welcome Back Kotter? Nope never watched that show and as I replied to Gordy, I must have been partying too much during that time it was on.

Ha! Answer: Daisaku Ikeda! ??? (don't get it) Life force and devotion is what I also aspire for. Seems aspiration sometimes is all that is there. I do want to become a 'magnet'! Had to cut-paste and copy that answer PTD, pretty awesome.

Gordy, I feel for ya "with all this shit bouncing around between my ears"---I am no " science-biased engineer as you are but as you seek and continue to chant, all questions/doubts will be answered, guaranteed. Keep on truckin. I'm glad you got PTD to 'kick your midwest ass' and he's diggin it in that regard.

Great to hear "The stonegirls and Doobie Brothers are fine" (I think stonegirl(s) means the princess too, SG

monkeys....tinkerbell.....hmmm, I'm a little lost there. That is as far as I got, gtg...and catch up later.

cya

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well SHHEEIITTT!

Well SHHEEIITTT!

Thanks for all them prayers there folks! That event stonegirl was so worried about that got resceduled got massive air play.

Massive.

She was trying to hype the pending release for sale of a $15,000 piece of jewelry that they will only have 20 of. The media coverage was sooo intense they have received well over a hundred inquiries. They are projecting a sell-out within 10 minutes of their release for sale!

The difference was the media event and the difference was it being rescheduled when it was an impossibility to do so.

I know I chanted for four hours about it and alot of other stuff on Sunday. Whatever any of y'all threw in for good measure, was certainly a fine brew! I love seeing everyone seeing actual proof!

Anyone else got any good news?

T

GordyP

It's All Good!

It's All Good!

So happy to hear about Stonegirl's good fortune! I'll bet the jewlry maker is kicking himself in the ass right now, wishing he'd made 80 more of those sparklers! Stonegirl sounds like she could sell ice-makers to eskimos.

It's all good news for me now! Saved all my plants from disaster by fixing up a bunch of newbie fuck-ups (thanks, PTD); my sinuses are all cleared up from all the deep nasal chanting I'm doing; I'm suddenly catching all the green lights at intersections; made some discoveries at work that made me a big hero; will very soon be doing the same work as a salaried employee with big benefits, more money, stock options, and more days off; the Tennessee skunk crop is about to show up in Hoosierland and I'll soon be stopping my 4-month reefer fasting after starting my new gig; my self-esteem is quickly growing as my shyness is shrinking; I was turned on to the very cool doctrine of the 12 linked chain of causation (thanks again, PTD); and best of all, I'm suddenly building a super relationship with a very special person who recently came into my life. I'm ridin' the crest of one huge wave right now! These are my happiest times in many years.

Trust what your heart is telling you! Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GordyP

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
fusion of reality and wisdom

fusion of reality and wisdom

(Jpn 'kyochi-myogo') The fusion of the objective reality or truth and the subjective wisdom to realize that truth, which is the Buddha nature inherent within one's life. Since enlightenment, or Buddhahood, is defined as the state in which one fully realizes the ultimate reality, the fusion of reality and wisdom means enlightenment. T'ien-t'ai (538-597) discusses this principle in 'The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra.' In 'The Annotations on "The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra," Miao-lo (711-782) associates Shakyamuni Buddha and Many Treasures Buddha as they are portrayed in the "Treasure Tower" (eleventh) chapter of the Lotus Sutra with the fusion of reality and wisdom. This chapter describes Shakyamuni Buddha seated side by side with Many Treasures Buddha in the treasure tower. Miao-lo writes that these two Buddhas seated in this manner signify the fusion of reality and wisdom. Nichiren (1222-1282) identifies the Law that underlies the fusion of reality and wisdom as Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, and asserts that he embodies his enlightenment to that Law--the fusion of reality and wisdom--in the form of the Gohonzon, the object of devotion he established. In terms of Buddhist practice for people in the Latter Day of the Law, Nichiren maintained that, when they chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with deep faith in the Gohonzon, they achieve the fusion of reality and wisdom within their lives and are thus able to manifest the Buddha nature and attain Buddhahood. According to Nichiren, the Buddha nature constitutes reality, and faith in the Gohonzon, the embodiment of that nature, corresponds to wisdom. Nichiren states; "Reality means the true nature of all phenomena, and wisdom means the illuminating and manifesting of this true nature. Thus when the riverbed of reality is infinitely broad and deep, the water of wisdom will flow ceaselessly. When this reality and wisdom are fused, one attains Buddhahood in one's present form....What then are these two elements of reality and wisdom? They are simply the five characters of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo".

From the 'Dictionary of Buddhism

Status
Not open for further replies.