What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Congrats SoCal Hippy!

Congrats SoCal Hippy!

That is great SoCal. I know it makes a big difference when they have an understanding of what it is you do and why. I have never had that opportunity but I'm sure it is a great feeling!

But I have made a little observation I thought I would share with all of you. Alot of us have been going through some hard life changing events for the past 3-4 years and have converged on this site from July to Sept of this year. I also know we all came like cows to the water trough, but our lifes responded to it. And I also believe that there is a deep karmic connection between us all. That is all kinda neat in itself. SG
And PTD, I see that we made it to the Secret Laws! Yeah! Recess uh? (Said with love, on knees, hands clasped together, bowing)

G

Stonegirl

Stonegirl

:eek: Typhone is not like Hurricane?! Uh You know I have learned more about weather than I care to the past few years. I hope that you are safe!! Sending Diamoku. Love, SG

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yES, THAT IS THE SAME THING AS A HURRICANE

yES, THAT IS THE SAME THING AS A HURRICANE

stonegirl has a major media event scheduled for tomorrow. It cannot be cancelled, just poorly attended. The issue is how much TV coverage will be video'ed with the weather being bad.

Please pray for the success of her event! Thanks!

T

GordyP

Ditto That, S.G.!

Ditto That, S.G.!

I also think it wonderfully ironic how this group, who have all gone through some pretty significant life events recently, managed to bump together in this cyberspace at exactly the time it was needed (at least I'm sure it was when I needed it!).

Apart from the commonality of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo stands our thread starter, our comrade-in-arms, and brother, PTDoobie. My daily companion and fellow hell-raiser in youth has now once again pulled my head out of my ass and shown me I'm not standing alone in this lifetime, and there are many others like me across the country and around the world who have very similar thoughts, feelings, and experiences with the ups and downs that life challenges us with. Many thanks to my life-long friend!

Now...that being said...I also would appreciate a study break at the moment. I'm new at this and PTD has been typing out knowledge faster than I can read it. A lot of this is pretty heavy stuff that a newbie like me needs more time to digest and allow to sink in. I DO want you all to know, however: 1. I have been faithfullly chanting at least twice daily thanks to your encouragement, and 2. I have been copying and pasting all these messages of practice and history, and storing them in a special excel file. That way, I can print out a hardcopy and sit back in my favorite comfy chair to read (it's much easier for this old dude to read from hardcopy, for whatever reason). Just my two cents worth.

Keep Em Green and Growin'

GordyP

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trust me, we are taking a break

Trust me, we are taking a break

I just had to get to "this", only to see that I needed to mention "that". I finally rid myself of the compulsion by getting to Three Great Secret Laws, my goal of several days ago. Now, at a convenient pace, I will reference the page number and start a discussion in simple daily life language of what I interpret as significant about those concepts. There is a reason I spewed all that out, I'm sure. Now I have to figure out what it is.

The key is that it doesn't take much to see that some pretty smart folks thought long and hard; and that ALL of this stuff is backed up doctrinally. There is no 'loose cannon' bullshit guessing about the true nature of things. Each Buddha, contemplated what had been previously contemplated. Each adding another brick and wall into the thought structure that led to the revealing of the essence of it all.

What those of you reading these things so effortlessly available to your eyes and minds don't realize, is that the incredible good fortune to do so is beyond your capacity to appreciate! People toiled and a sacrificed, sometimes even their lives, to be able to hear these things made clear. The same mind that can see them as words, is the same mind that can glean from them emancipation.

Therefore, the issue isn't the teaching, but the one being taught.

T

Last edited:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Tasting some 'brain candy'

Tasting some 'brain candy'

Gosho - (Literally Honorable Writings) Letters written by Nichiren Daishonin to his disciples to encourage them and teach them the correct way in which to attain enlightenment.

The Wonderful Means of Surmounting Obstacles

If we examine the essential and the theoretical teachings of the Lotus Sutra, we see that the theoretical teaching maintains, as [did the teachings that came] before, that the Buddha first attained enlightenment during his present lifetime; therefore, obstacles still beset the teaching. The essential teaching has freed itself from such impediments. However, compared with the
five characters of the daimoku, it is a doctrine unsuited to the capacity of the people of the Latter Day of the Law. The wonderful means of truly putting an end to the physical and spiritual obstacles of all living beings is none other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Nichiren
Reply to Shijo Kingo

Background

While the year that this letter was written is not known with certainty, it is thought to date from around the third year of Kenji (1277). It was addressed to Shijo Kingo. The Daishonin states that, because the theoretical teaching (first half) of the Lotus Sutra does not reveal the eternity of Buddhahood, and since the view of life it offers is, therefore, a shallow one, it is lacking in the power to help people overcome obstacles and impediments arising from life's fundamental darkness. Although the essential teaching (latter half) surpasses these limitations by explaining that Shakyamuni attained enlightenment numberless major world system dust particle kalpas ago, it is still unable to help people of the Latter Day of the Law, who lack the capacity to benefit from this teaching. Only the five characters of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo can lead them to Buddhahood.

Question: Nichiren talks about the theoretical/essential teachings of the LS and both not having the power to benefit those in the Latter Day. I thought Nam myoho renge kyo was part of the 'essential' teaching in the latter half of the LS?

G

Its All Good!

Its All Good!

We are all at different places at different times and some works for some, some on different planes absorbing at different times. I too have to sit and read and reread so it is better for me to print it. So that is why maybe I just need the BOOK!
But it was kinda fun throwing spit balls in the back of the classroom with GordyP. Passing Notes! But always with the utmost respect for the professor! (I'm laughing, I'm playing) SG:abduct:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
movin an groovin

movin an groovin

It is like everyone comes here to get there daily refresher to go out and face the shit. So cool. I am sending daimoku to you stonegirl. Good luck tomorrow (or might now be today there)

and Gordy, nothing happens by chance and we are here at this time together for some major concurrence in my opinion. All are showing unbelievable actual proof of Nam myoho renge kyo and thanks again to all for their incredible contributions and efforts.

I believe we will, in the future, move on and develop a relationship with multitudes of indivicuals (Bodhisatvas), similar to this, to encourage and help them attain their true happiness (enlightment) in this lifetime.

'....as sure as an arrow pointed at the ground will hit its mark...'

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
love ur humor SG

love ur humor SG

I love the way you throw them little barbs at you know who. Got to keep the guy humble. But I know his lovely wife and the kids now makes sure that never happens. :eek:

It would really be awesome for us all to get together at some time in the future and I believe it possible. What a party and good time. gonna chant for it

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Look on page 25

Look on page 25

Question: Nichiren talks about the theoretical/essential teachings of the LS and both not having the power to benefit those in the Latter Day. I thought Nam myoho renge kyo was part of the 'essential' teaching in the latter half of the LS?

Reread the definition of the Three Great Secret Laws. Don't forget the True Buddha's advent in Mappo (the Latter Day of the Law, a period beginning two millennia after Shakyamuni's death and lasting for 10,000 years and beyond) is to reveal the correct teaching, practice and object of devotion for Bodhisattva practice in Mappo.

According to Shakyamuni himself, the theoretical (first fourteen chapters), and the essential teaching (chapters 15-28), become ineffective to lead one to enlightenment in Mappo. Only through the revealing of the Three Great Secret Laws does the Lotus Sutra remain viable, by actually fulfilling all of the prophesy contained within!

(just my opinion)

T

G

That is Great So Cal

That is Great So Cal

I am so excited to see that you chant for us to get together because I do the same! Connected validation.
And I have always been a thorn in PTD side and he does yell at me sometimes. But I know he loves me. My big Smart Brother! Cuz I love him. And somehow I imagine he sneaks the kids out for McDonals every now and then too! Stonegirl has her work cut out for her I'm sure.
Southern Girl :D

G

Regarding Secret Law Class

Regarding Secret Law Class

Raising Hand, Asking to be called on, Acting like Vinnie Barbarino!
To me the essential teachngs of the law are being displayed in this very site at this very moment. An example of the all encompassed law of NamMyoHoRengeKyo in the latter days.
Here are a whole bunch of people from all different walks of life who HAD one thing in common, chanting or the desire to understand chanting, and we have come together to give support and pull each other through some difficult times. Tho the professor has brought us together we are maintaining our own relationships with one another. Itai doshin (I think). The power that is going through this thread is a perfect example of the law and how it works and a connection to people that is shown in a way that we don't see in our daily lives. Connecting with love and care to people you do not physically know.

Was that a good answer? SG

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Page 25, para 7, three thousand realms in a single moment of life

Page 25, para 7, three thousand realms in a single moment of life

Despite its comprehensive view, the essential teaching does not go on to reveal the practice that enables one to embody directly this principle of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. Though the sutra says, "If there are those who hear the Law, then not a one will fail to attain Buddhahood," it does not identify what the Law is. That is why Nichiren (1222-1282) defined the entire Lotus Sutra--both the theoretical and essential teachings--as representing "the theoretical three thousand realms in a single moment of life."

But SG, your explaination is the true definition because the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is not a theory but life itself as we live it. Moment by moment. Each moment containing the potenital of each of the three thousand realms. The endless stream of dependent origination. Perpetual. Infinite. Spreading the Law in each lifetime. Forever revealing the Buddha nature in all things by being Bodhisattvas of the Earth!

How fortunate!

G

One for SG

One for SG

Girl with pigtails, sitting at desk, hands clasped together, chest out, with grin, looking around class room so proud she .......finally got a damn answer right! Yeah! I got it in English!!!
Do you know how long it takes to look at that stuff and put it in your own words? REspectfully, SG

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
2nd that emotion

2nd that emotion

I liked that answer too, SG. and PTD's also of course.

from the Gosho, "The Selection of the Time"

....Little streams come together to form the great ocean, and tiny particles of dust accumulate to form Mount Sumeru. When I, Nichiren, first took faith in the Lotus Sutra, I was like a single drop of water or a single particle of dust in all the country of Japan. But later, when two people, three people, ten people, and eventually ten thousand billion people, come to recite the Lotus Sutra and transmit it to others, then they will form a Mount Sumeru of wonderful enlightenment, a great ocean of nirvana! Seek no other path by which to attain Buddhahood!....

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
pondering along

pondering along

how bout another question here for those 'enlightened' ones here or any others wishing to contribute.

Toda once said that "`Nam myoho renge kyo is the sum and essence of my being!"

and he also said, "The ultimate shakubuku is to determine that one's life itself is Nam myoho renge kyo"

What does that mean to you?

G

Sincere Response

Sincere Response

And I too loved what you wrote So CAl. I had someone ask me, would they be any less of a buddhist if they didn't know all the study. And my response to that is no way. I think as people, especially ones who pull together as in SGI, you are people and have different strengths. A group would be strong with diamoku, one would be strong with study, one would be strong with activities....our personalities of who we are come into play and pull it all together. Not all of us have those strengths. However, any sincere prayer made by chanting NamMyohoRengeKyo will not go unanswered. That was the purpose of Nichiren Diashoin creating NamMyohoRengeKyo, so all could become enlightened. So the umbrella is there for all who seek this truth. One who has been practicing for many years does not have any more fortune than one who has just started. Your heart, your sincereity, your attitude is what makes it powerful, not years. The more you try to learn and understand of course the more powerful your faith etc, but that is the beauty of this practice. Your level of success and growth is individual and totally up to you. Just my thought I had to put out there. SG

G

Get Out of Here So CAl!

Get Out of Here So CAl!

Do you not remember when John Travolta played Vinnie Barbarino on Welcome Back Kotter. He and that other geak always jumping up and down in class, with their hand up ? Please tell me you remember that? I know I'm one of the younger ones here! I hope!:confused:

GordyP

Moment Perpetual INFINITE

Moment Perpetual INFINITE

Just got back from running Max through the woods on a rare warm, sunny day in Indiana. Just me n' Max alone with no one else around, enjoying sights, sounds, and smells which have remained the same for thousands of years (without any "help" from our own ravenous, destructive species). Seeing how everything was naturally preparing itself for the Winter months, the same as it had long before any man came on the scene, struck me with awe and reverance. while Max sniffed around in his own world, I sat down on a sun-warmed rock and slowly began my first chant of the day. I started chanting softly, not wanting to disturb the order of things in that spot, but very soon felt a realization of the chant synchronizing itself with all the natural sounds around me. I began to chant louder and it fit in quite well with the sounds of my surroundings; and sitting on that warm rock, I was one with the woods and the woods was one with me. I belonged there. My most spiritual chanting session to date. It took my thought process to a new high.

"Each MOMENT contains the potential of each of the 3000 realms. The ENDLESS stream of dependent origination. PERPETUAL. INFINITE." (taken from earlier post)

To my way of thinking, all of the words capitalized above are one in the same. How can one define a "moment"? Does one last for a second? for a nano-second? for an instant? A "moment" is an invention of man, created for his convenience. For any length of time a moment is described as, that length can further be divided into an infinite number of other "moments". This is why a moment cannot be accurately defined in terms understandable to us. Like the infinite, even a "moment" has no beginning and no end. So a moment not only contains the POTENTIAL of each of the 3000 realms, it definitely contains enough time for all 3000 realms, an infinite number of times over.

Question: How can the mystic laws of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo, a truth with no beginning and no end, be QUANTIFIED in any form of time or space? Doctrines here, as in other faiths of man, all seem centered around base-10 numbers, with Buddhism also particularly fond of laws and truths described in multiples of the number 3. Perhaps the study of laws, doctrines, and truths may be more easily conveyed and proliferated by this application of LIMITS, but I have to admit here, accepting these limits as they've been written over the ages, will be my toughest hurdle in coming to better understand the requirements of achieving total enlightenment. Are these quantities actual TRUTH, or simply the best method a mortal man now has to convey an understanding of actual truth to another mortal man? Though my faith in the power of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is now stronger than it has ever been in this lifetime, please help me to understand the purpose, the need, for all these limited quantities in a limitless continuum of time, space, and energy. Could there be a logical reason or a power of karma which created this train of thought in me during my session of chanting in the woods today?

Scared shitless, but staying strong with the program,

GordyP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts