What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ten onenesses

ten onenesses

Also, ten non-dualities. Ten principles set forth by Miao-lo (711-782) in 'The Annotations on "The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra".' In this work, Miao-lo discusses the ten mystic principles of the theoretical teaching (first half) of the Lotus Sutra and the ten mystic principles of the essential teaching (latter half) of the sutra, which T'ien-t'ai expounded in The 'Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra', and reveals the ten onenesses. The section of Miao-lo's work that explains this principle later became an independent work called 'The Ten Onenesses.' In it, Miao-lo states that the concept of the ten onenesses includes the ten mystic principles of both the theoretical and essential teachings. The ten onenesses are as follows: (1) The oneness of body and mind. What one observes in meditation is one mind or one thought (Jpn 'ichinen'), which is an indivisible whole of body and mind. (2) The onenesses of internal and external. Though the object of meditation is divided into two--the internal object, or the realm of one mind, a psychosomatic entity; and the external object, or the external world of physical and spiritual phenomena--these two are non-dual because one mind embodies the three truths and includes all three thousand realms. (3) The oneness of the result of practice and the true nature of life. This means that the true nature of life, or the true nature of all phenomena, is no different from what one ultimately attains through Buddhist practice. The true nature moves one to practice, and practice enables one to manifest the true nature. (4) The onenesses of cause and effect. "Cause" here means ordinary people, and "effect," Buddhahood. The oneness of cause and effect means that the Buddha nature inherent in the ordinary person is the same as the Buddha nature that the Buddha has manifested. (5) The oneness of the impure and the pure. Because ignorance and delusion and enlightenment are two expressions of the same mind and essentially one, the impure mind shrouded in ignorance is itself the pure mind that is enlightened. (6) The oneness of life and its environment. Both the Buddha as a living being and the Buddha land as the environment exist in one mind and are therefore non-dual. (7) The oneness of self and others. "Self" means the Buddha, who teaches, "others" means ordinary people, who are taught and enlightened. But they are non-dual because both the Buddha and ordinary people embody the three truths and are endowed with the three thousand realms. In other words, both self (Buddhaood) and others (the nine worlds) are inherent in one mind. (8) The oneness of thought, word and deed. The Buddha saves people through his three categories of action--thought, speech, and behavior. These three categories of the Buddha are no different from those of ordinary people because they arise from the three thousand realms inherent in both. Moreover, these three exist in one mind as a psychosomatic whole and therefore are one. (9) The oneness of the provisional and true teachings. The Buddha preaches the provisional teachings (the three vehicles) and the true teaching (the one vehicle) according to the people's capacity. Because they both spring from the Buddha's enlightened mind, however, they are non-dual. (10) The oneness of benefits. Though people receive differing benefits according to the level of the Buddha's teaching that they practice (such as provisional and true), both the Buddha and the people ultimately enjoy the same benefit, just as plants in a field are all nourished equally by the rain.

From the 'Dictionary of Buddhism'

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are anyone's perceptions being stimulated by all of my typing? Should I continue to present concepts that are ultimately brain candy since all are included in the simple invocation of the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo? It is because this is so simple that I feel compelled to share the depth of consideration that transpired over thousands of years that led to the ability and karma to be able to perceive and experience this personification of the Law in its simplest and, at the same time, most complex form.

We can say as simply as "Chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" all that is necessary to engage the influence of activating our Buddha nature; something that took contemplative meditation and years to achieve otherwise. This is tremendous good fortune beyond imagination, beyond the capacity to perceive, in the absence of enlightenment. But we enter that life-state every time we say Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Fact.

Is everyone grasping what I am explaining through the presentation of definitions? Are there ANY questions? Please ask away if there are. Yoda is still lurking, so there is almost nothing one could ask that could not be responded to.

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
three truths

three truths

Also, threefold truth, triple truth or three perceptions of the truth. The truth of non-substantiality, the truth of temporary existence, and the truth of the Middle Way. The three integral aspects of the truth, or ultimate reality, formulated by T'ien-t'ai (538-597) in 'The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra' and 'Great Concentrations and Insight.' The truth of non-substantiality means that phenomena have no existence of their own; their true nature is non-substantial, indefinable in terms of existence or nonexistence. The truth of temporary existence means that, although non-substantial, all things possess a temporary reality that is in constant flux. The truth of the Middle Way means that the true nature of phenomena is that they are neither non-substantial nor temporary, although they display attributes of both. The Middle Way is the essence of things that continues either in a manifest or latent state. According to T'ien-t'ai's explanation, the Tripitaka teaching and the connecting teaching do not reveal the truth of the Middle Way and therefore lack the three truths. The specific teaching reveals the three truths but shows them as being separate from and independent of one another; that is, it does not teach that these are inseparable aspects of all phenomena. This view is called the separation of the three truths. The perfect teaching views the three as an integral whole, each possessing all three within itself. This is called the unification of the three truths.

From the "Dictionary of Buddhism'

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Man who stand on toilet is high on pot.

Keep typing away PTD. Sometimes it is so deep not to stimulate the questions but it is mind blowing info takin in its context of when and who expounded these teachings.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
threefold contemplation in a single mind

threefold contemplation in a single mind

Also, threefold contemplation. A method of meditation formulated by T'ien-t'ai (538-597) in 'Great Concentrations and Insight,' intended to enable one to perceive the unification of the three truths of non-substantiality, temporary existence, and the Middle Way.

While the concept of unification of the three truths constitutes the doctrinal core of T'ien-t'ai's teachings, threefold contemplation in a single mind constitutes the core of T'ien-t'ai's practice. T'ien-t'ai doctrine regards each phenomena as a perfect unity of the three truths and sets forth the threefold contemplation in a single mind as the practice by which one attains insight into this perfect unity. This contemplation involves perceiving the three truths as simultaneously and perfectly integrated and infused in each phenomenon. By doing so, one is said to rid oneself of the three categories of illusion and acquire at once the three kinds of wisdom--the wisdom of the two vehicles, the wisdom of the bodhisattvas, and the Buddha wisdom. T'ien-t'ai also describes a single mind as comprising the three thousand realms. In this sense, threefold contemplation in a single mind is equal to observing a single moment of life and seeing the three thousand realms within it. At the same time, one perceives that all phenomena consist of the three thousand realms.

GordyP

A New Arrival!

A New Arrival!

Pass out the cigars! Had a new baby born today. A cute little South African Poison X Skunk seedling finally decided to pop out it's head and take a look at the world. Rest assured I'll be giving it all the TLC and attention a new father can offer (that is, till I chop it's ass off, dry it out, and set it on fire!)

Keep Em Green and Growin'

GordyP

G

Response to a Question with a Question!

Response to a Question with a Question!

Hey PTDDDDDDDD,
Know that all your typing is appreciated. Some of it I grasp and some of it I don't. But we know that when we are ready it will all click. So it is never wasted. Sometimes what you write is understood, sometimes you have to ponder it, and sometimes you don't know what the hell you are talking about. But that doesn't mean that we are all on the same page. So as SoCAl (good to see you )said, "Type away!" It is also your fortune to do it as you know. And quite frankly it is who you are, part of your role. I have never met anyone who understood, retained and could spout off some of the stuff like you do. So know that sometimes when you don't get a response, what you do is appreciated. Also, people read it and come back and speak it through what you have written only in English not Buddha if you know what I mean.
Now here is my question..............
Now if I were brave,
I could find the cave,
Patches (Buddha) just might be near.
But instead, I am forced to play nurse,(30 years)
To a horse, (that would be Texas)
Why in the world am I here?

Southern Girl

G

Gordy P!

Gordy P!

I hope you know that all I've had my hole life is Mexican Trash and I have no idea what you speak of, But if it warrants a cigar I will smoke one for ya! SG

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Am I supposed to be afraid?

Am I supposed to be afraid?

I know GordyP! He is no match for the guile of SG when she wants something! The words to my poor childhood smash hit song, are now available for public scrutiny. No problem. They make fun of John Kerry too!

This next definition is a very important one. Please pay attention!

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
three thousand realms in a single moment of life

three thousand realms in a single moment of life

(Jpn 'ichinen-sanzen') Also, the principle of a single moment of life comprising three thousand realms. "A single moment of life" (ichinen) is also translated as one mind, one thought, or one thought-moment. A philosophical system established by T'ien-t'ai (538-597) in his 'Great Concentration and Insight' on the basis of the phrase "true aspect of all phenomena" from the "Expedient Means" (second) chapter of the Lotus Sutra. The three thousand realms, or the entire phenomenal world, exist is a single moment of life. The number three thousand here comes from the following calculation: 10 (Ten Worlds) X 10 (Ten Worlds) X 10 (ten factors) X 3 (three realms of existence). Life at any moment manifests one of the Ten Worlds. Each of these worlds possesses the potential for all ten within itself, and this "mutual possession," or mutual inclusion, of the Ten Worlds is represented as 10 (squared), or a hundred, possible worlds. Each of these worlds possesses the ten factors, making one thousand factors or potentials, and these operate within each of the three realms of existence, thus making three thousand realms.

The theoretical teaching (first half) of the Lotus Sutra expounds the ten factors of life. It also sets forth the attainment of Buddhahood by persons of the two vehicles (voice-hearers and cause-awakened ones), which signifies the mutual possession of the Ten Worlds. The essential teaching (latter half) of the sutra reveals the true cause (the eternal nine worlds), the true effect (eternal Buddhahood), and the true land (the eternal land or realm of the environment). T'ien-t'ai unified all these concepts in one system, three thousand realms in a single moment of life.

Volume five of 'Great Concentrations and Insight reads: "Life at each moment is endowed with all Ten Worlds. At the same time, each of the Ten Worlds is endowed with all Ten Worlds, so that an entity of life actually possesses one hundred worlds. Each of these worlds in turn posses thirty realms, which means that in the one hundred worlds there are three thousand realms. Three thousand realms of existence are all possessed by life in a single moment. If there is no life, that is the end of the matter. But if there is the slightest bit of life, it contains all the three thousand realms....This is what we mean when we speak of the 'region of the unfathomable."

"Life at each moment" means life as an indivisible whole that includes body and mind, cause and effect, and sentient and insentient things. A single moment of life is endowed, as stated above, with the three thousand realms. The relationship of these two elements is not such that one precedes the other, or that they are simultaneous in the sense that one is included in the other. Actually they are non-dual or as T'ien-t'ai put it, "two [in phenomena] but not two [in essence]." The provisional teachings all stated that all phenomena arise from the mind, or that they are subordinate to the mind. The Lotus Sutra clarifies that the true aspect is inseparable from all phenomena, and that all phenomena, just as they are, are in themselves the true aspect. When T'ien-t'ai stated, "The three thousand realms of existence are all possessed by life in a single moment....But if there is the slightest it of life, it contains all three thousand realms," he is referring to the non-duality of a "single moment of life' and the "three thousand realms."

"The three thousand realms in a single moment of life" is classified into two as the theoretical principle and the actual embodiment of this principle. These are respectively termed the 'theoretical three thousand realms in a single moment of life' and the 'actual three thousand realms in a single moment of life.' The theoretical principle is based on the theoretical teaching of the Lotus Sutra, which expounds the equality of Buddhahood and the nine worlds. Both, it points out, are manifestations of the true aspect. The theoretical teaching also reveals the mutual possession of the Ten Worlds based on the principle that persons of the two vehicles, who were denied Buddhahood in the provisional teachings, also possess innate Buddhahood and can attain it. Strictly speaking, however, the theoretical teaching reveals only the hundred worlds and, multiplying by the ten factors of life, the thousand factors, and does not reveal their eternal nature. Only when supported by the essential teaching (the latter half) of the Lotus Sutra, can the theoretical teaching be said to expound theoretically, as a possibility, the three thousand realms in a single moment of life.

On the other hand, the essential teaching reveals Shakyamuni's enlightenment in the remote past (the true effect, eternal Buddhahood), the eternal life of his disciples, the Bodhisattvas of the Earth (the true cause, the external nine worlds), and the eternity of the 'saha' world (the true land). These explain the eternal Ten Worlds and the eternal three realms of existence, and thus "the actual three thousand realms in a single moment of life."

Despite its comprehensive view, the essential teaching does not go on to reveal the practice that enables one to embody directly this principle of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. Though the sutra says, "If there are those who hear the Law, then not a one will fail to attain Buddhahood," it does not identify what the Law is. That is why Nichiren (1222-1282) defined the entire Lotus Sutra--both the theoretical and essential teachings--as representing "the theoretical three thousand realms in a single moment of life."

In contrast, Nichiren embodied his life embracing the three thousand realms in a single moment, or the life of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, in the mandala known as the Gohonzon and established the practice for attaining Buddhahood. That practice is to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, with faith in the Gohonzon. In Nichiren's teaching, this is the practice for "observing the mind," i.e., observing one's own mind and seeing Buddhahood in it. For this reason, his teaching is summarized in the phrase "embracing the Gohonzon is in itself observing one's mind" or "embracing the Gohonzon is in itself attaining Buddhahood."

He states in a 1273 letter known a 'Reply to Kyo o,' "I, Nichiren, have inscribed my life in 'sumi' ink, so believe in the Gohonzon with your whole heart. The Buddha's will is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo." (412), and in his 1273 treatise 'The Object of Devotion for Observing One's Mind:' "Showing profound compassion for those unable to comprehend the gem of the doctrine of the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, the Buddha wrapped it within the five characters [of Myoho-renge-kyo], with which he then adorned the necks of the ignorant people of the latter age" (376).

Nichikan (1665-1726) the twenty-six chief priest of Taiseki-ji temple, interpreted the above passage of volume five of 'Great concentration and insight' from the viewpoint of Nichiren's teaching. Nichikan defined "life at each moment" as the life of the eternal Buddha, or Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which is inscribed down the center of the Gohonzon; he further interpreted "endowed with the Ten Worlds" as the Buddhas, bodhisattvas, and other figures inscribed on both sides of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in the Gohonzon. These represent the principles of the mutual possession of the Ten worlds, the hundred worlds and the thousand factors, and the three thousand realms. According to Nichikan, the sentence "The three thousand realms of existence are all possessed by life in a single moment" refers to the "region of the unfathomable," which he interprets as the object of devotion that embodies the principle of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. This is not to be viewed simply as an external object but as something that exists in the life of a person with faith in the object of devotion. Without faith, the object of devotion endowed with the three thousand realms does not exist within one's life. This, Nichikan stated, is the ultimate meaning of T'ien-t'ai's doctrine.

G

SG Guile?

SG Guile?

Dear PTD,
I'll have you know there was no guile involved in obtaining the words to your hit childhood tune. And quite frankly, I thought the tune fit my life pretty well. You had no idea you were singing the destiny of my life at that young age. And further more, I would NEVER compare you to Kerry!

And I read every word of your 3 Realms and it is Still difficult to understand. Love, SG

G

PS......

PS......

And no you weren't suppose to be afraid. You were suppose to be entertained! Humored! Laugh..........SG

stonegirl

sorry

sorry

can't keep it up with you guys, I am a full time mother of 4 babies on Saturday & Sundadys, so I really can't be here much, thanks SG, I am fine. congradulate on you new baby GordyP, hope its a girl:) Paul is crying, got to go....

love stonegirl

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
three types of learning

three types of learning

(Jpn 'san-gaku') Also, three disciplines. Three disciplines that Buddhist practitioners seek to master: precepts (Skt 'shila'), meditation ('dhyana'), and wisdom ('prajna'). These three are said to encompass all aspects of Buddhist doctrine and practice. Precepts are rules or disciplines intended to prevent error and put an end to evil in thought, word, and deed. Meditation is a practice designed to focus one's mind and cause it to become tranquil. Wisdom rids one of illusions and enables one to realize the truth.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Three Great Secret Laws

Three Great Secret Laws

The core principles of Nichiren's teachings. They are the object of devotion of the essential teaching, the daimoku of the essential teaching, and the sanctuary of the essential teaching. Here, "essential teaching" refers to the teaching of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and not to the essential teaching, or the latter fourteen chapters, of the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren (1222-1282) established these three essential principles to enable people in the Latter Day of the Law to attain Buddhahood. They are called secret because they are implicit in the text of the "life Span" chapter (sixteenth) chapter of the Lotus Sutra and remained hidden or unknown until Nichiren revealed hem. Nichiren regarded them as the vital teaching that Shakyamuni Buddha transferred to Bodhisattva Superior Practices in the "Supernatural Powers" (twenty-first) chapter of the sutra. He regarded his mission as one with that of Bodhisattva Superior Practice.

The Three Great Secret Laws represent Nichiren's embodiment of the Mystic Law, to which he was enlightened, in a form that all people can practice and thereby gain access to that Law within their own lives. He associated the Three Great Secret Laws with the three types of learning set forth in Buddhism--precepts, meditation, and wisdom. Specifically, the object of devotion corresponds to meditation, the sanctuary to precepts, and the daimoku to wisdom. Concerning the three types of learning based on the Lotus Sutra, Dengyo (767-822), in his 'Questions and Answers on Regulations for Students of the Tendai School,' states, "The spacelike immovable precept, the spacelike immovable meditation, and the spacelike immovable wisdom--these three together are transmitted under the name 'Wonderful Law'" The three types of learning based on the Lotus Sutra are called "spacelike" and "immovable" because, like space, which represents the ultimate truth, they are immovable, or imperturbable. Nikko, Nichiren's successor, stated that in Nichiren's teachings the object of devotion corresponds to the spacelike immovable meditation, the sanctuary to the spacelike immovable precept, and the daimoku to the spacelike immovable wisdom.

Nichiren mentions the Three Great Secret Laws in several of his writings (all dated after his near execution at Tatsunokuchi and subsequent exile to Sado Island in 1271), and in a work known as 'On the Three Great Secret Laws,' he offers a detailed definition.

At the core of the Three Great Secret Laws is the One Great Secret Law. This is the object of devotion of the essential teaching, or Nichiren's embodiment in the form of a mandala of the eternal Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which he fully realized and manifested in his life. He writes in 'The Person and the Law,' "Deep in this mortal flesh I preserve the ultimate secret Law inherited from Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, at Eagle Peak." Because embracing this object of devotion called the Gohonzon is the only precept in Nichiren's teachings, the place where it is enshrined corresponds to the place where one vows to observe the Buddhist precepts--the ordination platform, or sanctuary, of the essential teaching. The term 'precept' in Buddhism implies preventing error and putting an end to evil. The daimoku of the essential teaching indicates the invocation or chanting of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with faith in the object of devotion; it includes chanting the daimoku for oneself and teaching it to others. Thus, both the sanctuary and the daimoku derive from the object of devotion.

Later, Nichikan (1665-1726), the twenty-sixth chief priest of Taiseki-ji temple, classified the Three Great Secret Laws into Six Great Secret Laws. First, the object of devotion is viewed in terms of both Person and Law. The Person indicates Nichiren himself, who achieved the enlightenment and virtues of the eternal Buddha and who established the Buddhism of sowing for all people in the Latter Day of the Law. The object of devotion in terms of the Law is the Gohonzon, which embodies Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Second, the sanctuary also has two aspects, the specified sanctuary, and the general sanctuary. The former is the sanctuary to e built at the time of 'kosen-rufu', or wide propagation, in accordance with Nichiren's instruction. This is the place where the object of devotion Nichiren inscribed for all humanity (commonly known as the Dai-Gohonzon) is to be enshrined when his teaching has been widely spread and established. The general sanctuary is any place where one enshrines the object of devotion and engages in practice. Third, the daimoku of the essential teaching also has two aspects: the daimoku of faith and the daimoku of practice. The former means to believe in the Gohonzon, and the latter means to chant the daimoku and spread it.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Thanks to all

Thanks to all

Good morning everyone,

Had a significant breakthru last nite with my 'significant other'. She agreed that she will chant with me every day! Cool, huh?
This is a major benefit after 3+ yrs and I want to thank everyone who has been chanting for us.

THANK YOU!!!

GordyP

Way To Go, SoCal!

Way To Go, SoCal!

Man, I bow to your powers of persuasion! Now if you start noticing yourself feeling younger and getting better lookin' all the time, you'll know what she's been chanting for and she'll be hooked for life! ;) jus skiddin' I've never seen ya, but with that So Cal name, I'm picturing a buff, tanned, poolboy type, with a 6-pack of abs, right? Have her throw some of THOSE chants my way when she's done working on you.

All kiddin' aside, I'm happy for you, bro. One being helping another discover a simple, but powerful, universal truth. You must be overflowing with great karma about now!

GordyP

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow!

Wow!

Super Wow!!! That is unbelievable! That is the impossible coming true! No one here reading this can possibly understand the distance that you have traveled to get to this destination! After all, as a lifelong practicing Catholic, she had made the vow that she would never, ever under any circumstances!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

stonegirl

Congratulations SoCal

Congratulations SoCal

That is unbelievable!I am so happy for you two, keep it going!!!
and GordyP, I think you are vrey right about Socal's look, you can add "handsome" on your list, cause I have heard he said my son look "just like him" when he was a baby;) we are having a Typhone here, it raining like crazy outside, chant for me please guys!

love stonegirl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts