What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just got an email from Yoda (VegasBuddha)

I just got an email from Yoda (VegasBuddha)

This is to all of us, even though the salutation is to PDT (I called Pat and clarified that point personally):

PTD,

As in all things, they are no more than transient, nothing is eternal except
our happiness and the causes and effects we each make throughout our
existence.

So ma(n)y shared with me, exactly what I needed for my own success. I offer
in turn, what I understand my life to be. I hope each of you feel the trade
was as fair as I do. I have found success in my efforts, due in totality to
each and every one of you. I thank-you! I hope each and every one of you
can experience the same success in all you do. In parting I would like to
share my most important thoughts that lead to my understanding of my
practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism.

Single-mindedness

Lotus Sutra - "Single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha, not hesitating,
even if it costs them their lives" (LS 16-230)

In response the Buddha appears! (WND p.389)

Single-mindedly (WND p.389-390)

- Observing the Buddha.

- Concentrating one's mind on seeing the Buddha.

- When looking at one's mind perceiving that it is the Buddha.

An ordinary mind becomes the mind of the Buddha, with either selfless
devotion or a seeking spirit. Daisaku Ikeda, Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra V.4
(p.286)

"The heart is what really matters. One simply cannot understand Buddhism
without a pure and seeking spirit, stemming from the depth's of one's heart.
When we practice with the awareness that we might only encounter the
Gohonzon once in a hundred, million, or ten billion years, a profound sense
of appreciation fills our heart each time we perform gongyo." Daisaku Ikeda,
Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra V.4 (p.286)

Thank-you!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going home on Wednesday

Going home on Wednesday

I sure hope someone will keep posting so the thread doesn't fall off of the first page of the directory. I'll be going from there (asia), to europe, back to asia and back to here by the 4th. I'll do my best but courld sure use some help! Amsterdame's b-day is Thursday, and I'll be in the air over the Pacific, so A-dame! Happy Birthday girl! Southern girl's house is smack dab in the middle of where they are predicting land fall for Ivan. Everyone please chant and pray for her too. SoCal, it is up to you for the next three days starting tomorrow. CAN YOU DO IT? Don't you think so? How about dat? Congratulations! Sank you verry muuch!

amsterdame

Hey there, PTD, that's mighty kind of ya! Thanks so much for the b-day wishes. :wave:

I'm not at all surprised that rhythm/vibration has a central place in the heart of buddhism, dear doob. I know from personal experience that some pretty fantastic stuff happens when we attune ourselves to the rhythms of the universe.

Along with my signature, another notable quote that has provided much guidance in my life, comes from the late Babtunde Olatunji, great ambassador of the drum:

"When you fall out of rhythm with yourself, your family, your community, the earth or with spirit, disease is sure to follow."

Chanting can definitely bring you back into rhythm, as well as drumming and dancing....

:cool:

Have a wonderful trip home, PTD. May it all go well and your baggage stay connected to your flights.

Peace~

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
my prayers are with you SouthGirl and everyone in the south soon to be hit by Ivan. and I heard last night another one is coming in behind it. many daimoku are needed now and I will contribute my share. PTD, have a safe trip and i'm looking forward to seeing your little munchkins and wife over the holidays. also, it was great to see some more of vegas's imput thru ure email from him. always very thought provoking.

I wanted to share something I recv'd by email from my x, which was a copied from a magazine article. I do this because even tho Nichiren's Buddhism has been established in the 13th century, it wasn't until 1960 when it was introduced to the states and at that time the only ppl chanting were japanese warbrides; many who didn't spk english. anyway, because now we have like 3rd generation Nichiren Buddhists and I have 3 children in this group. ages 21, 20 and 18; 2 are away at college (and I started when I was 19) this article really hit home with me and I hope others will enjoy it. so here it is:

Chanting for Happiness from an Utne Magazine Article

September / October 2004

By Eliza Thomas

I was born to parents whose good intentions change the world. That's why they call me a "fortune baby," a child born into the practice of Nichiren Buddhism. Among fellow Buddhists, fortune babies like me are regarded with awe and affection. By virtue of my discerning taste in parents, my very existence has been fortified by prayer, millions of chanted repetitions of the phrase Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo was undoubtedly the sound track at the scene of my birth. It was certainly the white noise of my childhood, and when I went off to college I left the phrase resonating in my wake. As my folks insist, should my sister and I choose to use the power of the practice, there is no end to what we could accomplish. But even without doing all that hard work, our parents' chanting entitles us to a certain amount of karmic nepotism, a virtual goodie bag of cosmic returns.

Asking my parents to define Nam-myoho-renge-kyo (Nah-m MEE-yo-ho RAIN-gay KEE-yo) can provoke more questions than answers. Devotees understand it to mean "devotion to the mystic law of cause and effect through sound/vibration," and, simply put, my mother and father believe that chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo allows them to tap into the "rhythm of the universe." As a child looking for attention, I would do the running
man or the robot to the rhythm of the universe, trying to get my parents to crack a smile during evening prayer.

I grew up on New York City's Lower East Side, where nothing is more unfashionable than enthusiasm. And yet, in my family's apartment at least, enthusiasm was inescapable. My parents had discovered the secret to creating "ultimate happiness" in this lifetime and, naturally, they were excited about it. Even worse, they were determined to share the news with the babysitter, the postman, the supermarket checkout attendant, the crazy cat lady in 3C, and every hapless cabbie who gave us a ride. Later, many of these people arrived at our doorstep, tentatively hopeful, drawn by my parents' invitation to stop by for the weekly chance to see their promise of happiness put to the test. It would be hard to imagine a more earnest gathering of strangers, at least
in lower Manhattan.

When I was old enough to recognize America's inexhaustible
fascination with Eastern religion, I began indulging in the thrill of casually letting it drop among friends that my parents were Buddhist. I enjoyed cultivating the image of my parents doing hip, mystical Buddhist things, like sitting for hours in zazen on a tatami mat or something, perhaps every now and then turning to give me a contemplative smile. Not quite.
The awkward reality of my parents' Buddhist practice -- the
fund-raisers and phone trees, the fervent affirmations, the bagels and cream cheese and hysterical effervescence shared at district meetings -- was, at the time, so dorky it hurt.

I can remember staging rebellions as early as age 6, when I refused to sing along with the now defunct Buddhist jingle "Have a Gohonzon!" A gohonzon is the object of devotion before which Nichiren Buddhists like my parents pray. The tune was borrowed from "Hava Nagila" (apparently my mother was not the only Jew-Bu in the bunch). Despite my strike, the lyrics, perhaps waiting for this very chance at immortality, are burned into my brain: Have a gohonzon / Have a gohonzon / Have a gohonzon /
Chant for a while / You'll find that you will be / Full of vitality /
Watching your benefits grow in a pile!

That song is a less graceful example of the long-standing tradition of incorporating intercultural elements into Nichiren Buddhist faith.

The founder and namesake of the practice, Nichiren Daishonin, was a 13th-century radical Japanese priest who asserted, in a time of clerical corruption, that every living being had a Buddha nature and could therefore attain enlightenment without the help of an ordained intermediary. Nichiren drew his teachings from the Lotus Sutra, one of the final sutras delivered by the Buddha. As the story goes, in order to make the liturgy accessible to everyone in the world, he completed a translation fusing all the known languages of the time. To this day,from New Jersey to Ghana, Nichiren's disciples chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, a combination of ancient Chinese and Sanskrit,pronounced with a Japanese accent.

Unlike their Zen counterparts, Nichiren Buddhists embrace their
earthly desires as a means to achieve happiness in this lifetime. My parents have an index card next to the gohonzon on their altar, listing an ever-evolving list of their wishes for themselves, their loved ones,and the world. By forming a direct alliance between their life condition and the rhythm of the universe, my parents believe they are augmenting their purest intentions with universal assistance. They call this process "human revolution" and have faith that it will lead them to "become absolutely happy in this lifetime, help others to do the same, and, person by person, create world peace."

As Nichiren Buddhists, my parents are members of a global
organization called Soka Gakkai International (SGI). In the spirit of engaged Buddhism, members of SGI, one of the world's most ethnically and socially diverse Buddhist groups, base their faith in action. To this end, SGI works closely with a long list of peace, education, and environmental protection groups like the Boston Research Center, the Pacific Basin Research Center, and the Earth Charter. In addition to their community work, twice a day every day, in their homes and at local "culture centers," all the world's 12 million SGI members sit down and chant in prayer for kosen rufu (the spread of the teachings), understood as the promotion of world peace.

The older I get, the harder it becomes to dismiss the pursuit of
world peace as dorky. But kosen rufu is composed of millions of
individuals' hopes, desires, and intentions, many of which are much easier to make fun of. Because my parents have resolved to see evidence of their prayers wherever they look, they do. In Buddhist speak, this evidence is called "actual proof"
or "benefits," and recognizing benefits is a way to maintain an energetic practice. My parents and I agree that some
benefits -- such as their successful marriage, the impulsive
beginnings of which have now become the stuff of family legend --truly do indicate larger forces at work. My father decided he wanted to get married, so he asked two girls to a Buddhist meeting and proposed to the one who was moved to tears. My mother prudently told him she needed at least a week to decide, dreamed prophetically that my father would be a good match,
and now, 30 years later, they are happily married, living in the
suburbs, with two kids, two cars, a golden retriever, and many
reasons to be thankful. Other declared benefits, like when the guy at the doughnut shop runs out to the parking lot to give my father the eyeglasses he forgot on the counter, are not so clear-cut.

Now that I am reaching the quarter-century mark, though, I have less energy to rebel against my parents' resolute benefit-spotting and blessing-counting. Being obstinate and obnoxious was age-appropriate behavior at 13, but at 24, and struggling to cobble my way in the world, I am not about to turn up my nose at a dose of self-empowering optimism. Nor am I willing to sacrifice my happiness for the satisfaction of proving my parents wrong. I realize now that there are worse parental vices than enthusiasm. My parents gave me the key to creating positive change in the world, and believe me, when I am driving on a windy, icy
mountain road in a snowstorm, I am chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, and I am not smirking.

The first 18 years of my life were framed by my parents' prayers, and since I left home I have felt buoyed by the power of their intention. As idealistic as it may be, I would not deny that there is something encouraging about being included in my parents' wish to "wrap the world in shoten zenjin" (protective forces). And, admittedly, my life, from my conception on that fateful day on Martha's Vineyard (too rainy for the beach), has been good. As a fortune baby, cradled in the arms of my parents' focused intent, I had the luxury to take good fortune for granted. But as my adult path becomes less certain, I find myself drawing confidence from the navigation techniques I've inherited, and I am grateful. Undoubtedly, this is a benefit my mother and father have
been chanting for all along.

Eliza Thomas is an editorial intern at Utne.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Woa.....

Woa.....

Fucking tears rolling down my face. Thanks SoCal! Somebody out there reading this, please try it. Please! When I started, the person that first introduced me to Nam-myoho-renge kyo, wouldn't tell me what it meant or what it was. I had no idea it was even buddhism. I had no more information than, "Say these words and think about what you want to have happen, and it will happen!"

A perfect example of when being the most desparate is the greatest of all fortunes!

T

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
anyone still around???

anyone still around???

PTB must be flying over the Pacific right now. I'm thinking alot abt SouthGirl and hoping Ivan limited damage to her and her loved ones. When u get a chance SouthGirl, let us know how you are.

Got to get to work, hope everyone out there has a great day!

SoCal

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well hello again from parts far to the west

Well hello again from parts far to the west

By the time I get back to LA, I will have traveled farther than around the world (approx 30,000 miles) in a little more than two weeks. Had a wonderful ride over; slept well, showed up at home just before anyone was waking up. Played like a crazy person with the kids. My little girl was totally jazzed that Daddy was home. Her mother, my other "little girl" did the things she does like no other and made Daddy totally jazzed that Daddy was home. I am in a synergistic groove and don't want it to ever stop.

That fucker, Ivan thought better of it and decided not to take on Southern Girl head-on. Hoping for her usual stories of mystic revealation, and karmic changing life propositions and opportunity. She is a master at having what seems to be difficult turn into something better; and more often than not, the best. I have confidence she will be OK.

SoCal, congrats on changing your karma through steadfast determination! I am sure you will do well with the new gig. Way to go Bodhisattva! I expect to hear dem special kinda bells, ringing soon.

NattyGurrl, what up? Amsterdame! Did you flame? Out on your B-day; how was the movie? Anyone want to bitch me out that Pat ain't back? FYI, it's cause someone was sending him viruses.?!.?!

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
¢Ö¢í£B¡I¡@¢×¡@¢ë¢é¢ö¡¦¢ü¡@¢ï¢í¢ü¡@¢ú¢ñ¢ì¡@¢÷¢î¡@¢ü¢ð¢ñ¢û¡@¢û¢ü¢ý¢ø¢ñ¢ì¡@¢î¢÷¢ö¢ü¡D¡D¡D¢Ñ¢é¢ö¡@¢û¢÷¢õ¢í¢÷¢ö¢í¡@¢ð¢í¢ô¢ø¡@¢õ¢í¡H

¢â

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
a cryptic msg???

a cryptic msg???

hey PTD,

I know you are having a great time there with the family but I can't decipher ur last post!!!???
Thought u would like to know, Howard hd a great breakthru this week when he met a reporter in the OC and she is going to do a story on his company in the newspaper. Lot's of good exposure and truly actual proof of his chanting and efforts.

anyone else getting benefits from chanting? I just got an awesome job offer from a great company and its everything I am wanting from a position.

"Convert opportunity into success" (my current motto)

Take care everyone.

SoCal

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
nice Bazeado....

nice Bazeado....

Glad u like checking out this thread, Bazeado as i am sure others do also.

I love your words, 'celebrate difference'! So simple but many of the worlds sufferings could be solved with this. What if everyone was the same in this world? or what if all you eat everyday is say, spagetti.......I believe there are far more good ppl but somehow the bad ones are the ones that touch us most. This thread invites everyone with all thoughts and ideals to converse about life and its workings.

I just finished reading another letter from Nichiren, "The Three Kinds of Treasure" (WND, pg 848) would like to quote something that touched me greatly.

"It is rare to be born a human being. The number of those endowed with human life is as small as the amount of earth one can place on a fingernail. Life as a human being is hard to sustain-as hard as it is for the dew to remain on the grass. But it is better to live a single day with honor than to live to 120 and die in disgrace........

" .....more valuable than treasures in the storehouse are the treasures of the body, and the treasures of the heart are the most valuable of all. From the time you read this letter on, strive to accumulate the treasures of the heart"

Keep chanting.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A Salute to women...

A Salute to women...

Where would the world be without you girls? I just finished my morning prayers and realized the quotation from Nichiren Daishonin is still on the Butsudan. I have come home to the House of Those with Wombs. Ha! Thank God they are so capable. What in the fuck would I do if I had to suck up the responsibility of this baby train. Could I survive it; let alone actually delivering the level of care that these kids get?

They are poised to have their cake and eat it too, as fortune babies straddling the cultural and lingual divide. My daughter, as a matter of environmetal influence as well as elective stimulis is fluent in five languages. What an advantage in life. And to be able to go east or west, depending on which direction offers the greatest opportunity, as well as peace and security; they will have choices that are crucial to the lives they will live as adults.

All because of women. The women in their lives; and their mother, grandmothers, and great grandmothers. The genes they have that will serve them best are from the women in their bloodlines. My greatest responsibility is to make sure as best I can, that they understand and respect that with their lives, for their whole lives.

When world peace is achieved, it will be because of the women.

The gosho reminds us what a great philosophy Buddhism is, in that it understood, and gave acknowledgement of the equality of incarnate men and women as karmic temporary gatherings of the five components. As a legacy of it's highest teaching, the Lotus Stura, the fundamental equality of men and women was declared for the first time, that I am aware of, in the history of mankind.

And so the Gosho on the butsudan reads:

Daimoku of the Lotus Stutra

Women, whether they live in the time of the Buddha or in the Former, Middle or Latter Day of the Law cannot attain Buddhahood through any teaching but the Lotus Sutra. None of the other sutras expounded by any of the Buddhas anywhere can help them. The Great Teacher T'ien-t'ai, who heard the Buddha's teaching at Eagle Peak and later attained an awakening in the place of meditation, has stated unequivocally: "The other sutras predict buddhahood for men only and not for women. Only this sutra predicts Buddhahood for all."

"This letter was written in the first month, 1266, for a woman of advanced years. nothing is known about her other than she was a new believer in Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism and lived in Amatsu of Awa Province. this letter explains in plain terms the rewards of the simple practice of Nam Myoho Rege Kyo by saying that this phrase and its components contain all of the powers of the Buddha, and one who chants it can tap all of the benefits of Buddhism and thus revitalize one's life."

This has been sitting on the alter for six months now. My whole world has done a complete 180 in that time. My blessings are many.

Send Southern Girl your prayers. She went through hell to get back to Texas. Prognosis not good for where her stuff was on the gulf. Just stuff. She is alright and everything is going to be OK.

Gurrl! Watch that movie! Ha! I can't wait to hear your reaction!

Bazeado, dude! To have the compassion to express yourself to Natty, as the moment you would go from reader to post, is quite telling. Welcome fellow Bodhisattva! Feel free to speak up whenever there is something to say. I wish more people would post. I think I'll PM Babbabud and request another poem.

(I have come home to around six oz of wonderful bud. The wife keeps saying, "Why don't you go take a hit!" This world is so delightful!)

Thomas

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High Friends

High Friends

All things pass

A sunrise does not last all morning

All things pass

A cloudburst does not last all day

All things pass

Nor a sunset all night

But Earth.......sky........thunder....

..wind......fire......lake.....

..mountain.......water

These always change

And if these do not last

Do man's visions last ?

Do man's illusions ?

Take things as they come

All things pass

Taken from the
Tao Te Ching

your bud
babba

G

IVAN

IVAN

Hello Everyone!
Just a brief moment on someones computer. Will start out by asking all to pray for all my friends and roommate in Pensacola, Florida. The city is a almost a total loss. The hospital I worked at was hit not just by the hurricane but a tornado with everyone that I love in that state in it. I lived in Perdido Key. My ENTIRE neighborhood is gone. EXCEPT MY HOUSE! It is not liveable,but not one window is gone nor door and all my belongings are safe. Some say untill looters come but Gohonzon got me this far, I will get the rest of the way. The ceilings are full of water and dumped in one area of the house where there was no furniture. The front doors did blow open but everything sitting on the mantel place was still there. My house was on CNN, they enterviewed Kevin, my roommate who had finally gotten down there and he said The reason our house is there is because of my Roomate Mate. She is a Texan with a constitution of a bull and she is a member of SGI-a buddhist organization, which is has tremendous faith in and told all of us it would be ok. But I must tell you all that after me and the kids got in the evacuation that took 22 hours to drive. Kevin went back to the house in the storm and retrieved my butsudan. The breaks were bad in the motor home and really couldn't handle anymore weight. He said if there was a video camera it would be good for a meeting. He said "I talked to "GO" and said I know I'm not picking up stuff right but you have to pay attention to my heart condition. He picked up the water dish that fell into 3 pieces because he didn't know and was apologizing chasing it across the room. Most all cars at the hospital were damaged except the motorhome, his car and my sons car. There is noone here that could argue the power of NAMMYOHORENGEKYO with me. Myself, my kids and my roommate as well as my roommate were protected beyond. Ivan entered at Orange Beach which is 10 miles from my home. Perdido Key is in total devastation. I will be making my way back next week as soon as I can get a truck. I will occasionally acess when I can. Please send prayer to all those in Pensacola. They have been without water, power, food, gas for a week now. They are living below the basics of life. Living in what appears to be a war zone. Please Please help me pray for my friends. Love to you and appreciate LIFE!!!! Cindy

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can You imagine how broadly I am beaming?

Can You imagine how broadly I am beaming?

I just scared the hell out of everyone with my instantaneous clapping and crying out with tears flowing down my face. What a display of Buddha powers young lady! I am so grateful, yet so proud of you as well! And so proud of Kev! Wow! Wow! Wow!

Keep your shit tight! Don't relax! The pressure is beginning, not coming to an end. More Daimoku! You get an hour from me today, just for you! SoCal! Did you read what she wrote? Please call Pat and give him the news of this incredible Gohonzon blessing!

This is why we practice Buddhism, everyone. It is this kind of stuff that makes the hair on your arms stand on end, and for tears to form in your eyes, and joy to form in your heart. It is the feeling you get everytime your prayers are answered, no matter how impossible the situation. Over and over and over again.

If your (anyone else's) higher power performs to this level of consistency, then continue. If it doesn't; try chanting!

BABBABUD! THAT WAS THE BEST ONE YET! PLEASE LAY THOSE ON US TIME YOU GET THE CHANCE! THANK YOU!!!

Adame! Where are you? Was the movie as good as you hoped it would be?

Hello to all and PEACE on EARTH!

Thomas

GordyP

Attention: PassTheDoobie!!

Attention: PassTheDoobie!!

Attention PassTheDoobie!

So glad you turned me on to I.C.Mag!! Got myself registrered with the user name GordyP. Not sure if this is the "screen name" you mentioned in your reguar Email, but figured you'd read this and get me straightened out. Glad to hear you're doin' great and still chanting your ass off and passing on the magic. Learned a lot from catching up on the Chanting Growers Group news. Sounds like there's chanters from all walks of life out there, but bound tightly together by the power of the Buddah.
This probably isn't the right place to talk to you exclusively about the materials, techniques, and TLC that I'll need to get myself on the road to growing some of those bodacious buds shown in the galleries of I.C.mag. Send me a message to let me know the right thread, forum, whatever, to reach you and catch up on old times, as well as get some growing lessons. Looks like I'm about 30 years behind super seeds, soils, fertilizers, lighting, atmosphere, etc... Your eager pupil awaits!

p.s. To all you faithful members writing in to this thread, you all seem like a rightious and loving group of guys and "gurls"!! Keep loving each other and listen close to the messages from PTD. He's been through some amazing experiences and really knows his shit. His devotion to his practice has brought a lot of good things to his life that I sure as Hell can't explain any other way.
I'm wishing you all things good.
GordyP in Indiana.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And my OLDEST friend joins the frey....

And my OLDEST friend joins the frey....

Ha! Hey dude! What took you so long? Well I can tell you to just read everything you see posted by I.M. Boggled, and you'll learn how to be a rocket scientist. Oh! I forgot! You are!

GordyP? My daughter is screaming for me. Gotta go!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Lesson of Seed

The Lesson of Seed

The soft overcomes the hard

The small overcomes the large

The gentle survives the strong

The invisible survives the visible

Fish should be left in deep water

Fire and iron should be left under ground

Seed should be left free

To grow in the rhythm of life

taken from the Tao Te Ching

your bud
babba

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
SouthGirl...Im blown away

SouthGirl...Im blown away

WOW! could actual proof not show more in someone's life as it has for you, SouthGirl. I am just blown away and so incredibly happy for you. I know you have experienced 'HELL' from Ivan but you have trully shown how Buddhahood manifests at a crucial moment. I am more encouraged and determined to help you thru this with more chanting as your life is so busy you can't possibly find the time. Count on me SouthGirl and blow me away again.

Lessening One's Karmic Retribution:

The principle that, through one's faith and practice of the True Law, he can experience the effects of bad karma from the past to a lesser degree. In general, Buddhism attributes one's present sufferings to his past karma, asserting that one must suffer retribution for every negative cause he has made in the past. In contrast, the Hatsunaion Sutra states, "It is due to the blessings obtained by protecting the Law that one can diminish in this lifetime his suffering and retribution." As this passage shows, due to the fortune accumulated through faith and practice, one can experience to a lesser degree the effects of his bad karma from the past which would otherwise cause him great suffering, or one can diminish in a shorter period his negative karmic retribution which would otherwise torment him over a longer period of time, perhaps several lifetimes. Nichiren Daishonin states in his "Tenju Kyoju Honmon" (Lessening One's Karmic Retribution), "If one's heavy karma from the past is not expiated within this lifetime, he must undergo the sufferings of hell in the future, but if he experiences extreme hardship in this life, the sufferings of hell will vanish instantly. When he dies, he will obtain the blessings of Rapture and Tranquility, as well as those of the three vehicles and the supreme vehicle."
(Source: Dictionary of Buddhist Terms and Concepts )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts