What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The concept of 'not begrudging one's life' appears in the 'Encouraging Devotion' (13th) chapter of the Lotus Sutra, when the bodhisattvas make a vow to selflessly spread the Mystic Law after the Buddha's passing (cf. LS13, 191). In 'The Selection of the Time,' the Daishonin elucidates the path of shared commitment of mentor and disciple, the path of refuting the erroneous and revealing the true, the path of attaining enlightenment in this lifetime--at the heart of which lies the path of 'not begrudging one's life.' If we give our all unstintingly to our Buddhist practice, proof of victory will be forthcoming--this is the unshakable conviction with which the Daishonin urges his disciples to 'try practising' (WND-1, 583)."

SGI Newsletter No. 7787, THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN AND THE MENTOR-DISCIPLE RELATIONSHIP, [7] The Meaning of "Practicing without Begrudging One's Life" Today, from the Feb. 19th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated June 3rd, 2009

Hitman

Sometimes when we're malcontents, we begrudge ourselves

Sometimes when we're malcontents, we begrudge ourselves

For what we don't have instead of looking at what we do have and can ultimately achieve if we believe- I promise I will not begrudge my life:xmastree: nowhere have I seen such a nice tree for next x-mas!:santa1::peppermintstick::gift::snowkiss::elf: I missed all of this.

I'm going to look at all the blessing I have worked for and achieved - oh well for now with what I don't have.

It will give me something to chant towards-
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nichiren is like the plant, and my teacher, the earth."

(Flowering and Bearing Grain - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 909) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's new essay series, Seikyo Shimbun, Jan. 1st, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A mind now clouded by the illusions of the innate darkness of life is like a tarnished mirror, but when polished, it is sure to become like a clear mirror, reflecting the essential nature of phenomena and the true aspect of reality. Arouse deep faith, and diligently polish your mirror day and night. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 4) Selection source: Soka Gakkai member's experience, Seikyo Shimbun, June, 2009 14th

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"No one should lightly choose death. The true brilliance of being human shines when we strive to live out our lives with all the vigour we can summon, no matter what adversity we face."

SGI Newsletter No. 7801, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 22: Chap. 3, High Seas 23,
translated June 22nd, 2009

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
Good morning brothas! It has been a whirlwind of a week. I have kept myself preoccupied mostly. I had my cousin over and he irritates the hell out of me but the mild irritation was just what I needed to keep my mind off of the tragedy. We have been joking about it this morning. It is freezing cold here but still a very pretty day. I am still working my way through the thread one page at a time and really feel like I am stuck to a breat book that I cannot put down. I hope to get my puter fixed soon so I can type a little more.

PTD... i am still here and check in daily. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. You have really opened up a new world for me.

Payaso... Thanks for keeping in touch bro. I smile when I see a waiting pm from you.

I know I will get to know everybody soon enough. Until then...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

great start to the year! I have a very strong feeling that... This will be the best year yet!

My friends big babba and sweet sister babba with the benefit of fallenbuddha and me lady had a grande ole time ringing in the year of awesomeness. We ended the year together in unity. That was important because we support our (each other's) practice consistently that puts into practice what us chanting growers do. I'm so grateful for the introduction to Buddhism the kindest brother I could ever have shared with me when it mattered most.

Many people continue to do shakubuku through the lineage of great Buddhas from this gathering. :dance013: That hits home!

All of the amazing things I felt and remembered in 2009 will bring me closer to appreciating Gohonzon more and learning to chant more often during 2010. Chanting with appreciation I'll make that happen again. Every year for the rest of my life I want to chant more than the last. I'm totally grateful for this thread's development and unlimited support!

Happy New Year (again)! WOOOOOOOT!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is the heart that is important. No matter how earnestly Nichiren prays for you, if you lack faith, it will be like trying to set fire to wet tinder. Spur yourself to muster the power of faith."

(The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1000) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, Jan. 4th, 2010

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A sword is useless in the hands of a coward. The mighty sword of the Lotus Sutra must be wielded by one courageous in faith. Then one will be as strong as a demon armed with an iron staff."

(Reply to Kyo'o - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 412) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 12th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And yet, though one might point at the earth and miss it, though one might bind up the sky, though the tides might cease to ebb and flow and the sun rise in the west, it could never come about that the prayers of the Lotus Sutra would go unanswered."

(On Prayer - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 345) Selection source: Living Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, June 15th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"First of all, as to the question of where exactly hell and the Buddha exist, one sutra states that hell exists underground, and another sutra says that the Buddha is in the west. Closer examination, however, reveals that both exist in our five-foot body. This must be true because hell is in the heart of a person who inwardly despises his father and disregards his mother. It is like the lotus seed, which contains both blossom and fruit. In the same way, the Buddha dwells within our hearts."

New Year's Gosho
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1137)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Arouse deep faith, and diligently polish your mirror day and night. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 4) Selection source: Preparation for Buddhist Study Exams, Seikyo Shimbun, Jan. 5th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Ultimately, worldwide kosen-rufu begins with encouraging the person right in front of us. This is because the fundamental spirit of the Lotus Sutra is to enable each person to awaken to the supreme nobility of their own life, and allow them to freely tap the wisdom and power of their innate Buddhahood."

SGI Newsletter No. 7905, New Year’s Message, Creating a Century of Life, a Century of Peace, translated Jan. 4th, 2010

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
We buried Spaceman yesterday. It was definitely a major learning experience. I felt honored to be such a major part of the services.

Again I chanted in the shower beforehand. I think it gave me the extra strength to complete my duties as pallbearer. Now I am studying more. Doing my research because I have found something that helps me cope.

I shall chant Nam myoho renge kyo for all of you and for family.

I have been chanting instead of playing the radio in the car.

I feel good. Even with the tragedy. I feel good

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
You are already a lay practitioner and therefore one of the "good men" described
in the sutra. One who listens to even a sentence or phrase of the sutra and
cherishes it deep in one's heart may be likened to a ship that crosses the sea
of the sufferings of birth and death. The Great Teacher Miao-lo stated, "Even a
single phrase cherished deep in one's heart will without fail help one reach the
opposite shore. To ponder one phrase and practice it is to exercise navigation."

(WND, 33)
A Ship to Cross the Sea of Suffering
Written to Shiiji Shiro on April 28, 1261

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Life is a series of changes, a succession of ups and downs. But those who
possess a prime point, a home to which they can return no matter what happens,
are strong. To come home to the world of friendship in the SGI, to talk things
over and prepare for a fresh departure -- this is the way I hope all of you will
live. When you do, you will advance upon a fundamentally unerring path to
happiness.

Daisaku Ikeda

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
chanting

chanting

We buried Spaceman yesterday. It was definitely a major learning experience. I felt honored to be such a major part of the services.

Again I chanted in the shower beforehand. I think it gave me the extra strength to complete my duties as pallbearer. Now I am studying more. Doing my research because I have found something that helps me cope.

I shall chant Nam myoho renge kyo for all of you and for family.

I have been chanting instead of playing the radio in the car.

I feel good. Even with the tragedy. I feel good

Very very cool you are chanting :) Many of us start in the shower or when we are driving ..... woooooooop !!! So happy for you !!
Nam myoho renge kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts