What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson!

Happy New Year!! :smokeit:

New Year's Gosho
I have received a hundred mushimochi cakes and a basket of fruit. New Year's Day marks the first day, the first month, the beginning of the year and the start of spring. A person who celebrates this day will gain virtue and be loved by all, just as the moon becomes full gradually, moving from west to east, and the sun shines more brightly traveling from east to west.

First of all, as to the question of where exactly hell and the Buddha exist, one sutra states that hell exists underground and another sutra says that the Buddha is in the west. However, closer examination reveals that both exist in our five-foot body. The reason I think so is that hell is in the heart of a man who inwardly despises his father and disregards his mother, just like the lotus seed, which contains both flower and fruit at the same time. In the same way, the Buddha dwells inside our hearts. For example, flint can produce fire and gems possess value in themselves. We common mortals can see neither our own eyebrows, which are so close, nor heaven in the distance. Likewise, we do not see that the Buddha exists in our own hearts. You may question how is it that the Buddha can reside within us when our bodies, originating from our parents' sperm and blood, are the source of the three poisons and the seat of the carnal desires. But repeated consideration shows the validity of my claim. The pure lotus flower blooms out of the muddy pond, the fragrant sandalwood grows from the soil, the graceful cherry blossoms come forth from trees, the beautiful Yang Kuei-fei was born of a maidservant, and the moon rises from behind the mountains to shed light on them. Misfortune comes from one's mouth and ruins him, but fortune comes from one's mind and makes him worthy of respect.

The sincerity of making offerings to the Lotus Sutra at the beginning of the New Year is like flowers blooming from trees, a lotus unfolding in a pond, sandalwood blossoming on the Snow mountains, or the moon beginning to rise. Japan, in becoming an enemy of the Lotus Sutra has now invited misfortune from a thousand miles afar, whereas those who believe in the Lotus Sutra will gather fortune from ten thousand miles afar. The shadow is cast by the body, and just as the shadow follows the body, misfortune will befall the country whose people are hostile to the Lotus Sutra. The believers in the Lotus Sutra, on the other hand are like the sandalwood endowed with fragrance. I will write you again.

Nichiren

The fifth day of the first month.

Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 271.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy New Year from all of us already in 2010 to all of you who will be!

I have a feeling its going to be a good one!

Much love and deepest respect!

Thomas

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Happy New Year 2010 to all Chanting Grower Buddhas and families.

Belated happy b-day T! Appreciate all you do.

So great to see so many checking in and keeping this Mugi Wasshin thread alive and well. It's always a great encouragement to me to read everything that is posted and looking forward to many more new chanting Growers chiming in the new year 2010.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, like the roar of a lion.

!!!!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Happy New Year, all my friends! I am very much looking forward to the upcoming year.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SD, where are you? Hang tough my Brother! Keep working at it! Miss Ya Flo!

Lapides, make the personal vow that you will grow from all of this and that no matter what you are determined to show actual proof. Pray with the desire to do the Buddha's work by expressing with your life what the potential is for everyone else. The only reason you have had this problem was so you would finally focus on what you are here to do. Do it!

Caille I am so happy to have you become a part of the thread! Thanks for the New Year wishes and please stay and share with us often.

SoCal thanks for the BDay wishes (Sorry to have been late on yours as well! Ha!) I'm glad that you are OK and never doubt how much you are missed when we don't see your posts! This thread would not exist without you! THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART MY BROTHER!!!

DG! You make me so happy! WOW!!! YOU GO GIRL! I sense the LIONESS is kicking ass and taking names. Continue!

Trichy! I'm blowing big kisses at you Sister! Ha! once again, YOU MADE MY DAY! Thank you!

Bud and Easy, I hope you two are safe and remembered to bring in the New Year with Daimoku. (Oh, I forgot you still have a couple of hours to go!) Please chant for a great 2010 everyone!

Wilson, please post any Gosho anytime! You are invited to freely share whatever you think appropriate whenever you think it appropriate. THANKS FOR POSTING THIS YEARS NEW YEARS GOSHO! Don't let it be your last!

Chris! What can I say but that I wish I was there to give you a big hug! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such a Brother to me! You have no idea how many times you just being you has touched my heart so warmly and deeply. Never doubt what a good person you are! We all have all ten worlds inside of us! Your Buddha Nature shines brightly!

Forest, I hope you attain all of your personal goals this year. Tackling weight is something that determination is a huge part of victory in. WE ARE ALL SUPPORTING YOU ALL THE WAY! Stay on course and never give up! You are in my Daimoku!

Hitman! It's so great to have you back. You are definitely getting older and wiser. Your posts encourage me very much! Thank you for all the heart you put into whatever you say. Unseen virtue brings visible reward. Expect to do what you have to do, but know this year, if you do that, the effect of that cause will be extremely apparent. I predict a big year for you! I can hear it in what you write. NOW CHANT MY BROTHER AND GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!!!

Scegy is never last nor least. Scegy is the posterman for this thread. Brother your growth over these last couple of years has been nothing short of inspiring! I mean that very much. Thanks to you I opened more to many things! How fortunate I am to have you as my Brother! Never allow the Devil of the Sixth Heaven to fuck with your faith young Brother! Your future is bright with promise of your own making! I am so proud of you and Easy!!!

Sleepy, stay with us! We love you and you should post more often! You too BOG and MrsB! We never forget our Brothers Desi and Bonzo and pray for their safety and happiness. There are many many others that I have not mentioned, but every single PERSON that has ever READ this thread is connected. I pray continuously for all of you. (Velma, Jolene, Mrs.G's mom and SG's dad were all in my prayers today, as they are everyday!) The gratitude that I have for the life changing (completing) experience of us continuing to gather here is beyond measure!

FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Trials and tribulations are an inescapable part of life. What matters is how we deal with the challenges we encounter. It is our struggles to overcome them that become our greatest treasures in life and make us shine as people."

SGI Newsletter No. 7904, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 1, The Future 12, translated Dec. 28th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"All disciples and lay supporters of Nichiren should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the spirit of many in body but one in mind, transcending all differences among themselves to become as inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim."

(The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 217) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's Essay - "The Light of the Century of Humanity" #213, Seikyo Shimbun, Dec. 29th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"We uphold the Gohonzon and are working to spread the supreme teaching of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism for the sake of peace and human happiness. Nothing intimidates us. Our encounters with people lead to changing the world. They open a path to protecting the people. Let's continue to boldly and confidently share with others our philosophy of hope--our philosophy of human revolution."

SGI Newsletter No. 7899, NATIONWIDE REPRESENTATIVE CONFERENCE, Dialogues Change the World, from the Sep. 30th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Dec. 24th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In light of this, it is clear that those who now believe in the Lotus Sutra will gather fortune from ten thousand miles away."

(New Year's Gosho - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1137) Selection source: Discussion: "Towards a meaningful new year", Page 4, Seikyo Shimbun, Dec. 28th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This is indeed wondrous. This is precisely what is meant by the statement that unseen virtue brings about visible reward."

(The Farther the Source, the Longer the Stream - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 940) Selection source: Editorial, Seikyo Shimbun, December 28th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"As the Brazilian poet Francisco Otaviano (1825-89) once noted: 'A man who spends his life without exertion. This is not a true man. It's the hollow image of a man. He has passed through life, but he hasn't lived it.'...

"Having a dream provides a sense of hope."

SGI Newsletter No. 7904, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 1, The Future 12, translated Dec. 28th, 2009

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
The following was the theme of my day (or the last 24 hours) as we foisted off yet another attack by the evil forces that be on this planet...successfully diverted thru much chanting.

"Trials and tribulations are an inescapable part of life. What matters is how we deal with the challenges we encounter. It is our struggles to overcome them that become our greatest treasures in life and make us shine as people."

Thank you Thomas for posting these words of wisdom for me, and everyone else!

I would like to thank you for your friendship this last year (and forever) and all your teachings, insights and free offers of kindness...truly inspiring and much appreciated!

As I put this last seemingly arbitrary timeframe behind me called 2009 I am also puting the 'Naughties and all the bad vibes, trials (corporal, judicial and psychic), tribulations, heartache, broken promises, wars, poverty and more aside ~ and concentrate on building a beautiful future for all.

:pie:

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy New Years to you All !!
Was forturnate enough to get to spend some time with Easy and his Wife for New Years !!
Had a great timel. Were also lucky enough to see the best Further show of the year !! Hope you all had a great time and Welcome to 2010 !!!
Nam myoho renge kyo !!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"No matter how sincerely one believes in the Lotus Sutra, if one is guilty of failing to rebuke slander of the Law, one will surely fall into hell, just as a single crab leg will ruin a thousand pots of lacquer. This is the meaning of the passage in the sutra, 'Because the poison has penetrated deeply and their minds no longer function as before.'"

(The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 747) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, January 1st, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
*"Strengthen your faith day by day and month after month. Should you slacken in your resolve even a bit, devils will take advantage." - "On Persecutions Befalling the Sage", WND-I, page 997

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The host, smiling, restrained his guest and said: Insects that live on smartweed forget how bitter it tastes; those who stay long in privies forget how foul the smell is. Here you listen to my good words and think them wicked, point to a slanderer of the Law and call him a sage, mistrust a correct teacher and take him for an evil priest. Your confusion is great indeed, and your offence anything but light. Listen to my explanation of how this confusion arose, and let us discuss the matter in detail."

(On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 16) Selection source: Learning from "On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land", Seikyo Shimbun, June 5th, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.