What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Bodhisattva Perceiver of the Worlds Sounds

Bodhisattva Perceiver of the Worlds Sounds

His pure Light , free of blemish,
is a sun of wisdom dispelling all darkness.
He can quell the wind and fire of misfortune
and everywhere bring light to the world.
The precepts from his compassionate body shake us like thunder,
the wonder of his pitying mind is like a great cloud.
He sends down the sweet dew, The Dharma rain,
to quench the flames of earthly desires.
When law suits bring you before the officials,
when terrified in the midst of an army,
think on the power of that Perceiver of Sounds
and hatred in all forms will be dispelled.

Lotus Sutra. Bodhisattva Perceiver of the Worlds Sounds Chapter.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Human Revolution

Human Revolution

Some quotes I refer to when I need to make progress immediately; like right NOW!

from Daisaku Ikeda's Daily Guidance

"It is in times of adversity that one's spirit must blaze. It is in times of adversity that one must fight with courage. This is the way of the lion. Even if they are many in number, cowardly people who are quick to start complaining cannot do anything. When one is faced with the most difficult of circumstances, one can make the cause to realise the greatest victory"

"The only way to succeed is by 1st bringing to completion that which is most immediate. This principle applies in all affairs - in our daily lifes, our work and our families as well in the progress in kosenrufu. (world peace)"

"It doesn't matter in what area, just keep working on your personal revolution to transform and improve yourself in the way most natural for you. The important thing is that you change in some positive way. There is surely no more exhilerating a life than one in which we write our own unique history of human revolution each day. And the growth and transformation we achieve in this way can convince people of the greatness of the Daishonin's Buddhism more eloquently than anything else."

Quote by John Bradshaw:

"Today I belong to myself, and I'm willing to accept full responsibilityfor my life and my creations. What I do is me - for that I did come."

Quote by Leon Bloy:

" There are places in the heart that do not yet exist; pain must be in order for them to be."

Buddhism = Daily Life. I hope these quotes about life and facing challenges and obstacles help others as they have helped me.

G

Adversity

Adversity

Thanks so Much SoCal Hippy,

I needed to hear what you wrote today. At least I feel validated that what I'm doing is what I need to be doing and I'm in the greatest of adversity in every area of my life. I hope that people who are monitoring this thread truly understands that when you are seeking, it will be provided. There is alot going on in this thread, we are have definitely been pulled here for each other, and of those who do not practice and our monitoring this thread, needs to pay more attention because THERE IS A REASON they are here. Daily Life can be so hard and up-side-down sometimes and to have more of an understanding as to what it is we need to be doing and having the power of NamMyohoRengeKyo with you, I'm sure there is nothing that can not be overcome. However, the strongest and the best practicers continue to have obstacles that get bigger but the benefits are greater as you surmount them. What I have learned after 14 years, over and over again, is that even in adversity, when you are the lowest, but your heart is still where it needs to be even when you don't fill it, the Boddisavattas of the Earth manifest, whether it be one or many, to say the things you need to hear to hold you up through it all. There are not enough heartfelt tears to express my appreciation to all of you, whoever you are. Cindy

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
You are so very welcome Southern Girl

You are so very welcome Southern Girl

Thanks Southern Girl and everyone else here on this thread. I too feel great that we have this opportunity to encourage one another and share this great practice with others.

from "E M B R AC I N G T H E L OT U S S U T R A" gosho written by Nichiren Daishonin:

Since the remotest past up until now, you have merely suffered in vain the pains of countless existences. Why do you not, if only this once, try plant-ing the wonderful seeds that lead to eternal and unchanging Buddhahood? Though at present you may taste only a tiny fraction of the everlasting joys that await you in the future, surely you should not spend your time thought-lessly coveting worldly fame and prof-it, which are as fleeting as a bolt of lightning or the morning dew. As the Thus Come One teaches, "There is no safety in the threefold world; it is like a burning house." And in the words of a bodhisattva, "All things are like a phantom, like a magically conjured image."

G

SoCalHippy: It is encouraging to see others encouraged by President Ikeda's guidance. It seems whenever I am at any point in my life, sensei's; President Ikeda's; guidance always hits directly at the prime point of my life at that moment.

Southern Girl: You are correct in stating nothing in life is random. Everything in life is being played out in front of us for a very strict reason. The Law of Cause and Effect is strict, just as the laws of physics are strict, as well.

Thanks for sharing and caring!

"Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, Like the Roar of the Lion!"

My favorite Gosho passage, "Letter to Gijo-bo"

"The verse secion of the chapter states...' singler-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha, not hesistating even if it costs them their lives' As a result of this passage, I have revealed the Buddhahood in my own life. The reason is that it is this sutra pasage that has enabled me to embody the Three Great Secret Laws, or the reality of three thousand realms in a single moment of life that is found in the 'Life Span' chapter. But keep this secret! Keep it secret!" WND p.389

VegasBuddha

G

On Prayer

On Prayer

I am curently reading the Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra series, a dialogue with President Ikeda and the SGI Study Department. In volume six the following excerpt seemed appropriate to a dialogue PTD and I were having last weekend regaridng our attitude during daimoku.

President Ikeda: To embrace teh Gohonzon is to embrace the entire universe. It is to tap the source of the power of the universe. One who does so is worthy of the utmost respect.

President Ikeda goes on to say, "There is nothing wrong with having an active mind while chanting. This is a natural human tendency. The important thing is to face the Gohonzon just as we are, without affectation.

Having extraneous thoughts is an inherent part of our lives, in that we are entities of the principle of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. Therefore, through daimoku we can turn even those thoughts into benefit.

There are no rules governing how we should pray. There's no need to be something we aren't. Even if we were to try to control our thoughts by making our prayer rigid and forced, our minds would still tend to wander. As we deepen our faith, we also strengthen our ability to concentrate.

Actually, since the thoughts or ideas that come to mind as we chant represent issues that concern us at that moment, we should not consider them extraneous. Instead, we should pray earnestly about each one, whatever it may be. Rather than chant only about large issues, we should pray specifically about every issue we face, winning over each and strenghtening our foundation as we go.

There is of course no need to be tense or nervous when praying. What matters is that we are completely ourselves."

President Ikeda goes on to say, "There's no limit to how many things we can pray about. It just means that the more desires we have, the more sincere and abundant our prayer will be."

President Ikeda further goes on to say, "Who answers our prayers? We do - through faith and effort. No one does it for us."

President Ikeda finally says, " We are practicing a faith in which no prayer goes unanswered. We must first and foremost be confinced of this. There will be times when our prayers seem to be answered, and times when they do not. As long as we continue to pray, in the end everythying will go in the best possible direction. This will be clear when we look back later." Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, V6, pg.108-110.

Thank-you for your time with this long post regarding our prayer and our attitude, from President Ikeda's viewpoint, and mine. smile

VegasBuddha

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ha! VB! When you said "my favorite Gosho"......

Ha! VB! When you said "my favorite Gosho"......

I grabbed my WND, and then finding mine, continued to read your post. Then your next post has a header of On Prayer, and I thought you had beat me to it! But we are just that much in rythem, Big Brother! Ya'll hang in there. This is my favorite. It is the basis of my practice and I cry everytime I read it (as I'm beginning to now). It has been my treasure for thirty years. It is a direct link to the Heart of the Lion!

Excerpt from the Gosho 'On Prayer' (WND pgs 345-346)

One may ask why the results of these vows should be so long in appearing. And yet, though one might point at the earth and miss it, though one might bind up the sky, though the tides might cease to ebb and flow, and the sun rise in the west, it could never come about that the prayers of the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra would go unanswered. If the bodhisattvas, the human and and heavenly beings, the eight kinds of nonhuman beings, the two sages, the two heavenly deities and the ten demon daughters would by some unlikely chance fail to appear and protect the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra, then above them they would be showing their disdain for Shakyamuni and the other Buddhas, and below they would be guilty of deceiving the beings of the nine realms.

It makes no difference if the practitioner himself is lacking in worth, defective in wisdom, impure in his person, and lacking in virtue derived from observing the precepts. So long as he chants Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, they will invariably protect him. One does not throw away gold because the bag that holds it is dirty; one does not ignore the sandalwood trees because of the foul odor of the eranda trees around them; one does not refuse to gather lotuses because the pond in the valley where they grow is not clean. If they ignore the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra, they will be going against their vow.

Now that the Former and Middle Days of the Law are over, persons who observe the precepts are as rare as tigers in the marketplace, and persons of wisdom are harder to find than the horns of a ch'i-lin. While waiting for the moon to rise, one must rely upon a lantern, and when there are no true gems at hand, gold and silver must serve as jewels. The debt of gratitude one owes to a white crow may be repaid to a black crow, and the debt one owes to a sage priest, may be repaid to an ordinary priest. So, if you earnestly pray that blessings be given to you without delay, how can your prayers fail to be answered?

Nichiren Daishonin (1272)

In 31 years, that promise has never failed to be kept.

T

G

It is just like what sensei days, "When we embrace Myoho Renge Kyo, we embrace all life." That is we embrace the rhythm of life itself, Myoho Renge kyo.

VB

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is what I originally came to post

This is what I originally came to post

From WND (pgs 964-965)

Excerpt from "Persecution by Sword and Stave"

The "Emerging from the Earth" chapter also explains something about me, because it states that Bodhisattva Superior Practices and his followers will appear in the Latter Day of the Law to propagate the five characters of Nam-myohorenge-kyo. I, Nichiren have appeared earlier than anyone else. How reassuring to think that I will be praised by bodhisattvas equal in number to the sands of the Ganges Rivers! Be that as it may, commit yourself to the Lotus Sutra and have faith in its teachings. You must not only believe in them yourself, but also encourage others to do the same, so that you may save those who were parents in your past existences.

From the time that I was born until today, I have never known a moments ease; I have thought only of propagating the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra. I do not know how long I or anyone may live, but without fail, I will be with you at the time of your death and guide you from this life to the next. All the Buddhas of the past, present, and future attain enlightenment during the hours of the ox and tiger. In all three countries of India, China, and Japan, the place of Buddhist prayer is located in the northeast, in the direction of the demon gate. These are profound teachings of Buddhism, which are reverently transferred from teacher to disciple. I will expalin in more detail later.

With my deep respect,

As you crave food when hungry, seek water when thirsty, long to see a lover, beg for medicine when ill, or as a beautiful woman desires powder and rouge, so should you put your faith in the Lotus Sutra. If you do not, you will regret it later.

Nichiren (1279)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Help answer this question

Help answer this question

I have a friend who has asked the following question as they try to determine whether Buddhism is for them. I would expect anyone commenting to be very respectful with what they say. The question was posed as follows (un-edited cut and paste):

"religion misses the point completely and has put Jesus back on the cross.

it is sad, the "christians" who are clueless as to the real mission of Jesus.

So what does pure Christianity have in common wih the teachings of Buddha?"

Let's face it, people can always twist the mix, even in Buddhism. I know that "pure Christianity" is a subjective interpretation, but I think they are saying "What did Christ and Buddha say that were similar?" I assume we can make the point again, that Buddha, while generally referring to Shakyamuni in India, also refers to the many individuals whose enlightment illuminated the Lotus Sutra, after his death. Before I answer the only way I can think how, are there any of you reading this that want to chime in? WHAT WE DON"T WANT IS ANYONE SLANDERING! UNIVERSAL RESPECT IS WHAT ALL THAT COME HERE EXPECT. So be cool....

Thomas

G

PTD,
Myoho again! I was juist reading the chapter called, "A Religion that cannot repky to people's prayer's is useless.

This chapter of 'The Wisdom of the lotus Sutra,' discusses and contrasts religious ideas and ideals, as perceived by most people, as; inferior, preach only inner fullfillment, or those that promise mysterious benefit in this life without any real effort.

Following is a dialogue amonmg senior SGI study department staff and President Ikeda.

ENdo; One is abstract, the other prepoterous.

Suda: Ithink we could say one lacks compasion, and the other lacks wisdom.

Ikeda: True Religion is found in neither way of thought. True Religion does not depart from reality; it reveals the fundamental law based on which people can improve their lives in reality. The first Soka Gakkai president, Tsunesuburo Makiguchi termed this value creation. In refuting a view on religion articulatied by an eminent scientist of the day, Mr. makiguchi declared that a religion that does not produce value in response to prayer is useless.

This scholar had argued that while people sense the divine in wonderous laws of nature, things that cnnot be understood through natural sciences ought to be left unknown. ANd he asserted that it therefore defies good reason to pray to the gods for personal gain.

President Ikead goes on to say, "By contrast, President makiguchi asserted that a religion not concerned with creating value in human life is useless. To ignore the reality of life is to ignore the human being.

Wonderous phenomena are not limited to the realm of nature. Mr. makiguchi believed that human life itself and day-to-day occurences are also wonderous and ought to seek the wonderous power of life forcethat enable speople to create valueand realize vixtory. He state that the natural sciences alone cannot lead people to happiness, and that what is needed is a science of value. His insight penetrates the basic flaw of modern civilization."

I believe in what snesei Makiguchi has expounded, and sensei Ikeda has embraced through their efforts as Boddhisattva's of the Earth in developing a value creation society fot the 21st Century.

"It is the Buddha's voice that does the work."

VegasBuddha

ezozo

mmmm I like this thread :p

I like to share with you my mantra that I see every morning neer my bed

A Precious Human Life

"Every day, Think as you wake up,
Today I am Fortunate to have woken up,
I am alive, I have a preclcious Human Life,
I am not going to waste it,
I am going to use
all my energies to develop myself.
To expand my heart out to others,
To achieve Enlightenment for
The benefit of all beings.
I am going to have kind
Thoughts towards others.
I am not going to get angry,
Or think badly about others
As much as I can

H.H the 14th Daial Lama

zozo

G

Christianity vs. Nichiren's Buddhism

Christianity vs. Nichiren's Buddhism

I should start out with letting others know, I have practiced Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism since I was 11 years old. Prior to that time I held dialogue with priest, preachers, ministers, rabaii, and other religious leaders, regarding the truth of life. My initial questions were never answered and ijn time they were answered by Nichiren Daishonin's Gosho or honoriffic letters, or The SGI study department.

I have always believed that Christianity could be easily compared to the Pure Land Sect of Budddhism. The Pure Land Sect believes that all you do now and here will serve you in the after life, but not in thsi life. But only when you go to the Pure Land after death. Very similar to Christian beliefs.

This approach, I believe allows individuals to be irresponsible regarding thier actions towards themselves, others, and the environment, regarding sin or slander, they can all be 'forgiven' before our life is over and we may enter the Pure land after all is said and done.

In fact Nichiren dfaishoninspoke about the Piure Land sect in some Gosho's, and they could be rwad for comparison and contrast of issues and attitudes.

Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism teaches just the opposite of teh OPure land Sect and Christianity. The individual is always responsible for everythng in the environment, no matter what. This concept is called karma. Karma requires the individual to 'awaken' to this concept in order to better activate it's effects on the individual and the environment.

However, unlike Christianity, if the individual does not 'awaken' or become aware of karmic responsibility, it does not in any way remove the individuals responsibiloity towards their karma or their environment.

Christianity on the other hand, allows the individual to continue through life totally irresponsible for their actions, until they desire to 'accept' the teachings of Christ, and than and only than is the individual considered acountable for their actions, from that point forward, while required to have penance; seeking forgiveness; for their past acts.

But even after this point in Christianity, the individual is allowed to backslide in faith and still be allowed to accpet again over and over until the final moment of life, very similar to the concept of ichinen sanzen. However, awakening to the reality of life, does not allow one to backslide without repurcussions. Cause and Effect is strict, whether we observe the law of cause and effect or not. Backsliding allows one to appreciate cause and effect more in their lives.

In summary, I believe, Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism teaches the responsibility of the individual for themself and their environment, while Christianity allows a more liberal perception regarding the individuals responsibility for their own actions and their environment.

VegasBuddha

G

zozo,
Eccellent Poem! A great one to live by. Ttruly the Buddha words in action.

VegasBuddha

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
zozo! Don't be a stranger!

zozo! Don't be a stranger!

Don't you just love the Mahayana way of thinking? Tibetan Buddhism is also based on the bodisattva ideal, as all Mahayana thinking is. My favorite line is the reality of life expressed in the last line......"As much as I can"

The universe knows we are just common mortals! We are not expected to be perfect, but just seeking perfection, for the sake of making all others equal and likewise inspired toward this endeavor. That's all that is required. The effort. The desire. Enlightenment is not rooted in perfection, it is rooted in the efforts, no matter how often in vain, to achieve it!

That is where our compassion is developed and validated. Shoulder to shoulder with our brothers and sisters in a struggle for lasting and complete happiness. To make a better world for ourselves and our children and our childrens children; all the children, everywhere.

But Big Brother, it seems you are having the same problem as me. The question remains one of, what do Buddhism and Christianity (in the context of the previous descriptive, "pure"), have in common?

The underlying pricipals are similar, but the basis of the point of view is most often completely different. Shakyamuni and the Lotus Sutra do pre-date Christ by between four to five hundred years I believe. King Ashoka had sent his Buddhist missionaries as far West (from India) as Greece at the time of Christ. Jesus did disappear for about 21 years at that time.

Could Buddhist thought have had any effect on the new way of thinking that he brought back to his fellow Jews? Would someone with a Judaic history have been able to completley grasp the concepts of the Lotus Sutra? Let's also remember there was no Buddhism before Shakyamuni. At only four or five hundred years of age, Buddhism was also a "New" way of thinking.

Any more thoughts?

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Eddie!

Hey Eddie!

I am going to take that post as you knowing what the hell we're talking about here. Welcome and don't be a stranger!

T

G

There is anjew series in Living Buddhism that speaks about Christianity and Buddhism. Shin Yatoma is the writter for this series. I would have to defer to his discussin. My wife says it is quite good. My wife ised to be a Catholic for her entire life. Now she is a Nichiren Buddhist.

VegasBuddha

G

Actual proof - Experience

Actual proof - Experience

As President Ikeda says, "Any religion that does not provide actual proof or an answer to your prayers is not a true religion. "

The same is true in Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism

In Nichiren Daishonin's Budhism we call actual proof an experience of faith. I would like to share one of my experiences with all of you today, in hopes of encouraging on eperson to overcome thier own problems.

I perhaps should share a benefit of of faith based on my practice.

A few years ago, I was involved in a near life-ending motorcycle accident. I survived the accident, only to be faced with financial ruin. I am self-employed as an Engineer. The insurane was just enough to cover medfical and legal fees. Nothing left for me.

My chiuldren were in college and we lived in a reasonably nice gated community in our city. My monthly outlay was over $2000/month including utilities, food, and mortgage.

I was not able to work for two years, without any disability insurance, unemployment insurance , or any other form of financial support. I have no family other than my wife and children. So I had no one to turn to for help, other than myself.

My wife and children have depended on my ability to support them for the last 25 years. They had no clues how they could pay my bills either.

I requested guidance on what I should do, and what type of attitude I should formulate. My friend and SGI leader, acknowledged that the only guidance he could give is to chant nam myoho renge kyo as if my and my families lives depended on it. "Praying as if to ignite wet wood!"

My friend also advised me to get involved with SGI activites and help others with their problems. I knew what to do, and I did just that. I focused my effort on my wife, children, and SGI members, and their problems, knowing my problems will be resolved, just as I needed them to be.

For the entire two years, I received calls from out of the blue to provide consulting services, which I have never done, and offered payments in excess of what I normally charge for just doing the work, instead of giving advice.

This continued for the entire two years, along with two hours daily of chanting nam myoho renge kyo to the Gohonzon. I read every available book, newspaper, or publiation put out by President Ikeda, along with the Lotus Sutra six times and the Gosho three times. Both books are quite volumous. Yet I did all this and more.

My children did not miss one day of college as the Federal Governemt stepped in and offered to pay their tuition and books and give them spending money. The previous semester I paid both of their tuitoions in full and they were denied any financial aid, even though their financial situation was still the same. Than I had to make payments and never had any money for their books. My wife paid for their books. My taxe situation for the previous year had not changed nor had my filling status of taxes. All this was based on the recent change of events that the Federal Government was not even aware of. Just my daimoku.

I had no clues how all of these things would come together and support and protect my wife and four children. But they were protected and supported throughout the entire ordeal.

To this day, people are amazed to find out I survived without any financial support from any outside sources other than my own determination. My wife works as a retail clerk and makes $7.50/hour. Not near enough to cover our expenses.

My family and friends to this day, know the only thing I did was chant nam myoho renge kyo to the Gohonzon as if my families lives depended on it. The truth is, their lives did depend on my daimoku, and I proved to them I am a Buddha with all 32 features, by overcomming not only the financial situation, but also my health situation, as well.

You see after braking my neck in four places, and my back in four places, I managed to chant my way back to a full and complete recovery after my doctors said I would never be the same eer again. They said no motorcycles, no rough-housing, as anything could paralyze me in an instant.

The doctors filled out my SSI 100% disabaility paperwork. I placed that paperwork on my alter with my Gohonzon and chanted about changing my physical being as well. I exercised and overcame all of my physical problems and have a full recovery. No pain in my back or neck. Just an old man's body, a little older and a lot wiser.

The strategy of the Lotus Sutra is to chant for the resolution of our own problems. Just like President Ikeda says, "Who answers our prayers? We do!"

I hope this experience encourages others to chant nam myoho renge kyo to overcome any problems you have. The bigger the problem the better. Earthly desires are enlightrenment This means all we want and desire will surely lead us all to true enlightenment and true happiness and Joy in this life.

VegasBuddha.

G

Buddhism vs Christianity

Buddhism vs Christianity

Hello All,
Now you are touching on subjects that I am somewhat faimiliar and stuggle with in my practice. For just a little background, I was raised Southern Baptist. Serious Southern Baptist. My grandmother built 4 baptist churchs not to mention the money that was given to Billy Graham. Since very young, I never saw God, if you will, in the same light as others. He was animated as a real person, just as Jesus. He was a kind and loving God who came to your assistance at anytime. But he was taught as one who would punish you for your sins. You came into this life in sin having to ask for forgiveness each day. There is the Golden Rule and the 10 commandments which guides your actions. There is taught an acceptance of your hardships and struggles because it is Gods will and you are not to question that.Through all of that comes no responsibility for ones actions, no power to change your life, guilt. At the age of 19, I lost my dear brother to suicide. It was one of the worst times of my life. The pastor told me he would burn in hell forever. How could this be. He was a good man, he never hurt anyone. He never did anything bad. It was then that I turned my back on all of it and I spent my life searching until I was 34. In that time period, I felt that I needed a bumper sticker that said Jesus save me from your followers. Which brings another great question of mine How can one entity take on the sins of the world? I would be scolded for that because it was blasphemy. But how sad for him that he had to be responsible for everything I did wrong. I began chanting NamMyoHOREngeKyo at that time. I was provided for many answers to questions that I had had for a long time. I was responsible for my actions to myself and others. Cause and effect is very strict. It began to mold my actions. I then came to say that people would be better Christians if they were buddhists first. So it has been hard at times to learn the separation that I am one and the same to the gohonzon. It is not outside of myself. There is a great undoing if you will that has to occur. But nothing that I have ever done or studied gives me greater peace once I let go of those learned precepts. I think this is a struggle for alot of people who have been raised in western beliefs and come to the eastern beliefs.
I have a roommate who is very christian. One of our strongest suits is to sit and discuss spirituality. We can speak of exactly the same things and never know one is Christian and one is Buddhist until you get to the approach and put a name on that who gives you your strength. So this is a very difficult subject to differentiate differences. They are similar but yet so very very different in approach. Hope some of this made sense to you PTB. I'm sure it will to some. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.