What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What The Brain Said To The Mind

What The Brain Said To The Mind

One to me is fame and shame
One to me is loss and gain
One to me is pleasure and pain
Murmured the brain

Looking down with campassionate curiosity
As a beautiful woman idly
Inspects a tiny blemish
On her long smooth flank

Looking down with comapassionate curiosity
At the small imprinted
Chess board
Of the minds external game

One to me is shame and fame.........

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Brother Babbabud

Brother Babbabud

Two more excellent posts! Thank you for sharing them as I know everyone enjoys them. If you composed the second one yourself then more kudos to you!

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm headed somewhere with all of this, please bear with me!

I'm headed somewhere with all of this, please bear with me!

So what is faith in Buddhism? To me faith is action, because without cause there can be no effect. But the question is what action, what cause? In Nichiren Daishonins Buddhism, we chant the Daimoku of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo as a part of that action and combine that with effort to achieve our desires or prayers. Buddhism does not require the faith of embracing, accepting, and not questioning that is the normal definition of western thinking. Faith is very much a challenging of the Law to validate itself for the advancement of our own lives as well as serving as the inspiration and validation of the True Law for others to be able to see as encouragement to achieve their enlightenment as well. Faith in Buddhism is a process of doing rather than so much a process of believing. The following is the Dictionary definition:

Faith: A basic attitude emphasized in both early Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism. Faith constitutes the first of the five roots, or five elements of practice conducive to enlightenment, expounded in early Buddhism. The five roots are faith, exertion, memory, meditation, and wisdom. Mahayana Buddhism likewise emphasizes the importance of faith. The Flower Garland Sutra says, "Faith is the basis of the way and the mother of blessings." The Mahaparinirvana Sutra says, "Although there are innumerable practices that lead to enlightenment, if one teaches faith, then that includes all those practices." In the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni addresses Shariputra, who is known as foremost in wisdom, as follows: "Even you, Shariputra, in the case of this sutra, were able to gain entrance through faith alone. How much more so, then, the other voice hearers." "The Treatise on the Great Perfection of Wisdom' attributed to Nagarjuna reads, "The great ocean of Buddhism can be entered through faith." In 'Great Concentration and Insight', T'ien-t'ai states, "Buddhism is like an ocean that one can only enter with faith."

Another Sanskrit word for faith is 'adhimukti', which means confidence and is rendered in Chinese Buddhism as "belief and understanding." It means faith based on understanding; it also means to first take faith in the Buddha's teaching and then to understand it. 'Adhimukti' is the Sanskrit title of the "Belief and Understanding" (fourth) chapter of the Lotus Sutra translated by Kumarajiva. The "Distinctions in Benefits" (seventeenth chapter) of the Lotus Sutra says, "Ajita, if there are living beings who, on hearing that the life span of the Buddha is of such long duration, are able to believe and understand it for even a moment, the benefits they gain thereby will be without limit or measure." In 'The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings', Nichiren states: "Belief represents the value or price we attach to a jewel or treasure, and understanding represents the jewel itself. It is through the one word 'belief' that we are able to purchase the wisdom of the Buddhas of the three existences. That wisdom is Nam Myoho Renge Kyo."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The heart is more important than the mind

The heart is more important than the mind

Substituting faith for wisdom: The principle that faith is the true cause for gaining supreme wisdom, and faith alone leads to enlightenment. In general, Buddhism describes supreme wisdom as the cause of enlightenment. According to the Lotus Sutra, however, even Shariputra, who was revered as foremost in wisdom, could attain enlightenment only through faith, not through wisdom. The "Simile and Parable" (third) chapter of the sutra states: "Even you, Shariputra, in the case of this sutra, were able to gain entrance through faith alone. How much more so, then, the other voice hearers. Those other voice-hearers--it is because they have faith in the Buddha's words that they can comply with this sutra, not because of any wisdom of their own." In 'Great Concentration and Insight', T'ien-t'ai says "Buddhism is like an ocean that one can only enter with faith." In his 1277 treatise 'On the Four Stages of Faith and the Five Stages of Practice', Nichiren states, "Because our wisdom is inadequate, he [Shakyamuni Buddha] teaches us to substitute faith for wisdom, making this single word 'faith' the foundation".

Dictionary of Buddhism

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why I wrote all of this......

Why I wrote all of this......

There may be persons who read this thread because they find it interesting. There may be persons who read this thread because they are interested. There may be persons reading this thread that are trying it now. Chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. At this point, the simple act of doing so is the only act of "faith" that is required. All of the Sutras and Buddhas are inviting you and assuring you that your prayers will absolutely be fulfilled. To begin is easy........all you have to do is try!

Thomas

(The counter is showing too many hits for you not to be out there)

G

Faith

Faith

"Medicine King, suppose there is a man who is parched with thirst and in need of water. On an upland plateau he begins digging a hole in search of water, but he sees that the soil is dry and knows that water is still far away. He does not cease his efforts, however, and bit by bit he sees the soil becoming damper, until gradually he has worked his way into mud. Now he is determined in his mind to go on, for he knows that he is bound to be nearing water.

"The way of the bodhisattva is the same as this. As long as a person has not yet heard. Not yet understood. And not yet been able to practice this Lotus Sutra, then you should know that person is still far away from anuttara-samyak-sambodhi. Why? Because all bodhisattvas who attain anuttara-samyak-sambodhi in all cases do so through this sutra. This sutra opens the gate of expedient means and shows the form of true reality. This storehouse of the Lotus Sutra is hidden deep and far away where no person can reach it. But the Buddha, teaching, converting and leading to success the bodhisattvas, opens it up for them. LS- Teacher of the Law

I think this story summarizes the concept of faith. As PTD stated replace faith with wisdom and quickly become truly happy in this lifetime.

anuttara-samyak-sambodhi - complete anfd total enlightenment.

VegasBuddha

G

I personnaly have observed many people receive benefit; true happiness as well as material benefit, money, cars, homes; based on faith alone. No wisdom about how this Buddhism works. Yue Ultimate Law of Life or nam myoho renge kyo exists since time before beginning as will endure throughtout all time.

Nichiren Daishonin guarantees that if we chant nam myoho renge kyo to the Gohonzon, we will truly become happy, and receive the benefit that Shakyamuni Buddha promised; complete and total enlightenment.

"With faith alone, one enters the treasure tower!"

"butsu-bo is the treasure tower, and the treasure is Abautsu-bo, no furtehr knowledge is necessary!" Nichire Daishonin

Abutsu-bo was one of Nichiren Daishonoin's followers that asked about the Gohonzon and where he should seek this Gohonzon.

Nichiren Daishonin also says, "Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself!"

The Buddha's grerat state of life exists within our own life, and nowhere else. We are the Buddha of teh Latter Day of the Law, each and every one of use. You. Me. Everyone.

Whether you believe in the One Law of Cause and Effect or not, the Law of Cause and Effect exists just as The laws of Physics exist. With faith that nam myoho renge kyo and my life are one and the same leads to individual happiness.

"Buddhism is daily life!" President Ikeda.

If we are not winners in daily life, how can we call ourselves winners at all. If our lives are happy , we can say our life is complete. However, if others lives are unhappy, than our work is not yet done, and all people are not equal to Buddha. Until everyoen is as happy and content as me, I can not be happy, as well.

VegasBuddha

G

Faith, Practice, & study

Faith, Practice, & study

Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism consists of three components; as recommended by Nichiren Daishonin himself. These three components are faith, practice, and study.

Initially, we have no faith, but an expectaion that this ultimate law of life and death; nam myoho renge kyo; actually can work in own lives. But until we try chanting nam myoho renge kyo we will never know. I encouragre everyoen reading this thread to chant nam myoho renge kyo for your individual happiness.

After we chant a few times, perhaps we find olurselves feeling good or not so worried about our everyday problems. We may feel relaxed and more comfortable with ourselves, and ourt environment

At this juncture we may find ourselves developing some faith in nam myoho renge kyo and it's effectiveness in our individual lives. However we know nothing of the Ultimate law of Life and Death, so we must develop some study habits to learn more about the correct practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, if we are to succeed in our desire to practice this Buddhism correctly, and be happy, no matter what!

The other two componenerts of this triangle of support is prcatice and study. Practice is the continued chanting of nam myoho renge kyo to the Gohonzon. The Gohonzon is both a physical device or mandalla and the individual. BVoith are one and the same. "Abutsu-bo is the trreasure tower and the treasure tower is Anbustu-bo" ND

When we study Nichiren Daqishonin's Buddhism we learn how nam myoho renge kyo applies to our individual lives, as well as the lives of others. When we practice this Buddhism by chanting nam myoho renge kyo for our own happiness and the happiness of others, we desire to learn more of how this ulitmat law of life and death works. Study.

The correct understanding of prctice is to practiice for oneself and to practice for others, as well. What this means is to chant nam myoho renge kyo for those people you know who are unhappy or suffering with the four delusions of birth, death, old age and sickness.

Nichiren Daishonin teaches to care for another as if that person was you. This is the concept of practice for oneself and others. Through our practcie and our studies, we begin to observe actual proof of chanting nam myoh renge kyo. We may be happier, think more clearly, feel better about ourself, or whatever we need to be and achieve in our individual lives will improcve and manifest itself within our individual lives.

Through practice and study we can deepen our faith. When we deepen our faith, we feel a desire to practice correctly, and prctice for others. Our faith deepening desires us to improve our pratce and study. As these components improve, our faith deepens. We begin to believe this Law of nam Myoho Renge Kyo is real and works for each us individually. Actual proof.

These functions of faith, pratice, and study, support each other throughout our entire Buddhist practice. Jose toda, the Second SGI president said study is the basis of the other two components of practice and faith. When we understand, we cn pratice correctly and see actual proof; the most important aspect of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. Without study there is no Buddhism!

Without actual proof, why would we continue to practice. However, once we have actual proof, that can serve as a motivation to study and practice more in order to deepen our faith, adn bring about our individual happiness.

Individual happiness is the ultimate goal of practicing Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism of chanting nam myoho renge kyo to the Gohonzon, and nothing more.

VegasBuddha

Marley

Im not crazy

Im not crazy

Hello peeps,

Its so nice to meet people that r chanting to, i started a wile ago on/off. i did notice a big different in myself when chantin but as soon as i stoped, it was like the world was a harder place. So now throw reading this i am now going to get myself into a ruleen, beacuse i felt somethink that id never felt before. I also need to start reading more, but im a slow reader and need more self drive. Im also trying to give up smokin and its got me harder than before, but i no this is justed in my head. It crazy i feel i can sit hear in talk for every. i hope the chanting will help.

So peace out brother, ill be back

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Marley, you made my day!

Marley, you made my day!

Just as my young friend that PM'ed me did yesterday! I was busy and was going to add this next post before I heard from you two, but now that you've both spoken up, I am a bit misty eyed at the mystic timing of this! If either of you could know how special it is for the voice in your hearts to be heard out loud! If only you could know how much the sutras speak of this as something so wonderful as to be beyond compare! You have no idea how lucky you make me feel! Or how happy! I may sound like a blithering idiot right now, so I will refrain from trying to express something that is actully beyond words.

At any rate, before I add the post that was intrended to go up before you two said the words that you have spoken, let me say this. Neither of you have anything to worry about. Keep chanting. You are both Bodisattvas of the Earth, just as anyone reading what I am about to add, that feels signifcance in what is stated. Remember, the heart is more important than the mind. I thank my big brother Pat once more for taking this most important point off of the shelf of my ego where I had misplaced it for many years! How we learn our lessons is not important. All that is important is that we learn them.

Life is strictly pass/fail. There is no parent smiling more proudly at those seeming to get A's. That is an issue of karma. If only the A's mattered, who would be there to encourage and convince those receiving the lower marks to keep studying and never give up? We need to care for one another to make sure we all graduate! Your simple statements touched me more deeply than you can possibly know! The countless deciples of the Law continue to appear without cessation! How mindblowing! How wonderful! And I too am sure of one thing! I'm not crazy either!

Thank you!

Thomas

G

Go Marley Go!

Go Marley Go!

Marley,
your post is oh so encouraging. I know you can stop smoking and anything you want to accomplish in this lifetime. I smoked for over 35 years, and I quit cold turkey. Of course I chanted about the situation, and I won. Life is about winning and losing, and no more!

I also learned that the first drag we take is a deep breth. Deep breathing is a natural relaxer. The next tiem you want a smoke, take a long deep breath first and see what happens.

The real question is how important is our own happoiness to us? Are we willing to fight as hard for our happiness as we are for our successes in life.

Success is transient, happiness is eternal! Daisaku Ikeda. SGI president.

Seek happiness and success will be a natural outflow of our individual happiness. Only each of us knows what entails our own individual appiness. Individual happines is as unique as our fingerprints are.

"Apple, plum peach damson, each unique in taste and flavor" NIchiren Daishonin

Conrgatulatins Marley on securing your own individual happiness. I would like to encourage everyone ou there reading this thread to become the happiest person in the universe!

VegasBuddha

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Greetings fellow Bodhisattvas

Greetings fellow Bodhisattvas

I too have been following this thread from the beginning and have really gotten alot from it. Thank you everyone!

(Bodhisattva - One who aspires to Buddhahood and carries out various altruistic practices in order to acheive that goal. Compassion is the outstanding characteristic of the bodhisattva, who postpones their own entry into nirvana in order to assist others to gain enlightenment.) from Lotus Sutra Glossary

Delusion is such a negative function in one's life and I would like to share some excerps from a favorite gosho (letter to Nicherin's followers in 13th century Japan. The gosho is entitled "Issho Jobutso Sho", or in English, " On Attaining Buddhahood"

" If you wish to free yourself from the sufferings of birth and death you have endured through eternity and attain supreme enlightenment in this lifetime, you must awaken to the mystic truth which has always been within your life. This truth is Myoho-renge-kyo. Chanting Myoho-renge-kyo will therefore enable you to grasp the mystic truth within you. Myoho-renge-kyo is the king of sutras, flawless in both letter and principle. Its words are the reality of life, and the reality of life is the Mystic Law (Myoho). It is called the Mystic Law because it explains the mutually inclusive relationship of life and all phenomena. That is why this sutra is the wisdom of all Buddhas.........

You must never seek any of Shakyamuni's teachings or the Buddhas and bodhisattvas of the universe outside yourself. Your mastery of the Buddhist teachings will not relieve you of mortal sufferings in the least unless you perceive the nature of your own life. If you seek enlightenment outside yourself, any discipline or good deed will be meaningless. For example, a poor man cannot earn a penny just by counting his neighbor's wealth, even if he does so night and day.......

Whether you chant the Buddha's name(Nam Myoho Renge Kyo), recite the sutra or merely offer flowers and incense, all your virtuous acts will implant benefits in your life. With this conviction you should put your faith into practice. For example, the Jomyo Sutra says the Buddha's enlightenment is to be found in human life, thus showing that common mortals can attain Buddhahood and that the sufferings of birth and death can be transformed into nirvana. It further states that if the minds of the people are impure, their land is also impure, but if their minds are pure, so is their land. There are not two lands, pure or impure in themselves. The difference lies solely in the good or evil of our minds.

It is the same with a Buddha and a common mortal. While deluded, one is called a common mortal, but once enlightened, he is called a Buddha. Even a tarnished mirror will shine like a jewel if it is polished. A mind which presently is clouded by illusions originating from the innate darkness of life is like a tarnished mirror, but once it is polished it will become clear, reflecting the enlightenment of immutable truth. Arouse deep faith and polish your mirror night and day. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."
( full text: http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/library/Nichiren/Gosho/OnAttainingBuddhahood.htm)

Again, thanking everyone who participates and those that will participate in the future on this thread. I will end with questions I ask myself to stay connected on the road of human revolution and my enlightment in this lifetime:

1. Do I feel myself as victim of something.
2. Do I start to feel sorry about myself.
3. Do I cease to have the incentive to learn new things
4. Do I think that a problem can never be solved.
5. Am I filled with sense of hopelessness.

All deluded thoughts and the fundamental darkness of my humanity.

Peace everyone

Marley

Thank u

Thank u

It crazy we go throw life searchin for something when that some thing in on r door steap. U put my samll statement in to beautiful words, realiseation is the key to life. But some people can not c. I have be looking a different faiths sence i was 18 years old, i look at the dread thought liserning to bob marley, then i read a lot about healing and the 7 level of our body, The crazy thing is how i found out about buddhis faith. I was at my friends house and i all ways said hello to his mum, then one day i was sitting there and i started talking to her and then buddis come up. Then she when on to expain about the SGI and how it came about abd gave me a book, with told me what to chant and a little history. She all so said that in a past life i meet a buddis and this is how i came to find out about it (if u no what i mean). How i also got interested is by watch that film The Last Sameri with tom cruise, that also help me to c what is really out there. I have also listenen to deepah chopra and wanye dieer and i feel they touch on the buddis faith.

I have to go back though the post and read all the thing u and your buddy have been explaining to each other to help me under stand more. Because to under stnd things, people amd all the nutrue around us is half the key.
Also after reading the posted i when and chanted 4 the longest time yet and i feel asleep dont no if that is good but i felt great. I also gave a chant to my plants.

Thank u

Peace out

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From 'The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin'

From 'The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin'

From "On the Four Stages of Faith and the Five Stages of Practice"

Within these chapters of transmission, the four stages of faith and the five stages of practice expounded in the "Distinctions in Benefits" chapter refer to what is most important in the practice of the Lotus Sutra, and are a standard for those living in the time of the Buddha and after his passing.

Ching-hsi writes, " To produce even a single moment of belief and understanding' represents the beginning in the practice of the essential teaching." Of the various stages, the four stages of faith are intended for those living in the Buddha's lifetime, and the five stages of practice, for those living after his passing. Among these, the first of the four stages of faith is that of producing even a single moment of belief and understanding, and the first of the five stages of practice is that of rejoicing on hearing the Lotus Sutra. These two stages together are the treasure chest of the hundred worlds and the thousand factors and of three thousand realms in a single moment of life; they are the gate from which all Buddhas of the ten directions and the three existences emerge.

The two sage and worthy teachers T'ien-t'ai and Miao-lo established these two initial stages of faith and practice, and put forth three interpretations concerning them. One equates them with the stage of resembalnce to enlightenment, the ten stages of faith, and the stage of the iron-wheel-turning king. The second equates them with the first of the five stages of practice, which are identified with the stage of perception and action, at which one has not yet severed illusions of thought and desire. the third equates them with the stage of hearing the name and words of truth.

In reconciling these differences of interpretation, 'Great Concentration and Insight' states: "The Buddha's intentions are difficult to determine. He explained things differently according to the capacity of his listeners. If only we understand this, then what need is there for troublesome disputes?"

My opinion is that, of the three interpretations, the one that refers to hearing the name and words of the truth accords best with the text of the Lotus Sutra. For, in describing the first of the five stages of practice that apply to the time after the Buddha's passing, the sutra speaks of those who "[hear this sutra and] do not slander or speak ill of it but feel joy in their hearts." If one equates the stage described here with a level as advanced as the five stages of practice at the stage resemblance to enlightenment, then the words "do not slander or speak ill of it" would hardly be appropriate.

In particular, the passages in the "Life Span" chapter that speak of those who are "out of their minds" and those that are "not out of their minds" refer in both cases to the stage of hearing the name and words of the truth. The Nirvana Sutra says, "Whether they have faith or do not have faith...," and "If there are living beings who, in the presence of Buddhas numerous as the sands of the Hiranyavati River, have conceived the desire for enlightenment, then when they are born in the evil age such as this, they will be able to accept and uphold a sutra like this and will never slander it." One should consider these passages.

Again, in the four-character phrase "a single moment of belief and understanding," the word "belief" applies to the first of the four stages of faith, and the word "understanding," to those that follow. And if this is so, then faith without understanding would apply to the first of the four stages of faith. The second stage of faith is described in the sutra as that at which one "generally understands the import of the words" of the sutra. And in volume nine of 'The Annotations on the "Words and Phrases of the Lotus sutra" we read, "The initial stage of faith is different from the others, because in the initial stage there is as yet no undertanding."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Continuing in "The Four stages..."

Continuing in "The Four stages..."

Question: In the Latter Day of the Law, is it necessary for beginners in the practice of the Lotus Sutra to devote themselves to all three types of learning associated with the perfect teaching?

Answer: This is a very important question, and so I will be consulting the text of the sutra in answering you. In describing the first, second, and third of the five stages of practice, the Buddha restricts those at these stages from practicing precepts and meditation, and places all emphasis upon the single factor of wisdom. And because our wisdom is inadequate, he teaches us to substitute faith for wisdom, making the single word "faith" the foundation. Disbelief is the cause for becoming an icchantika and for slander of the Law, while faith is the cause for wisdom and corresponds to the stage of hearing the name and words of the truth.

T'ien-t'ai states: "When persons have reached the stage of resemblance to enlightenment, the benefits they have accrued will not be forgotten when they are reborn in another existence. But for persons at the stage of hearing the name and words of the truth or at the stage of perception and action, those benefits will be forgotten when they are reborn in succeeding existences, though there may be some among them who do not forget. Even in the case of persons who have forgotten those benefiits, if they should encounter a good friend, then the roots of goodness that they planted in their previous existences will be rivived. If they encounter an evil friend, they will lose thier true mind.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and more from " The Four stages..."

and more from " The Four stages..."

Question: For practioners in the Latter Day of the Law, who have just aroused the aspiration for enlightenment, what types of practice are restricted?

Answer: Such persons are restricted from practicing almsgiving, the keeping of precepts, and others of the five paramitas, and are directed to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo exclusively. This practice corresponds to the capacity of persons at the stages of "producing even a single moment of belief and understanding" and "rejoicing on hearing the Lotus Sutra" It represents the true intention of the Lotus Sutra.

<and a further excerpt. note: daimoku is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo>

Question: Why do you not advocate the meditaion on the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, but instead simply encourage the chanting of the daimoku?

Answer: The two characters that comprise the name Japan contain within them all of the people and animals and wealth in the sixty-six provinces of the country, without a single omission. And the two characters that make up the name India--do they not likewise contain within them all the seventy countries of India? Miao-lo says "When for the sake of brevity one mentions only the daimoku, or title, the entire sutra is by implication included therein. He also says, "When for the sake of brevity we speak of the Ten Worlds or the ten factors, the three thousand realms are perfectly encompassed therein.

When Bodhisattva Manjushri and the Venerable Ananda came to compile all the words spoken by the Buddha at the three assemblies during the eight years [in which the Lotus Sutra was preached], they wrote down the title Myoho-renge-kyo, and to show their understanding [that the entire sutra is contained in these five characters], they proceeded with the words "This is what I heard."

Question: If a person simply chants Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with no understanding of its meaning, are the benefits of understanding included?

Answer: When a baby drinks milk, it has no understanding of its taste, and yet its body is naturally nourished. Who ever took the wonderful medicines of Jivaka knowing of what they were compounded? Water has no intent, and yet it can put out fire. Fire consumes things, and yet how can we say that it does so consciously? This is the explaination of both Nagarjuna and T'ien-t'ai, and I am restating it here.

Question: Why do you say that all teachings are contained within the daimoku?

Answer: Chang-an writes: "Hence [T'ien-t'ai's explaination of the title in] the preface conveys the profound meaning of the sutra. The profound meaning indicates the heart of the text, and the heart of the text encompasses the whole of the theoretical and essential teachings. And Miao-lo writes, "On the basis of the heart of the text of the Lotue Sutra, one can evaluate all of the various teaching of the Buddha."

Though muddy water has no mind, it can catch the moon's reflection and so naturally becomes clear. When plants and trees receive rainfall, they can hardly be aware of what they are doing, and yet do they not proceed to put forth blossoms? The five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo do not represent the sutra text, nor are they its meaning. They are nothing other than the intent of the entire sutra. So even though the beginners in Buddhist practice may not understand their significance, by practicing these five characters, they will naturally conform to the sutra's intent.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lastly, (I promise!) from "The Four Stages..."

Lastly, (I promise!) from "The Four Stages..."

Question: When your disciples, without any understanding, simply recite with their mouths the words Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, what level of attainment do they reach?"

Answer: Not only do they go beyond the highest level of the four flavors and the three teachings, as well as that attained by practioners of the perfect teaching set forth in the sutras that preceed the Lotus Sutra, but they surpass by a hundred, thousand, ten thousand, million times the founders of the True Word, and various other schools of Buddhism, such as Shan-wu-wei, chih-yen, Tzu-en, Chi-tsang, Tao-hsuan, Bodhidharma, and Shan-tao.

Therefore, I entreat the people of this country: Do not look down upon my diciples! If you inquire into their past, you will find that they are great bodhisattvas who have given alms to Buddhas over a period of eight hundred thousand million kalpas, and who have carried out practices under Buddhas as numerous as the sands of the Hiranyavati and Ganges rivers. And if we speak of the future, they will be endowed with the benefit of the fiftieth person, surpassing that of one who gave alms to innumerable living beings for a period of eighty years. They are like an infant emperor wrapped in swaddling clothes or a great dragon who has just been born. Do not despise them! Do not look upon them with contempt!

Nichiren Daishonin - 1277

<what I have shared was not necessarily for everyone, and I know that. It is for those that have sensed even a moment of belief and understanding, and have felt joy in hearing the Lotus Sutra. We have devoted this thread to the sharing of ALL of our ideas and questions about life (Buddhism). It was not my intention to offend anyone. I appologize if this has offended you>

Thanks for your understanding!

Thomas

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Seed Light

The Seed Light

The seed light shines everywhere
All forms derive life from it

When bodies are created
It does not take possession

It clothes and feeds the ten thousand things
And does not distrub their illusions

Magical helix....... smallest form
Mother of all forms

The living are born, flourish and disappear
Without knowing their seed creator
Helix of light

In all nature it is true that the wiser
The older and the greater
Reside in the smaller

This is it

The seed moves so slowly and serenely
Moment to moment
That it appears inactive

The garden at sunrise breathing
The quiet breath of twilight
Moment to moment to moment

When we are in tune with this blissful rythym
The ten thousand forms flourish
Without effort

It is all so simple
Each next moment
This is it!

(taken from the Tao Te Ching)

Babba
be here now :)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be here now

Be here now

Ram Dass (Dr. Richard Alpert) Do you know if his health has returned to him?

Thank you again as I do everytime you post. When you share those with us, I always think of sitting alone in the forest, smoking a doobie with a big smile on my face.

<smiling>

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I feel another "vet" on the scene

I feel another "vet" on the scene

Hey SoCal Hippy! Why did you wait so long? VERY VERY impressive points to have shared! How poignant! The five questions are sure going to help a lot of people, including me!

Thank you! More please? This is getting really exciting for me! My heartfelt thanks to all!

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.