What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

PTD,
All that we have talked about up to this point are the tools available to us to take personal responsi9bility for everythng that occurs within our environment and outr own lives.

because we have faith in the Gohonzon; or faith in ichinen sanzen; we can challenge ourselves and change our life and our environment as wellas effect the lives of others..

This goes all the way back to the statement, "The purpose of the Buddha's appearance is his behavior", as well as "Even though I appear to enter nirvana, I am always here."

Shakyamuni Buddha is referring to us and our behaviour. Are we prepared to take responsibility for our environment and our own livesand not just our own personal lives, but the lives of others we effect daily, either knowingly or unknowingly.

"Deluded one is called human, Enlightened one is called a Buddha!"

A Buddha is "One who endures!"

All of this is just to encourage each of us to take action to take responsibility for our own enviroenemts. Through chanting nam myoho renge kyo to the Gohonzon we can change our environment and our karma. How wonderful!

VegasBuddha

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone not seeing a result?

Anyone not seeing a result?

I know of at least one person for sure who has been reading this thread, was open enough to actually CHANT (outloud!), and has seen a result. While they cannot yet attribute what they are experiencing specifically to chanting, they "sure as hell aren't going to stop" to see if it isn't! And for the rest of my bud loving friends in this community, they had the benefit of having a half ounce sent to them out of nowhere from a total stranger!

(Just as good as winning the seed lottery in my opinion)

Is anyone out there reading this thread trying chanting and NOT seeing any difference? If so, let us know!

VB has discussed 'expedient means', but please understand that the reason you can chant for anything, is that while you could not possibly pray to attain enlightenment with the conviction that you can do it, for the length of time it would probably take to attain it, it is quite simple to be that focussed on the problems or desires that we have in our daily lives.

When ever you say Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, you are doing what you are saying. You may be chanting for whatever it is that is perceptable and tangible to you, but simultaneously you are actually also making the request to attain enlightenment in your present form (this lifetime). The Universe cares less about the power of your Buddha Nature giving you material things, but if that is the way to help nuture your desire to manifest your Buddha Nature, so be it.

The more you chant, the more your inner wisdom is developed and your thinking and values change naturally from within, not from someone telling you what they should be. If a philosophy is truly correct, I think that the way it should be.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WND, Page 282

WND, Page 282

The Abbot said read it. Now I'll share it with you all.

The Nirvana Sutra says: "It is like the case of the a poor woman. She has no house to live in and no one to aid or protect her, and in addition she is beset by illness, hunger, and thirst; she wanders through various places, begging for a living. While staying at an inn, she gives birth to a baby, but the master of the inn drives her away. Though the baby has just been born, she takes it up in her arms and sets out, hoping to journey to another land. But along the way, she encounters fierce wind and rain, and is bitten by mosquitoes, gadflies, hornets, and poisonous insects. Coming at length to the Ganges River, she clasps her child in her arms and begins to cross it. Although the current is very swift, she will not let go of her child, and in the end both mother and child are drowned. But through the merit that the woman gained by her loving tenderness, she is reborn after her death in the Brahma heaven.

"Manjushri, if there are good men who wish to defend the correct teaching, they should emulate this poor woman crossing the Ganges who sacrificed her life because of her love for her child. Good man, the bodhisattvas who guard the Law should behave in this way. They should not hesitate to give up their lives. Then, although they do not seek emancipation, emancipation will come of itself, just as the poor woman, though she did not seek to be reborn in the Brahma heaven, was nevertheless reborn there."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and as my big brother further reminded me

and as my big brother further reminded me

As Nichiren Daishonin says, "A sword in the hand of a coward is useless!"

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know how to say this but not spell it

I know how to say this but not spell it

Okubyo, da wa nai!
Watashiwa samuri!

oso re ru na
make ru na
shinjin
kin no kachi

Thanks Pat!

G

PTD,
Beuatifully put. English translation please for the rest of us. :D

That is one of my favorite gosho passages to remind me how to give up my life for the Lotus Sutra, just like Nichiren Daishonin did.

VegasBuddha

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Big Brother,

I left out a word. It's supposed to be, "Watashiwa samurai desu"

It means :

"I am not a coward!
I am a Samurai !"

The second one is something Mr. Osaki told me when I was down, that he said Mr. Williams told him when he was down, that President Ikeda told Mr. Williams when he was down! I have shared it a thousand time in the 20 years sense. It has carried me through to victory over and over again. It means:

Dont be afraid.
Don't be defeated.
Faith...
Victory of gold!

Thomas

G

Chang-an's interpretation of the "Poor Woman and her Child"

Chang-an's interpretation of the "Poor Woman and her Child"

The Great Teacher Chang-an interprets this story from the Nirvana Sutra in terms of the three obstacles. Observe how he does this. The fact that the woman is called "poor" indicates that the person does not have the trea-ure of the Law. The fact that she is identified as a woman indicates that the person has a measure of tenderness. The "inn" signifies an impure land. The child she bears is the heart that has faith in the Lotus Sutra, or the wisdom that perceives one's inherent Buddha nature. Being driven out of the inn by its master signifies that the person is exiled. The fact that the baby has just been born means that very little time has passed since the person began to have faith in the Lotus Sutra. The fierce wind the woman encounters is the imperial decree sentencing the person to exile. The mosquitoes, gadflies, and other insects are the "many ignorant people who will curse and speak ill of " the votary of the Lotus Sutra. The fact that both mother and child are drowned indicates that, though in the end the person had his head cut off, he never renounced his faith in the Lotus Sutra. Being reborn in the Brahma heaven means being reborn in the realm of Buddhahood.

VegasBuddha

G

The Path

The Path

Mr. William's encouraged me to follow the foot steps of all the other Budha's and Bodhisattva's headed towards Eagle Peak. The path is easy to follow in this manner.

Of course my favorite is "The heart is the most imnportant!"

If you want to truly uinderstand someone, all you have to do is perceive the truth within their heart, and yours!

VegasBuddha

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The five components

The five components

The five components are form, perception, conception, volition and consciousness. Buddhism holds that these constituent elements unite temporarily to form an individual human being. Together they also constitute one of the three realms of exhistence, the other two being the realm of living beings, and the realm of the environment. (1) Form means the physical aspect of life and includes the five sense organs -eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and body- with which one perceives the external world. (2) Perception is the fuction of receiving external information through the six sense organs (the five sense organs plus the "mind," which integrates the impressions of the five senses). (3) Conception is the function of creating mental images and concepts out of what has been perceived. (4) Volition is the will that acts on the conception and motivates action. (5) Consciousness is the cognitive function of discernment that integrates the components of perception, conception, volition. Form represents the physical aspect of life, while perception, conception, volition and consciousness represent the spiritual aspect. Because the physical and spiritual aspects of life are inseparable, there can be no form without consciousness, and no consciousness without form. All life carries on its activities through the interaction of these five components. Their workings are colored by the karma one formed in previous lifetimes and at the same time create new karma. (Dictionary of Buddhism)

G

Magical Mystery Tour

Magical Mystery Tour

Greetings to Fellow Bodhisattvas of the Earth!
I have been reading and monitoring your Thread from afar, awaiting the time to enter. It is one of the amazing things of this practice where you may find encouragement and like minded people who are seeking enlightenment through the practice of Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism.
I have been a member for 14 years, to include the 4 years I was titan. I know that to members that is horror, however, it is a cause that I made for myself in the past, it was a challenge I stood up for and a part of my life. Some of it I understand and some of it I do not. And I have recently learned of the botchi that I bring to my life, through my own personal slander. It was the reson I quit practicing and the reason I have returned. So it is all good!
I live my life thru my heart and not too much wisdom. Oh the wisdom comes, hard earned, but the rational mind and knowledge has never been a big part of my practice, so returning at this time, and being able to read this thread, and hearing you all discuss the basic concepts of Buddhism, in the form of shakabuku, is part of what my life needs right now. And that is what we ususally get! So this has all been a great benefit for my life without you even knowing or knowing me. And that is what creates a Magical Mystery Tour! So I pass the southern pipe around to my big brother and his new friends
It IS the Heart that is most important! And with that comes Human Revolution! And that is why you hold on to:
Don't Be Afraid!
Don't Be Defeated!
Faith!
Victory of Gold!
That is why Buddhas have to endure! Cuz it gets really hard sometimes and we need each other to remember:
NEVER GIVE UP NO MATTER WHAT!
lOVE AND lIGHT TO YOU ALL, LITTLE SISTER

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Welcome Southere Girl! You honor us with your presence and kind words. We are all brothers and sisters and look forward to moving together toward kosen rufu, day by day. It is a pleasure to have a women's division member participate in this forum! We hope to hear more from you as time goes on. Thank you for posting today!

Thomas

Hitman

Daily Guidance August 22, 2004

Daily Guidance August 22, 2004

Those who have had the "seed" of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddihism planted within them by hearing about Nam-myoho-renge-kyo-whether they faithfully accept it or reject it-will definitely awaken to its greatness at some point and begin to move toward their enlightenment. This demostrates the great significance of shakubuku and the tremendous power of the Gohonzon, which is beyond the capacity of common mortals to measure.:)

Welcome Southern Girl and Hi All!

Last edited:
G

Welcome

Welcome

Welcome Southern Girl,
Your kind words bring Joy to my heart. We are never taitan, just taking two steps back in preparation of advancing with a ROAR!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, Like the Roar of the Lion!

VegasBuddha

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More from 'The Opening of the Eyes (II)' Gosho

More from 'The Opening of the Eyes (II)' Gosho

(Bear with me, the following is long, but very important to share.

Thomas)

The path to Buddhahood is not to be found in the Flower Garland doctrine of the phenomenal world as created by the mind alone, in the eight negations of the Three Treatises school, in the Consciousness-Only doctrine of the Dharma Characteristics school, or in the True Word type of meditation on the five elements of the Universe. Only the T'ien-t'ai doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life is the path to Buddhahood. Even in the case of this doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life, we do not possess the kind of wisdom and understanding to comprehend it fully. Nevertheless, among all the sutras preached by the Buddha during his lifetime, the Lotus Sutra alone contains this jewel that is the doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. The doctrines of the other sutras are merely yellow stones that appear to be jewels. They are like sand, from which you can extract no oil no matter how hard you squeeze it, or a barren woman who can never bear a child. Even a wise person cannot become a Buddha through the other sutras, but with the Lotus Sutra, even fools can plant the seeds that lead to Buddhahood. As the sutra passage I have quoted earlier puts it, "Although they do not seek emancipation, emancipation will come itself."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stay with me now...

Stay with me now...

Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbor doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood. Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection. Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life. This is what I have taught my disciples morning and evening, and yet they begin to harbor doubts and abandon their faith.

Foolish men are likely to forget the promises they have made when the crucial moment comes. Some of them feel pity for their wives and children and grieve at the thought of parting from them in this life. In countless births throughout many long kalpas they have had wives and children but parted from them in every existence. They have done so unwillingly and not because of their desire to pursue the way of the Buddha. Since they must part with them in any case, they should remain faithful to their belief in the Lotus Sutra and make their way to Eagle PeaK, so that they may lead their wives and children there as well.

Nichiren Daishonin

G

Everything is Transient, Only the Law Is Eternal

Everything is Transient, Only the Law Is Eternal

My hands are together, and I bow to you-PTB, Hittman, and VB!
The honor is Mine! And I have to laugh VB, I'm always roaring like a Lion! May not be in the right context, but got the roaring down. Life is always about learning, challenges and obstacles. That will never change. But what I have learned is your life condition does and that determines it all. It is as a marriage-you have to work at it every moment. And I never really felt Titan. I wonder if anyone really does go Titan? So yes VB, I have to agree with you on that one. Good Vibes to ya, Cindy

G

Everything is Transient, Only the Law Is Eternal!

Everything is Transient, Only the Law Is Eternal!

Since we are sharing from the Sutra, and as I have told you the memory bank is low in that department, I have to share the one story that has stuck with me regarding all is transient except the law.
There is a story from the Lotus Sutra entitled Transient Beauty and the Desire for Enlightenment. It was about a beautiful girl named Lotus, who was envied by all women and adored by all men. She had decided to give up the mundane world and seek enlightenment. On the way to Eagle Peak, she saw her reflection in a pond and decided she could have anythibng she wanted , why would she want to be enlightened? So she started back. Shakymuni saw this and appeared before her as a beutiful woman, more than herself. They began walking together and stopped to rest. The beautiful woman died and began to decay before Lotus' Eyes. She realized everything was transient. That only the law is eternal. She renounced everything, became a buddhist num and served well.
This Sutra was what I based my practice on. Hence the reason for me the Heart has always been the most important. Who you are and your word, the love you show! That is Kosen Rufu! Cindy

G

Southern Girl,
That is the most beautiful story giving understanding of the delusion of birth, death, old age, and sickness. Only the Law is eternal.

When we revel our own Four Boddhisattvas Bopundless Practices, Superior Practices, Pure Practcies, and Firmly Established Practices, we can reveal our own eternity life, true self, purity, and happiness in our life and our environment. I hope I got all four correctly regarding thier virtures.

When we exhiobit the four virtues of the Leaders of the Boddhisattv's of the Earth we reveal our own three thousand realms in a single moment of life. Just like Nichiren Daishonin did in 1279.

VegasBuddha

G

Boddhisattva Never Disparaging

Boddhisattva Never Disparaging

My favorite Lotus Sutra passage that encourages me:

"After the original Awesome Sound King Thus Come One had passed into extinction and after his Correct Law had also passed away, in the second period of his Counterfeit Law, monks of overbearing arrogance exercised great authority and power. At this time there was a Boddhisattva monk named Never Disparaging. Now Gainer of Great Authority, for what reason was he named Never Disparaging? This monk, whatever persons he happened to meet, whether monk, nuns, laymen, or laywomen, would bow in obesiance to all of them and speak words of praise saying,"

"I have profound reverence for you, I would never dare treat you with disparagement or arrogance. Why? Because you are all practicing the boddhisattva way and are certain to attain Buddhahood."

This phrase is referred to as the twenty-four character Lotus Sutra.

"The reason for the Buddha's advent on this world is his behaviour." Nichiren daishonin

"It is the heart that is most inmportant!" Nichiren Daishonin

VegasBuddha

Status
Not open for further replies.