What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What we visualise in our mind determines
what kind of life we will lead.
Let's make a great vow and
enthusiastically devote ourselves towards fulfilling it.
Let's always try to have a great, positive and hopeful perspective.

Daisaku Ikeda

* "My wish is that all my disciples make a great vow." - "The Dragon Gate", WND-I, page 1003

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Those who wholeheartedly practice faith through even the most difficult of circumstances gain unmistakable benefit. The joy they derive from this in turn serves as the driving force for introducing others to the Daishonin's teachings, and the actual proof they obtain carries the greatest persuasive power. This is an unchanging formula for spreading the Daishonin’s teachings."

SGI Newsletter No. 7501, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 21: Chap. 1, SGI 45, translated March 13th, 2008

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Best Meeting ever today! I was the emcee (host) and let me tell you it was amazing, I was just representing for Josei Toda, Chanting Growers, you, my family, Daisaku Ikeda, My local SGI group! I feel so soo pumped! I cannot tell you in words the elation I got from supporting and making this event happen!

So many people came together and performed so many different things and we all just did in the sake of letting others know about Gohonzon! Nancy Pelosi the Speaker of the House wrote us a message and a citation to our organization dated today and it was a pleasure! I got to see an awesome video with Josei Toda and it was better than ever, I mean I really feel I've been standing up for the same thing in my own way, and its so fecked up how I used to be such a bum, I mean a real misguided soul totally tormented and running on Enpty since the Clinton years, but truth be told I'm really really really really pleased I have fought my fundamental darkness for two years and just on that fact alone I can measure awesome awesome advancement. Wow, This was done because I have a mission to keep on keeping on spreading the proof in my life. It wouldn't have been measureable and real if I did not show up in this thread back in at the end of 05 since knowing about it, since babba got involved writing poetry at first! In 04 I was so depressed flipping through the pages of overgrow and icmag just wondering and complaining to my friend Babba if I was ever gonna end up rich or you know whatever else a young dude desires that doesnt entail school or work, now I'm all about school and work and paying forward my debt of gratitude to Gohonzon. I'm a kosen-rufu machine baby, built in the past to support babba socal and thomas (Bodhisattvas) and all my companions in the path towards 10,000+ more years of this! Who else is with me! I appreciate you all so very much, I really do.

Bonzo your my dawg dog, I been chanting for my brother Bonzo same as everyone else in the family and your my dog (brother for life). Scegy I'm so glad you reminded me that you are getting your own Gohonzon, you know I told my girl and said "its about time !!!" WOohoo, yoo Scegy when you come out to the states you better come my way brother!

Everyone else, there is much love for all, keep chanting and keep fighting damnit! Kick some FUNDAMENTAL DARKNESS' ASS!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Last edited:
E

EasyMyohoDisco

PassTheDoobie said:
"Those who wholeheartedly practice faith through even the most difficult of circumstances gain unmistakable benefit. The joy they derive from this in turn serves as the driving force for introducing others to the Daishonin's teachings, and the actual proof they obtain carries the greatest persuasive power. This is an unchanging formula for spreading the Daishonin’s teachings."

SGI Newsletter No. 7501, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 21: Chap. 1, SGI 45, translated March 13th, 2008

Holy shit this is true, today i got to rehearsal late and a lady really started 'digging in my ass' and going all out and just really doing a thick reprimand and admonishment, I told her "please don't take this the wrong way but lady your turning me on right now" she broke out laughing and the rest of the rehearsal was getting more positive off my humor and later on just before the show she said "I'm sorry if I went overboard on you before?" I said "I dunno what your talking about but if your trying to hit on me again, now is not a good time" She smiled and thanked me for not taking it personal. The funnier thing for me as I was just telling my gf was I don't think she knew that I knew she was a lesbian!

Human revolution is awesome, give it a shot: Just Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! and refreshing or making your determinations for your life got me started! You can't lose if you could stick with this from now til the end, I saw that in my observation from many sources of Josei Toda's life, that's why I know I gotta keep studying and learning more about this, I haven't even done 1% of my human revolution in two years of chanting, I'm determined to make it happen! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The 'great vow' refers to the propagation of the Lotus Sutra."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 736, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 82) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's essay, Seikyo Shimbun, March 16th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I would like to offer the words of the social activist and poet Danilo Dolci, who is often called the 'Gandhi of Sicily,'.... 'Peace is not a synonym for passive quietude, but of struggle. It is a mode of living implicit with a clear vision, a striving to educate and perfect yourself, and doing your utmost to solve problems."

SGI Newsletter No. 7497, The Interaction of Civilizations Leads to a Flourishing Culture of Humanity, March 23rd, 2007, translated March 10th, 2008

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

THE FORMALITY OF GONGYO

Selection Source: Deepen the Roots of Faith, May 18, 1981, Frankfort,
Germany, Buddhism in Action, vol. 1, 98

Please remember that it is most important to pray to the Gohonzon
unceasingly, day by day. To put it another way, we can say that faith
should be consistent like flowing water. The benefits we obtain are
in proportion to the sincerity we show in consistently doing gongyo
and chanting daimoku.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our view of Buddhahood...

Our view of Buddhahood...

Who Is a Buddha?

To many, the image conjured up by the word Buddha is of an otherwordly being, calmly remote from the matters of this world. Through meditation he has attained state of "nirvana" which will enable him to escape this world and its constant sufferings--the fruit of human delusion and desire.

However, this image does not reflect the truth about the life of Shakyamuni, the founder of Buddhism who lived in India around 2,500 years ago. He was a deeply compassionate man who rejected the extremes of both asceticism and attachment, who was constantly interacting with others and wanted all people to share the truth he had discovered.

The literal meaning of Buddha is "enlightened one." Enlightenment is a fully awakened state of vast wisdom through which reality in all its complexity can be fully understood and enjoyed. Any human being who is awakened to the fundamental truth about life can be called a Buddha.

However, many schools of Buddhism have taught that enlightenment is only accessible after an arduous process undertaken over unimaginably long periods of time--over many lifetimes, in fact. In dramatic contrast, what is considered Shakyamuni's last and highest teaching, the Lotus Sutra, explains that Buddhahood is already present in all life. It teaches absolute equality and emphasizes that even within the life of a person apparently dominated by evil, there exists the unpolished jewel of the Buddha nature. No one else gives it to us or judges whether we "deserve" it.

As with gold hidden in a dirty bag, or lotus flowers emerging from a muddy pond, we have first to believe our Buddha nature is there, then awaken and develop or "polish" it. In Nichiren Buddhism this can be done through devotion to the law contained in the Lotus Sutra and the chanting of the phrase "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

But Buddhahood is not a static condition or a state in which one can rest complacently. Rather, it is a dynamic experience and a journey of continual development and discovery.

When we continually reinforce the Buddhahood in our lives, we come to be ruled less and less by selfishness (or greed), anger and foolishness--what Buddhism terms the three poisons. As we fuse our lives with the enlightened life of the Buddha, we can tap the potential within us and change ourselves in a fundamental way.

As this inner state of Buddhahood is strengthened, we also develop a fortitude which enables us to ride even the wildest storms. If we are enlightened to the true, unchanging nature of life, we can joyfully surf the waves of difficulty which wash against us in life, creating something of value out of any situation. In this way our "true self" blossoms, and we find vast reserves of courage, compassion, wisdom and energy or life-force inside us. We find ourselves becoming more active and feeling deep inner freedom. And as we experience a growing sense of oneness with the universe, the isolation and alienation that cause so much suffering evaporate. We lessen our attachment to our smaller egotistical self, to difference, and become aware instead of the interconnectedness of all life. Gradually we find our lives opening up to those of others, desiring their happiness as much as our own.

However, while it is easy to believe that we all possess the lower life-states outlined in Buddhist teachings (hell, hunger, animality, anger and so on), believing that we possess Buddhahood is much more difficult. But the struggle to develop and constantly strengthen this state within our lives is well worthwhile.

For, in the words of Daisaku Ikeda, "[Buddhahood] is the joy of joys. Birth, old age, illness and death are no longer suffering, but part of the joy of living. The light of wisdom illuminates the entire universe, casting back the innate darkness of life. The life-space of the Buddha becomes united and fused with the universe. The self becomes the cosmos, and in a single instant the life-flow stretches out to encompass all that is past and all that is future. In each moment of the present, the eternal life-force of the cosmos pours forth as a gigantic fountain of energy."

[ Courtesy July 1998 SGI Quarterly ]

http://www.sgi.org/buddhism/daily-life/list/buddha.html

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"...there is no need for us to ever despair over any situation or to be envious of others. No matter what challenging day-to-day problems or what karmic suffering we may face in the course of life, just as the white lotus blooms with lofty, fragrant beauty while growing in muddy water, we will be definitely able to bring forth magnificent flowers of unparalleled happiness. This is the Buddhist principle of our lives remaining pure in this defiled world, just like the lotus."

SGI Newsletter No. 7503, Passing the Torch of Kosen-rufu to a New Generation, January 19th, 2008, translated March 17th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"There is no true happiness other than upholding faith in the Lotus Sutra. This is what is meant by 'peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences.' Though worldly troubles may arise, never let them disturb you."

(Happiness in This World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Volume 1, page 681) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 18th, 2008

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From Daily Wisdom, for March 11th. (WND, 299-300) "On the Treasure Tower." Written to Abutsu-bo Nittoku on March 13, 1272.

You, yourself, are a Thus Come One who is originally enlightened and endowed with the three bodies. You should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with this conviction. Then the place where you chant daimoku will become the dwelling place of the treasure tower.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On Reciting the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra

On Reciting the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra

On Reciting the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra / WND II, pg. 211

Someone asked me the following question. Is it true that, even though members of the clergy or lay believers may not understand the exact meaning of the text of the Lotus Sutra, if they accept and uphold the entire sutra, or one volume of it, or the four most important chapters (1), or the verse section of the “Life Span” chapter, or just one phrase of the Sutra; if they themselves read the sutra or copy it; or, if they neither read nor copy it, but just face the Sutra, press their palms together and bow in obeisance, or make offerings of incense and flowers; or, if they do not do any of these things, but see others doing these things and have just a slight feeling of rejoicing in their hearts or are happy that the Lotus Sutra is being spread throughout the country—is it true that, if they carry out even one of these acts, they will not be held accountable for worldly offenses, but will be aided by the benefits of the Lotus Sutra, and like the sages who have reached the first of the four stages of enlightenment in the Hinayana teachings, will in each of their future existences be reborn in the human and heavenly realm, and will not fall into the evil paths of existence? And is it true that, constantly reborn in the human or heavenly realms, they will eventually gain complete enlightenment into the Lotus Sutra, attain rebirth in one of the pure lands of the ten directions, or, should they remain in this present world, attain Buddhahood in their present form? Please explain to me in detail about this matter.

I would answer as follows. I do not have a complete understanding of the text, but judging from what is expressed in the Lotus and Nirvana sutras and the commentaries by T’ien-t’ai and Miao-lo, if people happen to put their faith in the Lotus Sutra and they do not in any way slander it, then they will not, as a result of their offenses they might commit, fall into the evil paths of existence.

But if they should encounter an evil friend who has only a slight understanding of the provisional teachings and who, pretending to be very knowledgeable, declares in a plausible manner that the Lotus Sutra is ill fitted for people of our capacities; and if they believe in his words and cease in their hearts to delight in the Lotus Sutra, and instead put their trust in some other teachings, never again for the remainder of their lives returning to their faith in the Lotus Sutra, then they will most likely fall into the evil paths of existence.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bout time to look the devil of the sixth heaven directly in eyes and tell him
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo

you are all in our chants :)
much love to each everyone that lays eyes on this thread :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo Like the Roar of the Lion

Last edited:
E

EasyMyohoDisco

Yo babba we been supporting each other for years, know that I'm right there with you brother. Same with Mrs.Babba, me and my gf love her as a sister. Today I got bronchitis and I'm hurting all over but right now dude I'm gonna send strong daimoku your way because as Bodhisattvas of the Earth this is how we do it.

Know that in this lifetime we are all physically seperated by incredibly vast areas across the globe but we are always united in spirit in every life. Thomas' posts prove this link from the past and our actions reinforce this. The 3 obstacles and 4 devils have thrown everything and the kitchen sink at us and look, we still remain spiritually unscathed. This is not by coincidence but by FAITH alone.

I did my best during our March 16th amazing meeting and on my Gohonzon birthday later this month we will share about the progress we have made in the past 2+ years! Fighting these devilish functions tooth and nail, everyday, is our path towards embracing Gohonzon! Let's keep telling others about this practice full of vim and vigor for the happiness of others and keep realizing our mission.

Know that I am with you in prayer.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Last edited:
B

baccas125

I knew all this chanting would pay off i just got some wonderful news about some friends who I have been chanting for. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!!!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
woooooooooooooop !!!!!!!!!! things have gone very very well. Our chants have kicked ass. I am so amazed. I thankyou all for the encouragement and moral support you have supplied over the past six months :) Your chants have been so wonderful and have given us such a feeling of assurance. What an awesome turn of events. We are truly amazed ... Just so happy :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo Like the Roar of the Lion

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And for those of you wanting to know if you can now exhale, the answer is yes. I have confirmed that the fat lady sang today. Congratulations to the Babbas and to everyone who supported them through this challenge. Thank you for the actual proof once again! Together, let's continue to prove the truth of our motto...

Don't (ever) be afraid!

Don't (ever) be defeated!

(through our) Faith!

(we will always achieve a) Victory of GOLD!!!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Very very happy about this result. We have been chanting for this result as well and we're so glad that our family is safe. WOOOOOHOOOO!

I have a daimoku request as well, there are many layoffs going on in my company and I could really use some protection daimoku right now. I know Gohonzon is my protection and I also know how powerful the results are when we all unite in prayer, so I'm gonna make this a huge victory and keep advancing like the lion hearted practitioner I am.

My friends on this thread, I am very pleased that we reached another great milestone and now have the rest of this year to really advance kosen-rufu in our local organizations. With that in mind, I continue to vow to support my members and do my best to advance the propagation of our amazing practice. Thank you for the incredible encouragement my friends, it is amazing food for my life.

I'm very pleased with this result, thank you babbas for fighting and struggling with us and keeping us in the loop, a great leader shares their struggles with others and always advances courageously! I'm very pumped up, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!!!

Thank you soo much! WOooohoooooo! :laughing:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

EXCERPT FROM SGI PRESIDENT IKEDA'S NOVEL

Selection Source: SGI Newsletter No. 7501, The New Human Revolution--
Vol. 21: Chap. 1, SGI 45

"Those who wholeheartedly practice faith through even the most
difficult of circumstances gain unmistakable benefit. The joy they