What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
finger....

finger....

Hey dude! So happy to have you stop in. What you seek is right here! We are all individuals that found what they were looking for was a self-motivated change from within.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo isn't just words to chant, it is literally the power of your own life (one's Buddha Nature) becoming manifest by one's acknowledgement of it through the process of calling it out (chanting). Please try! It doesn't cost a thing! Just say the words and think of what you want to have happen.

The power of your own life will respond in a way that will keep you coming back for more. Our prayers are answered--these desires actually manifest as reality--for the express purpose of deepening our faith. Our faith is based on our personal life experience, so we can have confidence in the teachings that further this process of Human Revolution. Chanting brings about the emancipation of our innate Buddha Nature from the state of delusion we dwell in as common mortals.

Try it you'll like it! Read as much as you can here to start. We will be happy to answer as many questions you may have, as we can. But the key is to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo yourself and ask the Universe to reveal it's power to you.

That power exists innately within each of us, but remains obscured by our delusion and ignorance of it's existence. That power is what was revealed to you in your shroom experience. That power is what lead you here and has you asking these questions.

Continue. The power is you! Just chant and come to understand it for what it is.

Deep respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Buddhist concept of 'the oneness of good and evil' is illuminating. Buddhism teaches that both aspects are inherent within human life, with one or the other being manifested due to the arising of certain causes and conditions. Based on this concept, I believe that the true value of creative, constructive dialogue is to be found in our effort to perfect and elevate our own lives, to suppress the manifestation of evil or negative aspects, and to foster and encourage the manifestation of good or positive aspects. This very effort underlies the kind of dialogue and communication that we are in such dire need of today. "

SGI Newsletter No. 7497, The Interaction of Civilizations Leads to a Flourishing Culture of Humanity, March 27th, 2007, translated March 10th, 2008.

Wow.That hit the spot doobie.....had a rough one last night,domestic quarreling over dumb B.S.,a couple cuts I got went limp-basically one of those mornings where if I didn't have to take my daughter to school I'd still have the covers pulled over my head. I just signed on and got to read this while the sun just happened to hit the window beside my desk and shine right on me synchronicity it never ceases to amaze me!
thx doobie I needed that!
now if only these damn cuts would perk up and I had something other than an old sack of schwagg in my drawer..... :badday:
:rasta: Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.....it rolls right off the toungue!
have a great day :joint:
sammy54543

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it rolled right off of your tongue then you are one too. Welcome Brother, you must be a Bodhisattva of the Earth!* We don't chant because we are Bodhisattvas of the Earth, we are Bodhisattvas of the Earth because we chant.

(Go back and read the shit out of this thread.)

*"Were they not Bodhisattvas of the Earth, they could not chant the daimoku." [The True Aspect of All Phenomena WND, Page 385, col 2, paragraph 12]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you Bud and Mrs B! Hey scegy! Hey sleepy! Hey SoCal and MyohoDisco! Hey Bonz and Hit! Hey Bartender and Baccus! Hey DG and Gypsy!

Peace and constant prayers for you all and every one else we have learned from here! Much love and deepest respect!

The Doobies

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is from "Lectures on The Heritage of the Ultimate law of Life. SGI President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series. 11. Bodhisattva Superior Practices. Pioneering the Way for Human Victory by Unlocking the Highest Potential for All People." In Living Buddhism, March/April, 2008, Page 54.

In one sense, human beings are weak and vulnerable, and find it extremely difficult to break through the darkness of their innate ignorance. But they also have the capacity for infinite nobility when they believe in the fundamental power inherent in their own lives and the lives of others. When people come into contact with the victorious life of a great champion like Nichiren, they can discover their own limitless potential.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Hello everyone :rasta:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Welcome to the Chanting Growers Thread Smellmyfinger. Great to have you drop in. Hope you will spend some time reading the dialogue we have had over the past years and then actually try chanting :) I started in the shower or when driving alone. Once I saw some results I had no problem chanting out loud in front of anyone :) Oh yea rolls right off the toungue. Smooth as silk or a good bud even :) Hope to see you drop in often.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud said:
Welcome to the Chanting Growers Thread Smellmyfinger. Great to have you drop in. Hope you will spend some time reading the dialogue we have had over the past years and then actually try chanting :) I started in the shower or when driving alone. Once I saw some results I had no problem chanting out loud in front of anyone :) Oh yea rolls right off the toungue. Smooth as silk or a good bud even :) Hope to see you drop in often.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I plan to my friend
and I appreciate the warm welcome I've received here so far....it's good to be around some drama-free,good karmic vibes
thank you
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo :bow: :yes: :dance: :ying:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Buddha and Devadatta are like a form and its shadow--in lifetime after lifetime, they are never separated. Prince Shotoku and his archenemy Moriya appeared at the same time, like the blossom and the calyx of the lotus. If there exists a votary of the Lotus Sutra, then the three types of enemies are bound to exist as well."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 278) Selection source: Discussion, Seikyo Shimbun, March 13th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Goals rouse hope. Where there is hope, courage and dynamism well forth. That is one reason for setting goals to strive for."

SGI Newsletter No. 7499, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 21: Chap. 1, SGI 43, translated March 12th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"One is the mother of ten thousand."*
Everything starts with one person.
Let's, therefore, begin by inspiring
one person, that will then spread courage
to ten thousand others and more.

Daisaku Ikeda

* "Conversation between a Sage and an Unenlightened Man", WND-I, page 131

scegy

smelly fingah!

welcome dude, in my 2 years of practice i've gained nothing but profit in a form of constant progress and joy in doing so. and it's another joy to see other ppl having the same effects in their life by the same cause---> removing the BS

embracing the limitless power of my mind IS letting the Universe in my heart
love and compassion is the way i want to go

with all compasion gathered in me, chant my smelly friend, chant ur ass off and enjoy it, we will be all around you!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

It goes like this:

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Upon chanting you become Parent, Teacher ,Sovereign. These attributes are within our reach, upon chanting my life change big time. Right now I'm struggling to help people and today I had a tough day, my company is laying off people and it was tough. But we will all continue to persevere!

I got all of you friends in my prayers! Keep on chanting and so will I!

Peace!

my wife came in the room today and heard me chanting and i'm convinced she thinks I'm nuts.....but thats nuthin new.Thx for the warm wishes all of you....restoring my faith one post at a time!!!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The purpose of the appearance of this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behaviour as a human being."

(The Three Kinds of Treasure - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 852) Selection source: The New Human Revolution, Seikyo Shimbun, March 14th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In case the wife asks....

In case the wife asks....

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

The invocation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo was established by Nichiren on April 28, 1253. Having studied widely among all the Buddhist sutras, he had concluded that the Lotus Sutra contains the ultimate truth of Buddhism: that everyone without exception has the potential to attain Buddhahood. The title of the Lotus Sutra in its Japanese translation is Myoho-renge-kyo. But to Nichiren, Myoho-renge-kyo was far more than the title of a Buddhist text, it was the expression, in words, of the Law of life which all Buddhist teachings in one way or another seek to clarify. What follows is a brief and unavoidably limited explanation of some of the key concepts expressed by this phrase.

Nam

The word nam derives from Sanskrit. A close translation of its meaning is "to devote oneself." Nichiren established the practice of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as a means to enable all people to put their lives in harmony or rhythm with the law of life, or Dharma. In the original Sanskrit, nam indicates the elements of action and attitude, and refers therefore to the correct action one needs to take and the attitude one needs to develop in order to attain Buddhahood in this lifetime.

Myoho

Myoho literally means the Mystic Law, and expresses the relationship between the life inherent in the universe and the many different ways this life expresses itself. Myo refers to the very essence of life, which is "invisible" and beyond intellectual understanding. This essence always expresses itself in a tangible form (ho) that can be apprehended by the senses. Phenomena (ho) are changeable, but pervading all such phenomena is a constant reality known as myo.

Renge

Renge means lotus flower. The lotus blooms and produces seeds at the same time, and thus represents the simultaneity of cause and effect. The circumstances and quality of our individual lives are determined by the causes and effects, both good and bad, that we accumulate (through our thoughts, words and actions) at each moment. This is called our "karma." The law of cause and effect explains that we each have personal responsibility for our own destiny. We create our destiny and we can change it. The most powerful cause we can make is to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo; the effect of Buddhahood is simultaneously created in the depths of our life and will definitely manifest in time.

The lotus flower grows and blooms in a muddy pond, and yet remains pristine and free from any defilement, symbolizing the emergence of Buddhahood from within the life of an ordinary person.

Kyo

Kyo literally means sutra, the voice or teaching of a Buddha. In this sense, it also means sound, rhythm or vibration. Also, the Chinese character for kyo originally meant the warp in a piece of woven cloth, symbolizing the continuity of life throughout past, present and future. In a broad sense, kyo conveys the concept that all things in the universe are a manifestation of the Mystic Law.

Primary Practice

Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo--also known as "Daimoku"--is the primary practice of SGI members. Through this practice, one is able to reveal the state of Buddhahood in one's life, experienced as the natural development of joy, increased vitality, courage, wisdom and compassion.

"When deluded, one is called an ordinary being, but when enlightened, one is called a Buddha. This is similar to a tarnished mirror that will shine like a jewel when polished. A mind now clouded by the illusions of the innate darkness of life is like a tarnished mirror, but when polished, it is sure to become like a clear mirror, reflecting the essential nature of phenomena and the true aspect of reality. Arouse deep faith, and diligently polish your mirror day and night. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo." -- Nichiren, On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime

( http://www.sgi.org/buddhism/practice/nam-myoho-renge-kyo.html )

Last edited:
E

EasyMyohoDisco

HUGE HUGE BENEFIT!

HUGE HUGE BENEFIT!

YO GUYS! I did it! There was no YMDs in my district practicing, none. All my shakubukus are always foreign, another county town state. Today I realized something I was chanting for and mentioned on the thread, I invited some kids that came to a meeting in january Pete and Charlie and they are in high school and today they came and another youth whose mother is a group cheif. It was awesome we did gongyo I told them about march 16th and encouraged them to chant for the "right things they need", I told them about Nichiren Daishonin and that I'm responding to my personal mission to tell my friends about Nichiren Daishonin and how knowing about him and chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! I can WAKE UP, SHAKE IT UP, MAKE IT HAPPEN, AND GO IN UNCHARTED DIRECTIONS! WOOT we had a blast, they had more energy than me I'm so winded and had alot of obstacles obstructing my progress. I mean alot just today, but heck, when am I not being assaulted by my own mind? I still muster the faith and chant and thank Gohonzon for mercifully giving me what I needed to accomplish this. That is why Smelly and PTD materialized energy recently, but we all are breaking through, I know I am! My gf is practicing for the event tomorrow, everyone is encouraged and positive, thank you everyone for your daimoku! Thank you!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everyone needs to pull together to chant for Bud and Mrs.B again between now and the 19th. I know everyone joins me in encouraging them and taking action by specifically having their well-being in mind when we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo for these next few days!

Sincere and deepest respect you two! Have faith and show us again some actual proof! Don't relax!

Bowing in obeisance,

Thomas

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is from "Lectures on The Heritage of the Ultimate law of Life. SGI President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series. 11. Bodhisattva Superior Practices. Pioneering the Way for Human Victory by Unlocking the Highest Potential for All People." In Living Buddhism, March/April, 2008, Page 58.

Humanity today is earnestly seeking living examples and role models. In particular, people yearn to find those who embody a humanistic philosophy, one that will usher in a happier and more hopeful future. The time has now arrived for our valiant members across the globe to be respected as Bodhisattvas of the Earth. This is because they are carrying out the very practice those Bodhisattvas vowed to pursue.

Status
Not open for further replies.