What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EasyMyohoDisco

"A mind now clouded by the illusions of the innate darkness of life is like a tarnished mirror, but when polished, it is sure to become like a clear mirror, reflecting the essential nature of phenomena and the true aspect of reality. Arouse deep faith, and diligently polish your mirror day and night. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."
Reference:

WND Page 4
Page 3 On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime
Written to Toki Jonin in 1255 from Kamakura

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Easy great to hear the interview went well. Im sure which ever school you choose will soon have a chanting group:)
Hope everyone is doing well and their absence just means they are out doing lots of shakabuku.
Nam myoho renge kyo Nam myoho renge kyo Nam myoho renge kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ... a poem from the past!!

All things pass

A sunrise does not last all morning

All things pass

A cloudburst does not last all day

All things pass

Nor a sunset all night

But Earth.......sky........thunder....

..wind......fire......lake.....

..mountain.......water

These always change

And if these do not last

Do man's visions last ?

Do man's illusions ?

Take things as they come

All things pass

Nam myoho renge kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is from Writing for Discussion Meetings. Fortifying Our Buddhahood With 'Great Care." In the World Tribune, February 15, 2008. Page 7.

In the same spirit as Nichiren, each of the three founding Soka Gakkai presidents--Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, Josei Toda and Daisaku Ikeda--have held fast to the same vow and defeated devilish functions seeking to impede kosen-rufu.

It's impossible to know when devilish functions will creep in and sway us from our mission to widely spread the practice of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Therefore, just as Nichiren and the three founding presidents have held fast to their vow, it is important for us to do the same. When we make this the core of our Buddhist practice, we can overcome all obstacles and devilish functions to bring about our limitless potential.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
slander
[謗法] (Jpn hobo )
More specifically, slander of the Law. To deny, oppose, disparage, or vilify the correct Buddhist teaching. The "Simile and Parable" (third) chapter of the Lotus Sutra reads: "If a person fails to have faith but instead slanders this sutra, immediately he will destroy all the seeds for becoming a Buddha in this world.... When his life comes to an end he will enter the Avichi hell." Miao-lo (711-782) says in his Annotations on "The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra": "This [Lotus] sutra opens the seeds of Buddhahood inherent in the beings of each of the six paths. But if one slanders the sutra, then the seeds will be destroyed." According to the Nirvana Sutra, not to reproach those who slander the Law amounts to committing slander oneself. The sutra reads: "If even a good monk sees someone destroying the teaching and disre-gards him, failing to reproach him, to oust him, or to punish him for his offense, then you should realize that that monk is betraying the Buddha's teaching. But if he ousts the destroyer of the Law, reproaches him, or punishes him, then he is my disciple and a true voice-hearer." Nichiren (1222-1282) states, "Those who put their faith in it [the Lotus Sutra] will surely attain Buddhahood, while those who slander it will establish a 'poison-drum relationship' with it and will likewise attain Buddhahood" (882). See also fourteen slanders.

I hope to recognize slander more clearly in the future....... so sorry
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Yo Bud me2 man, I swear its just downright f'ed up man how we just end up slandering and not realize it often til it's pretty set in, damn brother we gotta keep chanting more consistently to stay sharp and on guard. Dude its just tough man how things keep stacking up sometimes and how sometimes just out of the blue trying to do something nice, BAM another f'ed up situation arises. That really can stop you dead in your tracks but badass practitioners of The Law like us just keep moving and doing the right thing. Man you know I've been learning to write online for a long time and still so often, I'm too lazy to cite things and it seems or it has in the past, that I'm saying stuff I'm quoting. What I'm trying to say is even with the good intention of polishing an important skill, you could slack off on some aspects and not give respect where its due or disrespect by mistake. Either way, Gohonzon is so merciful we can continue to practice going forward strongly and vigorous demand the universe work in our favor to carry out kosen-rufu through our constant effort to persevere through it all.

I've been so busy lately and am right now I've been neglecting things and I hope to catch up more and be more reliable. I never thought like that before but chanting helps alot. I'll be sure to make our youth meeting on the 16th a success, even though I'm exhausted, have been all week, I'm gonna go out there and chant tomorrow and support this weekend after classes. We're gonna WIN a huge victory here and fulfill some good foundation work towards a strong Nichiren Buddhist community wherever I go.

Peace my friends, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Winter always turns to spring."*
We practise this faith so that we can always overcome
any and every obstacle we encounter (no matter how difficult it might be).
Let's make every effort to awaken to our profound missions and
move forwards cheerfully, patiently and with perseverance!

Daisaku Ikeda

* "Winter Always Turns to Spring" - WND-I, page 536

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In the light of the above points, this shows, my followers, that you had better cut short your sleep by night and curtail your leisure by day, and ponder this! You must not spend your lives in vain and regret it for ten thousand years to come."

(The Problem to Be Pondered Night and Day - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 622) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 7th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"As the Russian writer Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910) wrote: 'We live for ourselves only when we live for others.' True vibrancy and joy in life are found in interacting with others and in our activities for kosen-rufu."

SGI Newsletter No. 7492, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 21: Chap. 1, SGI 34, translated March 3rd, 2008

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is from "Buddhist Learning for March. Lectures on The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life. SGI President Ikeda's study lecture series. 11. Bodhisattva Superior Practices. Pioneering the Way for Human Victory by Unlocking the Highest Potential of All People." Living Buddhism, March/April 2008. Page 48.

Nichiren states: "The Lotus Sutra says that Bodhisattva Superior Practices will appear now, in the Latter Day of the Law, to propagate this teaching, but has this happened? Whether or not Bodhisattva Superior Practices has appeared in this world, Nichiren has already made a start in propagating this teaching." (WND-1, 218).

Here Nichiren is effectively affirming that he himself is Bodhisattva Superior Practices, who vowed to appear in the Latter Day of the Law. Therefore, the heritage of the ultimate Law of life and death flows in the lives of those who practice as Nichiren teaches and with the same commitment as he has.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Chanting Growers U - Everyone inovled is priceless

Chanting Growers U - Everyone inovled is priceless

SGI President Daisaku Ikeda's Message
To all the leaders of North America and Oceania who are proudly spearheading kosen-rufu throughout Jambudvipa!

I would like to express my heartfelt admiration for all the efforts you have made for holding such a meaningful training course to expand the fragrant breeze of your great study movement.

Nichiren Daishonin wrote in his famous, "The True Aspect of All Phenomena"-"Exert yourself in the two ways of practice and study. Without practice and study, there can be no Buddhism. You must not only persevere yourself; you must also teach others. Both practice and study arise from faith. Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is only a single sentence or phrase" (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p. 386).

Your practice and study will advance as your faith deepens. Your faith will deepen as your practice and study advance. Benefit arises through this mutuality. Your happiness will also be determined through this synergy. Your eternal fortune will be accumulated in this process.

When I was a member of the youth division, I dedicated myself to having my practice and study trained under my mentor, President Toda. The lectures I received from him on a one-to-one basis, which I now call "Toda University," covered all fields of study, including the study of Nichiren Buddhism. The first writing I studied with President Toda was "The Entity of the Mystic Law," a vital writing of Nichiren Daishonin that expounds the actual proof of the benefit of his Buddhism. Upon completing the study of this writing, President Toda gave me a completion certificate, which I received with a sense of utmost pride and gratitude. I am deeply convinced that this very first certificate I received from President Toda has eventually led to my receipt of honorary titles from 200 top-rated universities throughout the world. I see the principle of cause and effect in this fact.

If you are lacking in the two ways of practice and study, you are like an airplane that flies not only without a sufficient supply of fuel, but also without a clear sense of direction, altitude or destination. Such an airplane will soon go astray and eventually go into a stall. It will easily plummet to the ground when it encounters turbulence.

What is common to those who have backslid in faith and betrayed the Soka Gakkai is the fact that they were not steady and serious, but negligent in their devotion to the two basics of practice and study.

In any case, as Nichiren Daishonin states, "Buddhism primarily concerns itself with victory or defeat" ("The Hero of the World," WND, p. 835). In other words, Buddhism is a struggle to overcome unhappiness and open the way to happiness. Buddhism is also a struggle to defeat evil and establish justice.

I hope you will take total leadership as capable people who will triumph in the battle of "refuting the wicked and enhancing the just." You are so important to me. I hope that through this training course you will become even healthier, further increase your life-force and brilliance, and accelerate your advancement in the unity of "many in body but one in mind."

With this prayer I conclude my message. Please convey my deepest regards to the fellow members of your respective countries.

To all of you whom I respect with all my heart and who are exemplary in the two ways of practice and study!

Daisaku Ikeda
(from: http://www.sgi-usa-study.org/MessageJuly2006.htm)

_____
peace!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Just wanna report, yesterday we did some activities preparing to participate for March 16th. Today we will do the same and support the Youth Division as best we can.

"Our contemporaries think of the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo only as a name, but this is not correct. It is the essence, that is, the heart of the Lotus Sutra. . . . Those who seek the heart of the sutra apart from its title are as foolish as the turtle who sought the monkey's liver outside the monkey, or the monkey who left the forest and sought fruit on the seashore."

Reference:

WND Page 861
Page 859 "This Is What I Heard"
Written to Soya Jiro Hyoe-no-jo Kyoshin on 28 November 1277 from Minobu

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Selection Source: SGI Newsletter No. 7473, LEARNING FROM THE GOSHO:
THE HOPE-FILLED WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN, [4] Become a Winner
in the Real World, from the December 2007 issue of the
Daibyakurenge, the Soka Gakkai study journal

"Encouraging others in faith requires an earnest, all-out effort. It
entails a powerful interaction on the dimension of life itself,
invoking the dynamics of the 'three thousand realms in a single life-
moment' of each person. It is a dedicated challenge in which we
polish our own lives so that we can consolidate our Buddhahood,
while seeking to elevate the lives of our friends so they may do the
same."

"There is absolutely no need for us to pretend in front of the
Gohonzon. We should pray to the Gohonzon just as we are-- with joy
when we're elated, and with sadness when we're feeling down. We
should regard both suffering and joy as facts of life and continue
chanting Nam-myoho-renge- kyo steadfastly to the very end. Through
the vast power of the Mystic Law, all of our prayers form part of
our Buddhist practice. Those who continue to resolutely chant Nam-
myoho-renge- kyo, come what may, will achieve true victory. A person
who chants with this spirit and manifests the power of the Mystic
Law in their lives is truly a 'Buddha in life.'"

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is from "Buddhist Learning for March. Lectures on The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life. SGI President Ikeda's study lecture series. 11. Bodhisattva Superior Practices. Pioneering the Way for Human Victory by Unlocking the Highest Potential of All People." Living Buddhism, March/April 2008. Page 56.

By committing ourselves to the great vow for kosen-rufu, we can manifest our own inherently enlightened life-state. And by taking action with an ungrudging spirit, we can free people from suffering and help them revitalize their lives. These awakened people in turn, through the power of dialogue, can inspire still others, giving them fresh courage and conviction. The stand-alone practice of the first three presidents--united by the bonds of mentor and disciple --is the starting point of the magnificent worldwide spread of our movement for human revolution or inner transformation.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

We had a great rehersal yesterday. My friend that just recieved Shakubuku came and met people he knew from the past at the center this weekend practicing for various groups that are going to perform this sunday. I was very happy to finally realize a greater connection for my friend with others, but this guy is an amazing Buddha and I think very soon he'll start doing soka group and gajokai even though he only has a couple years left in the youth division.

For the event my gf is gonna do a dance with our friend Genie that received Gohonzon not too long ago (with Christopher back in November) and I was asked to be emcee! I really love participating and I'm starting to notice that I usually always get chosen to be emcee in the big meetings, that's pretty cool!

Well my friends, I got a hard test tonight that I have to get an A in, I studied a bit and will go study in a few minutes after I do my evening gongyo early because I need that extra protection tonight.

Even though I been feeling shitty in my relationship yet again (over 2 years and counting) I've been doing remarkably well in alot of other respects so I guess that challenge of balancing my relative happiness in my relationship is just gonna me more daimoku before making more decisions. I trust Gohonzon will present me with what I need and I continue to be the best I can be so that others generals will 'emerge from the earth' and join me.

A very remarkable thing to note in this thread, is every person I shakubukued has introduced others to the practice and have been working on shakubukuing in their lives and refer to me to guidance and answers. Its a big responsibility when you introduce someone to the practice, helps keep you on your toes in your life!

Thanks for all the love my friends, thank you Babba for your encouragement, we're expecting a huge victory my brother, keep holding down the fort for us as best you can, it lets me know we're battling in sync and safe.

Much appreciation and kind regards to all, thanks for your continued support.

"I'm gonna change America, starting with me!"

Peace,
MyohoDisco

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Howdy,

Hope this message finds you well! I'm struggling for success and to overcome all the obstacles I'm fighting against right now. It all about doing the best I can and being cool while doing it right now. I just am thrilled I'm on a daimoku mission right now for a quick million and I'm going to push it to the limit.

So, ok first its important we get updates from Bonzo and Scegy as well as all the others! If you've been busy like socal and I can relate trust me! Everyday I'm on the grind cousin, I just want to have this tangible life that I'm working more efficiently at telling my friends about how I chant for world peace and make the most naturally clever (if that makes sense) way to tell a classmate or coworker or just person out there, hey whats up this is what's keeps me flowing.

I'll end with a strong quote, Thank you!

You, yourself, are a Thus Come One who is originally enlightened and endowed with the three bodies. You should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with this conviction. Then the place where you chant daimoku will become the dwelling place of the treasure tower."

Reference:

WND Page 299
Page 299 On the Treasure Tower
Written to Abutsu-bo on 13 March 1272 from Sado - Tsukihara

ME & YOU ARE THE TREASURE TOWER!!! NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie said:
There may be persons who read this thread because they find it interesting. There may be persons who read this thread because they are interested. There may be persons reading this thread that are trying it now. Chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. At this point, the simple act of doing so is the only act of "faith" that is required. All of the Sutras and Buddhas are inviting you and assuring you that your prayers will absolutely be fulfilled. To begin is easy........all you have to do is try!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud said:
I would highly advise sitting and chanting out loud to everyone. Just try it as a discipline each day . Can you do it ? Can you sit with yourself ? .... yourself and your wife ? .... yourself and your friend ? yourself and a bunch of friends ?
Its so simple once you give it a chance. Chant for everyones happiness, chant for your own happiness, chant for the happiness of all the ppl in the hurricane, they are all the same... they are all you. Just try chanting ... if you dont want to do it in front of anyone then wait till the wife and kids are gone for a bit , chant in the shower, but give it a try. Have an open mind but most of all have faith that when you chant you will bring about positive energy and will put yourself in harmony with everything around you. Have faith in the mystic law... chant the words and just see what good comes back to you . Chant to understand the Lotus Sutra better and you will. Be a positive force in your life and others . Chant for what you need . Make an effort to chant for what will make you happy. Chant for world peace! :woohoo: Chant to feel real good :joint:
Nam myoho renge kyo

Chanting for the missing chanters here today. Been a long time since some of you have posted here ??? not sure whats up??

a blast from the past

All things pass
A sunrise does not last all morning
All things pass
A cloudburst does not last all day
All things pass
Nor a sunset all night

But Earth......sky .....thunder....
wind.....fire.......lake.......
mountain........water
These always change

And if these do not last
Do man's visions last ?
Do man's illusions ?

Take things as they come

All things pass
------------------------------------------------------------
thinking of and missing you all so much.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

scegy

hey chanters!

you asked for an update and here it is :D

i don't have much to tell actually, i'm still chanting, going to groups, working in my fish-eco project, trying to keep understanding my anger, talking to others about Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, and finally
having a deeper meaning in what i do to keep me off the shitty level

it's hard to stay on course, but hey there's no more room for unreasonable doubts and actions, it's just life, gotta learn someday to take it as it is, i'm glad i started

been reading a book lately, "soul travel" by some guy Newman....it's kind off scary when i look out of the window, there's so much beauty that we don't know, so so so so...so...so.. many other ways that humanity could, should, will take

as long as I stay strong, others will follow

a thought on Gohonzon

it sometimes feels like it's too much, then again, having all those jumbo screens everywhere i walk in the city....makes me think that commercials remind us to buy something....gohonzon reminds me about life, every day i look at it.....that's why i think it's a neccesity in these days, althoug it is still very hard for me to stay focused and not imagine myself praying to a piece of paper(yes i still use the copy - waiting on May to come)

whatever makes u a better person is worth of our time me thinks

grab your life!

I've just started sticking my toe in the waters of dharma myself so I was obviously drawn to this thread....I've just started reading asst.texts and writings and would like to start meditating,yoga and walking a more 'righteous path'.
I've learned to not smoke/trip just to 'party' or get wasted,but rather as a stimuli enhancer(i.e. music,creativity,writers block,sex etc.)to make my life better,rather than just 'exist' and sit stagnant thru' life. I abused hard drugs(IV dope/coke)for over 10years and burned many bridges and broke many hearts throughout. After a chance encounter with an old friend,he gave me a 10gram sac of mushrooms as a token of kindness. I took them with little thought until later on that evening,as I laid in bed with my wife sleeping beside me shivering from my withdrawal symptoms.
I hadn't tripped in about 10 years due to my life being focused primarily on chasing my next hit,but I had no hesitation when I impulsively gobbled down all ten grams. I smoked a bowl,turned the lights off and put The 2nd night of the Dead's september '91 run and nestled under the covers to go to sleep.

Needless to say,sleep was NOT in my future and I was quickly hurled into a whirling maelstrom of color and abstract patterning of my thoughts that peaked into a 'rebirthing' of sorts,and I saw my life from birth to that moment unfurl before my third eye. All the mistakes and pain I caused were looked at in an impartial way allowing me to understand them better,without the usual 'poor me' pity party that day-to-day life threw for me(or,rather I did for myself),which proved to be of great value to me. A week later,I began my detox on my own and managed to put that life behind me. I had gone through jail,deaths of loved ones,homelessness,thirty detox and rehab stays,NA etc. etc. all to no avail. Not even the birth of my daughter,Karma Brienne had been able to turn me around.
I know that the psilocybin was a direct catalyst for my change,not by creating something that wasn't there,but instead pulling out those things I had(purposedly)forgotten/repressed.
Why does this relate to your thread? It doesn't really,except that in that single one profound evening I went from a down and out junkie,lousy father and husband to who I am today. That night I experienced what I had only read about,an illumination that came from within and surronded me with an inner peace and state of calm 'being'. Since then,I have wanted to be able to return to that place,not only through tripping but rather through self-disipline and meditation.
If anyone has any suggestions or ideas that can help me find this path be it through reading certain books,texts or practicing different ways to get me to this place.
I apologize if I jacked this thread but my interest is genuine and with good intentions,so what better place to be enlightened then with a bunch of stoners like myself?
Thx again....................

Status
Not open for further replies.