What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Buddhism is not about leading a self-centered existence. If we don not
base our lives on the Law, we are not practicing Buddhism. The German
writer Friedrich von Schiller writes, "The brave man thinks upon
himself the last." This is analogous to the spirit of not begrudging
one's life taught in the Lotus Sutra. This means treasuring the Law
more highly than one's life. The Law and kosen-rufu are central."

Daisaku Ikeda

truck

For those of you who don't know you can get some great lectures and meditations at i-tunes for free...just go to the religion category and look through it. No matter what religion or belief you are I'm sure you can find it.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is from "Lectures on the Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life. SGI President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series. (11) Bodhisattva Superior Practices: Pioneering the Way for Human Victory by Unlocking the Highest Potential of All People", in Living Buddhism March/April 2008. Page 28.

How can we break through the closed, hardened shell of a person's life in the Latter Day of the Law, which as a result of karma and self-absorption often resembles an inhospitable frozen wasteland? And how can we activate people's Buddha nature and awaken them on a fundamental level so that they can transform their lives? This is the endless challenge of our Buddhist practice. And that is why we ourselves must be active and engaged Buddhists who continue to work on our own inner transformation.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Even an ignorant person can obtain blessings by serving someone who expounds the Lotus Sutra. No matter if he is a demon or an animal, if someone proclaims even a single verse or phrase of the Lotus Sutra, you must respect him as you would the Buddha. This is what the sutra means when it says, "You should rise and greet him from afar, showing him the same respect you would a Buddha." You should respect one another as Shakyamuni and Many Treasures did at the ceremony in the "Treasure Tower" chapter."
Reference:

WND Page 757
Page 755 The Fourteen Slanders
Written to Matsuno Rokuro Saemon on 9 December 1276 from Minobu

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is from "Lectures on the Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life. SGI President Ikeda's
Study Lecture Series. (11) Bodhisattva Superior Practices: Pioneering the Way for Human Victory by Unlocking the Highest Potential of All People", in Living Buddhism March/April 2008. Page 51.

Practice for Oneself and Others

The Japanese term jigyo-keta translates into English as "practice for oneself and others." Jigyo, literally "self-practice," refers to the Buddhist practice for personal benefit and the accumulation of wisdom. Keta, literally, "changing others," means instructing and converting others so that they will embrace Buddhist teachings. It means to practice Buddhism in order to benefit others. While it can be considered a general term for the Buddhist spirit of altruism, it should be noted that sharing Buddhism with another person and helping that person carry out their practice is the ultimate intent of Nichiren Buddhism. This practice also ultimately enriches oneself.

Practice for oneself and others should not be considered two distinct practices, but rather two aspects of a bodhisattva's complete practice. Nichiren indicated that the correct practice of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo includes both practice for oneself and practice for others.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Hope all that view this thread are doing great and chanting Daimoku
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Hello everyone,

Good to be back on the thread and hoping all is doing well and receiving the great benefits bestowed on those who practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. "We don't chant daimoku because we are Bodhisatvas of the Earth; we are Bodihsatva's of the Earth because we chant the daimoku." (quote of Nichiren Daishonin)

I really feel at this time I am FINALLYmaking breakthroughs from the chains of my past karma. Thanks to everyone here on the Chanting Growers Group (Universally) to allow us all to share the precepts of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and how this journey in our lifes contributes to not only our eternal absolute happiness but to others as well.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

The beginning of November I started a totally different career; became a Branch Mgr in training for a growing company. December 5th I got my 1st gig at a fairly new branch that had only been open for 3mos prior and wasn't doing to well. I was the only employee. Within 2 1/2 months I increased the volume of this branch 5 times. The company like I said is growing and the the mgr at the most successful branch got a promotion to a District Mgr position over the 16 now branches(goal is 30) so they needed to replace that position. Guess who started in that position last monday???
I immediately doubled my income. Thank you, thank you, thank you Gohonzon!!!!!

Its alot more work (that is why I havnt been as frequent here) as I have 2 girls I supervise and the volume is 11 times the branch I left.

That is just the material manifestation of my benefits; more importantly I feel the Gohonzon has now helped me in connecting to eveyone's Buddha nature that I meet. It started awhile ago in having that prayer to connect better to my wife; now it's my prayer everyday to connect to all.

I had been so arrogant and judgemental without really knowing it; so subtle. But thru my struggles in the last years has made me realize so many things and the key is just sticking thru it no matter how tough things get. Chant, chant, study, chant, chant, shakubuku, chant chant....I still have a long way to go; come along with me!!!

I feel that we are so fortunate to be able to come here and share the Ultimate Truth of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo here at the Chanting Growers Group. I appreciate all.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Last edited:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"It takes courage to become happy -- courage to remain true to one's convictions, courage not to be defeated by one's weaknesses and negativity, courage to take swift action to help those who are suffering."

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"However, people all turn their backs on these sutra passages, and the
world as a whole is completely confuse with regard to the principles of
Buddhism. Why do you persist in following the teachings of evil
friends? T'ien-t'ai said that to accept and put faith in the doctrines
of evil teachers is the same as drinking poison. You should deeply
consider this and beware!"

(WND, 61)
Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra
Recipient unknown; written in March 1263

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Originally, every person's life is a brilliantly shining mirror.
Differences arise depending on whether one polishes this mirror. A
polished mirror is the Buddha's life, whereas a tarnished mirror is
that of a common mortal. Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is what polishes
our lives."

D. Ikeda

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow SoCal thanks so much for sharing a little piece of your life with us. Its so exciting to hear of benefits achieved. So happy for you brother. Thanks for your effort here also. You have been a pillar here for a long time, holding us together when things get slow. Thanks so much !!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Yo Socal Congrats on the Job well done! Dude I've been chanting for your happiness for a bit now and I know even more amazing stuff is on the way. The hardships you have endured in recent years are leading up to amazing things. You can count on my daimoku and support going forward, same goes for the others here.

Today, I'm up in a college town in anytown, usa, and in a couple hours I have my interview!!!! I'm so excited! I've been working so hard at changing my life and really didn't have a big intricate plan when I started chanting at the end of 05, but now just a month away from my 2nd Gohonzon Birthday, I'm walking in a very awesome direction. I had alot of stress this week but on Wednesday my friend Amby received Gohonzon! It was amazing, I even had to seek guidance from the "BigBuddha" because the 3 obstacles and 4 devils were twisting me and jerking me around, but after chanting for the right resolution I asked my friend if he was ready to recieve and he said yes! After the meeting he told me and my gf he loves us and is so happy to have friends like us, that made me feel amazing. I have really been struggling and chanting for his happiness and he is showing me proof by.....

He started to chant a couple weeks ago (maybe 3) and now has a great job offer he is pursuing, this is special because when I met him he was looking to change careers and find happiness. Now he's smiling alot and doing great. This week or next I'll goto his place and enshrine his Gohonzon!! Wooohooo!

I remember when I first chanted with Babba we didn't have a travel Gohonzon but we had a great Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! sign that we chanted to because it reminded us of Gohonzon while we chanted. Today even though I'm so far away from home, my friend Chase is coming with his travel Gohonzon from his college to chant with us after this amazing oppurtunity to solidify my faith and conquer the devil king today, AGAIN! Fundamental Darkness is everywhere but so is Buddhahood. I aspire to chant more and focus more on kosen-rufu like Socal. This movement called the Chanting Growers that we are a part of, is the most special extension of the Daishonin's Buddhism I have encountered. It is an honor to be a member over 2 years going strong on the thread!!!

Thank you Bud, Sceggers, Socal, PTD and all for your continued support! Soon it will be time for Bonzo to give an update, and I'm really looking forward to that! In the meantime, lets keep chanting for the Babbas and for kosen-rufu. When someone askes why your smiling, tell them about the practice, tell them about yourself, YOUR VOICE DOES THE BUDDHA'S WORK! Your life speaks volumes even if you don't seem to think so! How do I know this.... its written in this thread!

here I go amigos, time to take whats mine!!!! Upward and Onward!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another great post by our brother Easy :) Best of luck today friend!!! You are constantly in our chants and your picture sits by Gohonzon. Thanks for all your post they are so inspiring !! wooop forward we go !!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Congrats SoCal! Keep it up!

You are all in my thoughts and prayers every single day.

I bow in obeisance to you all!

T

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Great to see you post up brother. You have been greatly missed. Hope all your loved ones are doing great and all is going well. You are in our daily chants. :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

From "The Writings for Discussion Meetings. Fortifying Our Buddhahood With 'Great Care'." Study for March. In the World Tribune, February 15, 2008. Page 7.

The people around us, our circumstances or our own inner negativity can act as devilish functions. Since these functions can besiege us in various forms, at any time and without notice, the critical point is strengthening our Buddhist faith and practice and deepening our understanding of Buddhism through study. Through such efforts, we can fortify our Buddhahood and take "great care" against any devilish function.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This is from Writing for Discussion Meetings. Fortifying Our Buddhahood With 'Great Care." In the World Tribune, February 15, 2008. Page 7.

To take "great care" is to uphold the great vow to dedicate one's life to spread the Law. When we live true to this vow, we keep the devil king at bay and can bring forth the same expansive life state as Nichiren--a life state of absolute joy.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Thank you for your continued daimoku, it is really making a huge difference in my life and i have really needed the protection, for real! The interview was a complete success best of my life, i loved the school. It would be awesome to start an Chanting group up there or perhaps at one of the other two choices geographically much closer to me. Truth be told, I was nervous as heck all last week, really edgy but things fell into place, I could recognize it this time as fundamental darkness and not really get swayed but then again here I am writing this after wasting my evening when I gotta study but honestly I just spaced out and got nothing accomplished. At this point its time for bed, but my friends I gonna feel better the second I wake up because tomorrow again I'll take full advantage of the guidance I follow and strengthen my bond with Gohonzon.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts