What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
March 16

March 16

Following is an excerpt from SGI President Daisaku Ikeda’s essay, “The Magnificent Ceremony on March 16″ (World Tribune 3/27/98).

I have fulfilled my vow to my mentor.
I have fulfilled my vow to my fellow members.
I have fulfilled all the objectives I pledged to achieve.

On that day, when we gathered at the foot of Mount Fuji, we entered a new stage in the progress of kosen-rufu.
It was a cold day. The grand peak of Fuji looked down on us from above, serenely witnessing the event.
The ceremony on March 16 was exhilarating. Mr. Toda announced that he was passing the baton of kosen-rufu to the youth division.

On that day in 1958, some 6,000 young disciples gathered with their mentor, Josei Toda, whose life was quietly ebbing away. Everyone celebrated that landmark day with joy and excitement. Brave young men and women dedicated to kosen-rufu had assembled from all over Japan. They shook hands, patted each other on the shoulder, and talked and laughed together. It was a joyful vision of future triumph.
Four decades of indestructible achievement have passed since that day.

On March 1, Mr. Toda said to me: “The rest will be up to you, Daisaku. I’m counting on you.” A few days later, he made a suggestion: “Let’s conduct a ceremony that will serve as a trial run — a dress rehearsal — for kosen-rufu, in preparation for the future.” Mr. Toda knew that he would never rise again, never again stand at the head of the march for kosen-rufu, directing its advance.

Nichiren Daishonin writes: “Life is limited, and we must not begrudge it. What we should aspire to, after all, is the Buddha land” (The Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 5, p. 132).
March 16 was a ceremony to eternally honor and pay tribute to the selfless spirit of Mr. Toda, who had lived in complete accord with these words of the Daishonin, and to pass that legacy on to the next generation.

At the proud ceremony, Mr. Toda declared: “The Soka Gakkai is the king of the religious world.” This impassioned cry, this lion’s roar, is engraved forever in my being. At that moment, I vowed in my heart to see to it that the Soka Gakkai would indeed be king. “King of the religious world” means king of the realms of thought and philosophy. The Chinese character for king is written with three horizontal strokes, one above the other, intersected by one vertical stroke. Here are the “three” of the third month, March, and the “one” of 16. Where is the six? It is represented by the 6,000 Ganges rivers who would follow in their wake. For us, the great ceremony on March 16 showed clear proof that “the assembly at Eagle Peak has not yet dispersed” (Gosho Zenshu, p. 757).

On April 2, 1958, 17 days after the ceremony on March 16, Mr. Toda’s noble life came to an end. March 16 had been a farewell ceremony, the passing of the baton.
Forty years have passed since then. In that time, the Soka Gakkai has soared to become the king of thought, the king of human rights, the king of peace.

The comrades who have struggled by my side over the years are all living wonderful lives of triumph and good fortune. I will always honor these noble friends, through all time.

Disciples are those who carry out the mentor’s teachings. Disciples are those who fulfill their vows. I have done these things, and that is my greatest pride.
Nichiren Daishonin writes, “If you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present” (MW-2 [2nd ed.], 172). A powerful determination and our actions in the present moment determine the future. March 16 is the eternal starting point of true cause, when all disciples stand up to be counted. For me, each day is a day of fresh commitment, each day is March 16.

Today, the rising sun tints the great mountain range of the 21st century. Following the model of March 16, I have passed the baton of the Soka Gakkai spirit completely to the youth. Soon, yes, soon, their time for glory will be here.
March is the time when trees and shrubs begin to parade their fresh greenery and their lovely new blossoms. Youth, whom I will always love and trust, the 21st century is yours. Your time has come. It has, inexorably, begun.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Be sure to strengthen your faith, and receive the protection of the
Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, and the Buddhas of the ten directions.
Exert yourself in the two ways of practice and study. Without practice
and study, there can be no Buddhism. You must not only persevere
yourself; you must also teach others. Both practice and study arise
from faith. Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is
only a single sentence or phrase.

(WND, 386)
The True Aspect of All Phenomena
Written to Sairen-bo Nichijo on May 17, 1273

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"This lifetime will never come again; it is precious and irreplaceable.
To live without regret, it is crucial for us to have a concrete purpose
and continually set goals and challenges for ourselves. It is equally
important that we keep moving toward specific targets steadily and
tenaciously, one step at a time."

Daisaku Ikeda

G

SoCal Hippy said:

Daisaku Ikeda

much easier said then done but what i try to do every day i wake up.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Whats up my friends, family and loved ones,

Whats up my friends, family and loved ones,

Welcome Back Baja! I enjoy the bajasauce or mild chipotle in my tacos or burritos! I'm guessing your an up and coming chanting grower, well embracing this philosophy changed my life, i hope you squeeze some benefit from enjoying this thread as well. Personally all the awesome quotes posted here everyday really just give us a boost then when i log off from icmag I really feel better than when i logged on. Plus our interaction on the thread proves the reality behind the words! Very fascinating indeed.

Started smoking again recently the most amazing harvest of my life, its still early (4-5days quick dry) but daimoku is the key to optimizing your buds! Golly, things are sticky and stinky around these parts, I'll be away at the end of next week, I got my first interview at one of the three ivy league schools i'm applying to, i know the best thing for kosen-rufu will be the outcome so I'm just enjoying the ride!

So from one of Nichiren Daishonin's disciples to you: Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

"Nam-myoho-renge-kyo will be your staff to take you safely over the mountains of death. The Buddhas Shakyamuni and Many Treasures, as well as the four bodhisattvas headed by Superior Practices, will lead you by the hand on your journey. If I, Nichiren, precede you in death, I will come to meet you at your last moment. If you should precede me, I will be sure to tell King Yama all about you. Everything that I tell you is true. According to the Lotus Sutra, Nichiren is the guide who knows the passes and gorges along the way"

Reference:

WND Page 451
Page 451 The Swords of Good and Evil
Written to Hojo Yagenta on 21 February 1274 from Sado - Ichinosawa

J

jipedestran

SoCal Hippy said:

Daisaku Ikeda

Wow, Wow, and Wow for this whole Thread.

I quoted the above, because it is easy to reference. (Thanks SoCalHippy)

First, congrats to DutchGrown and Gypsy for the positive result.

I do not classify myself when it comes to Metaphysics. I am no religous scholar, but do have a bit of background with Philosophy. I have never studied any Eastern Religions.

I just learned that though I do not chant, I am an active and living Buddhist.
Ever since 1997, I have believed that we need to live for happiness, to bring positivity to the world, and if our work could reflect that; so much the better.
It also took me till that time in my life to realize that you can plan and reach almost anything you put your mind to.

To tie this into the site, this occured ten years into my cannabis using history. I know my realization came as a result of my own being and my own upbringing, all the parts that influenced who I am. It also was the result of outside influence of life, those great events that occur way beyond our power or control. In my case, it was my best friend (brother is easier as I am an only child) becoming injured. The day after he got married, he broke his neck and has been in a wheelchair with limited use of his arms since then.
That broke me down and made me realize what life should be about.

Since then, that un-named until now for me philosophy has guided me. It has resulted in the opening of a business (completely legal and helpful to the public with medical problems), growing super kind bud for me and my wife for the past ten years, working to better my relationship with my wife and partner for life, and even planning to walk the 2200 mile Appalachian Trail.

Funny that I found a name for what I do on IC. Karma walks.

peace
jip

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Jipedestran so glad to see your seeking spirit has brought you to the "Chanting Growers Thread". Its our hope that you will give chanting a try. This has been a wonderous thread and experience for many of us. Please spend some time reading the thread and hopefully chanting a bit. This thread also gave a name to my beliefs and has been a great source of strength for my family. Hope to see you drop in again. Wish I had a bit more time .. work calls. Hope to see you soon :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo Like the Roar of the Lion !!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Whats up; Mr.&MrsBabbabud, Socal, GeorgiaLouwho, Bonzo, PTD, Baccas, Bart, DG, Gy&SG,

Whats up; Mr.&MrsBabbabud, Socal, GeorgiaLouwho, Bonzo, PTD, Baccas, Bart, DG, Gy&SG,

I second babba's motion, WELCOME jipedestran!!! We're all "seeking spirits" on this thread and trying to associate brute facts and truth with our life experiences to culminate in a realistic lifestyle (Buddhism). This Buddhism is very different from all the other sects I've read upon and studied, the major differences that quickly come to mind are: 1)Only one rule: Just chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo! 2)Totally modern No Bullshit Peace & Happiness Movement 3)The coolest people I know chant 4) NO Priests No BS NO Homhum theories leading to no where = ONLY RESULTS!

Also this is NOT SELF-HELP but it is in my opinion akin to tapping into the collective consciousness of mankind and living your life to its fullest potential! Easier said than done, but through chanting, exploring this thread, meeting other chanters, and sharing your results with your environment, friends, and family enlightenment is on the way (and surely it will be tailor made for you just as this life is and your goals and dreams are just tailor made for you!). I chant for everything and anything my heart desires, the results really are accelerated because I try my best to help others consistently and try and support any person I can in anyway. Living this way helps sustain happiness in my life! I've had a really rough and rocky week and I'm also anticipating some huge breakthroughs in my life so lets see where the chips fall but I'm confident my determination to succeed in sharing this amazing practice with others is the way I supposed to be going right now and this "Middle Way" provides loads of answers and reasons to seemingly paradoxical situations!

With Sound Arguments, Substantiating Sound Guidance and Encouragement, you too could enjoy the life experience of chanting the Lion's Roar of

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

"Though this mandala has but five or seven characters, it is the teacher of all Buddhas throughout the three existences and the seal that guarantees the enlightenment of all women. It will a lamp in the darkness of the road to the next world and a fine horse to carry you over the mountains of death. It is like the sun and moon in the heavens or Mount Sumeru on earth. It is a ship to ferry people over the sea of the sufferings of birth and death. It is the teacher who leads all people to Buddhahood and enlightenment."
Reference:

WND Page 414
Page 414 On Offering Prayers to the Mandala of the Mystic Law
Written to Sennichi-ama in 1273 from Sado - Ichinosawa

*Mandala= Gohonzon*

Last edited:

Hitman

Hi everyone! Welcome jipedestran!

Tomorrow I'm facilitating the meeting. My District Leader asked me if I would. It will be a first time. I'm honored and nervous!

Discussion questions:

What actions can we take as boddhisatvas to help re-vitalize our lives?

What is the best way to overcome stagnation?

Last edited:
E

EasyMyohoDisco

Hitman said:
Hi everyone! Welcome jipedestran!

Tomorrow I'm facilitating the meeting. My District Leader asked me if I would. It will be a first time. I'm honored and nervous!

Discussion questions:

What actions can we take as boddhisatvas to help re-vitalize our lives?

What is the best way to overcome stagnation?

Hey Hitman,

Glad to see you posting! Good luck on the meeting, I know you'll knock one outta the park! Well I like these questions, here are my answers:

1) As a Bodhisattva of the Earth, its very important for me to support others in A) Finding out about this Buddhism B) Support the new introductions I make by sharing guidance, experiences, inviting them to meetings, making followup calls, and strengthening bonds and connections. C) Inspire, Support, and speak candidly to existing members about anything and everything, The only thing I shy away from is my marijuana lifestyle because that is very very personal here in the states. D) Chanting consistently everyday rain or shine!

2) Gongyo twice a day, chanting daimoku more than an hour a day as well. Its very important to keep the connection open with Gohonzon otherwise you start lagging in other aspects of your life, as recently proven by me all week and today with constant 'hiccups' or bumps in the road to success. Either way even one daimoku could revitalize you but its recommended in my humble opinion to always chant more and shoot for more daimoku. Reading Goshos morning and night keep the fire burning inside!!!! Going to school also makes me feel like I will surpass my expectations in life and actually earn an awesome college diploma by going to school and not have people offer me free diplomas without attending to the required coursework and curriculum. Positive moves go a long long way, which reminds me....

I gotta get busy and moving, I wish everyone all the best and a Happy New year!

Peace,
MyohoDisco

Hitman

Thank you very much EasyMyohoDisco! It is great to see and hear your words!

This Hits for you! Never Ceasing to Help Others! Nam Myoho Renge Kyo! Heritage of Human Life.

Hitman

PTD, and anybody else, must ask my warriors how I can read about "Never Ceasing to Help Others" Jan. World Tribune

And the Gosho Page 218, Vol I Writings of Nichiren Diashonin.

I know you have written it but I don't know where to find it. Wish I could make it appear from a quick index.

Thanks everyone,

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, Sincerely to you all

I don't feel up for this -Sanshoshima-has closed all outlets at the moment. I have to get me life back on track and smooth out again. I know I need this but I'm fighting it for some awful reason.

Me

Hitman

How nice it was. People making people feel good. Lot's of Hope. Lots of Daimoku. Postive experience from experienced members. Honest Faith. Automatic actual proof. Believe I went from not wanting to go to feeling positive. Stirring up one's buddha nature is so vital and so necessary.

This next hits for you all!

Hitman

Good morning,

Just fought back and motivated myself to do daimoku, morning gongyo and more daimoku. Nothing compared to you big guns, just a several minutes, but it's a start. Have to avoid stagnation and beat those devils back. Coming up on a hard week, let's persevere together. You are in my heart. The cold gives us color and we must cherish it! "I want to change so bad" she said as she choked back the tears. When one comes in contact with one's buddha nature it is wonderous! A-A-O!

Hitman

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Mr. Toda once said:
We use the word self [to refer to ourselves], but this word actually refers to the universe. When we ask how the life of the universe is different from the life of each one of you, the only differences we find are those of our bodies and minds. Your life and that of the universe are the same.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doing very well here Hitman .. thankyou so much for the great Daimoku!!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

"Muster your faith, and pray to the Gohonzon. Then what is there that cannot be achieved!"

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
No matter how humble a person may be, if his wisdom is the least bit
greater than yours, you should ask him about the meaning of the sutra.
But the people in this evil age are so arrogant, prejudiced, and
attached to fame and profit that they are afraid that, should they
become the disciple of a humble person or try to learn something from
him, they will be looked down upon by others. They never rid themselves
of this wrong attitude, so they seem to be destined for the evil paths.

(WND, 757)
The Fourteen Slanders
Written to the lay priest Matsuno Rokuro Saemon on December 9, 1276

Status
Not open for further replies.