What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

DharmaDawg

EasyMyohoDisco said:
I was honestly taken aback after reading today's exchange, marijuana or not, I'm gonna go cut down a premature branch and medicate a little and keep chanting for all my amigos here. I'm so united with you all that it hurts me to know even for an instant I couldn't be there to alleviate some pain but heck without our colorful expiriences and the sharing we do here, this thread would not be what it truly is.]

Thank you easy I couldnt have said it better myself! I agree there is alot of tension and it is the fundamental darkness rearing its ugly head. If G and I can have a cup of coffee together what is causing all the tension here on the thread? I guess it all just makes for great dialogue.

Hey T. I'm not quite sure what all is going down. I dont mean any disrespect I just think we all need to have alot more compassion for each other and be focused on encouraging and supporting each other. I do not think that your concern for me and G is not authentic nor do I disbelieve or unappreciate the amount of Daimoku sent our way. From my heart it is appreciated and felt. But I do think your being hard on G. I just dont think she said anything that was offensive, judgemental, manipulative, or anything else that should have caused such a reaction from you. I'm am really sadened by what is happening here. I Just think we should be able to embrace each other and our stories and our experiences without judgement.

In my studies of the Lotus Sutra, I read this today and and wanted to share a couple of paragraphs.

"If there are monks, nuns, laymen, or laywomenwho seek to become voice-hearers, seek to become pratyekabuddhas, or seek the bodhisattva way, one must not trouble them by causing them to have doubts or regrets, by saying to them, " you are far removed from the way and in the end will never be able to attain wisdom embracing all species. Why? Because you are self-indulgent and willful people who are negligent of the way!"

"Also one should never engage in frivolous debate over the various doctrines or dispute or wrangle over them. With regard to all living beings one should think of them with great compassion. With regard to the Thus Come Ones, think of them as kindly fathers; with regard to the bodhisattvas, think of them as great teachers. Toward the great bodhisattvas of the ten directions at all times maintain a serious mind, paying them due reverence and obeisance. To all living beings preach the law in an equitable manner. Because a person is heedful of the law, that does not mean one should vary the amount of preaching. Even to those who show a profound love for the Law one should not on that account preach at greater length."

I hope we can all move forward and support our higher mission of Kosen-Rufu and compassionate commerodery. We should all be able to express ourselves freely even when it brings up negativity and stirs the pot. And thats's all I have to say about that!!! :rant:

:wave: Greetings All

How aware are we of our own inner life, our spirituality--something so intangible yet so priceless? How much effort do we make to perceive that which is not obvious, which can neither be seen nor heard? I believe the exploration and enrichment of the human spirit is what determines our very humanity. Such enrichment provides an inner compass that can lead civilizations to greatness.~D. Ikeda

A Buddhist scripture states that "the voice does the Buddha's work." The voice has the power to convey one's compassion for another. No matter how much you care, the sentiment alone will not communicate itself. When your feelings are conveyed in words, your voice will have the immense power to move another person's heart.~ D. Ikeda

The heart of one person moves another's. ... If one's own heart is closed, then the doors of other people's hearts will also shut tight. On the other hand, someone who makes all those around him or her into allies, bathing them in the sunlight of spring, will be treasured by all.~Daisaku Ikeda

It is much more valuable to look for the strengths in others—you gain nothing by criticizing people's imperfections.
~D. Ikeda

So Be it, Will it so...Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GeorgialouWho

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

Last edited:
:wave:

A translation of President Ikeda's "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun.

MONDAY, February 4th, 2008

-- TO MY FRIENDS --
The Daishonin states, "Myo means to revive, (that is, to return to life.)"* Let's live out our lives based on the Mystic Law, and draw forth the power and strength to live from the very depth of our lives. Let's be absolutely determined to play out great victorious dramas of human life!

* "The Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra" - WND-I, page 149

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GeorgialouWho

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Let's take a step back.....

Let's take a step back.....

EasyMyohoDisco said:
THE PREMIER VEHICLE FOR THE TRANSMISSION OF THE MYSTIC LAW OF CAUSE AND EFFECT THROUGHOUT THE ONLINE CANNAVERSE! Can I get a "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!"!!! Yes sir and madam!

"NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO!!!"

Loved your post MyohoD, that took alot of time and effort and had great meaning and encouragement. That was great! Thank you.

With my experience with this internet now going over 20yrs, I have seen it happen time and time again; my own experience and the experience of others where when we have emotional dialogue it can sometimes do more damage than good. What I am saying is that typewritten words does not always convey the whole picture of someone's true intent or message and many misunderstandings occur.

GeorgialouWho [B said:
"A Buddhist scripture states that "the voice does the Buddha's work." The voice has the power to convey one's compassion for another. No matter how much you care, the sentiment alone will not communicate itself. When your feelings are conveyed in words, your voice will have the immense power to move another person's heart."[/B]~ D. IkedaQUOTE]

I truly believe this is what happened recently and I am sorry for that. Of course the best case scenario is to have face to face dialogue; but of course that is almost impossible under these circumstances so I would hope in the future as MyohoD suggested that it can be taken by PM until it can be resolved or if at all possible by a personal telephone call.

I will truly chant for everyone; all so valuable bodhisatvas in our mission to help others and ourselves to gain true happiness IN THIS LIFETIME!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
:wave:

Last edited:
Attaining enlightenment does not require us to become anything other than a human being; it is recognizing our own true value and worth exactly as we are. By being true to ourselves, we can become happy. Only we know what it is that makes us happy and only we know when we are making efforts to make ourselves happy. Comparing ourselves with others only leads to a sense of inferiority or superiority. By focusing on surpassing our own limitations--without focusing on what others are doing--we will find it much easier to grow. No matter how much we try to become like someone else, we can only be ourselves.

Each one of us plays a valuable role in society and in the movement toward world peace. "Buddhism teaches that all things have a unique beauty and mission. Every person has a singular mission, his or her individuality and way of life. That is the natural order of thins" (Faith into Action, p. 140). The SGI is an organization where each of us is free to express ourselves in our own unique way, while striving to accomplish world peace. For the SGI to work as an organization for the people, it has to be made up of many different types of people. "Total revolution will be achieved only when people with all sorts of characters and talents fully live us to their abilities as they scale the peak of kosen-rufu on into the coming century" (Selected Lectures on the Gosho, vol. 1, p. 155).

The SGI is based on the concept of "many in body, one in mind." This represents the many different individuals that make up the SGI and our combined efforts or determination to accomplish world peace. Our mission is to learn to appreciate the differences in each individual, while striving to achieve the common goal of kosen-rufu. Nichiren Daishonin uses the analogy of fish in water to explain the unity of "many in body, one in mind." President Ikeda explains further, "‘To become inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim is to realize that our existence flourished within, and even depends on, the beautiful tapestry of human relationships woven together with the people around us" (Selected Lectures on the Gosho, vol. 1, p. 155).

Everyone has a specific role to play in society. Our mission as Buddhists is discovering what that role is and challenging ourselves to go beyond our limitation. When we make these daily efforts, we will be contributing to kosen-rufu as individuals and as Buddhas.
Living Buddhism
March 2001
Page 6
By Willie Mack
Based on Yasashii Kyogaku (Easy Buddhist Study) published by the Seikyo Press in 1994.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GeorgialouWho :wave:

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Feeling a bit in the middle of all this. Ive got alot of stuph on my plate I need to be chanting about. I love all you guys!! Ill be away for a bit.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I don't know what the score would be if anyone does that sort of thing but I'll tell you what ole DAIROKUTEN-NO-MAO is kicking ass here and taking names!

devil king of the sixth heaven
[第六天の魔王] ( Jpn dairokuten-no-mao )
Also, devil king or heavenly devil. The king of devils, who dwells in the highest or the sixth heaven of the world of desire. He is also named Freely Enjoying Things Conjured by Others, the king who makes free use of the fruits of others' efforts for his own pleasure. Served by innumerable minions, he obstructs Buddhist practice and delights in sapping the life force of other beings. One of the four devils. See also devil; four devils; Heaven of Freely Enjoying Things Conjured by Others.
`buddhist dictionary

The sentence that struck me the most is; "served by innumerable minions, he obstructs Buddhist practice and delights in sapping the life force of other beings."

I will be chanting for ALL because we ALL have alot of stuff on our plate and this is not time to be getting caught up in some BS that we all know is BS; there is too much at stake! This is the crucial moment how many times has that quote been posted on here. Be good humans....

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GeorgialouWho

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
You must never think that any of the eighty thousand sacred teachings
of Shakyamuni Buddha's lifetime or any of the Buddhas and bodhisattvas
of the ten directions and three existences are outside yourself. Your
practice of the Buddhist teachings will not relieve you of the
sufferings of birth and death in the least unless you perceive the true
nature of your life.

(WND, 3)
On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime
Written to Toki Jonin in 1255

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"I hope that you will always speak the truth boldly, saying what needs
to be said no matter whom you're addressing. When it comes to
championing a just cause, you must never be cowardly, never fawn, never
try to curry favor."

Daisaku Ikeda

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Babbabud said:
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Feeling a bit in the middle of all this. Ive got alot of stuph on my plate I need to be chanting about. I love all you guys!! Ill be away for a bit.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Dude we're chanting everyday here, everyday for you and yours. Take that to the bank!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

[I]Life's Innate Good and Evil[/I]

Concerning the nature of good and evil, Nichiren Daishonin writes; " Good and evil have bben inherent in life since time without beginning...the heart of the Lotus School is the doctrine of of three thousand realms in a single moment of life, which reveals that both good and evil are inherent even in those at the highest stage of perfect enlightenment. The fundamental nature of enlighenment manifests itself as Brahma and Shakra, whereas the fundamental darkness manifests itself as the devil king of the 6th Heaven" (WND 1113) Nichiren explains that all people are endowed with surpreme good and evil, as well as the possible life states in between. We can either be godly as "Brahma and Shakra" or as devilish as the "devil king."
Good and evil, in other words, are innate, inseparable aspects of life This Buddhist concept is called the "oneness of good and evil" This teaching, however, does not mean that evil is good nor does it imply that the distinction between good and evil is irrevelent. Instead, it teaches us to perceive and triumph over evil inside-thereby conquering evil on the outside-through confidence in the universal goodness of life.

Buddhism in a New Light Shin Yatomi

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GeorgialouWHo :wave:

[I]Life's Innate Good and Evil[/I]

Concerning the nature of good and evil, Nichiren Daishonin writes; " Good and evil have bben inherent in life since time without beginning...the heart of the Lotus School is the doctrine of of three thousand realms in a single moment of life, which reveals that both good and evil are inherent even in those at the highest stage of perfect enlightenment. The fundamental nature of enlighenment manifests itself as Brahma and Shakra, whereas the fundamental darkness manifests itself as the devil king of the 6th Heaven" (WND 1113) Nichiren explains that all people are endowed with surpreme good and evil, as well as the possible life states in between. We can either be godly as "Brahma and Shakra" or as devilish as the "devil king."
Good and evil, in other words, are innate, inseparable aspects of life This Buddhist concept is called the "oneness of good and evil" This teaching, however, does not mean that evil is good nor does it imply that the distinction between good and evil is irrevelent. Instead, it teaches us to perceive and triumph over evil inside-thereby conquering evil on the outside-through confidence in the universal goodness of life.

Buddhism in a New Light Shin Yatomi

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GeorgialouWHo :wave:

continuing from Buddhism in a New Light by Shin Yatomi:

In the context of Nichiren's teaching, good means the "fundamental nature of enlightenment: or absolute freedom and happiness resulting from profound self knowledge. Evil indicates the "fundamental darkness" or life's innate delusion negating the potential of enlightenment and causing suffering for oneself and others. This inner darkness echoes with the despair that our lives are ugly and meaningless; it drives a wedge of fear that splits the hearts of people into "us" and "them." Nichiren's concept of good and evil in this sense, may be better understood as the dynamic, innate workings of life that become manifest or dormant, rather that the external moral codes determined by cultural and social conditions.

With Daimoku,

GeorialouWho :wave:

MONDAY, February 4th, 2008

--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is like the roar of a lion. What sickness can therefore be an obstacle? It is written that those who embrace the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra will be protected by the Mother of Demon Children and by the ten demon daughters."

(Reply to Kyo'o- The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 412)
Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, February 4th, 2008

Nobody protects like a MOTHER and THE SISTERS!
With Daimoku,

Georgialouwho

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
“In the ‘Simile and Parable’ chapter of the Lotus Sutra, it is taught: ‘In that land bodhisattvas will be looked on as a great treasure.’ (The Lotus Sutra, p. 52). The most precious treasure of any land is not its vain celebrities or its arrogant rulers. The supreme treasure is bodhisattvas who work steadfastly for the happiness of others and for peace and justice in the midst of the turbulent and troubled real world. This is all of you. You are these bodhisattvas, the equals of Buddhas, the ‘treasure of treasures,’ protected and praised in lifetime after lifetime…”

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Buddhism teaches the principle of cherry, plum, peach and damson, that all things have a unique beauty and mission. Every person has a singular mission, his or her individuality and way of life. That is the natural order of things."

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Between cause and effect, cause is primary. That is "Hon'nin-myo,"

Between cause and effect, cause is primary. That is "Hon'nin-myo,"

..."Original cause and original effect" in this passage are the same
as "true cause" and "true effect." The "Life Span" chapter of the
essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra overturns the concept of
Buddhahood stated in the pre-Lotus Sutra teachings as well as those
of the first half, or theoretical teaching, of the Lotus Sutra. Later
in the same letter, Nichiren Daishonin refers to the "true cause" of
the Buddha's enlightenment, stating, "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the heart
of the "Life Span" chapter, is the mother of all Buddhas" (WND, 184).

Nichiren Daishonin's teaching is known as the "Buddhism of the True
Cause" because it elucidates the fundamental Law or principle by
which all Buddhas attain their original enlightenment and by which
all people can become Buddhas.

What does this principle of "true cause mean" to us ordinary
practitioners of Nichiren Buddhism? Nichiren Daishonin quotes the
Contemplation on the Mind-Ground Sutra: "If you want to understand
the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are
manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results
will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in
the present" (WND, p. 279).

In one sense, how we approach life and our Buddhist practice depends
on whether we have a perspective of "true effect" or "true cause." A
perspective of "true effect," only sees enlightenment, or happiness,
a result of past causes. From the perspective of "true cause,"
enlightenment, or happiness, is an ever-present potential; the cause
for bringing it forth can only be made right now, in the present
moment. The moment we make the "true cause," enlightenment reveals
itself.

From the standpoint of the mystic principle of true cause (Jpn hon'in-
myo) past, present and future exist fully in this moment. We cannot
change the past, yet there is no reason to let it bind or restrict
us. All of us face setbacks, disappointments and crises from time to
time, but whatever our circumstances or our past, by chanting Nam-
myoho-renge-kyo with a strong resolve, we are creating a brilliant
future in this moment. The wisdom of Buddhahood emerges within us and
informs our thoughts and actions. The true cause for enlightenment
and the true effect of enlightenment are fully present at each moment
as we exert ourselves in faith and practice.

Regarding the spirit of true cause, SGI President Ikeda said in a
dialogue with young people, "The past is the past and the future is
the future. You should keep moving forward with a steady eye on the
future, telling yourself, `I'll start from today!' `I'll start afresh
from now, from this moment!' This is the essence of Nichiren
Daishonin's Buddhism of True Cause, the spirit of starting from the
present moment. This is the heart of our daimoku"

(World Tribune,November 1, 1996, p. 11).

SoCal thanks for keeping it going with such great encouragement and most profound posts. Just wanted to let everyone know that we are chanting sunday at dharma dawgs; 5 hours; from 7a-12p our time and will be chanting for unity, clarity, healing and deep gratitude for everyone on this thread and beyond.
Also wanted to share that my Aunt who has never chanted and doesn't have an interest really but 'supports' told me the other day "well i know you are doing so good g because of your chanting; there's no other reason for it." i know that is a great a profound success! for me for my family and for her especially. She has a daughter who is going thru a similar situation and things are very ugly so she said she's going to tell her she should start chanting. This is so profound this is how kosen rufu is to unfold; a third will practice; a third will support; and a third don't care either way meaning there is no opposition to the practice whatsoever.

So be it, Will it so...Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GeogialouWho :headbange

E

EasyMyohoDisco

GeorgialouWho said:
This is so profound this is how kosen rufu is to unfold; a third will practice; a third will support; and a third don't care either way meaning there is no opposition to the practice whatsoever.

So be it, Will it so...Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

GeogialouWho :headbange

Shakubuku in my humble opinion cannot be accurately described in numbers. I have been hearing people say the same quote in the SGI including on this thread since I began to really get into the practice. Its sounds very nice and coincides with a glass half full reality but I'm just beginning to doubt the numbers. Assuming their is a mathematical system yet to be discovered that incorporates the Mystic Law and its infinitesimal properties and permeations, or the True Cause precipitating what we know as reality, I personally feel that not even the M-Theorists or the Super-string theorists using the most advanced mathematical equations have yet to even prove what they consider 11-dimensions or rather 10+1 (doesn't that ten sound like the ten directions, ie. Buddhas and Bodhisattvas of the Ten Directions). Essentially these philosophical, mathematical, scientific genius in recent history (the last 10,000+ years) have really accelerated our understanding of Mappo Exponentially but we just so happen to know Nichiren laid it out perfectly and flawlessly.

But then I begin to wonder about our Population explosion, and remember after World War II in america, the birth of the baby-boomers led to a population explosion, lets begin to consider the 6+billion people and the nature of this planet as running ragged on a depleted state, it seems only logical that the Humanistic approach we all share is the basis for the continued existence and expiation of all the counter-productive/progressive properties (at the very least in a conquered form) in our physical realm could sustain physical life indefinitely yet the devil of the 6th heaven collectively countermands these lofty principles. So then let me just consider something; if when I'm chanting in front of Gohonzon and Nichiren, Nikko, Sensei Toda my grandparents everyone is inside of me, I'm in my Buddhastate, I'm contemplating how I could do my best; there is only answer to the universal question I sing it everyday, daimoku and gongyo. Kosen-rufu via Shakubuku.

Well the universe consists of images we believe we're seeing and fundamentals we believe to be true, consistently we prove ourselves wrong but I just want to say that in our current state of existence there is room to think what you wanna think and do what you wanna do and say what you wanna say and imagine what you want to imagine. How then could anything have a conceivable limit, wouldn't it be a self imposed limit due to self-awareness and self-creation. Principles that mimic Buddhism yet disregard the underlying reality of infinite possibilities and infinite perceptions and behold, The True Cause, The Mystic Law the underlying fabric goes beyond belief and wisdom. We can also offer The Mystic law is inherent in all even the other dimensions science envisions because it truly is the underlying fabric of all, so then how could billions of humans, googles and scores of everything in this world and others not be consistant with that reality as well? I offer my friends that 100% of the universe which is Eagle Peak, Nirvana, Heaven, ShangriLa, ClubMed, Hedonism, you name it is 100% full of objects, people and things that are 100% consistent with The Mystic Law. But isn't that here and now, right where you sit or stand?

I digress, its awesome we have a numerical goal (for shakubuku and compassionate understanding by other) but what if all the numbers are One number and you could bend that number, couldn't you begin to bend the three thirds of practitioners, cool folk and unbelievers to 100% either way, because each one compared to the other creates a duality among the populations; intent, belief, perception, reality! How come we set goals, I think its to propell ourselves to achievement, why use numbers to understand the sweet song and dance of the universe, because in our present forms it WORKS! I love that I've been inspired to shakubuku a third of the world, but my Buddhawisdom tells me its closer to 100% (the whole number 1) the entire world that I'm destined and working on shakubukuing.

Leadership or not, we must chose to create the reality which we perceive to be true. With or without Science or Math, there is still Buddhism, the truth of Buddhawisdom permeates every reality.

Thank you G for that quote, it sparked alot of thought, I'm still wondering about things I can't even use words to describe right now but I gotta run to class and so I better get up and shake my ass. Hope Everyone makes the best of today with what they got!!!!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts