What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Year of Capable People and Development has begun. In a letter to the lay nun Ueno, the mother of Nanjo Tokimitsu, the Daishonin writes"

"'After hearing it [this teaching of the Lotus Sutra]' strive even more earnestly in faith. One who, on hearing the teachings of the Lotus Sutra, makes even greater efforts in faith is a true seeker of the way. (WND-1, 457)

The Daishonin constantly urges us to exert ourselves 'even more,' 'more and more,' and 'more than ever.' It is important that we strive for kosen-rufu with the strong and determined spirit to make even greater efforts with every passing year of our Buddhist practise. When we advance with faith based on this spirit of “true cause'--the spirit of always moving forwards from this moment on--capable people will appear and grow, and kosen-rufu will develop exponentially."

SGI Newsletter No. 7440, SGI President Ikeda’s New Year’s Message, The Foundations for Worldwide Kosen-rufu Are Complete, translated Dec. 26th, 2007

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"True human greatness is measured by how many capable people a person has fostered. Chinese premier Zhou Enlai (1898-1976) emphasised that young people only grow if their seniors personally see to fostering and training them. Buddhism values face-to-face, one-to-one dialogue. The key to fostering and training others is to meet with them, talk with them, and work side by side with them.

"The Swiss writer and philosopher Henri-Frédéric Amiel (1821-81) observed: 'All victory leads to growth.... All victory is ultimately victory over oneself and, in consequence, an expansion in oneself.' We must never forget that people of lionhearted faith are fostered in the midst of all-out efforts for the sake of kosen-rufu."

SGI Newsletter No. 7441, Capable People Dedicated to Kosen-rufu Are the Most Precious Treasures, translated Dec. 27th, 2007

E

EasyMyohoDisco

PassTheDoobie said:
"The Year of Capable People and Development has begun. In a letter to the lay nun Ueno, the mother of Nanjo Tokimitsu, the Daishonin writes"

"'After hearing it [this teaching of the Lotus Sutra]' strive even more earnestly in faith. One who, on hearing the teachings of the Lotus Sutra, makes even greater efforts in faith is a true seeker of the way. (WND-1, 457)

The Daishonin constantly urges us to exert ourselves 'even more,' 'more and more,' and 'more than ever.' It is important that we strive for kosen-rufu with the strong and determined spirit to make even greater efforts with every passing year of our Buddhist practise. When we advance with faith based on this spirit of “true cause'--the spirit of always moving forwards from this moment on--capable people will appear and grow, and kosen-rufu will develop exponentially."

SGI Newsletter No. 7440, SGI President Ikeda’s New Year’s Message, The Foundations for Worldwide Kosen-rufu Are Complete, translated Dec. 26th, 2007

Reading this quote was the same as hearing my lady Ms. MyohoDisco say them at the same meeting when I shared my experience! She did the introduction words at that meeting and then when they had leadership appointments she became the YWD District Leader! Thanks to Babba and Thomas she was my first shakubuku, quite an honor to know she has also begun her Human Revolution and actually on Monday returned to school!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!

Let's keep chanting for our Babbas and work on kosen-rufu today. I have read in this thread a bow of obeisance to another is a bow of obeisance to yourself and all the Buddhas! So a big thanks to Hitman for those kind words and Socal and Thomas and Babba and Bonzo and even Treehuggers sending me a New Years Wish, Thanks alot Scegy your a really good friend to me!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!!

"When we revere Myoho-renge-kyo inherent in our own life as the object of devotion, the Buddha nature within us is summoned forth and manifested by our chanting of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. This is what is meant by "Buddha." To illustrate, when a caged bird sings, birds who are flying in the sky are thereby summoned and gather around, and when the birds flying in the sky gather around, the bird in the cage strives to get out. When with our mouths we chant the Mystic Law, our Buddha nature, being summoned, will invariably emerge."
Reference:

WND Page 887
Page 872 How Those Initially Aspiring to the Way Can Attain Buddhahood through the Lotus Sutra
Written to Myoho-ama in 1277 from Minobu

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This passage is saying that, if in a single moment of life we exhaust the pains and trials of millions of kalpas, then instant after instant there will arise in us the three Buddha bodies with which we are eternally endowed. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is just such a 'diligent' practice."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 790, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 214) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, January 9th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The future is created through the fresh power of youth, which is why it is so important to dedicate all one's energies to fostering young people."

SGI Newsletter No. 7448, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 20: Chap. 3, Ties of Trust 23, translated Jan 7th, 2008

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
“Difficulties impede the progress of those who are weak. For the strong, however, they are an opportunity to open wide the doors to a bright future.”

"It takes courage to become happy - courage to remain true to one's convictions, courage not to be defeated by one's weaknesses and negativity, courage to take swift action to help those who are suffering."

Life is dancing

Live with a dancing spirit. The stars in the heavens are dancing through space, the earth never ceases to spin . All life is dancing, the trees with the wind, the waves on the sea, the birds,the fish, are all performing their own dance of life. Every living thing is dancing, and you must keep dancing too, for the rest of your life.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"The Lotus Sutra is the king of sutras, the direct path to
enlightenment, for it explains that the entity of our life, which
manifests either good or evil at each moment, is in fact the entity of
the Mystic Law."

(WND, 4)
On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime
Written to Toki Jonin in 1255

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Prayers is the foundation. But at the same time if we fail to make
concrete efforts, no matter how much daimoku we chant, our prayers
will not be answered. Buddhism is reason if we just chant without
doing any work we cannot succeed in our jobs.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's always try to progress!
That is what our Buddhist practise and faith is all about.
By having a fresh determination each and every day and
by challenging ourselves to grow more than even yesterday,
let's advance along the great path towards an absolutely victorious life!

Daisaku Ikeda

*"Buddhist practise has to be carried out with determination and courage. When we bravely challenge ourselves with the spirit to accomplish 'more today than yesterday' and 'more tomorrow than today,' we are truly practicing. Without such a brave and vigorous spirit, we cannot break the iron shackles of destiny, nor can we defeat obstacles and devils. Our daily practice of gongyo is a drama of challenging and creating something new in our lives. When we bravely stand up with faith, the darkness of despair and anxiety vanishes from our hearts, and in pours the light of hope and growth. This spirit to courageously stand up is the spirit of faith." (Lectures on the "Expedient Means" and "Life Span Chapters of the Lotus Sutra by Daisaku Ikeda, Volume 1, page 58)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood. Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection. Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 283) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 12th, 2007

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"To see illness as an opportunity to transform our karma--this strong spirit and resolve can break through all obstacles and devilish functions, and open wide the path to happiness. Like a spaceship blasting out of the earth's atmosphere, the passionate conviction of faith that comes from viewing illness as an opportunity to transform our karma can become a powerful engine propelling us forwards not only in this existence but throughout eternity, enabling us to freely savour everlasting happiness."

SGI Newsletter No. 7421, LEARNING FROM THE GOSHO: THE HOPE-FILLED WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN [2] 'On Prolonging One's Life Span,' Faith for Leading a Long and Healthy Life, translated Dec. 5th, 2007 from the October 2007 issue of the Daibyakurenge, the Soka Gakkai study journal.

scegy

hello brothers and maybe a sister somewhere hehe :)---> you know what's funny, in our place, women have the leading role in chanting, men are a minority:p

myoho, you'r crazy, in a very good way :wave:

as said i had a meeting yesterday and i've asked a lot of Q, and was given the respond i hoped i will. they were happy to see me and i was too to see them again. i was happy to hear how things progressed in my mentor's life and saw it on him too, shining even more. we had a nice chat before and after gongyo and daimoku and it was a nice one, with a lot of laughter. i really enjoyed myself again
bout the gohonzon, our SGI group here doesn't have the permission to deal Gohonzons yet, so every 6 months a leader from bigger Europe's center comes and brings the Gohonzons and gives them away. So i was told i'll probably get mine in May and i'm looking forward to get to know how SGI works, as i've been invited to cooperate with them. I realized i have to do this as every other thing i've done in my life, step by step with caution and trust to a reasonable degree. I'm looking forward in recieving my own, Gohonzon with the right cause.

and i'm proud i took the effort to shakabuku my gf and a few other friends, but only my gf really took action for now.

I just gotta let life amaze me every day!

p.s.

i've asked how the gohonzons are manufactured and for anyone that's interested, i've been said that the Japan SGI was given the original N.D. gohonzon matrix, and they print it there as far as he knows

as for the money

my mentor is the finance clerk in our SGI and he told me that if some SGI grows and develops to the point that it becomes and organisation, the Japan SGI gives them the initial financial push, then they'r on their own, making money with publications and stuff. He also told me that some Italian SGI leader told him that it's better to use the money they have then to spare and accumulate it, as that would bring suspicion that this could be a profitable organisation

bad apples

i'm so glad i asked this, i asked what if someone inside the SGI is rotten and works for the wrong cause? he said to me that ofcourse, everywhere you find ppl that want to work only for themselves, even in SGI and that he has met and seen a case in the leadership department in Spain. The leader took all the money and f.... them all. BUT, as this happened, rules changed, so now for every money transaction at least 2 members if not more, have to sign the transaction
AGAIN it is up to the SGI(a bunch of ppl) to notice that and ACT, as in every family, group, organisation things work, if they want to progress further on

so, again, i have no doubt, to actually doubt :dueling:

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
I third that WOW!!! :wave:

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'v been to a couple Butsudan stores here scegy and i have seen them decorated in all kinds of ways so i asked if there were any limitations on decorating your Butsudan and the answer is allways no, whatever floats your boat is cool. I must say i love the earthy look of raw clearcoated or stained, but im a carpenter scegy and i just love wood. I saw models painted HOT PINK with little appliqes glued on them, so many you would be surprised , i know i was, but kinda nice to know that allthough the Gohonzon MUST remain as is, its lil house can be decorated to your very own pwrsonal touch.

I'm stoked that your asking the questions you wanted to ask strait from the source and getting answers that you seek, very cool bro!

peace

bonz

Morning Gongyo with some double time for the Babbas! :wave:

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonzo

Veteran
PPS, Thank you Babba for posting the meaning of our beads, i know i really enjoyed that!

Good morning Big T, Hitman, Easy, Babbas, Socal, scegy, Gourgia and all the Chanting growers!!!

Have a day of days!!!!

peace

bonz :wave:

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just laid down two straight hours for the first time since I got sick before the New Year! Thanks Babbas!

Congrats to scegy. You call him mentor and that means you perceive him as such. To have someone to help you understand is a good thing! That is such a benefit!!! How wonderful!

I bow in obeisance to all!

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The warmth produced through heart-to-heart communication and an earnest desire for friendship are the only means with which to melt the icy walls of antagonism and misunderstanding that have been forged by history."

SGI Newsletter No. 7431, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 20: Chap. 3, Ties of Trust 13, translated Dec. 12th 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts