What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Now in the 21st century, the possibility that all humanity will be linked together as one big family is emerging. At the same time, the struggle against humanity's karma of division and discrimination is also intensifying. Today, thinkers in every field agree that humanity is facing a crossroads - namely, the question of whether we will be able to overcome this karma or not.

"...The new age when all humanity will be joined as members of one big family is a time for all of us, not just one specific group, to stand up as pillars.

"Kosen-rufu is an unprecedented movement in which each of us, through our actions as a practitioner of the Mystic Law, strives to become a pillar - a person of unshakable commitment - who will work to change the destiny of humankind."

SGI Newsletter No. 8642, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory, [41] - The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra - Part 3 [of 3], Kosen-rufu - A Challenge to Transform the Destiny of Humankind, from the June 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated 5th Oct. 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin teaches us,
"'Joy' means that oneself and others together experience joy."*
When we dedicate ourselves to helping others to become happy,
our own lives become enriched at the same time.
So let's enlarge this circle of joy and happiness!

Daisaku Ikeda

*The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 146

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sorry but I didn't read all posts up until post 15451. The first posts said you can chant anything and the more people that chant, the more the environment will change. To me it's like starting a thread called: Eating Growers Group, a thread where anyone can talk about eating and food. And then at post 15000 say actually this is a thread about a certain type of food and we thank you for not mentioning Tibetan food or any other food. Anyway this has all been cleared up for me now and I am thankful. But I wasn't promoting any belief or sect. Just chanting.

Hi Liza! I apologize I had to post what I did and split but I have been very busy with a local group activity that just finished yesterday. I believe if you go back and check more carefully, you’ll see it actually says, “You can chant about anything!” I reread it and it is pretty clear I started this talking about Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. But the misunderstanding is now cleared up and I sincerely appreciate your, not only understanding my position (as a Nichiren Buddhist, one does not promote the utilization of other Buddhist practices as they are considered mere expedients to encounter the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo), but also your obvious compassion in wanting to help people. Don’t leave us! We want you here. Just please read more of the thread. Thank you!

Deep respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"What is the poison? It is the three paths of earthly desires, karma, and suffering that are our lot. What is the medicine? It is the Dharma body, wisdom, and emancipation. And what does it mean to change poison into medicine? It means to transform the three paths into the three virtues: the Dharma body, wisdom, and emancipation.... This is what the attainment of Buddhahood in one's present form means."

(What It Means to Hear the Buddha Vehicle for the First Time - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 743) Selection source: The teachings of Buddhism for Beginners, Seikyo Shimbun, October 28th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I’d like to share with you today a passage from Nichiren Daishonin’s writing ‘On Losing Faith and Falling into Evil’: ‘Shakyamuni Buddha had all the thirty-two auspicious features, his body a golden colour, his face like the full moon. And yet when evil persons looked at him, some saw his colour as ashen, some saw him as sooty, and some saw him as an enemy’ (WND-2, 1079).

"Shakyamuni was born in India with these thirty-two superior physical characteristics that distinguished him as a great man. He was respected and revered by the people as the Buddha. Yet when people with impure hearts looked at him they saw him as lowly or tainted, and some saw him as an enemy.

"In contrast to Shakyamuni, Nichiren Daishonin was born as an ordinary being in the evil age of the Latter Day of the Law. As such, it was only to be expected that he would encounter hostility and opposition in propagating his teaching.

"For our part, we are ordinary people, followers of Nichiren Daishonin. We are making kosen-rufu a reality exactly as the Daishonin instructs. Though we are unexceptional beings who have been disparaged by others, we are carrying out the noblest of missions. It is inevitable that we, too, will encounter all sorts of trials and hardships.

"That is why Mr. Makiguchi and Mr. Toda were jailed for their beliefs, and Mr. Makiguchi ultimately died in prison. I have also faced continual opposition throughout my life. In the light of the teachings of the Gosho, the Soka Gakkai will continue to face harsh obstacles.

"But we mustn’t allow ourselves to be defeated. We must not flinch.”

"...Having a firm resolve essentially means dispelling illusions and opening our eyes to the right path. The path of upholding the correct teachings is always fraught with great difficulties—it is unflinching faith that awakens us to this truth."

SGI Newsletter No. 8661, The New Human Revolution––Volume 26: Chapter 1, Atsuta 13, translated 5th Nov. 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not about "someone" taking up the challenge.
It's about "me, myself" determining to stand up!
It's not about "sometime" in the future.
It's about "now," doing our best right now!
This is what the formula for victory is!

Daisaku Ikeda

easyDaimoku

Veteran
It's not about "someone" taking up the challenge.
It's about "me, myself" determining to stand up!
It's not about "sometime" in the future.
It's about "now," doing our best right now!
This is what the formula for victory is!

Daisaku Ikeda

I just read this to my ex-gf and she said she remembers this exact quote! WOW! Then she says "its like its only us, right now!". :)

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

I've been going through so much lately, things got real bad recently, but I pulled through. I fucking turned to the Gohonzon, non-stop. During all the real struggles recently I just turned to the Gohonzon. That's all I got. I started my day with daimoku today and I'm pulling through. This already started to be a better week. Now we have the luxury of starting phresh again tomorrow and so forth.

Thank you so much T for the quotes and references. I'm sure it was a kickass study and I'm so glad Babba was recently posting too. Feels good to have this sort of continuity during chaotic times. Buddhas pull through and we shall continue to overcome!!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Let's all try to cheer on and offer words of encouragement to
those members who are in the throws of job hunting.
"I'm going to make it, no matter how hard it might be!
I'm definitely going to win!"
It is from daimoku with such a bold and decisive spirit
that everything starts to move in the right direction.

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam myoho renge kyo

Last edited:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Happy Thanksgiving to all... it is a great time to be with family and friends and hope you are all as thankful as I am for everything...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

We have experienced something personally that has led us to believe that the ultimate Law of Life and karma is, cause and effect. There is individual karma and there is collective karma. Why do all of the people from varying backgrounds sometimes have collective fates (9/11 for example)?

We believe that the environment reflects the collective karma of those who inhabit it. We have come to accept a view, based on personal experience, that there is a means for individuals to change their Karma, and bring out their Buddha Nature. That is why we chant.

The belief is that the more people that chant, the more the environment of all living things is influenced as an effect of that cause. We are all devoted to achieve happiness in our daily lives and to hopefully express to society through our efforts, a reason to be curious about this NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO, and try it for themselves.

We believe at a point in time in the future, through the efforts of really nothing more than our daily practice, we can influence the numbers of people it will require to "Pacify the land, through the propagation of the law." Kosen Rufu. I.E.: If enough people chant, the ozone layer will heal, the droughts and floods will stop, the earth will become benign to it's inhabitants and people throughout the world will respect the sanctity of life, based on respect for the Buddha Nature in all things.

I never thought I would be discussing it in a reefer forum, but there you have it.

T

Nam myoho renge kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo no matter what happens."

(Happiness in This World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 681) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, Sept 11th, 2012

Nam myoho renge kyo

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Thanksgiving was so special. My mom came over and we had the best time ever. She slept over with her dog and that made me proud to have accomplished so much with my practice. Even with a terrible cancer she's been alive for over 5 years since starting chemo. So many of you and others locally have chanted for her and she's still going. Its because of our faith that my mother and I were united this past weekend. Two former mortal enemies, united under one roof!

I hope all my friends here also had a good time, especially my Babbas and Doobs (chris, shorts, bonzo, socal, trichy,weirds, hitman, forest, desi, scegy,always, georgia, everyone and their mama) had a good warm holiday. I showed my mom pictures of the babbas, doobs and everyone and she saw a picture of President Ikeda and said "do you know this man? he seems so nice, I want to meet him..." I told him he's my mentor, but he's in Japan and isn't traveling so much these days, but we could write to him. She said "well if we can't see him lets call him, I don't know, but there is something special about him, he seems like such a good man". I was so honored, Sensei got that Billion dollar Bodhisattva smile :)

Payaso

Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Thanksgiving with Mom, what a delight! Glad you could get together! You both have much to be thankful for.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ~

Payaso

Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Another energy filled chanting day here at the ranch as we get pounded by Pacific rainstorms. A nice day to be inside...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Greetings to Thomas and everyone else grooving to the energy of the day...

Peace and best wishes to all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts