What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is the driving force for our human revolution? It is our Buddhist practice directed toward the realization of kosen-rufu. It is important for us to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, make a vow for kosen-rufu, transform ourselves and our environment, and win one victory after another. Nichiren Daishonin says that we should chant "as earnestly as though to produce fire from damp wood, or to obtain water from parched ground" (cf. WND-1, 444). The strategy of the Lotus Sutra--faith in the Mystic Law--enables us to make the impossible possible.

SGI Newsletter No. 8573, SGI President Ikeda's Encouragement, On Our Shared Journey for Kosen-rufu, translated Wednesday, August 1, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 283) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 17th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The stronger one's faith, the greater the protection of the gods." This means that the protection of the gods depends on the strength of one's faith."

(General Stone Tiger - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 953) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 18th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We can use the hardships of illness as fuel to strengthen our faith and also to develop a deeper and more expansive state of life. In the light of the Mystic Law, the struggle against illness is, from the perspective of eternity, a test to enable us to attain happiness and victory.

Having an illness doesn't necessarily mean that a person is unwell. That is not something that can be decided by other people or by society. True health is to be found in having a positive attitude toward life and a strong self that refuses to be defeated by anything.

SGI Newsletter No. 8588, SGI President Ikeda's Guidance for Youth, To My Young Friends—Leaders of a New Age, Translated on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Each of you should summon up the courage of a lion king"*
Faith is all about manifesting one's courage!
Now is the time to let out the lion's roar of truth and justice
that will open up and transform the era!

Daisaku Ikeda

Gosho - On Persecutions Befalling the Sage - WND1-997, "Each of you should summon up the courage of a lion king and never succumb to threats from anyone. The lion king fears no other beast, nor do its cubs."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is the heart that is important. No matter how earnestly Nichiren prays for you, if you lack faith, it will be like trying to set fire to wet tinder. Spur yourself to muster the power of faith."

(The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1000) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, July 28th,

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You all have a very important and wonderful mission. I hope you will be filled with hope and live out your lives to the fullest. Become healthy in the truest sense, and encourage as many people suffering from illness as you can.

The sufferings of birth, aging, sickness, and death can be transformed into a victorious life imbued with the four noble virtues of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity. This is the life of Soka, or value creation.

SGI Newsletter No. 8588, SGI President Ikeda's Guidance for Youth, To My Young Friends—Leaders of a New Age, Translated on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In order to scale the pinnacle of kosen-rufu
we need clear goals, strong prayer and courageous action!
Let's make victorious advancement each and every day!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens."

(Happiness in This World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 681) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, August 20th, 2012

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I getting my faith into action everyday more and more now. I'm up!

I'm sincerely chanting for everything right now! Its all about my faith in the Gohonzon.

Let's keep chanting daimoku together everyday folks! Thank you T!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A cub sired by a lion king will become a lion king."

(Letter to the Sage Nichimyo - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 323) Selection source: Buddhist study, Seikyo Shimbun, August 21st, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
President Ikeda: The doctor said I probably wouldn't live to the age of 30. That's why I gave my all each day so that I would have no regrets if it were my last.

Mr. Toda was very concerned about my physical condition. Once he chanted with me before the Gohonzon at the Soka Gakkai Headquarters, having told me sternly: "Your life force is weak. If your life force is weak, you'll be defeated in your struggles." He was a truly caring mentor. I fought with everything I had to respond to his expectations.

SGI Newsletter No. 8588, SGI President Ikeda's Guidance for Youth, To My Young Friends—Leaders of a New Age, Translated on August 15, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A sword is useless in the hands of a coward. The mighty sword of the Lotus Sutra must be wielded by one courageous in faith. Then one will be as strong as a demon armed with an iron staff." (WND-1, 412)

The essence of faith is courage, is bravery. As Mr. Toda's disciple, I summoned all of my courage to fight back against the devils of sickness and death. At the same time, I also chanted and exerted myself with the resolve to use the "sharp sword" of faith to cut through all obstacles that might beset the Soka Gakkai and my mentor.

I am sure Mr. Toda would be amazed and delighted to see that I am still taking the lead for worldwide kosen-rufu in such good health and high spirits. This is all a result of my selfless dedication to the shared struggle of mentor and disciple to realize kosen-rufu—a struggle through which I have gained the benefit of "prolonging my life through faith."

SGI Newsletter No. 8588, SGI President Ikeda's Guidance for Youth, To My Young Friends—Leaders of a New Age, Translated on August 15, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In that case, though it is thought that Shakyamuni Buddha possesses the three virtues of sovereign, teacher, and parent for the sake of all of us living beings, that is not so. On the contrary, it is common mortals who endow him with the three virtues."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 384) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, August 22nd, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"There is no true happiness for human beings other than chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. The sutra reads, '. . . where living beings enjoy themselves at ease.' How could this passage mean anything but the boundless joy of the Law?"

(Happiness in This World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 681) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, June 18th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This Gohonzon also is found only in the two characters for faith."

(The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 832) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, June 15th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I am profoundly moved whenever I recall these oft-spoken words of my mentor, second Soka Gakkai president Josei Toda, who was an invincible champion of kosen-rufu: 'As far as faith is concerned, I am forbearing to the point of obstinacy.'

"Nichiren Daishonin pioneered the way for practising and spreading the correct teaching of Buddhism in society and leading all people to enlightenment. It has been the pride of the mentors and disciples of Soka to establish actual proof of victory of this noble path through 'donning the armour of perseverance' (cf. LSOC13, 233) and 'exerting ourselves bravely and vigorously' (cf. LSOC2, 56).

"In a letter to his youthful follower Nanjo Tokimitsu, who was facing severe trials, the Daishonin urges him to be 'single-mindedly resolved' (cf. WND-1, 800). The true power of youth is demonstrated when they fight wholeheartedly for what is right. It is not a matter of strategies or calculation.

"When we stand up courageously with the same vow for kosen-rufu as our mentor, we can break out of the shell of our lesser self and allow the wisdom and power of the Buddha to vibrantly surge forth from within us."

SGI Newsletter No. 8539, My Young Friends, Lead a Victorious Youth of Courageous Endeavour!, from the July 2012 issue of Daibyakurenge, the Soka Gakkai monthly study journal, translated 14th June 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No one can avoid the four sufferings of birth, aging, sickness, and death. In that sense, our entire lives are a battle against illness. That's why we shouldn't fear illness. Nor should we make light of it, however. It's important to take speedy practical steps to combat illness.

To another follower whose husband was sick, the Daishonin writes: "Could not this illness of your husband's be the Buddha's design, because the Vimalakirti and Nirvana sutras both teach that sick people will surely attain Buddhahood? Illness gives rise to the resolve to attain the way" (WND-1, 937).

We can use the hardships of illness as fuel to strengthen our faith and also to develop a deeper and more expansive state of life. In the light of the Mystic Law, the struggle against illness is, from the perspective of eternity, a test to enable us to attain happiness and victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts