What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A pleasant greeting can instantly forge positive connections. It can create goodwill, even if it is your first encounter or the other person is someone you have trouble communicating with.

"When greeting others, it doesn’t matter if your greeting isn’t returned. Taking the lead in greeting others is important. Those who can respect others will be respected in turn. Those who can greet others cheerfully, sincerely, and warmly are truly admirable. Greeting others is an art that reflects one’s life-state.

"If you’re going to say 'Hello' 'Good morning,' 'Thank you,' or some such thing, please do so brightly. That way, you’ll lift not only the other person’s spirits but your own. Your positive energy will also set the tone for a great day ahead.

"Don’t hesitate to greet people and make new friends. By activating people’s Buddha nature, we call forth the positive functions of the universe, which will manifest as support and assistance from those around us."

SGI Newsletter No. 8552, To My Young Friends—Leaders of a New Age, [4] To Youth Entering the Workforce—Part 2 [of 3], from the May 23rd, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated 29th June 2012.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Wherever your daughter may frolic or play, no harm will come to her; she will move about without fear like the lion king."

(Reply to Kyo'o - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 412) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, July 7th, 2012

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I broke up with my girlfriend last week. Had a really really tough week. She is chanting more than I've never seen her chant this much during the last week and is even chanting right now. Since we live together its going to be tough to finalize this seperation, but its going to be for the best. We both have faith in the Gohonzon and practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism everyday.

T, I'm glad you're back brother. I might not be posting so much for a bit so its a good thing that you're out and about!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everything in the Universe ebbs and flows. Hang tough, and whatever you do never stop sincerely praying for her happiness. This isn't the first time you two have gone through this. Her faith is something you have shared here on many occasions. Know we are all chanting for you both!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"T'ien-t'ai states, 'From the indigo, an even deeper blue.' This passage means that, if one dyes something repeatedly in indigo, it becomes even bluer than the indigo leaves. The Lotus Sutra is like the indigo, and the strength of one's practice is like the deepening blue."

(Hell Is the Land of Tranquil Light - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 457)
Selection source: Myoji no Gen, Seikyo Shimbun, July 3rd, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"“Even though the parents may be evildoers, if the child is good, the parents’ offenses will be forgiven. On the other hand, although the child may be an evildoer, if the parents are good persons, their child’s faults will be pardoned' (WND-1, 664).

“The bonds between parent and child, the ties connecting loved ones, are very profound. Of course the faith of the deceased when they were still alive is most important, but sincere daimoku chanted by their children or surviving family members can lead them to attain Buddhahood.

“Even after a person passes away, [because our lives are interconnected in both life and death,] our prayers for the deceased to attain Buddhahood will definitely reach them. That’s why it’s so important for family members and loved ones to chant daimoku and continue to exert themselves in their Buddhist faith and practice for those who have passed away.”

SGI Newsletter No. 8555, The New Human Revolution––Volume 25: Chapter 3, Gentle
Breeze 23, translated 2nd July 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Our lives are eternal, continuing from the present existence on to the next and the next. This is what is meant by subsequent existences. Our actions in this existence determine our karmic reward or retribution in future existences. In other words, this continuity of life without beginning or end is governed by the law of cause and effect.

“Those who uphold the Gohonzon and practice with strong faith in this present existence create a cause for attaining Buddhahood again in subsequent existences. If, on the other hand, they slander the Law in this existence, then as the Daishonin taught, they are creating a cause for future misery.

“If one dedicates oneself to the happiness of others in this life and remains true to one’s mission for kosen-rufu, no matter how much suffering one undergoes, or even if one’s life is taken in some great persecution, one is certain to attain Buddhahood in future existences.

"Knowledge of the persistence of life throughout the three existences of past, present, and future enables us to establish true values, a sound view of life, and genuine ethics."

SGI Newsletter No. 8554, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 3, Gentle Breeze 22, translated 29th June, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The fact that we have encountered and embrace this Buddhism is itself the greatest of good fortune and the source of enormous benefit in our lives. There is no way that we will be defeated, no matter what may happen! Let's chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with this confidence and composure and overcome any and all difficulties, challenges and obstacles that might confront us.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And now when Nichiren chants Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, he is enabling all living beings to attain Buddhahood in the ten thousand years of the Latter Day of the Law."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 720, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 41) Selection source: Buddhist study for new members, Seikyo Shimbun, July 8th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When I was 21 and started working at Mr. Toda’s company, I decided to adopt two habits—(1) always greeting my seniors brightly and cheerfully, and (2) always arriving at work 30 minutes early and cleaning and straightening up the office.

"A workplace that resounds with cheerful greetings will flourish. Similarly, a workplace that is tidy and organised will be free of accidents and mishaps.

"I did these two things without being told by anyone. It was simply out of my wish to assist and support Mr. Toda and help his company grow.

"The morning is decisive; it is the key to a successful day.

"Mr. Toda used to say: 'A person who arrives at work late and is scolded by the boss will never amount to anything. New employees, especially, in the interest of earning trust and credibility in the workplace, should come into work earlier than anyone else.'

"Morning gongyo and daimoku awakens our life so that we can win in the day ahead. Mr. Toda taught that it is important for us, as practitioners of the Daishonin’s Buddhism, to get the day off to a successful start and to lead a victorious life."

SGI Newsletter No. 8552, To My Young Friends—Leaders of a New Age, [4] To Youth Entering the Workforce—Part 2 [of 3], from the May 23rd, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated 29th June 2012.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens."

(Happiness in This World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 681) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, July 2nd, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's by consistently applying the basics of 'faith, practice and study' that we can develop, in the depths of our lives, a very solid foundation for good fortune and benefit. Let's all advance along this supreme path towards victory!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If Nichiren's compassion is truly great and encompassing, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo will spread for ten thousand years and more, for all eternity."

(On Repaying Debts of Gratitude - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 736) Selection source: Buddhist study for new members, Seikyo Shimbun, July 8th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When you make a mistake, it is important to sincerely reflect on it. But there is no point in letting it depress you or destroy your self-confidence. Mistakes can provide you with a valuable lesson or experience, and you can always make up for whatever it is that you’ve done wrong. Don’t dwell on your mistakes and allow them to undermine your self-esteem.

"Remember, 'Mistakes are the mother of success.'"

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
"When you make a mistake, it is important to sincerely reflect on it. But there is no point in letting it depress you or destroy your self-confidence. Mistakes can provide you with a valuable lesson or experience, and you can always make up for whatever it is that you’ve done wrong. Don’t dwell on your mistakes and allow them to undermine your self-esteem.

"Remember, 'Mistakes are the mother of success.'"

I like that one Thomas!!!

Having made a few in my short life it's nice to read this affirmation!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And yet, though one might point at the earth and miss it, though one might bind up the sky, though the tides might cease to ebb and flow and the sun rise in the west, it could never come about that the prayers of the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra would go unanswered."

(On Prayer - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 345) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, June 30th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once we have firmly made up our minds to fulfil the great vow to achieve kosen-rufu, boundless courage and wisdom bursts forth from within. By chanting daimoku, no matter what happens, with strong and courageous faith like a roaring lion king, let's turn everything into a great cause for our advancement!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is the same with a Buddha and an ordinary being. When deluded, one is called an ordinary being, but when enlightened, one is called a Buddha."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 4) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, June 29th, 2010

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
By chanting daimoku I find the strength to continue this massive project I have undertaken... all by myself it seems at times. But the work is important, the message being presented will be understandable to all, and Nam Myoho Renge Kyo it is fulfilling...

Peace to all and to all a good night!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Arouse deep faith, and diligently polish your mirror day and night. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 4) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, March 22nd, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.