What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kosen-rufu is achieved by meeting other people. The more people we help form a connection with Buddhism, the more brilliantly the treasure of our own hearts will shine. Let's make the blossoms of conversation bloom in all their glory!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Therefore, when once we chant Myoho-renge-kyo, with just that single sound we summon forth and manifest the Buddha nature of all Buddhas; all existences; all bodhisattvas; all voice-hearers; all the deities such as Brahma, Shakra, and King Yama; the sun and moon, and the myriad stars; the heavenly gods and earthly deities, on down to hell-dwellers, hungry spirits, animals, asuras, human and heavenly beings, and all other living beings. This blessing is immeasurable and boundless."

(How Those Initially Aspiring to the Way Can Attain Buddhahood through the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 887) Selection source: Myoji no Gen, Seikyo Shimbun, May 20th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"No matter how wonderful the Gohonzon is, if the person’s faith is weak, they will not attain benefit.”

"'The stronger one’s faith, the greater the protection of the [Buddhist] gods.’ This means that the protection of the gods depends on the strength of one’s faith. The Lotus Sutra is a fine sword, but its might depends on the one who wields it' (WND-1, 953).

“This is an important teaching, emphasising that the strength of our Buddhist practice is what activates and draws out the powers of the protective deities. The heavenly deities won’t protect us if we waver in our practice when a challenge arises, even if we’ve accepted the Gohonzon."

SGI Newsletter No. 8516, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 2, Shared Struggle 55, translated May 15th, 2012

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Love your ROAR Hammerhead! I had no idea!!!

I love Thomas' postings, they keep me on the path in many ways...much appreciated and wonderful to be here :) :) :)

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
When one has had the rare good fortune to be born a human being, and the further
good fortune to encounter the teachings of Buddhism, how can one waste this
opportunity? If one is going to take faith at all, then among all the various
teachings of the Mahayana and the Hinayana, provisional and true doctrines, one
should believe in the one vehicle, the true purpose for which the Buddhas come
into the world and the direct path to attaining enlightenment for all living
beings.

(WND, 60)
Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra
Recipient unknown; written in March 1263

easyDaimoku

Veteran
To My Friends:
May 24, 2012

Rather than comparing yourself to others,
triumph over your own weaknesses.
Today, more than yesterday,
tomorrow, more than today--
Let's make every day one of growth and
development.

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Sunday, May 27, 2012:
To accept, uphold, read, recite, take delight in, and protect all the eight volumes and twenty-eight chapters of the Lotus Sutra is called the comprehensive practice. To accept, uphold, and protect the "Expedient Means" chapter and the "Life Span" chapter is called the abbreviated practice. And simply to chant one four-phrase verse or the daimoku, and to protect those who do so, is called the essential practice. Hence, among these three kinds of practice, comprehensive, abbreviated, and essential, the daimoku is defined as the essential practice.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 143
The Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra
Recipient unknown; written on January 6, 1266

easyDaimoku

Veteran
"Single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha" may be read as follows: single-mindedly observing the Buddha, concentrating one's mind on seeing the Buddha, and when looking at one's own mind, perceiving that it is the Buddha.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 389
Letter to Gijo-bo
Written to Gijo-bo on May 28, 1273

May 28, 2012

--WORDS OF THE WEEK--
As the saying goes,
"A clear spring flows beneath
your feet."
The progress and development
of kosen-rufu begins in the
district and block (group).
Let's praise and encourage every
person and generate a refreshing
breeze of hope.

--TO MY FRIENDS--
The morning is crucial.
Let's start off each day with
resonant gongyo and daimoku.
When your life condition abounds
with a vibrant spirit brimming
optimism, you can open wide
the portal to victory.

Translations of "Words of the Week" and "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
This is all you need to know... Say the following phrase:

This is all you need to know... Say the following phrase:

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
"Rather than offering up ten thousand prayers for remedy, it would be better simply to outlaw this one evil."
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 15
On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land
Submitted to Hojo Tokiyori on July 16, 1260

Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda
Saturday, June 2, 2012:
No matter where we go, we cannot escape from the sufferings that are part and parcel of life. If we cannot avoid these sufferings, then our only choice is to overcome them. And since we have no choice but to overcome them, then we might as well live joyfully and vigorously while doing so. Let's continue to strive and chant daimoku to the end.

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
Saturday, June 2, 2012:
Unless we can perceive our fellow human beings and feel their sufferings as our own, we will never be free of conflict and war. In other words, a transformation within our own lives is important.

To My Friends by President Ikeda
June 2, 2012

Let's express our appreciation to our
exceptional men's and women's
district leaders for their noble efforts.
The progress we make inspired by their smiles
will open the way to kosen-rufu's future.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Let's keep doing gonyo everyday!

Let's keep doing gonyo everyday!

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Sunday, June 3, 2012:
As I said before, though no chapter of the Lotus Sutra is negligible, among the entire twenty-eight chapters, the "Expedient Means" chapter and the "Life Span" chapter are particularly outstanding. The remaining chapters are all in a sense the branches and leaves of these two chapters. Therefore, for your regular recitation, I recommend that you practice reading the prose sections of the "Expedient Means" and "Life Span" chapters.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 71
The Recitation of the "Expedient Means" and "Life Span" Chapters
Written to Hiki Daigaku Saburo Yoshimoto's wife on April 17, 1264
gongyo
[勤行] ( Jpn) Literally, to "exert [oneself in] practice." Generally speaking, gongyo refers to the practice of reciting Buddhist sutras in front of an object of devotion. The content and method of gongyo dif-fer according to the school of Buddhism. In Nichiren's (1222-1282) teaching, gongyo means to chant the daimoku of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and recite portions of the "Expedient Means" (second) chapter and the "Life Span" (sixteenth) chapter of the Lotus Sutra with faith in the object of devotion called the Gohonzon. In The Recitation of the "Expedient Means" and "Life Span" Chapters, Nichiren states: "Though no chapter of the Lotus Sutra is negligible, among the entire twenty-eight chapters, the 'Expedient Means' chapter and the 'Life Span' chapter are particularly outstanding. The remaining chapters are all in a sense the branches and leaves of these two chapters.... If you recite the 'Life Span' and 'Expedient Means' chapters, then the remaining chapters will naturally be included even though you do not recite them" (71). In the gongyo of Nichiren's practice, chanting the daimoku constitutes the fundamental practice, and therefore it is called the primary practice. Recitation of the "Expedient Means" and "Life Span" chapters helps bring forth the benefits of the primary practice and is hence called the supporting practice.

Here is a link to the Older (pre 2009) English Version of Gongyo: http://webspace.webring.com/people/ir/rainesam/gongyoforall.pdf
The Liturgy of Nichiren Daishonin

Myo ho ren ge kyo. Hoben-pon. Dai Ni.
Niji seson. Ju sanmai. Anjo ni ki. Go shari-hotsu. Sho-but^chi-e. Jinjin muryo. Go chi-e mon. Nange nannyu. Issai shomon. Hyaku-shi-butsu. Sho fu no chi. Sho-i sha ga. Butsu zo shingon. Hyaku sen man noku. Mushu sho butsu. Jin gyo sho-butsu. Muryo doho. Yumyo shojin. Myosho fu mon. Joju jinjin. Mi-zo-u ho. Zui gi sho setsu. Ishu nange. Shari-hotsu. Go ju jo-butsu irai. Shuju innen. Shuju hiyu. Ko en gonkyo. Mu shu hoben. Indo shujo. Ryo ri sho jaku. Sho-i sha ga. Nyorai hoben. Chiken hara-mitsu. Kai i gu-soku. Shari-hotsu. Nyorai chiken. Kodai jinnon. Muryo muge. Riki. Mu-sho-i. Zenjo. Gedas.^Sanmai. Jin nyu musai. Joju issai. Mi-zo-u ho. Shari-hotsu. Nyorai no. Shuju fun-betsu. Gyo ses^sho ho. Gonji nyunan. Ekka shushin. Shari-hotsu. Shu yo gon shi. Muryo muhen. Mi-zo-u ho. Bus^shitsu joju. Shi shari-hotsu. Fu shu bu setsu.^Sho-i sha ga. Bus^sho joju. Dai ichi ke-u. Nange shi ho. Yui butsu yo butsu. Nai no kujin. Shoho jisso. Sho-i shoho. Nyo ze so. Nyo ze sho. Nyo ze tai. Nyo ze riki. Nyo ze sa. Nyo ze in. Nyo ze en. Nyo ze ka. Nyo ze ho. Nyo ze honmak^kukyo to.
Myo ho ren ge kyo. Nyorai ju-ryo-hon. Dai ju-roku.
Ji ga toku bur^rai. Sho kyo sho kosshu. Muryo hyaku sen man. Oku sai asogi. Jo seppo kyoke Mushu oku shujo. Ryo nyu o butsu-do. Nirai muryo ko. I do shujo ko. Hoben gen nehan. Ni jitsu fu metsu-do. Jo ju shi seppo. Ga jo ju o shi. I sho jin-zu-riki. Ryo tendo shujo. Sui gon ni fu ken. Shu ken ga metsu-do. Ko kuyo shari. Gen kai e renbo. Ni sho katsu-go shin. Shujo ki shin-buku. Shichi-jiki i nyunan. Isshin yok^ken butsu. Fu ji shaku shinmyo. Ji ga gyu shuso. Ku shutsu ryojusen. Ga ji go shujo. Jo zai shi fu-metsu. I hoben-rik^ko. Gen u metsu fu-metsu. Yo-koku u shujo. Kugyo shingyo sha. Ga bu o hi chu. I setsu mujo ho. Nyoto fu mon shi. Tan ni ga metsu-do. Ga ken sho shujo. Motsu-zai o kukai. Ko fu i gen shin. Ryo go sho katsu-go. In go shin renbo. Nai shutsu i seppo. Jin-zu riki nyo ze. O asogi ko. Jo zai ryo jusen. Gyu yo sho jusho. Shujo ken ko jin. Dai ka sho sho ji. Ga shi do annon. Tennin jo juman. Onrin sho do-kaku. Shuju ho Shogon. Hoju ta keka. Shujo sho yu-raku. Shoten gyaku tenku. Jo sas^shu gi-gaku. U mandara ke. San butsu gyu daishu. Ga jodo fu ki. Ni shu ken sho jin. Ufu sho kuno. Nyo ze shitsu juman. Ze sho zai shujo. I aku-go innen. Ka asogi ko. Fu mon sanbo myo. Sho u shu ku-doku. Nyuwa shichi-jiki sha. Sokkai ken gashin. Zai shi ni seppo. Waku-ji i shi shu. Setsu butsu-ju muryo. Ku nai ken bussha. I setsu butsu nan chi. Ga chi-riki nyo ze. Eko sho muryo. Jumyo mushu ko. Ku shugo sho toku. Nyoto u chi sha. Mot^to shi sho gi. To dan ryo yo jin. Butsu-go jip^puko. Nyo i zen hoben. I ji o shi ko. Jitsu zai ni gon shi. Mu no sek^komo. Ga yaku i se bu. Ku sho kugen sha. I bonbu tendo. Jitsu zai ni gon metsu. I joken ga ko. Ni sho kyoshi shin. Ho-itsu jaku go-yoku. Da o aku-do chu. Ga jo chi shujo. Gyo do fu gyo do. Zui o sho ka do. I ses^shuju ho. Mai ji sa ze nen. I ga ryo shujo. Toku nyu mu-jo do. Soku joju busshin.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I'm sending daimoku to all the chanting growers, their children, and the people who shakubukued us. Let's keep winning together and chanting everyday!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I'm chanting everyday and today advancing our cause with good deeds, lending a helping hand, and shakubuku! To is a great day to share this Buddhism with others!

Let's keep cultivating our SGI network and continue supporting the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout the world and in every universe!

Status
Not open for further replies.