What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thank you Thomas for reminding me of this:
"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood."

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Wow, dudes! So sorry to be gone so long. I honestly have been too busy to even look in, so I am posting this blind, and will catch up reading later. I hope you are all well! Just got back from haing knee surgery that seems to have gone exceptionally well, but a bit disheartened to become informed on just how much old age is catching up with me!

Much love and deepest respect to you all!

*I'll now be getting my butt back in gear out of the deepest of deep debts of gratitude I owe to you all! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Thomas

Wow buddy hope you are on the mend quickly. My mother had her knee replace just about a month ago now. Seems to be bouncing back quickly. She is always a source of inspiration at age 86 and still working :)
Great to see you posting up . Take it easy and get healed up !!!~
Nam myoho renge kyo

TheDanishBuddha

I try to crawl up from the whole, but when I am almost succeeding I fall down again. Why is that? Because I did in fact not base my life on the lotus sutra! But I will now! Deep inside myself I know what I have to do! Then do it!!!!! I want to start my human revolution now where I am in the driving seat!

PassTheDoobie take good care of yourself and have a speedy recovery!

Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The most important thing is that we take one step forwards and do our best to win in today's challenges. Challenging ourselves enables us to conquer our weakness. By patiently making such a steady effort everyday, we can lead truly glorious lives that shine brilliantly!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Therefore, I say to you, my disciples, try practicing as the Lotus Sutra teaches, exerting yourselves without begrudging your lives! Test the truth of Buddhism now!"

(The Selection of the Time - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 583) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, April 23rd, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Our commitment is to help all people bring forth their Buddha nature." By making the profound vow to achieve kosen-rufu, let's joyfully engage in dialogue as the forefront of our activities. Everyone has the potential for positive change.* By reaching out to others with a courageous voice, let's help as many people as possible to form a connection with Buddhism!

*"Everyone has the potential for positive change. Because we believe in the Buddha nature of each person, we don’t prejudge others or write them off... When we help someone form a connection to Buddhism, they will change in a positive way without fail through the power of the Mystic Law... Courage is the key!"

(Editorial from the April 2012 issue of Daibyakurenge)

Payaso

Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Welcome to TheDanishBuddha!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Chanting works...hope you enjoy this thread and find as much helpful insight and foresight as you can.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Welcome back Doob. Missed you homie!

El payaso, is really the opposite of Pagliacci and is shining star for all to behold and love. You are beaming so much compassion brother! We thank you and are pleased with your heart's delightful prose and chants! Keep keeping on bro, you're a sight to behold!

Babba! :bighug: man i'd give alot to burn a nice stash with you right now. I agree with your sentiment and I'm so glad to hear your mom is doing splendid! She must inspire so many people already and her recovery will really brighten the community and especially our hearts. I really love how Mrs.Babba has held you close to her heart and been the best partner in all the universes for you. She's another amazing woman that I'm sure Nichiren refers to in all those Goshos that reference the greatness of women! DEAR MOMMA! WE ALL APPRECIATE!

Bonzino! Brother we're getting old everyday, but how awesome has our journey with the Gohonzon over these few years. Spanning websites and threads - we're drawn to this Bodhisattva lifestyle and living proof that we're changing our familYs karma 7 years into the past and 7 years into the future. So glad to be a part of your new thread and let's keep shakubukuing forever and ever brother! :bighug:

We're winning by virtue of this thread's continued growth and Danish's new determination that I will share in! Hey Big D, we have a chanting growers saying around these parts and its:

DON'T BE AFRAID. DON'T BE DEFEATED. FAITH! VICTORY OF GOLD!

I'm going to do a 5 hour toso for my successful results on my next placement exam this weekend and I'll be sending everyone abundant daimoku!

THANK YOU!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is only a single sentence or phrase."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 386) Selection source: Myoji no Gen, Seikyo Shimbun, April 24th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Mr. Toda said: 'True greatness means that, even if you forget what you’ve done for others, you never forget what others have done for you and always do your utmost to repay your debts of gratitude. Therein shines the light of Buddhism. Such people radiate integrity, depth of character, generosity, and charm.'

"This, too, is the conclusion at which I have arrived after more than 60 years of Buddhist practice. I have seen many different people—people who have lived lives of gratitude, people who have been ingrates. Those who have a sense of appreciation and gratitude are loved and trusted by everyone and lead lives of tremendous fulfillment and satisfaction. Based on the Daishonin’s teachings, it is clear that the inner radiance of those who embody true gratitude will imbue their lives with indestructible good fortune and benefit throughout the three existences."

SGI Newsletter No. 8487, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory, [36] "The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude." Youth, Become Champions of Humanism Who Shine with the Supreme Philosophy of the Mystic Law!, from the January 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated April 6th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The essence of our Buddhist practice lies in the pledge made between mentor and disciple. Those who remember this resolve and resolutely uphold it, throughout their lives, are eternal victors.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Anyone who teaches the principles of Buddhism to others is bound to incur hatred from men and women, priests and nuns. Let them say what they will."

(The Embankments of Faith - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 626) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, April 18th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Daishonin discusses 'treating those who are less fortunate with pity and kindness [or compassion]' (WND-2, 636). We should always have compassion for the vulnerable or disadvantaged, he says, and show care and concern for them as if they were our own children (cf. WND-2, 636). The phrase 'less fortunate' does not imply that such people are in any way inferior, but only recognises the differences in social position, age, and experience that objectively exist and indicates that there are times when we should take the initiative in helping others.

"The Japanese word for compassion, jihi, is comprised of two characters which respectively represent the Sanskrit words maitri, meaning 'friendship,' and karuna, meaning 'pity' or 'sympathy.' The Nirvana Sutra, Nagarjuna's Treatise on the Great Perfection of Wisdom, and other Buddhist scriptures define compassion as 'relieving suffering and imparting joy.' As such, Buddhist compassion constitutes true friendship and the wish for the happiness of one's friends.

"As the ancient Roman philosopher Cicero wrote: 'You might just as well take the sun out of the sky as friendship from life.'[1] Cicero also said that people should not 'want such a friend as they are unable to be themselves, and expect from their friends what they do not themselves give. The fair course is first to be good yourself, and then to look out for another of like character.'[2]

"Friendship and compassion, then, start with becoming a good friend yourself.

"Mr. Toda said: 'There is no stronger force in the world than compassion.' And he often taught us: 'Courage is the face of compassion.'

"Concerned about your friends' happiness, you actively reach out to them. You say what needs to be said. You think about your friends, do whatever you can for them, chant for them - truly, sharing the Mystic Law with others and spreading the teachings and principles of the Daishonin's Buddhism are actions of supreme courage and compassion."

SGI Newsletter No. 8487, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory, [36] "The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude." Youth, Become Champions of Humanism Who Shine with the Supreme Philosophy of the Mystic Law!, from the January 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated April 6th, 2012

[1] Marcus Tullius Cicero, Letters of Marcus Tullius Cicero, with His Treatises on Friendship and Old Age, translated by E. S. Shuckburgh and edited by Charles W. Eliot (New York: P. F. Collier and Son, 1909), p. 25.
[2] Ibid., p. 36.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Every day, come rain or shine, I carry on an inner dialogue with my late mentor, second Soka Gakkai president Josei Toda.

"His eyes shining intensely, Mr. Toda once said: 'We would be betraying Nichiren Daishonin’s spirit to "secure the peace of the land through establishing the correct teaching," if we ignored the suffering in society and closed ourselves off in the world of religion, content just to sit in peace and quiet and chant daimoku. The practice of Buddhism lies in the struggle to eliminate misery and suffering from the world, to defend human rights and human dignity, and to build a peaceful society.'

"There is no such thing as happiness for oneself alone.

"What our society today needs more than anything is the spirit of empathy—the ability to put ourselves in the shoes of those who are facing hardship and suffering, and to truly understand and share what they are going through.

"In The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, the Daishonin states: 'The varied sufferings that all living beings undergo—all these are Nichiren’s own sufferings' (OTT,138). Buddhist compassion shines in these words.

"When the spirit of compassion becomes the bedrock of society and is embodied by society’s leaders, the future will be bright with hope."

SGI Newsletter No. 8490, On Our Shared Journey for Kosen-rufu, (7) Enabling Others to Form a Connection with Nichiren Buddhism, from the March 25, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 12th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It also states that, if the minds of living beings are impure, their land is also impure, but if their minds are pure, so is their land. There are not two lands, pure or impure in themselves. The difference lies solely in the good or evil of our minds."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 4) Selection source: Teachings of Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, April 12th, 2012

Bonzo

Veteran
"It also states that, if the minds of living beings are impure, their land is also impure, but if their minds are pure, so is their land. There are not two lands, pure or impure in themselves. The difference lies solely in the good or evil of our minds."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 4) Selection source: Teachings of Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, April 12th, 2012

Nam myoho renge kyo! :woohoo:

peace!

i feel SO ALIVE TODAY!!!

I HOPE YOU ALL DO TOO!!! if you dont...MAKE IT SO!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

:peacock:

Payaso

Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

The spring energy today was awesome... I watched some baby sprouts growing before my eyes in the afternoon warmth.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I hope everyone is feeling real good! (Keep recovering well T!)

--TO MY FRIENDS--
Let's transform sorrow into joy
and despair into hope!
That is what prayer is for.
Resolve to absolutely win
and advance based on daimoku.

Translation of "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--わが友に贈る--
悲哀を歓喜に!
 絶望を希望に!
 そのための「祈り」だ。
 絶対に勝つと決め
 題目根本の前進を!

--WAGA TOMO NI OKURU--
HIAI O KANKI NI!
ZETSUBO O KIBO NI!
SONO TAME NO "INORI" DA.
ZETTAI NI KATSU TO KIME
DAIMOKU KONPON NO ZENSHIN O!

"The five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, the heart of the essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra, contain the benefit amassed through the countless practices and meritorious deeds of all Buddhas throughout the three existences. Then, how can these five characters not include the benefits obtained by observing all of the Buddhas' precepts?"
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 481
The Teaching, Practice and Proof
Written to Sammi-bo on March 21, 1275

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thanks man! This cold got much worse these last couple of days. Chris, you know I will do anything I can to help you in any way! I'll be back in touch soon!

Much love and deepest respect,

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts