What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
YES PTD, it really helped! Miss you Bro!

YES PTD, it really helped! Miss you Bro!

First of all, as you noted, the Daishonin makes clear that the nature of devotion to any of the other schools promoting Shakyamuni's teachings (sutras) other than the Lotus is to be considered slander in the Latter Day of the Law. This is because of Shakyamuni's admonishment to disregard all of his previous teachings pertaining to the Three Vehicles as having been expedient means to prepare for One Vehicle teaching of the Lotus Sutra. However, there is no focus in any of Nichiren's writings pertaining to anything being a slander outside of devotion to these teachings that Shakyamuni instructed to disregard. Are non-Buddhist teachings acknowledged as incorrect? Yes. Does the Daishonin label them as slanderous? NO!!!

However, let's be clear about that. According to the Daishonin's teachings, is it a slander to practice Christianity/Judism/Islam? NO! IS IT A SLANDER TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT, OR DEMEAN THROUGH ONE'S ACTIONS, THE LOTUS SUTRA OR THOSE PRACTICING ACCORDING TO THIS SUTRA'S TEACHINGS BECAUSE ONE BELIEVES IN AND IS PRACTICING CHRISTIANITY/JUDISM/ISLAM? YES! YES! YES!

So in my opinion, your friend is on the cusp. What is most important is what is in his heart. Where does he place the basis of his faith in life? Frankly, only he can know that. Since that's the case, be careful of slandering him. Like you said, who are we to judge? What did he say was his reason for practicing both faiths? What does he feel he is deriving from doing it that way? You can express your concern about behavior that you feel may take him in the wrong direction, but to declare it wrong, is presumptuous, because NO ONE can truly know another persons faith. That is something that is ultimately revealed over the course of a lifetime, not in a given moment.

Same thing for the Christmas Tree. Is she celebrating the Birth of Christ as the Son of God? Or is she just wanting to be festive for the holidays and make a homey feeling that gives her a sense of warmth and satisfaction-a sense of family and well being--a sense of love? You can see the answer. Your Buddha Nature should be shouting it out to you now. I am sure it is.

As far as: "Are they slandering their Buddhanature" No. (So long as they are not following the teachings which were instructed to disregard.) Are they obscuring it and depriving themselves a path toward lasting happiness? Yes. (but that is delusion, not slander; it's part of being a human being living in the Ten Worlds)

"and if so am I complicit in that slander by letting them continue living their lives without at least an objection to why they should be chanting instead?" Always object!!! Out of mercy, you should always let them know about the Law! But never encourage someone to chant because they are destined to suffer if they don't chant. A person doing that would be creating slander by distorting the teachings of the Daishonin into their own narrow view.

"Am I begrudging their lives at that point if I do voice anything to the contrary?" No. It is your job to voice it as a Bodhisattva of the Earth. However, that does not give us a right to disrespect another or be disrespectful (unless they are a slanderer, because then they have destroyed respect worthiness and MUST be rebuked).

"How wrong if it is wrong, is it to tell someone they need to start chanting in order to save their lives. (I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE A LUNATIC, but i have felt that way, recently with my father trying to get him to come out to a meeting and support me when I lead my group for our study meeting this thrusday at my place)" It is never wrong, and it should never be necessary to sound like a lunatic.

Lastly, SGI is not trying to "get rid of (Nichiren) Shoshu" (Temple). They are fighting back at slander that has been directed toward them. Find me a member of NST that doesn't have a slanderous opinion of Daisaku Ikeda. The Daishonin instucts us to be "As indivsible as fish and the water in which they swim..." Which party precipited the division between the two? Find me an NST member that even remotely knows the true nature of the history of their sect! I have yet to!

They need priests to reveal their Buddha Nature? Frankly I do not! Nor do you! THAT SINGLE POINT IS WHY THE SGI IS FIGHTING TO RE-AWAKEN THOSE NST MEMBERS. ALMOST ALL OF THEM WERE ONCE SGI THAT WERE FRIGHTENED BY THE THREATS OF THE PRIESTS OF WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THEM WHEN SGI WAS EXCOMMUNICATED BY THE NS PRIESTHOOD!

The Buddha Nature of anyone is not to be slandered! Not us; not them! What has that got to do with propagating the Correct Teaching in the Latter Day of the Law? Don't ever be happy to see someone with a practice that leaves them a slave when they are not.

YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE MYOHODISCO. Keep chanting and do your best! This is something that must come from your heart. One of my best friends is a temple member. We love each other. We both love the Gohonzon. We have both been chanting over thirty years.

And he never discusses the issue with me because I eat his lunch with the facts everytime he opens his mouth about it. I have already proven to him that the nature of the Gohonzon is not about whether one has been blessed by the High Priest. AND I NEVER CHANT TO HIS GOHONZON! (both times I have tried in these many years since the split, I have gotten immediately sick.)

But what purpose would be served by offending him or severing our relationship? My hope is to change his mind in my lifetime. The reality of that being accomplished is not up to me. He has a karma and I have no control over it. But I'll never give up trying.

A Buddha's compassion is limitless.

(I hope this helped)

T

This thread has been my lifeline for years. Here I am sitting somewhere that I couldn't even imagine being in 7 years ago. 6 Years into my practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism and I'm looking forward towards that lucky 7th year of faith and a the rest of this awesome life as a Bodhisattva of the Earth!

Who's a Bodhisattva of the Earth... Its those of us who chant, uphold the Lotus Sutra, and shakubuku. Shakubuku is not like throwing a life saver at a person drowning in the ocean, its like: jumping into the ocean, and helping the other person swim to shore. We're all in this life together. You dig?

easyDaimoku

Veteran
In theThe Four Stages of Faith and Five Stages of Practice the Daishonin is quoted saying "

Question: For practitioners in the Latter Day of the Law, who have just aroused the aspiration for enlightenment, what types of practice are restricted?

Answer: Such persons are restricted from practicing almsgiving, the keeping of the precepts, and the others of the five paramitas, and are directed to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo exclusively. This practice corresponds to the capacity of persons at the stages of "producing even a single moment of belief and understanding" and "rejoicing on hearing the Lotus Sutra." It represents the true intention of the Lotus Sutra.

If you couple that incredible question and answer with a post by PTD in reference to another great Gosho;

One who, on hearing the teachings of the Lotus Sutra, makes even greater efforts in faith is a true seeker of the way. T'ien-t'ai states, "From the indigo, an even deeper blue." This passage means that, if one dyes something repeatedly in indigo, it becomes even bluer than the indigo leaves. The Lotus Sutra is like the indigo, and the strength of one's practice is like the deepening blue."

Hell is the land of tranquil light,
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, pg# 457)
Written to Ueno-ama Gozen on 11 July 1274 from Minobu

So then we go back to the Gosho The Four Stages of Faith and Five Stages of Practice:

In volume nine of The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra it is stated: "There is a danger that a beginner will be led astray by subordinate concerns, and that this will interfere with the primary practice. The beginner should directly give all his attention to embracing this sutra; that is the highest type of offering. If one sets aside formal practices but maintains the principle, then the benefits will be many and far-reaching." In this passage of commentary, "subordinate concerns" refers to the five paramitas. If the beginner tries to practice the five paramitas at the same time that he embraces the Lotus Sutra, that may work to obstruct his primary practice, which is faith. Such a person will be like a small ship that is loaded with wealth and treasure and sets out to cross the sea. Both the ship and the treasure will sink.
And the words "should directly give all his attention to embracing this sutra" do not refer to the sutra as a whole. They mean that one should embrace the daimoku, or title, of the sutra exclusively and not mix it with other passages. Even recitation of the entire sutra is not permitted. How much less are the five paramitas!

**So I read this Gosho a few months ago for the first time when PasstheDoobie suggested to me I should, and it was hard to really comprehend, so now when I spend a couple hours studying this Gosho an amazing message comes out clear as this day, "ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO CHANT Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" and that is sincerely what I doing. Do not burden yourself with the possiblity of losing focus early on in your practice instead go ahead and "polish your mirror" and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and reunite yourself with Gohonzon.

Who originally told me this you may be wondering, none other that Thus Come One PasstheDoobie, how could I doubt him? Even more importantly how could I doubt Nichiren Daishonin's words! Its as clear as this day has been (I am very grateful today for the excellent weather in my area), If you don't understand my words go chant about it, if someone does something that is beyond your immediate comprehension or a course of events take place that you need to re-evaluate chant about it, if someone or something is obstructing your growth or happiness chant about it, if your just starting this practice for xyz reasons chant about them, if your in need of guidance that you don't trust anyone to help you with chant about it, if your in need of something chant about it, if you have a desire and wish to bring it to fruition chant about it. You cannot fail!

Instill/arouse this deep faith into your life and as your progress keep chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, eventually you will always triumph, this is fortold in the Lotus Sutra and by Nichiren Daishonin himself, how can you ever be defeated again if you embrace the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra?

*I hope this finds you well and raises your spirits, go out and do the same for others! Turn the 'poison into medicine'.* :wave:

Grow in your own life, improve your plants, improve your "work" environment, open up your heart to release any prejudice, and continue to chant everyday my friends. The Gohonzon!

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Thank you easy for these words of wisdom!

Grow in your own life, improve your plants, improve your "work" environment, open up your heart to release any prejudice, and continue to chant everyday my friends. The Gohonzon!

While I don't have a Gohonzon I do chant daily, it works!

Thanks for keeping the thread alive while Thomas is on vacation, I hope he is having a fine time and enjoying life.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Hey Everyone! Hi T, I hope you are having the best vacation ever, and how old (young) are the kids?

Easy, Babba, Payaso, Boucing Bonzo, (hehe) good to see you guys tuning in to a very favorite place of mine now for six long years. We've all aged alittle, like good wine!

I love you all and everyone who has touched this thread, "The Chanting Growers!"

desi

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda
Sunday, April 8, 2012:
Great individuals fight abuses of authority. The truly strong do not lord it over the weak. People of genuine strength and courage battle against the powerful, the arrogant, the authoritarian, the evil and corrupt-all who look down on the people with contempt.

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
Sunday, April 8, 2012:
Nichiren writes, "If you light a lantern for another, it will also brighten your own way." Please be confident that the higher your flame of altruistic action burns, the more its light will suffuse your life with happiness. Those who possess an altruistic spirit are the happiest people of all.

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Sunday, April 8, 2012:
Above all, both you and your husband are upholders of the Lotus Sutra. You will surely bear a jewel of a child who is going to inherit the seed for the propagation of the Lotus Sutra. I wholeheartedly congratulate you. The child is one who will inherit both your physical and spiritual aspects.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 186
Easy Delivery of a Fortune Child

easyDaimoku

Veteran
--TO MY FRIENDS--
Spring is upon us!
Dramatic encounters begin
with a courageous first step.
Heart to heart exchanges are
our life's treasures.

Translation of "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--わが友に贈る--
さあ春到来!
 勇気の一歩から
 出会いのドラマが!
 心と心の交流こそ
 わが人生の宝なり!

--WAGA TOMO NI OKURU--
SA HARU TORAI!
YUKI NO IPPO KARA
DEAI NO DORAMA GA!
KOKORO TO KOKORO NO KORYU KOSO
WAGA JINSEI NO TAKARA NARI!

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Let's all chant for DoobieDuck who has broken his shoulder :) and I hope he feels better as soon as possible.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
"The rice plant flowers and bears grain, but its spirit remains in the soil. This is the reason the stalk sprouts to flower and bear grain once again. The blessings that Nichiren obtains from propagating the Lotus Sutra will always return to Dozen-bo. How sublime! It is said that, if a teacher has a good disciple, both will gain the fruit of Buddhahood, but if a teacher fosters a bad disciple, both will fall into hell. If teacher and disciple are of different minds, they will never accomplish anything."
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 909
Flowering and Bearing Grain
Written to Joken-bo and Gijo-bo in April 1278

easyDaimoku

Veteran
April 16, 2012

--WORDS OF THE WEEK--
Congratulations on the anniversary
of the publication of the Seikyo Newspaper.
Let's express our heartfelt appreciation to
the remarkable efforts of our "uncrowned friends,"
the Seikyo newspaper deliverers, and
regional correspondents.
Today, again, let's strive to realize President Toda's
dream of having people throughout the world
read our organizational newspaper.

--TO MY FRIENDS--
It is essential for leaders to
be aware of our fellow members
who are making strenuous efforts
behind the scenes.
Let's make paramount efforts to praise one another,
remembering to voice the appreciation
we feel in our hearts.

Translations of "Words of the Week" and "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--今週の言葉--
 聖教の創刊記念日、万歳!
 尊き無冠の友、通信員の
 偉大な労苦に心から感謝!
 「世界中の人に読ませたい」
 恩師の夢へ今日も前進!

--わが友に贈る--
リーダーの要件は
 陰で奮闘する友を
 見つけ出すことだ。
 感謝の心を声にして
 最大に讃え合おう!

--KONSHU NO KOTOBA--
SEIKYO NO SOKAN KINENBI, BANZAI!
TOTOKI MUKAN NO TOMO, TSUSHIN-IN NO
IDAI NA ROKU NO KOKORO KARA KANSHA!
"SEKAI NO HITO NI YOMASETAI"
ONSHI NO YUME E KYO MO ZENSHIN!

--WAGA TOMO NI OKURU--
"Leader" NO YOKEN WA
KAGE DE FUNTO SURU TOMO O
MITSUKE DASU KOTO DA.
KANSHA NO KOKORO O
KOE NI SHITE SAIDAI NI TATAE AO!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Sensei wants us all to "GROW!" - grow yer asses off friends!

Sensei wants us all to "GROW!" - grow yer asses off friends!

April 17, 2012

--TO MY FRIENDS--
To all the people who are advancing
along new paths, now is the time to
develop your strengths and abilities.
Thoroughly cultivate one sphere of endeavor
in which you can excel and no one else can rival.
Build a foundation for your lifetime.

Translation of "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--わが友に贈る--
新たな道を進む友よ
 今は力をつける時だ。
焦らず、じっくりと
 「十年一剣」を磨け!
生涯の土台をつくれ!

--WAGA TOMO NI OKURU--
ARATA NA MICHI O SUSUMU TOMO YO
IMA WA CHIKARA O TSUKERU TOKI DA.
ASERAZU, JIKKURI TO
"JUNEN IKKEN" O MIGAKE!
SHOGAI NO DODAI O TSUKURE!