What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I'm striving to do better on the GMAT!

I'm striving to do better on the GMAT!

If a tree is deeply rooted, its branches and leaves will never wither. If the spring is inexhaustible, the stream will never run dry. Without wood, a fire will burn out. Without earth, plants will not grow. I, Nichiren, am indebted solely to my late teacher, Dozen-bo, for my having become the votary of the Lotus Sutra and my being widely talked about now, in both a good and bad sense. Nichiren is like the plant, and my teacher, the earth.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 909
Flowering and Bearing Grain

Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda
Thursday, March 22, 2012:
I call to each of you: Strive for prosperity! Strive for development! Strive for victory! Life is about striving all out to achieve our aims; it is about hard work and effort. Regardless of how smart you may be, intelligence alone cannot guarantee your future.

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
Thursday, March 22, 2012:
Life is full of unexpected suffering. Even so, as Eleanor Roosevelt said: "If you can live through that [a difficult situation] you can live through anything. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." That's exactly right. Struggling against great difficulty enables us to develop ourselves tremendously. We can call forth and manifest those abilities lying dormant within us. Difficulty can be a source of dynamic growth and positive progress.

:thank you:

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I've met many people since I started practicing Buddhism that have spoken to me about God, Jesus, Mohammed, "the Buddha", the President, their heroes, etc. I have met many people throughout my life that claim to rely on religion, and others that clearly do. I have met many people that don't care at all about religion, and others that totally despise the idea of religion.

There are all kinds of people in the world. There are "know-it-alls" and "know-nothings". However, I feel that most people lie somewhere in between those two extremes.

On this thread I've learned to appreciate everyone I just mentioned! I have learned to honor all humans! Some people have come here (rarely) indicating that they "grasp the profundity of this Buddhism", then I never saw another post from them on the topic. I guess its because after 6 years, I still feel like I'm scratching the surface of what this practice of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism holds for me and I get caught up in appreciating every single human being sharing their existence with me this moment.

Suffice to say, I've read some strange things on this thread, but sadly those people never came back to further participate in our ongoing dailogue. Buddhism is reason and somethings I've read by non-Nichiren Buddhists on this thread have been unreasonable. Some things I've also said have been summarily unreasonable!

My point is: WE'RE ALL HUMANS! Even the sickest, most distorted people are still humans! Babba has said thousands of times(through his sig) Be good Humans. Dang Bud, I'm trying everyday to be a good human! Thanks for pointing that out over the years and thanks for helping me become a better person.

In this Buddhism we don't throw the metaphorical lifesaver tube into the ocean towards your direction and hope you live.... In this Buddhism of the Sun, we learn through appreciation of our lives and the lives of others that this Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin illuminates the entire world! We jump into the ocean with you, grab on, and swim to shore together! The daimoku, or "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" is our prayer. This prayer instantly creates hope, so our prayer is none other than the Sun of Hope! Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, and the Soka Gakkai International is the Sun that illuminates the entire world!

I've been out of touch with my local members and still hope to start seeing some chanting faces sooner than later, but I took the initiative to attend a meeting last weekend and it was the best move I made in months! I have felt renewed and refreshed all week. All i did was chant with others for 30 minutes and participate in a discussion on Buddhism for another 45 minutes. That was it! No Gimmicks! Just good feelings and a good time!

On Page 1011, I vow to do an excellent job on my next test (in May), and hope to report an amazing victory to all of you. You are my friends and know more about me than anyone I can name, if you have been diligently reading every page for over 6 years now. Even if you just started reading recently, consider me a friend and let's keep going forward towards the warm Rising Sun that is the Gohonzon! If you still don't have a Gohonzon, what are you waiting for? If you have a Gohonzon and are not chanting, let me know so I could support you somehow and help you get the ball rolling! Many people have been there for me since I started this practice and through them I learned to "get over myself" (most of the time) and appreciate every person.

I appreciate you for reading this and hope you advance throughout this Spring and into the Summer of your life!

All my warmest and best wishes to all,
Easy

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a Gohonzon ... am chanting .. although never as much as i should or could or would like to ... Love the support !!
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I have a Gohonzon ... am chanting .. although never as much as i should or could or would like to ... Love the support !!
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo

YEAH BUDDY! In my post I intended to say Mrs.Babba's sig because yours clearly says: MUGI WASSHIN! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thank you Easy for sharing that ... it's very encouraging indeed to hear others tell of their experiences along the road of life...and to hear how chanting has affected them.

So many people have stopped in along the way it's impossible to remember them all, but we are blessed to have them see us chanting so peacefully.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Skip around... I joined at around page 150 (I think) and started documenting everything about my life over the past 6 years. Quite the journey! I never kept a diary or journal for more than a month, but my life is here in this thread.

My advice (cliff notes version): Skip the reading, go to an SGI center and just start chanting in front of the Gohonzon. Setup a little area so you could put your chanting altar up and then get a Gohonzon from the SGI and chant away! Most of us have a Gohonzon, and welcome to fold! Or rather wecome back!

:)
thanks I will try that, and you will be my mentor if that doesn't work! :D

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Much love to you brother Chris! Big hug to Nor'Easter!

Much love to you brother Chris! Big hug to Nor'Easter!

thanks I will try that, and you will be my mentor if that doesn't work! :D

My friend, once you chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo you are the mentor! I'm learning so much everyday from just chanting and studying about this Buddhism. However, its more important for me to obtain that actual proof that this practice is all about.

I wouldn't have continued chanting if it didn't give me concrete and tangible results. With that said, I'm aspiring to continue to accumulate treasures of heart - while living a continuing comfortable existance. Its important though to recognize through Nichiren Daishonin's life, that those who uphold the Lotus Sutra (through the practice of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo) won't have it easy. Thats because its easy to begin but hard to continue and Buddhahood lies in continuing faith.

There is more to Nichiren Buddhism than tangible goodness, there is also the inconspicuous benefits and protection of the extended into our lives through shoten-zenjin, or the protective forces of nature that serve to protect us as we develop our practice. I also can say without a doubt that I've vastly improved as a person because that has been my intent from jump street.

Buddhism is reason, don't ever think anything on this thread goes beyond you or above your head! This Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is for everyone and even the dullest mind is supremely capable of chanting and enjoying the benefits of chanting at home, in the shower, in the car, in the woods, on top of a mountain, or sitting on your boat in the middle of a lake! Anywhere we go, we carry the treasure of our heart! In your heart is where you will find Nichiren and the essence of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Its like when you really start chanting you uncover what was already there, an eternal bond with the Myoho-renge-kyo Gohonzon Buddha and a mission as a Bodhisattva of the Earth to live your life of limitless potential as you see fit. Trust your heart! Trust your wisdom when you chant. Then take some action!!

Action is the key to tangible results, chant then take action; chant then take action. Repeat! Go forward in your life, don't let anything hold you back. Its from this moment going forward!!! Thanks for inspiring my morning good friends!

March 24, 2012

--TO MY FRIENDS--
Let's take utmost precautions
against traffic accidents.
Adhere to the speed limit and
give yourself plenty of time
to get to your destination.
Strictly observe traffic laws
such as use of mobile phones
while driving, and
keep your eyes on the road.

Translation of "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--わが友に贈る--
交通事故に注意を!
 時間に余裕を持ち
 制限速度を守れ!
 携帯電話の使用や
 わき見運転は厳禁!

--WAGA TOMO NI OKURU--
KOTSU JIKO NI CHUI O!
JIKAN NI YOYU O MOCHI
SEIGEN SOKUDO O MAMORE!
KEITAI DENWA NO SHIYO YA
WAKIMI UNTEN WA GENKIN!

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Sunday, March 25, 2012:
A wife who leads her husband to take faith will enjoy the same benefit as Lady Pure Virtue. All the more fortunate is a case like yours, in which both wife and husband have faith! It is like a bird possessing two wings, or a cart having two wheels. What is there that you two cannot achieve? Because there is a heaven and an earth, a sun and a moon, the sun shines and the rain falls, and the plants and trees of benefit will surely blossom and bear fruit.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 915
An Outline of the "Entrustment" and Other Chapters
Written to Nichinyo on June 25, 1278

Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda
Sunday, March 25, 2012:
We are no longer in an age when one person can shoulder everything. Of course, for the day-to-day running of the organization someone will still be officially designated as president, but ultimately our future development hinges on every member having the commitment required of a Soka Gakkai president. With this spirit, this sense of responsibility, this leadership in your activities, may you always work for kosen-rufu and for the victory of the people. May you also build a Soka Gakkai where everyone can advance joyfully, a Soka Gakkai of undying progress.

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
Sunday, March 25, 2012:
The significance of Buddhism lies both in the discovery of the Buddha nature in all beings and in the establishment of a practical method for bringing it out, so that human beings can derive maximum meaning from their lives. This reformation of the inner human world—what we in the Soka Gakkai call human revolution—is especially relevant to modern civilization, which has long been trapped in a sort of spiritual quicksand. We can escape the quicksand by calling forth the supreme human potential available to each of us.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
March 25, 2012

--TO MY FRIENDS--
[The Daishonin encourages us to]
"[treat] one's friends with courtesy."(*)
Action brimming with sincerity is the
primary requirement for gaining trust.
Our every word should reflect our
heartfelt wish for our friend's happiness.

(*)"The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude," WND 2, p. 636

Translation of "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--わが友に贈る--
 「友にあふて礼あれ」
 誠実な振る舞いが
 信頼の第一条件だ。
 相手の幸福を願う
 真心の一言一言を!

--WAGA TOMO NI OKURU--
"TOMO NI AUTE REI ARE"
SEIJITSU NA FURUMAI GA
SHINRAI NO DAIICHI JOKEN DA.
AITE NO KOFUKU O NEGAU
MAGOKORO NO HITOKOTO HITOKOTO O!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

The heart of the Lotus Sutra is its title, or the daimoku, of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Truly, if you chant this in the morning and evening, you are correctly reading the entire Lotus Sutra. Chanting daimoku twice is the same as reading the entire sutra twice, one hundred daimoku equal one hundred readings of the sutra, and a thousand daimoku, a thousand readings of the sutra. Thus, if you ceaselessly chant daimoku, you will be continually reading the Lotus Sutra.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 923
The One Essential Phrase
Written to the lay nun Myoho on July 3, 1278

easyDaimoku

Veteran
You really inspired me recently with your faith brother!

You really inspired me recently with your faith brother!

Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo
Nam myoho renge kyo

I'm with you BrotherBud!

Mugi Wasshin my man!

Bonzo

Veteran
good morning my friends!

that peacock is so cool, i used it yesterday in a post in my NEW THREAD!

"Bonzo BoUnCeS back" dont know how to make a link, its in the Grow Diaries section
(shameless plug)

come by and say hi

nam myoho renge kyo
nam myoho renge kyo
nam myoho renge kyo

:)

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I just celebrated my 6th Gohonzon Anniversary last week and today I feel HAPPY!

I just celebrated my 6th Gohonzon Anniversary last week and today I feel HAPPY!

Thank you Bonz! I already checked in brother!

What can I say folks... I'm thrilled to be posting today, life is so good, and I'm doing human revolution everyday. Chanting more daimoku towards my 7th anniversary will be my goal throughout 2012 and into the Spring of 2013!

We're the highest quality medicinal plants that also happen to be the biggest trees!

parable of the three kinds of medicinal herbs and two kinds of trees
[三草二木の譬] (Jpn sanso-nimoku-no-tatoe ) Also, parable of the medicinal herbs. One of the seven parables in the Lotus Sutra. Shakyamuni relates this parable to Mahakashyapa and others in the "Parable of the Medicinal Herbs" (fifth) chapter to reiterate his teaching in the previous three chapters ("Expedient Means," "Simile and Parable," and "Belief and Understanding") that the Buddha's true purpose is the revelation of the one vehicle of Buddhahood, but that, because of the differences in people's capacity, he first expounds the three vehicles and the five vehicles as provisional teachings. In the parable, a great cloud envelops the world and sends down lifegiving rain equally upon all the grasses, flowers, trees, and medicinal herbs. Though the rain is the same, the plants, trees, and medicinal herbs absorb the moisture differently and grow to varying heights according to their individual natures. Similarly, the Buddha impartially expounds only the one vehicle of Buddhahood for all people, but they understand and benefit from it differently according to their respective capacities.
The three kinds of medicinal herbs appearing in the parable are inferior medicinal herbs, intermediate medicinal herbs, and superior medicinal herbs; the two kinds of trees are small trees and big trees. Based on the description in the text, T'ient'ai (538-597), in The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra, interprets the inferior medicinal herbs as ordinary people and heavenly beings, the intermediate medicinal herbs as persons of the two vehicles (voice-hearers and cause-awakened ones), and the superior medicinal herbs, small trees, and big trees as bodhisattvas. Among these, T'ient'ai says, the superior medicinal herbs represent bodhisattvas of the Tripitaka teaching, the small trees indicate bodhisattvas of the connecting teaching, and the big trees, bodhisattvas of the specific teaching.

April 2, 2012

--WORDS OF THE WEEK--
Hope-filled meetings are being held [throughout Japan]
for Future Division members (age 6 to 18)
and their families.
The encouragement we provide in the present
will blossom magnificently in the future.
Let's discover individuals of ability and
build a bastion of capable people.

--TO MY FRIENDS--
There is nothing more beautiful in life than
the bond of mentor and disciple.
Let's each cheerfully advance and triumph along
the path of one's conviction.

Translations of "Words of the Week" and "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--今週の言葉--
 希望のファミリー勤行会。
 「今」の励ましの種が
 「未来」に大きく花開く。
 人材を発掘し
 人材の城を創り上げよ!

--わが友に贈る--
人生において
 師弟の絆ほど
 美しいものはない!
 自らの信念の道を
 朗らかに勝ち進め!

--KONSHU NO KOTOBA--
KIBO NO "family" GONGYO KAI.
"IMA" NO HAGEMASHI NO TANE GA
"MIRAI" NI OOKIKU HANAHIRAKU.
JINZAI O HAKKUTSU SHI
JINZAI NO SHIRO O KAZARI AGEYO!

--WAGA TOMO NI OKURU--
JINSEI NI OITE
SHITEI NO KIZUNA HODO
SUBARASHII MONO WA NAI!
MIZUKARA NO SHINNEN NO MICHI O
HOGARAKA NI KACHI SUSUME!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
A translation of President Ikeda's "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun and more.

Wednesday, April 4th, 2012
-- TO MY FRIENDS --
Let's never forget the pledge we made in our youth.
A person who upholds such a youthful resolve throughout their life
is indeed a true victor!
It is my hope that you will adorn your life
with a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

Wednesday, April 4th, 2012
--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"Birds and crickets cry, but never shed tears. I, Nichiren, do not cry, but my tears flow ceaselessly. I shed my tears not for worldly affairs but solely for the sake of the Lotus Sutra."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 386)
Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, April 4th, 2012

Thursday, April 5th, 2012
---- DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT ----
"Introducing someone to the practice of the Daishonin’s Buddhism can be extremely challenging. The Lotus Sutra states that the Mystic Law is 'difficult to believe and difficult to understand' (LSOC7, 173). That’s why nothing is more noble or commendable than efforts to share Buddhism with others.

"In my youth, I also had a very hard time introducing others to Buddhism, but I persevered steadfastly together with my fellow members. We encouraged and assured each other that though no one might decide to practise today, millions were waiting for our message.

"Always be positive and upbeat when you share the Daishonin’s Buddhism, whether others decide to practise or not. The aim of our dialogue, after all, is to impart great hope and courage to others.

"To ponder and worry about how you can help others become happy is in itself a truly noble thing, isn’t it? Such concern for others is the concern of Bodhisattvas of the Earth and the concern of the Buddha.

"Helping someone enshrine the Gohonzon is an event as wonderful as bringing the Daishonin to their home."

SGI Newsletter No. 8480, Humanistic Teachings for Victory, (2) Confidently Talking to Others about Buddhism, Planting the Seed of Happiness in Others Lives, from the Feb.15th, 2012, issue of the Soka Shimpo, translated March 27th, 2012

* The Japanese kanji for To My Friends is available by clicking on Seikyo Shimbun's web-site address at
http://www.seikyoonline.jp/news/index.html

--- WAGATOMO NI OKURU ---
WAGA SEISHUN NO CHIKAI O
DANJITE WASURERU NA!
SHOSHIN O TSURANUKU HITO GA
SHIN NO SHORISHA DA.
DAIMANZOKU NO JINSEI O KAZARE!

-- KYO NO GOSHO --
"TORI TO MUSHI TOWA NAKEDOMO NAMIDA OCHIZU NICHIREN WA NAKANEDOMO NAMIDA HIMA NASHI KONO NAMIDA SEKEN NO KOTO NIWA ARAZU TADA HITOENI HOKEKYO NO YUE NARI"
(Gosho Zenshu, page 1361)

------------------------------------

If you have a friend(s) who would like to get To My Friends directly get them to send an E-mail to the following address and just simply write - "subscribe"
: SGI-ToMyFriends-Wagatomo-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk

from there on it is all automatic!

ALSO if you want to introduce a friend to the SGI but just don't know where to start, share with them the following address and they can read and watch some very well put together explanations about the SGI. Check it out yourself!

http://www.sgi.org/

To unsubscribe from this group, but PLEASE let us know if there is anything we can do to improve, send an email to:
SGI-ToMyFriends-Wagatomo-unsubscribe@egroups.com

To modify your subscription from receiving daily to picking up as you wish go to http://www.egroups.com/mygroups

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/SGI-ToMyFriends-Wagatomo/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/SGI-ToMyFriends-Wagatomo/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
SGI-ToMyFriends-Wagatomo-digest@yahoogroups.co.uk
SGI-ToMyFriends-Wagatomo-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.co.uk

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: