X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...I think it is important for all Buddhists—even members of the SGI—to
    understand that Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is not some kind of magic formula to be
    recited to fulfill desires. It is a practice that expresses our faith in the
    truth and brings our lives into rhythm with that truth. It is a path for
    overcoming the so-called lesser self that is attached to desires and tormented
    by deluded impulses. It is a process of training and transforming our lives to
    be able to manifest our greater self, to bring forth our Buddha-wisdom and the
    compassionate capacity to realize happiness for ourselves and other people."

Daisaku Ikeda
    SoCal

Comment

This Gosho makes me think of EasyM

Great events never have minor omens. When great evil occurs, great good follows.
      Since great slander already exists in our land, the great correct Law will
      spread without fail. What could any of you have to lament? Even if you are not
      the Venerable Mahakasyapa, you should all perform a dance. Even if you are not
      Shariputra, you should leap up and dance. When bodhisattva Superior Practices
      emerged form the earth, did he not emerge dancing?

(WND, 1119)
      Great Evil and Great Good
      Date and recipient unknown

SoCal

Comment

I can declare with confidence that each of you who bravely exerts yourself in
        doing Gakkai activities and taking leadership for kosen-rufu, calmly overcoming
        every obstacle along the way, will enjoy immeasurable benefit. I can state with
        certitude too that each of you is in perfect accord with the Daishonin's spirit.
        Your efforts win his unrestrained applause and approval.

Daisaku Ikeda
        SoCal

Comment

Because life is long, you should not be impatient. What matters most is that you
          embrace the Gohonzon throughout your life. It is vitally important to
          continually challenge yourself to chant even a little more daimoku and to pray
          before the Gohonzon for the fulfillment of your desires.

Daisaku Ikeda
          SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Hippy View Post
            "...I think it is important for all Buddhists—even members of the SGI—to
            understand that Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is not some kind of magic formula to be
            recited to fulfill desires. It is a practice that expresses our faith in the
            truth and brings our lives into rhythm with that truth. It is a path for
            overcoming the so-called lesser self that is attached to desires and tormented
            by deluded impulses. It is a process of training and transforming our lives to
            be able to manifest our greater self, to bring forth our Buddha-wisdom and the
            compassionate capacity to realize happiness for ourselves and other people."

Daisaku Ikeda
            VERY important.....and much appreciated! Thank you so much SoCal for posting that!

A few years ago, through some long difficult dark battles that were upon me, PTD spent a great deal of time trying to get me to come to that very understanding. I remain humbled and most grateful for all the encouragement and 'hand holding' he bestowed upon me. I am a better person for it and will always be thankful for having my eyes opened to the right road he showed, while also realizing it is incumbent upon oneself to continue on the path they've been introduced to. I am only a beginner really, and in no way have the level of understanding about Buddhism like most of you here, but we all start somewhere, right? Every time I read this thread I learn more.

Thank you SoCal, PTD, Babba, Payaso, Easy, and all those not mentioned, for your contributions to this wonderful place that we gather here together on this website!

Much love to you all!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchgrown View Post
              VERY important.....and much appreciated! Thank you so much SoCal for posting that!

PTD spent a great deal of time trying to get me to come to that very understanding. I remain humbled and most grateful for all the encouragement and 'hand holding' he bestowed upon me.
              Your welcome DG. Doesn't matter how long you have practiced this Buddhism it is always a learning experience; an awakening everyday. That is the great benefit of chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to the Gohonzon.

PTD is pretty good at doing that and I am most grateful for all the encouragement I have recv'd over the years from him also. I don't know where my life would be without the connection we have had over these many years.

Thanks T!!!
              SoCal

Comment

Nam myoho renge kyo

Encouraging each other is what its all about .... thank you all so much!!!

Nam myoho renge kyo
                (Medical Patient In Compliance)

Nam myoho renge kyo !! Mugi wasshin
                your bud
                babba

Peace/ Be here now

Babba's Farm L.L.C.

The political views, or conspiracy theories, of icmag ownership, do not reflect my own views and are sole property of the participants

Comment

Life without this group would not be so happy...thank you all for the encouragement to go forth daily and battle the demons and devils!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Comment

When a tree has been transplanted, though fierce winds may blow, it will not topple if it has a firm stake to hold it up. But even a tree that has grown up in place may fall over if its roots are weak. Even a feeble person will not stumble if those supporting him are strong, but a person of considerable strength, when alone, may fall down on an uneven path.

Moreover, had the Buddha not appeared in the world, then, with the exception of the Venerable Shariputra and the Venerable Mahakashyapa, every single person in all the major world system would have sunk into the three evil paths. But through the strong bonds formed by relying upon the Buddha, large numbers of people have attained Buddhahood. Even wicked people such as King Ajatashatru or Angulimala, who one would expect could never reach enlightenment but would invariably fall into the Avichi hell, by encountering a great person, the Buddha Shakyamuni, were able to attain Buddhahood.

Therefore, the best way to attain Buddhahood is to encounter a good friend. How far can our own wisdom take us? If we have even enough wisdom to distinguish hot from cold, we should seek out a good friend.

But encountering a good friend is the hardest possible thing to do. For this reason, the Buddha likened it to the rarity of a one-eyed turtle finding a floating log with a hollow in it the right size to hold him, or to the difficulty of trying to lower a thread from the Brahma heaven and pass it through the eye of a needle on the earth. Moreover, in this evil latter age, evil companions are more numerous than the dust particles that comprise the land, while good friends are fewer than the specks of dirt one can pile on a fingernail.

Bodhisattva Perceiver of the World’s Sounds of Mount Potalaka acted as a good friend to the boy Good Treasures, but though the bodhisattva taught him the two doctrines of the specific and perfect teachings, he did not reveal to him the pure and perfect teaching [of the Lotus Sutra]. Bodhisattva Ever Wailing sold himself as an offering in his quest for a good teacher, whereupon he encountered Bodhisattva Dharmodgata. But from the latter he learned only the three doctrines of the connecting, specific, and perfect teachings, and did not receive instruction in the Lotus Sutra. Shariputra acted as a good friend to a blacksmith and gave him instruction for a period of ninety days, but succeeded only in making him into an icchantika, or a person of incorrigible disbelief.1 Purna discoursed on the Buddhist doctrine for the space of an entire summer, but he taught Hinayana doctrines to persons who had the capacity for Mahayana doctrines, and thereby turned them into Hinayana adherents.

Thus even great sages [such as Perceiver of the World’s Sounds and Dharmodgata] were not permitted to preach the Lotus Sutra, and even arhats who had obtained the fruit of emancipation [such as Shariputra and Purna] were not always able to gauge people’s capacity correctly. From these examples, you may imagine how inadequate are the scholars of this latter, evil age! It is far better to be an evil person who learns nothing of Buddhism at all than to put one’s faith in such men, who declare that heaven is earth, east is west, or fire is water, or assert that the stars are brighter than the moon, or an anthill higher than Mount Sumeru.

In judging the relative merit of Buddhist doctrines, I, Nichiren, believe that the best standards are those of reason and documentary proof. And even more valuable than reason and documentary proof is the proof of actual fact.

Three Tripitaka Masters Pray for Rain / WND pg. 598-99
                    Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

Originally posted by buddyJesus
                      Hi. I have nothing wise to say

Namaste
                      Saying nothing is often wise!

Welcome Jesus!

Deep respect,

Thomas
                      Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

"Self-confidence is the driving force for initiative."

SGI Newsletter No. 7927, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 1, The Future 38, translated Feb. 2nd, 2010
                        Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

"The greater the hardships befalling him, the greater the delight he feels, because of his strong faith."

(A Ship to Cross the Sea of Suffering - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 33) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, February 5th, 2010
                          Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

"'Though evils may be numerous, they cannot prevail over a single great truth [or good]' (WND-1, 618), the Daishonin assures us. Corrupt, devious, false-hearted individuals may join together, but they are united only by expedient ties of base self-interest and malice. They will ultimately succumb to infighting, and disintegrate and disappear."

SGI Newsletter No. 7823, Unity--The Secret to Continual Victory, from the August 2009 issue of Daibyakurenge, the Soka Gakkai monthly study journal, translated July 22nd, 2009
                            Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

Now is the time for us to tap into the great power of faith and practice that each one of us possesses within our own lives and draw forth the power of the Buddha and the Law.* By chanting vibrant daimoku with strong faith, let's rouse all the Buddhist gods, the protective forces of the universe, into action!

Daisaku Ikeda

*four powers -

http://www.sgilibrary.org/search_dict.php?id=795
                              Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

four powers
                                [四力] (Jpn shi-riki )

(1) The power of the Buddha, the power of the Law, the power of faith, and the power of practice. In Nichiren's teachings, the four powers are known as the four powers of the Mystic Law, whose interaction enables one to have one's prayers answered and attain Buddhahood. The power of the Buddha is the Buddha's compassion in saving all people. The power of the Law indicates the boundless capacity of the Mystic Law to lead all people to enlightenment. The power of faith is to believe in the Gohonzon, the object of devotion that embodies the power of the Buddha and the power of the Law, and the power of practice is to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo oneself and teach others to do the same. To the extent that one brings forth one's powers of faith and practice, one can manifest the powers of the Buddha and the Law within one's own life.

(2) The power of self, the power of another, the power of good karma, and the power of expedient means. The four powers expounded in the Upholding the Bodhisattva Stage Sutra that enable one to arouse the aspiration for enlightenment. The power of self means arousing the aspiration for enlightenment through one's own devoted effort in practice. The power of another means arousing the aspiration for enlightenment through being taught and inspired by another. The power of good karma means that, because of one's practice of the great vehicle teaching in past existences and because of good causes accumulated thereby, one encounters a Buddha or bodhisattva in this lifetime and so conceives the aspiration for enlightenment. The power of expedient means indicates that one seeks a good friend or teacher who skillfully expounds the Buddha's teaching in the way best suited to one's capacity, thus awakening in one the desire for enlightenment.
                                Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

Working...
                                X