What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It must be ties of karma from the distant past that have destined you to become my disciple at a time like this. Shakyamuni and Many Treasures certainly realised this truth. The sutra's statement, 'Those persons who had heard the Law dwelled here and there in various Buddha lands, constantly reborn in company with their teachers,' cannot be false in any way."

(The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 217) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's message, Seikyo Shimbun, Mar 9th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"You should not have the slightest fear in your heart. ... There is definitely something extraordinary in the ebb and flow of the tide, the rising and setting of the moon, and the way in which summer, autumn, winter, and spring give way to each other. Something uncommon also occurs when an ordinary person attains Buddhahood. At such a time, the three obstacles and four devils will invariably appear, and the wise will rejoice while the foolish will retreat."

(The Three Obstacles and Four Devils - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 637) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's message, Seikyo Shimbun, Mar 9th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'When the pine flourishes, the cypress is overjoyed; when grasses wither, orchids weep. Even insentient plants and trees share as one a friend's joys and sorrows.'-From Reply to the Honourable Konichi” (WND-2, 964).

"We rejoice at our friends happiness and chant for them in their times of sorrow. The united realm of faith of the SGI is characterized by its most beautiful and strong ties forged in a common desire for harmonious coexistence.

"We have friends who will share our burden and chant for us through any hardship. Encouraging one another through each trial and challenge, we can overcome everything.

SGI Newsletter No. 8467, Living the Gosho: Words of Encouragement from SGI President Ikeda, (70) The Safe Haven of the SGI, from the March 1st, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated March 7th, 2012

well I can't read 1010 pages right now but I was here since the beginning in one form or another and can't believe I haven't checked this out until now! My mistake! It seems to have some great promise from the first and last page. If you can fill me in please do, otherwise I will spend like 3 years reading this page! :D
peace

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It was Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin (1934–68), the first person to travel into space, who famously declared: 'The Earth is blue.' He also said: 'The most wonderful thing on earth is [people] engaged in work.'[1] People hard at work, striving with all their might, are beautiful. We of the SGI not only go about our own lives, but also devote ourselves to working for kosen-rufu. This is the most beautiful thing of all.

"The world is currently facing a painful, turbulent, troubled period of economic crisis. Please continue striving wholeheartedly, with pride and confidence."

SGI Newsletter No. 8469, from SGI President Ikeda’s speech at the 26th Soka Gakkai Headquarters Leaders Meeting in Tokyo, on February 11th, 2009. These excerpts were featured in a video of the speech, which was shown during the 56th Soka Gakkai Headquarters Leaders Meeting in Tokyo, on March 3rd, 2012. The excerpted text appeared in the March 12th, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, the Soka Gakkai daily newspaper.

[1] Yuri Gagarin, Road to the Stars, edited by N. Kamanin (Moscow: Foreign Languages Publishing House, 1961), p. 157.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood. Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection. Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 283) Selection source: Myoji no Gen, March 13th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well I can't read 1010 pages right now but I was here since the beginning in one form or another and can't believe I haven't checked this out until now! My mistake! It seems to have some great promise from the first and last page. If you can fill me in please do, otherwise I will spend like 3 years reading this page! :D
peace

:tiphat:

Brother, I will be traveling for the next two days, but if no one has been able to find the time to answer you, I will then. Basically, we all consider ourselves Nichiren Buddhists and as such we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the desire to see our lives change in what ever manner we wish them to, and make efforts in our daily life to achieve those changes. We have come to believe there is a power in chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo that exceeds anything we have ever been able to accomplish without chanting. The philosophy teaches why this is so--that we activate and bring forth our inherent Buddha nature in the effort of chanting, and that the influence we experience has its roots in the power of our own life. By chanting, we bring forth inherent wisdom and vitality and are able to live a more joyous and happy life.

Bowing in humble obeisance,

:thank you:

T

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I get knocked down, but I get up again!

I get knocked down, but I get up again!

Fucking miserably failed the gmat :( Oldest dude in the room, got so nervous I took 3 shits during each break of the test, i thought I did good, then the screen showed my worst nightmare... A grade so low, there is no way I could get into the schools I applied to with that.

I'll start chanting again for this to work out. This time, I will win. The devil of the sixth heaven will never keep me down. I get knocked down, but I get up again.

Could we start like a skype chanting group? I'm a little out of it without meetings these days...

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Tomorrow will be day 1 (in 2012) for me with no meds! WHOA!:tumbleweed:
From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Thursday, March 15, 2012:
[The Nirvana Sutra] compares "it gradually becomes deeper" to the Lotus Sutra leading everyone, from ordinary people who lack understanding to sages who possess it, to attain the Buddha way.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 39
The Universal Salty Taste
Recipient and date unknown

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Friday, March 16, 2012:
Now, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law, I, Nichiren, am the first to set out on propagating, throughout Jambudvipa, the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, which are the heart of the Lotus Sutra and the eye of all Buddhas. These five characters are the heart of the Lotus Sutra and the source of the enlightenment of all Buddhas.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 764
The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra

easyDaimoku

Veteran
peace

Skip around... I joined at around page 150 (I think) and started documenting everything about my life over the past 6 years. Quite the journey! I never kept a diary or journal for more than a month, but my life is here in this thread.

My advice (cliff notes version): Skip the reading, go to an SGI center and just start chanting in front of the Gohonzon. Setup a little area so you could put your chanting altar up and then get a Gohonzon from the SGI and chant away! Most of us have a Gohonzon, and welcome to fold! Or rather wecome back!

:)

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Easy, your life is chronicled for all of us as a testament to your faith and devotion. Thank you for sharing this with us as we all chant

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Payaso

Veteran
Thomas! Don't despair, even though I do not post here every day I do stop by and read until I am filled with the determination to get up and do it all over again...

"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, no matter what happens."

(Happiness in This World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 681) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Mar 8th, 2012

Thank you for all the many words of wisdom that help us all understand.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I need scype info for all of you waiting to hear from me! Bonz, Bud, Easy, Chris, Desi, SoCal? And anyone I'm missing!

Bonzo

Veteran
GOOD DAY MY FRIENDS :) I AM IN MY NEW HOUSE! WOO HOO!!! I have not been able to chant with my Gohonzon...I CAN NOW!!! WOO HOO!! :) new Laptop prolly wednesday Big Homie...skype info soon! life is good...life is here...life is now! :) have an awesome day my brothers and sisters! :)

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo :)

Payaso

Veteran
Congratulations Bonzo! This is an auspicious moment indeed and I am very happy for you!

Chanting happily, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Words of the Week (for this week) by Sensei Ikeda that really touched me....

Words of the Week (for this week) by Sensei Ikeda that really touched me....

March 19, 2012

--WORDS OF THE WEEK--
Let's cheer on and lend our support
to friends who are advancing to the next
level in their education, seeking employment
or relocating due to their job.
Wherever we find ourselves is the
"Capital of Eternally Tranquil Light"(*)
Let's hoist aloft the flag of victory with
the pride of being a member of
the Soka family.

(*)"Reply to Sairenbo," WND I, p. 313

--TO MY FRIENDS--
Even if no one is watching,
play out the drama of your mission
with the stand alone spirit!
Sincerity is your badge of honor.
Remember that the strict principle of
"myo-no-shoran"--in which all our
dedicated efforts are being observed
by the Buddhas and bodhisattvas
throughout the universe--is always at play.

Translations of "Words of the Week" and "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--今週の言葉--
進学、就職、転勤など
 新出発の友にエールを!
 いずこも「常寂光の都」なり。
 創価家族の誇りを胸に
 勝利の旗を打ち立てよ!

--わが友に贈る--
誰が見ていなくとも
 使命の劇を
 一人演じ抜け!
 誠実こそ誉れ。
 冥の照覧は厳然なり!