What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'All the other sutras [expounded before the Lotus Sutra] are examples of preaching in accordance with the minds of others, because, when expounding them, the Buddha adjusted himself to the minds of all other living beings. But the Lotus Sutra is an example of preaching in accordance with the Buddha’s own mind, because in it the Buddha had all living beings comply with his own mind.

"'The various other sutras represent the teachings of the Buddha, but if one puts faith in them, then one is simply following the minds of ordinary people and will never be able to attain Buddhahood. The Lotus Sutra is both the teaching of the Buddha and the embodiment of the Buddha wisdom. If one puts sincere faith in each character and brushstroke in it, then one will become a Buddha in one’s present form.' - From “The Teaching That Accords with the Buddha’s Mind” (WND-1, 969).

"The Lotus Sutra is expounded in accordance with the Buddha’s own enlightenment, teaching us to believe in and bring forth the limitless potential inherent within our own lives and those of all human beings. The Lotus Sutra expresses the boundless joy of recognising that we are Buddhas just as we are, and that all people possess the potential for Buddhahood.

"Let’s confidently share the correct teaching of Buddhism with others. All of our great efforts to reach out to others in dialogue for the sake of kosen-rufu, based on the Buddha’s true spirit, are sure to be praised by all Buddhas and supported by the protective forces of the universe."

SGI Newsletter No. 8460, Living the Gosho: Words of Encouragement from SGI President Ikeda, (68) Courageously Sharing Buddhism with Others,from the Feb. 15th, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Feb. 28th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Kosen-rufu begins with the human revolution of a single individual. One individual who has resolved to take action inspires another to do the same. That second individual then inspires another. Courage calls forth courage. This infinite chain of fresh resolve spreading from one person to another is the unchanging formula for developing our movement. That is why fostering as many committed individuals as possible is an indispensable requirement for achieving explosive growth in the development of kosen-rufu.

"The famous American inventor Thomas Edison (1847–1931), who was born on the same day as Mr. Toda, said: 'A shining diamond lies hidden within everything. If you polish it, it will sparkle.'[1] All our members are noble, capable individuals who shine like sparkling diamonds. Every one of them has a mission to demonstrate the greatness of Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism. They are precious and valuable without compare."

SGI Newsletter No. 8459, Our Brilliant Path to Victory, from the Feb. 8th, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Feb. 27th, 2012

[1] Translated from Japanese. Kazuyuki Hamada, Ejison no Kotoba (Quotes from Edison), (Tokyo: Daiwa Shobo, 2003), p. 10.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although Nichiren and his followers are few, because they are different in body, but united in mind, they will definitely accomplish their great mission of widely propagating the Lotus Sutra."

(Many in Body, One in Mind - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 618) Selection source: Thoughts on the Human Revolution, Feb 8th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buddhism and Human Dignity

Buddhism and Human Dignity

"From the Buddhist perspective, given the mind-boggling number of life-forms that fill the universe, human life is a rare privilege with special responsibilities. Ultimately, the Buddhist understanding of human dignity is rooted in the idea that we are able to choose the path of self-perfection."

The global debate about human rights--taking place in venues from the halls of the United Nations to the street corners of impoverished communities--has brought to the fore many conflicting value systems and worldviews. Individualism vs. communalism. Modernity vs. tradition. East vs. West. North vs. South. Economic and social rights such as the right to employment and decent housing vs. the civil and political rights to free speech and expression.

In the end, however, all concepts of human rights--including those that do not necessarily use the language of "human rights"--have their basis in some understanding of human dignity. In other words, people merit decent treatment because they possess human dignity, some kind of inherent worth that is theirs by the simple fact of being human.

In some traditions, this dignity derives from God, in whose image humanity was created. In other traditions, the unique capacity to think and reason is said to be the source of human dignity. More and more, however, the idea of human dignity as the basis for rights and prerogatives over nonhuman nature is being supplanted by the idea of special human responsibilities--to exercise responsible stewardship in nature and to treat all life with respect.

How does Buddhism understand human dignity? From where does it spring? What supports and sustains it?

The starting point for Buddhism is the value and sanctity of life. For example, in one letter to a follower, Nichiren states that the value of a single day of life exceeds all other treasures. Buddhism further views each individual life as a manifestation of a universal life force.

As the Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore put it, "The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures. It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers."

From the Buddhist perspective, given the mind-boggling number of life-forms that fill the universe, human life is a rare privilege with special responsibilities. As Nichiren, referring to a passage from the Nirvana Sutra, states: "It is rare to be born a human being. The number of those endowed with human life is as small as the amount of earth one can place on a fingernail."

What makes human life unique is the scale of our choice, the degree to which we are free to choose to act for good or evil, to help or to harm.

A recent book on the challenges of aging introduces the story of a young woman, married and with young children, who found herself suddenly in the position of having to care for her mother-in-law, bedridden following a stroke. At first the young woman could not understand why this had happened to her, why her already demanding life should be further burdened in this way. Through her Buddhist practice she was able to realize that she could, depending on how she chose to approach this situation, make of it an opportunity to create value. She was able to transform her initial feelings of resentment toward the older woman into a sense of appreciation.

Ultimately, the Buddhist understanding of human dignity is rooted in the idea that we are able to choose the path of self-perfection. We can, in other words, consistently make those difficult choices for creativity, growth and development. This state of self-perfection--a condition of fully developed courage, wisdom and compassion--is described as Buddhahood or enlightenment. The idea that all people--all life, in fact--have this potential is expressed by the concept, stressed particularly in the Mahayana tradition, that all living beings possess Buddha nature.

In concrete, practical terms, this comes down to the idea that everyone has a mission--a unique role that only she or he can play, a unique perspective to offer, a unique contribution to make. As SGI President Daisaku Ikeda recently wrote in a book for high school students, "Everyone has a mission. The universe does nothing without purpose. The fact that we exist means that we have purpose."

The older woman in the story likewise sought to find a way to use her severely limited capacities to contribute to the well-being of the household. Since she still had use of her hands, she took up knitting--partly as a form of therapy, partly to make useful things for the family. She also enjoyed keeping watch over the home when the others were away.

From the Buddhist perspective, we always have the option of choosing to create value from even the most difficult situation. Through such choices we can fulfill our unique purpose and mission in life, and in this way give fullest expression to the inherent treasure of our human dignity. There is perhaps no more solid foundation for human rights than a widespread awakening to the human dignity that resides in every one of us.

[Courtesy July 2000 SGI Quarterly]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a saying, "To start an undertaking is easy; to maintain it is difficult." Though creating something new may seem daunting, it is in fact easy when compared to the far more challenging task of carrying on an existing enterprise, to keep it going, to develop it further. Everything depends on people, on capable successors. And our movement for kosen-rufu depends on young people. For that reason I am determined to do all that I can right now to raise genuine successors in the youth division.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow! Amazing thread! Near 8 years and approaching 300,000 views! Wow!

Bravo PTD! Bravo!

Peace to you and yours

:wave:Thanks, but without everyone else that has been hanging out here for several years, I would have abandoned this effort long ago. It's the people that represent those almost 300,000 views that deserve all of the credit and I am forever indebted to each of them. Without all of you, I am sure the joy I live each day with, would still be mired in the mud at the bottom of the pond. Thanks to all of you, a Lotus flower has made its way to the surface, continually surrounded by many more. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T :tiphat:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Whether a person who has heard about Buddhism chooses to accept it or not is up to them. What matters is how many people we’re able to share Buddhism with, based on our genuine desire for their happiness.

“It goes without saying that a strong desire to have those you talk to begin practising this faith for themselves is very important, since our goal is for each person’s true happiness through accepting this Buddhism. But even if they don’t accept this Buddhism, there’s no need to be disillusioned or disappointed.

“Try talking to one person. If it doesn’t go well, try talking to two more people. If that still doesn’t work out, try three, five, ten, and if ten are unfruitful, then try twenty. If twenty doesn’t work out, then try thirty, and forty. The point is just to keep sharing this Buddhism, with conviction and in high spirits. All those efforts will be transformed into benefit and good fortune, a force for transforming your karma."

SGI Newsletter No. 8462, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 2, Shared Struggle 17, translated March 1st, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our future depends on the growth of our young people. My dear young friends, stand up as brave courageous individuals who consistently take action! Challenge yourselves, with patience and perseverance, and live out your precious youth victoriously, without any regrets.

Daisaku Ikeda

Bonzo

Veteran
:wave:Thanks, but without everyone else that has been hanging out here for several years, I would have abandoned this effort long ago. It's the people that represent those almost 300,000 views that deserve all of the credit and I am forever indebted to each of them. Without all of you, I am sure the joy I live each day with, would still be mired in the mud at the bottom of the pond. Thanks to all of you, a Lotus flower has made its way to the surface, continually surrounded by many more. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!

woo hoo! :)

nam myoho renge kyo :)

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Thank you all so much !!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Saturday, March 3, 2012:

A mind now clouded by the illusions of the innate darkness of life is like a tarnished mirror, but when polished, it is sure to become like a clear mirror, reflecting the essential nature of phenomena and the true aspect of reality. Arouse deep faith, and diligently polish your mirror day and night. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 4
On Attaining Buddhahood in this Lifetime

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Sunday, March 4, 2012:

A woman who makes offerings to such a Gohonzon invites happiness in this life; and in the next, the Gohonzon will be with her and protect her always. Like a lantern in the dark, like a strong guide and porter on a treacherous mountain path, the Gohonzon will guard and protect you, Lady Nichinyo, wherever you go.
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 832
The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon
Written to Nichinyo on August 23, 1277

Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda
Sunday, March 4, 2012:
Shakyamuni proclaims, "People who are vigilant do not die; people who are negligent are as if dead." This is definitely true. Unremitting diligence in our Buddhist practice—brave and vigorous exertion—infuses our lives with the great life force of the eternal Buddha. In contrast, people who try to get by in life through cunning and deception enact a living death.

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
Sunday, March 4, 2012:
Life is an everlasting struggle with ourselves. It is a tug of war between moving forward and regressing, between happiness and unhappiness. Outstanding individuals didn't become great overnight. They disciplined themselves to overcome their weaknesses, to conquer their lack of caring and motivation until they became true victors in life. One reason Buddhists chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo each day is to develop strong will and discipline and, along with those, the ability to tackle any problem seriously and with the determination to overcome it.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo
The mentor embodies and practices the Mystic Law. The disciples in turn strive to do likewise. Following the mentor’s example and teachings, they continue to take personal action for kosen-rufu. This is the only way forward. The true transmission of Buddhism resides in this living connection between mentor and disciple. -President Ikeda LB pg. 27.

Nam myoho renge kyo

Luda

:wave:

I have arrived at this point in my life. It's a total transformation.

The best way to describe it is to use a metaphor to describe it because, well it seems the way.

I have spent most of my life in the vegetative state.

I have now pushed out my First buds.

They are ready to flower.

These flowers are unlike other things in my life.

I cannot control them .

Not their color.

Not their shape.

Each one is very different and very complex.

I have always pruned off the buds when I have seen them.

Now I'm letting them go.

I'm going to let them develop into what they were meant to be.

For the first time in a very long time since childhood I'm letting me be me.

For Now I am focusing on two distinct parts, my creativity and god .

These are two huge keys to unlocking my soul and their both intertwined like a rope.

So now its time to say the words in a way I haven't said them before with my whole soul.

Chanting Nam Yoho Rengee Kyo with out absolute faith both in your self and what your chanting for is as useful as a fork for broth, sure it's a utensil but it is not the tool you need for eating broth.

So I will shine my mirror for....

Work is love made visible-Khalil Gibran

Nam Yoho Rengee Kyo

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Hi Luda!

You have taken your first real sip of courage, feeling that desire to be free of worldly constraints, to be able to let go of the negativity that surrounds us all. When you chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo it goes beyond this world out to infinity. But it brings back everything that makes us whole living humans. It's good & bad, it opens up all the avenues that are available to you, to help you succeed in all your endeavors. It's time and space and everything in between. Suffering will be a part of it. At times it will be deep, but so will all the Joy you will experience. Some things will become clear, and the truth will shed light on your path or different paths. The chanting will guide you. I don't see an end to it. Things grow and keep growing.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

desi

Bonzo

Veteran
Hi Luda!

You have taken your first real sip of courage, feeling that desire to be free of worldly constraints, to be able to let go of the negativity that surrounds us all. When you chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo it goes beyond this world out to infinity. But it brings back everything that makes us whole living humans. It's good & bad, it opens up all the avenues that are available to you, to help you succeed in all your endeavors. It's time and space and everything in between. Suffering will be a part of it. At times it will be deep, but so will all the Joy you will experience. Some things will become clear, and the truth will shed light on your path or different paths. The chanting will guide you. I don't see an end to it. Things grow and keep growing.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

desi
:) :) :)

:) Nam Myoho Renge Kyo :)

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thank you Easy for this...

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
Sunday, March 4, 2012:
Life is an everlasting struggle with ourselves. It is a tug of war between moving forward and regressing, between happiness and unhappiness. Outstanding individuals didn't become great overnight. They disciplined themselves to overcome their weaknesses, to conquer their lack of caring and motivation until they became true victors in life. One reason Buddhists chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo each day is to develop strong will and discipline and, along with those, the ability to tackle any problem seriously and with the determination to overcome it.

Nice to see new faces here, chanting and seeing the light!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Thank you Thomas, for starting and maintaining this knowledge thread for so long...it is a joy and enlightenment to be part of this.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
^^^

Hi Payaso, Bonzo, Easy, Babba, Thomas, Afro,... Easy's quote above really hits the bell. That will be my quote for the coming week. I know a few of us have some suffering and challenges going on bigtime right now, but I continually find Joy around every turn. Thank you all for your devotion to chanting and never giving up.

Desi

Status
Not open for further replies.