What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the beginning T said "Calling all Bodhisattvas of the Earth!"

I responded then, and again now with the same sentiment as always -

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Kosen Rufu IS World Peace!

Another Brother has returned! Welcome home Chris!!!!! :tiphat:

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T :thank you:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thank you Thomas and Bonzo... it is great to see you still here after all these years. It warms my heart to see the chanting continues and the love is still being spread like jam on toast all around this site.

Let's all chant some more!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Payaso

Veteran
Thank you T for posting these words:

"In all struggles for kosen-rufu, you will find the strength to vanquish obstacles and attain complete victory when your chanting is harmonious and unified."

I couldn't think of a better way to describe what is happening to me now!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you T for posting these words:

"In all struggles for kosen-rufu, you will find the strength to vanquish obstacles and attain complete victory when your chanting is harmonious and unified."

I couldn't think of a better way to describe what is happening to me now!

The main thing, I think, is that somehow this keeps continuing to work for all of us that continue to do it!!! For those not aware of it, as simple as it may seem, chanting enough Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in each and every day is very very difficult to do. I know how hard it is for those struggling, as I have stuggled many many times myself. From my own personal experience of the last almost forty years, I can guarantee that those that continue will be rewarded with the actual proof of the promise of such efforts. It's up to each of us to transform our environments into Lands of Eternally Tranquil Light. But it isvery do-able. It all starts with a single word.

Faith.

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T :wave:

Payaso

Veteran
Faith seems to be the most intangible, elusive, hard-to-pin-down concept of all!

You have to have faith to keep the faith...and so on.

When I was a child I was 'dismissed' from Sunday School and labeled a troublemaker. They kept insisting that I 'believe' in God, and my steadfast response at the age of six was continuing to ask 'why.' Seems the truly faithful had learned to just accept being faithful and they couldn't tell me why. Don't really know where I am headed with this, but faithfully chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo does bring a sense of serenity to my soul and enables me to peacefully walk this planet without being enraged by all the injustice.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

:wave:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"...ordinary people keep in mind the words 'earnest resolve' and thereby become Buddhas."

(The Gift of Rice - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1125) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, January 13th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A true victor is someone who carries through with their conviction,
that they determined in their youth,
until the very last moment of their life.
To make such a vow is the most noble thing
that a human being can ever do.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"We need courage to become happy, to triumph over life’s trials, to help others, and to take action for peace and justice.

"As a wise saying goes, “In valour there is hope.”[1] To strive with the resolve that the greater the difficulties we face, the more we will challenge and surmount them with indefatigable courage, and to set an example that can bring infinite hope and inspiration for those who will follow in our footsteps—this is the epitome of a life dedicated to a noble mission."

SGI Newsletter No. 8422, 55th Soka Gakkai Headquarters Leaders Meeting, Courage Is a Powerful Force for Victory, from the Jan. 8th, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Jan. 11th, 2012

TheDanishBuddha

Dear all,

I need a little help here to understand the part that is underlined

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Monday, January 16, 2012:

It is the way of ordinary people that, even though they spur themselves on to arouse the aspiration for enlightenment and wish for happiness in the next life, they exert themselves no more than one or two out of all the hours of the day, and this only after reminding themselves to do so. As for myself, I read the Lotus Sutra without having to remember to, and practice it even when I do not read its words aloud.

Thanks a lot :)

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

TheDanishBuddha

Dear all,

I need a little help here to understand the part that is underlined

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Monday, January 16, 2012:

It is the way of ordinary people that, even though they spur themselves on to arouse the aspiration for enlightenment and wish for happiness in the next life, they exert themselves no more than one or two out of all the hours of the day, and this only after reminding themselves to do so. As for myself, I read the Lotus Sutra without having to remember to, and practice it even when I do not read its words aloud.

Thanks a lot :)

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Forget about my post above :) :tiphat:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"They give their lives for shallow, worldly matters but rarely for the Buddha's precious teachings. Small wonder they do not attain Buddhahood."

(Letter from Sado - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 301) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, January 14th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'From the indigo, an even deeper blue'—~this is a well-known expression in the East that refers to a student or disciple surpassing their teacher.

"Alluding to this principle, Nichiren Daishonin writes in one of his letters to the lay nun Ueno, the mother of Nanjo Tokimitsu: 'The Lotus Sutra is like the indigo, and the strength of one’s practice is like the deepening blue' (WND-1, 457). To personally endeavour to keep advancing with more vitality and enthusiasm today than yesterday, this year than the last, is the hallmark of a genuine leader of kosen-rufu."

SGI Newsletter No. 8423, Our Brilliant Path to Victory, A Youthful SGI—Shining Brightly like the Morning Sun, from the Jan. 1st, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Jan 13th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The great German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749–1832) declared: 'If one is not to stagnate, one must be constantly changing, regenerating oneself, growing young again.'[1] A person who continues to grow and develop is called a youth.

"Inazo Nitobe (1862–1933), the renowned Japanese diplomat and educator who was born in Tohoku 150 years ago this year, asserted: 'If you wish to stay youthful, hold lofty ideals.'[2] It is especially important that we keep growing, day after day, aiming for the realisation of the highest ideal of kosen-rufu. Each step in that process will shine as a golden achievement."

SGI Newsletter No. 8423, Our Brilliant Path to Victory, A Youthful SGI—Shining Brightly like the Morning Sun, from the Jan. 1st, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Jan 13th, 2012

[1] Richard Friedenthal, Goethe: His Life and Times (New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers, 2010), p. 473.
[2] Translated from Japanese. Inazo Nitobe, Jikeiroku—Kokoro no Mochikata (Anthology of Self-Admonishment: Essays on Attitude of Mind) (Tokyo: Kodansha, 1996), p. 279

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What results manifest in the future
depend on the causes we create in the present.
In order to establish a solid and unshakable foundation
that will last for eternity,
it is important that we steadfastly put all of our energy
into winning right now.
Let us thoroughly train and polish our lives.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'Nichiren alone took the lead in carrying out the task of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth.' - (WND-1, 385)

“The Bodhisattvas of the Earth are not bodhisattvas who only take action when they are told to do so!

“Taking action not because you are told to, but on your own initiative with an awareness of your personal mission and a resolve to take action and make a positive contribution—that is the ‘true aspect’ of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth.”

SGI Newsletter No. 8421, Young Phoenixes, Soar into the Future! President Ikeda’s efforts to foster the future division members, along with division graduates’ personal accounts and recollections of meetings and interactions with President Ikeda in their youth. (5) President Ikeda’s Lecture on “The True Aspect of All Phenomena”— Part 2 [of 2], from the March 2011 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated Jan. 6th, 2012 .

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I entrust you with the propagation of Buddhism in your province. It is stated that 'the seeds of Buddhahood sprout as a result of conditions, and for this reason they preach the single vehicle.'"

(The Properties of Rice - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1117) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, January 11th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Now for the past twenty-eight years, since the fifth year of the Kencho era [1253], cyclical sign mizunoto-ushi, the twenty-eighth day of the fourth month, until the present, the twelfth month of the third year of the Koan era [1280], cyclical sign kanoe-tatsu, I, Nichiren, have done nothing else, but have laboured solely to put the five or seven characters of Myoho-renge-kyo into the mouths of all the living beings of the country of Japan."

(On Reprimanding Hachiman - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 2, page 931 Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, December 9th, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.