What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The innate power of humanity is the driving force that breaks down all barriers
of discrimination. The ultimate expression of this humanity is Buddhahood; it is
the power of the Mystic Law. Daimoku is therefore the fundamental energy for
realizing victory in the struggle for human rights.

What is the purpose of life? It is happiness. But there are two kinds of
happiness: relative and absolute. Relative happiness comes in wide variety of
forms. The purpose of Buddhism is to attain Buddhahood. In modern terms, this
could be explained as realizing absolute happiness -- a state of happiness that
can never be destroyed or defeated.

If you practice faith while doubting its effects, you will get results that are
at best unsatisfactory. This is the reflection of your own weak faith on the
mirror of the cosmos. On the other hand, when you stand up with strong
confidence, you will accrue limitless blessings.

Quotes: Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
You should not have the slightest fear in your heart. It is lack of courage that
prevents one from attaining Buddhahood, although one may have professed faith in
the Lotus Sutra many times since innumerable kalpas ago.

(WND, 637)
The Three Obstacles and Four Devils
Written to Ikegami Hyoe no Sakan Munenaga on November 20, 1277

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
There is definitely something extraordinary in the ebb and flow of the tide, the
rising and setting of the moon, and the way in which summer, autumn, winter and
spring give way to each other. Something uncommon also occurs when an ordinary
person attains Buddhahood. At such a time, the three obstacles and four devils
will invariably appear, and the wise will rejoice while the foolish will
retreat.

(WND, 637)
The Three Obstacles and Four Devils
Written to Ikegami Hyoe no Sakan Munenaga on November 20, 1277

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks everyone! The Power of the Law is awesome, isn't it? We are all connected from many lifetimes in the past, and based on our valient efforts to attain and express Buddhahood in our present form, we shall always be. I am most confident of that!

Dad has changed so much in a week that I am proud to be here helping. 16 months ago he was given 6 months to live. Ha! Yea, the Power of the Law is nothing short of incredible. May we all devote the rest of our lives to repaying our debt of gratitude.

Keep chanting Brothers and Sisters! Never give up and never give in! NO MATTER WHAT!

My deepest and most heartfelt appreciation to you all!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Those who believe in the Lotus Sutra are as if in winter, but winter always turns to spring."

(Winter Always Turns to Spring - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 536) Selection source: Soka Gakkai member's experience, Seikyo Shimbun, December 11th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trying to call Easy! Bonz please reconfirm your number! Desi, can I call you this week?

SoCal are you coming? Bud, I will be back in touch soon!

Much love and deepest respect,

T (WEIRD!!! IS THIS A GOOD TIME FOR A CHAT?)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It can sometimes be very difficult to introduce others to Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism. I imagine that many of our members are concerned about how challenging a task it is. I also struggled with this. Sharing Buddhism with others was a constant process of trial and error. In the diary I kept as a youth, I wrote: “S. returned all my letters trying to convince him to take faith. It is sad that so few people seek the True Law. The battle intensifies daily. No other choice but to forge ahead, cherishing the desire to win.”[1] On another occasion, I wrote: “We went to Omori for propagation activities. Really troubled over my own inability to introduce others [to the practice].”[2]

"There are certain to be times when you feel sad and frustrated that even your best attempts to communicate the greatness of the Daishonin’s Buddhism fail to bear fruit. But that is precisely the time to chant even more and study the Daishonin’s writings even harder, striving to make your next opportunity for dialogue a success. Rather than dwelling on the instances that didn’t go well, resolve that you will absolutely be victorious the next time, and boldly take on the challenge.

"This persevering spirit is the key to realising victory in life. The principle of three thousand realms in a single moment of life ensures that things will move in the direction you resolve, in accord with your determination."

SGI Newsletter No. 8388, Our Brilliant Path to Victory, Youth Festivals for the Future—Part 2 [of 2], translated Nov. 25th, 2011, from the Oct. 9th, 2011, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun.

[1] Daisaku Ikeda, A Youthful Diary: One Man’s Journey from the Beginning of Faith to Worldwide Leadership for Peace (Santa Monica, California: World Tribune Press, 2000), p. 54. [2] Ibid., p. 111.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Buddha wrote that one should become the master of one's mind rather than let one's mind master oneself. This is what I mean when I emphatically urge you to give up even your body, and never begrudge even your life for the sake of the Lotus Sutra."

(Letter to Gijo-bo - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. , page 390) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 10th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nichiren Daishonin writes: “If the general were to lose heart, his soldiers would become cowards” (WND-1, 613). The determination and actions of leaders are a major factor in the success or failure of any struggle. When the fighting spirit of impassioned leaders who are determined to win spreads to the rest of the people, everyone becomes a courageous and valiant champion."

SGI Newsletter No. 8395, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 1, Light of Happiness 35, translated Dec. 7th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A brilliant outstanding history is not created in a single day. It's the accumulation of all those seemingly small steps that lead to the definite realisation of the great ones. Let's courageously go all out today and make today a day of success!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This is indeed wondrous. This is precisely what is meant by the statement that unseen virtue brings about visible reward."

(The Farther the Source, the Longer the Stream - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 940) Selection source: "Victorious Road for World Kosen-Rufu ", Seikyo Shimbun, December 5th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Mr. Toda used to say: “Just even talking to someone about Buddhism is propagation; it is sowing the seeds of Buddhism. It brings immediate benefit.”

"Whether or not your efforts to share the Daishonin’s Buddhism with others are successful, you will still enjoy great benefits from doing so. Your endeavours enable you to grow and carry out your human revolution, as well as to build genuine friendships and help others forge a connection with Buddhism. Numerous seniors in faith have demonstrated this. Through their propagation efforts, they have transformed their state of life, changed their family situations, shown positive results at work, and won the trust of those around them.

"The key to doing so is to be cheerful and confident no matter what, and to patiently and sincerely share the Daishonin’s Buddhism with those around you in a way that is true to yourself."

SGI Newsletter No. 8388, Our Brilliant Path to Victory, Youth Festivals for the Future—Part 2 [of 2], translated Nov. 25th, 2011, from the Oct. 9th, 2011, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only way to overcome the influence of one's Fundamental Darkness is to chant Daimoku. So as simple as it seems, the ONLY way to be able to keep the influence that keeps you from chanting everyday at bay, IS TO CHANT EVERY DAY!!!! ONLY YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR KARMA. Get off of your ass and do it!!!

You are the only thing holding you back. "...never disgrace the Lotus Sutra." Serve the Buddha. You made a promise. Take that commitment very seriously and always do your best to keep it.

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The wonderful means of truly putting an end to the physical and spiritual obstacles of all living beings is none other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 14th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Genuine unity is manifested when people stand up with a shared purpose during a time of crisis, and those who can do that are the real champions."

SGI Newsletter No. 8399, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 1, Light of Happiness 38, translated Dec. 12th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's the leaders' own strong prayers and actions
that bring about a new history.
Leaders who set the pace by their own actions
and who are ablaze with a passion for kosen-rufu
are the ones that light the flame of courage
in the hearts of their fellow members.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin encourages us to "treat our friends with courtesy."* With the utmost of sincerity, let's strengthen the bonds we have with our old friends. And with a friendly smile and bright cheerful greeting, let's make every effort to establish new friendships.

Daisaku Ikeda

*"... treating one's friends with courtesy means that, although one may encounter them ten or twenty times in the course of a single day, one greets them courteously as though they had traveled a thousand or two thousand miles to see one, never showing them indifference." - "The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude", WND-II, page 636

Status
Not open for further replies.