What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"You must not only persevere yourself; you must also teach others. Both practice and study arise from faith. Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is only a single sentence or phrase."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 386) Selection source: Basics of Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, November 27th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Because I have expounded this teaching, I have been exiled and almost killed. As the saying goes, 'Good advice grates on the ear.' But still I am not discouraged."

(The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 997) Selection source: "Gosho Study for November", Daibyakurenge, November 2011

Bonzo

Veteran
"as much as we sometimes resist the idea, a smile :) and a few kind words can achieve near miracles in reducing hostility in many situations"

woo hoo! so smile on my friends! :)

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Bonzoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I've got to share this with OutKast, it's so on time!

"When one objectively acknowledges, accepts, and embraces one's weaknesses; they in fact, no longer continue to be that."(PTD)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Brothers and Sisters, I will be traveling for the next three weeks and will catch you all as I can. I'm off to see my dad and will talk to many of you soon.

Much love and deepest respect,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Come, let's bring forth that courage
to talk with others about our philosophy!
Together let's create an outstanding victory, as the Gosho says,
as "the only memory of your present life in this human world."*
December, the last month of the year, is here.
Let's strive to bring the year to a fruitful conclusion,
challenging all that we have set out to do
and leaving no regrets behind.

Daisaku Ikeda]

* Gosho: Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra – The Writings of
Nichiren Daishonin, page 64, "Single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and urge
others to do the same; that will remain as the only memory of your present life
in this human world.”

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Believe in this mandala with all your heart. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is like the roar of a lion. What sickness can therefore be an obstacle?"

(Reply to Kyo'o - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 412) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 1st, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And could not this illness of your husband’s be the Buddha’s design, because the Vimalakirti and Nirvana sutras both teach that sick people will surely attain Buddhahood? Illness gives rise to the resolve to attain the way."

(The Good Medicine for All Ills - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 937) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 2nd, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"One day the district leader Taketo Shimadera visited her and said: 'Mrs. Suzumura, if you truly want to transform your karma and become happy, chanting daimoku alone isn’t enough. This is a practice for oneself and others, so in addition to doing gongyo and chanting daimoku we need to share this Buddhism with others. If you only pray for your own happiness, your faith will be selfish and self-centered.'

"She countered: 'But I still haven’t solved my problems. When I do, I’ll focus on teaching others.'

"'No, that’s not how it works. If you were sick, would you avoid going to the hospital because you don’t feel well enough to get out of bed and go there? Or would you hurry to the hospital in order to get better, even though you may find it hard to do so.'

"'You are right, if I was suffering, I guess I’d hurry to the hospital.'

"'Yes, you see now. The same is true of this Buddhism. If you want to overcome your present sufferings, you shouldn’t put off making the effort, but take action right away. Of course if you are too physically ill, you don’t need to push yourself.'

"'You can share this Buddhism without travelling far. Just talk about Buddhism to those who come to your house, or to your neighbours. The important thing is to earnestly share the Daishonin’s Buddhism motivated by your determination for everyone to become happy.'

"'But I don’t know what to say....'

"'Start with what you know,' said Shimadera encouragingly. 'Sharing why you decided to start this practice yourself is an excellent method. Or you can go with your husband to speak about Buddhism, and back up what he says by nodding in agreement and saying, "Yes, that’s right," "Yes, that’s so true.""

SGI Newsletter No. 8390, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 1, Light of
Happiness 28, translated Nov. 28th, 2011

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
internet connection has been giving us grief lately . We are here and reading :)
Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin states,
"Not once have I thought of retreat."*
Let's chant daimoku earnestly, single-mindedly,
and never ever give up that spirit!
Let's share this Buddhism and its philosophy with others,
courageously and boldly.
Let's advance, and then advance even more!

Daisaku Ikeda

*"The Great Battle" - WND, Vol. 2, page 465

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Just as flowers open up and bear fruit, just as the moon appears and invariably grows full, just as a lamp becomes brighter when oil is added, and just as plants and trees flourish with rain, so will human beings never fail to prosper when they make good causes."

(The Third Day of the New Year - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1013) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 3rd, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"‘I’ve completed my mission, and now I can just relax and enjoy myself.’ If you do, your faith will begin to crumble. Your struggle is just beginning."

SGI Newsletter No. 8389, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 1, Light of Happiness 25, translated Nov. 25th, 2011

Bonzo

Veteran
GOOD MORNING! :) Nam Myoho Renge Kyo! oooooweeee! lotta good stuff there T! "soon as i solve my problems i can focus on helping others" ouch! well i just need a job and ill be good, i need a job so i can gat the car, i need the job so i can get the car so i can get the girl! need the job to get the car to get the girl to get the house! THEN, i'll be happy and THEN i can focus on helpng others! lost my train of thought..i dunno when i put needs of the needy ahead of my WANTING i suddenly see that what i want usually is'nt what i need...and it feels good!

excuse my rambling its an awesome day!!

peace and love my friends! :)

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Soon I'll be able to PM again....

Soon I'll be able to PM again....

Howdy friends,

Boy oh Boy have I been fucking lazy and in a stupor of negative vibes lately! Going to take the graduate school entrance exam at the end of the month and I'm not supporting the meetings as I normally do. So yes, you're boy is extra stressed out emotionally, but also financially! I had a great year, and was even planning a trip for this month, but all of a sudden I'm so tight financially! I'm not going into more serious debt, but I'm not advancing as well as I should be in my opinion. I always more, but sometimes I do nothing and expect more!

I'm not trying to bash myself or anything because it seems to me like I exhausted myself with so many activities and messed up causes. However, I'm not happy right now and feel like I need a big toso with my chanting growers to get back in rythym. In fact, chanting always puts me back in gear and I know I need more daimoku more than anything else right now.

I keep reflecting on the recent posts by T, which are directed at me (in my opinion) as messages from the Gohonzon to keep me in check. Haven't been doing much shakubuku lately, but I'm not quitting and will continue to do shakubuku for the rest of my life.

I'm trying to root some clones and haven't seen a darn root yet and its almost been two weeks! I'm trying to get a 700 out of 800 on the gmat and I'm only testing in the mid 500s! I'm trying to relax at home and be happy with what I have, but I am constantly fantasizing about "bigger and better" on a daily basis! I've been feeling like I'm suffering from Low Testosterone lately, but all the wild shit I did this year indicates otherwise!

Soooooo.... what am I all confused about? Well, it feels like fundamental darkness is right at my doorstep and I'm doing the bare minimum to keep it out, but its not enough! I gotta suss that devil of the sixth heaven down the block, outta the neighborhood and out of my life! I gotta control my more destructive tendancies and still be the best I can be. I gotta get over this depression and realize happiness!!!!

We're almost at 1000 pages, I hope before that milestone to report some great victories because it feels like my life has gone on some sort of injury break in the middle of the game season! Fuck it, I'll get back on track and report some progress. I'm really not quitting my faith ever, I'm just losing my marbles lately coping with some fucked up decisions. Gathering my hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow, and preparing today for the next best parts of my life.

Greatings and saluatations to all! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.