What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EasyMyohoDisco

sgi baby!
I was at an awesome Discussion Meeting today and I'm so pumped withi positive energy nibirubian!

Should be enjoying and awesome sunset then some more chanting. I'm feeling great since I've been challenged to chant more. Supporting each of you when requested and needed has been really motivating lately.

Although I haven't been posting much lately I'm in rythym and in spirit all the way. You know what i mean!

Wishing each ofyou friends the very best,
Myoho Disco

im so glad to see you guys here, i have been out of practice for a while, but can tell you it is amazing, its a higher consciousness while your in practice
anyway like i said its great to see all of you here cause during my practice with my little group i think it was me who brought up smoking weed, and the senior members spoke against it saying that it says in the writings of Nichiren is against anything that alters your consciousness
can i please have some words of wisdom to say otherwise
(not that i dont beleive it) cause i obviously smoke
but just put it in words so i can have a better understanding, and so that i may pass on the understanding if necessary
thanks
peace

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the senior members spoke against it saying that it says in the writings of Nichiren is against anything that alters your consciousness
peace

If you read the thread, I think you'll find an awful lot of Gosho here. Did you ask them where it says that? Studying the Gosho for the last thirty-six years, I would believe them to be mistaken and perhaps just repeating standard line information without firm evidence. Certainly no pot smoking at region and above organizational responsibilities, because you are representing the organization and it is illegal in most places under most circumstances. A Gosho saying what you are saying, without stretching interpretation to fit the circumstance, is something I have never come across.

By the way, doesn't sake alter your consciousness? I believe when I drank it, it most certainly did.

"Drink sake only at home with your wife, and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." Happiness in This World / WND pg. 681

As far as the admonition of "Strengthen your power of faith more than ever", that's pretty much what we do here and have been for several years now. And I assume most of us smoke fairly regularly. So I think you have to be the judge and do what you think is right. By the way NEVER be afraid to say, "Where's it say that?" A lot of people bullshit about things they think they know. It is each of our responsibilities to discern the truth.

Welcome Nib!

Warm regards and deep respect,

Thomas

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good to hear from you DESI!!!!!!!!

Chant for SoCal!!!

Chant for Bonzo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where the hell is Hit?

Deepest respect to all!

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The phrase 'treasures in a storehouse' in 'The Three Kinds of Treasure' refers to money and material wealth. 'Treasures of the body' are the physical body, health, and our physical skills and abilities. 'Treasures of the heart' are our inner strength and brilliance, the richness of our character and humanity that we build within our lives. And by extension they refer to the indestructible good fortune we shall enjoy across the three existences. 'Treasures of the heart' are acquired through the practice of Buddhism.

..."Even the most enormous wealth is not inexhaustible, and it can all be lost in a moment--during a disaster, for example. If we have our health, however, we can always work hard again and acquire more wealth. So our body, our health, are more important than wealth. That's why the Daishonin writes: 'More valuable than treasures in a storehouse are the treasures of the body.

"But even 'treasures of the body' gradually fade, as we grow old or fall ill. Such treasures are not eternal. Moreover, we can have a strong, healthy body, but if our mind is filled with insecurity and fear, or with envy and malice, our lives will still be very unhappy. While 'treasures in the storehouse' and 'treasures of the body' are important, they do not always guarantee happiness.

"The 'treasures of the heart' are the ultimate key to true happiness. Without these treasures, there can be no genuine happiness. As the Indian non-violence champion Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948) once wisely observed: 'Happiness was largely a mental condition.' But modern civilization has low regard for the heart, the mind, because it has so far advanced by exclusively focusing on pursuing and acquiring 'treasures in the storehouse' and 'treasures of the body.'"

SGI Newsletter No. 7846, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 22: Chap. 4, The Treasure of Life 17, translated Aug 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The movement towards Kosen-rufu is all about our sincere actions to send a breeze of joy and happiness into people's hearts.*Cheerfully and victoriously, let's advance along our own unique paths of "joyfully spreading the Mystic Law!"**

Daisaku Ikeda

*"Why do mandarava and manjushaka flowers rain down and breezes scented with sandalwood delight the hearts of the assembly?" - The Lotus Sutra, "Introduction" chapter

**"'I will live exactly as the Daishonin teaches!' This is the faith of 'rejoicing.' The SGI has laboured with the fundamental spirit to live according to the Daishonin's writings. By striving to do this, we can experience true joy and benefit.

"In short, no benefit can compare to the joy of dedicating one's life to kosen-rufu. No joy is greater than the joy of propagating the Mystic Law. Nothing is greater than the joy of seeing other people become happy as a result of our efforts in dialogue. And when we rejoice at others' happiness, our own lives become increasingly pure.

"Propagation has nothing to do with arrogance. On the contrary, it is motivated by a sincere desire to share Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism with others, delighted at our good fortune to have been born as human beings and to be able to expound the Law."
(The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, Vol. 5, "Joyfully Spreading the Mystic Law")

If you read the thread, I think you'll find an awful lot of Gosho here. Did you ask them where it says that? Studying the Gosho for the last thirty-six years, I would believe them to be mistaken and perhaps just repeating standard line information without firm evidence. Certainly no pot smoking at region and above organizational responsibilities, because you are representing the organization and it is illegal in most places under most circumstances. A Gosho saying what you are saying, without stretching interpretation to fit the circumstance, is something I have never come across.

By the way, doesn't sake alter your consciousness? I believe when I drank it, it most certainly did.

"Drink sake only at home with your wife, and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." Happiness in This World / WND pg. 681

As far as the admonition of "Strengthen your power of faith more than ever", that's pretty much what we do here and have been for several years now. And I assume most of us smoke fairly regularly. So I think you have to be the judge and do what you think is right. By the way NEVER be afraid to say, "Where's it say that?" A lot of people bullshit about things they think they know. It is each of our responsibilities to discern the truth.

Welcome Nib!

Warm regards and deep respect,

Thomas

thanks, whats the newspaper called? world tribune and the magizine?
i figured exactly that just couldnt put it to words i needed someone else to vocalize it
great
peace

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Whats up Buddies!

I'm so stoked because I'm starting school again to finish my undergraduate degree and by next year we should be applying to Law School or Business School!

Let's keep doing it together, going to school tonight is a great achievement for me that i share with my beloved Chanting Growers with the utmost pride and honor. You are all my favorite district and closest friends.

Let's keep practicing together and sharing our progress openly. I love this thread and I love you too!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING! I KNOW IT BEGINS WITH ME BUT WITH YOU IT IS SOOOO MUCH SWEETER!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'Treasures of the heart' are not restricted to this existence. They adorn our hearts forever, throughout the three existences, and they are also the key source that enables us to acquire 'treasures in the storehouse' and 'treasures of the body.'Genuine happiness is not determined by 'treasures in the storehouse' or 'treasures of the body.' It's determined by the inner strength and richness of our hearts. If our hearts are burning with hope and courage at all times and filled with the spirit of challenge, we'll be brimming with joy and vigour no matter what our situation. This is true happiness."

SGI Newsletter No. 7846, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 22: Chap. 4, The Treasure of Life 18, translated Aug. 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In the light of the above points, this shows, my followers, that you had better cut short your sleep by night and curtail your leisure by day, and ponder this! You must not spend your lives in vain and regret it for ten thousand years to come."

(The Problem to Be Pondered Night and Day - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 622) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, September 1st, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Thanks for the words Desi. Thanks for the great support Tom. Thanks for the great support Socal and Babba. Thanks for being my sister in kosen-rufu Mrs. Babba. Big Thanks to Scegy for being himself, which is a very awesome Buddha. Thanks to Trichy for behind the scenes support and friendship, you're encouragement has been outstanding. Thanks to my troubles for keeping me going back to the Gohonzon!

I'm revving up to finish the Year up strong! When I focus as much as possible on SGI activities so many great things happen. Yet the time goes by too fast!

So I'm just appreciating yall once again because through our chanting we are actually doing Kosen-rufu! Salute yourselves as I continue to salute you for all your efforts!

Like the roar of a powerful lion, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Last edited:

scegy

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo,
like the ROAR OF THE LION!

Keep going on friends, you are all recieving Daimoku!
ROAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
People tend to compare themselves to others. Of course, it is important to try to learn from others' good traits. But it's petty to envy what appears to be their happiness and good fortune. Nothing comes of that. Those who focus on polishing themselves and living with a sense of purpose are the victors in life. Please engrave this point deeply in your heart.

(SGI Newsletter No. 7830, SGI President Ikeda's Speech, Young Women's Division Commemorative Gathering, Part 2 of 5. Translated August 4th, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and urge others to do the same; that will remain as the only memory of your present life in this human world."

(Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 64)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wanted to thank everyone for there warm welcome back . i cant really post the way i used to , but you are all in my thoughts.

And you are in our thoughts! You always have been and always will be. Whatever it is that you are going through, you have to chant to change it, no matter how hopeless it may seem. Chant for victory over this!

Chant to stay strong and fight to the last bit of strength you can muster. If you never give up fighting, you win no matter the outcome because you played the Master Hand--The Triumph of the Human Spirit.

You are a Buddha FA! Act like it. Believe it! Do it! Whatever the problem, overcome it! Fight like hell and know we are here for you Brother!

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The accepting and upholding of this original Law is expressed in the single word "belief" or "faith." The single word "belief" is the sharp sword with which one confronts and overcomes fundamental darkness or ignorance. The commentary [Words and Phrases] says, "Belief means to be without doubt." You should think about this."

(The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, pages 119-120)
Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 15th, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.