What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Employ the strategy of the Lotus Sutra before any other."

(The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1001) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 26, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We can break any impasse with strong prayer!
The Gosho teaches us to pray "as earnestly as though
to produce fire from damp wood"*
Invoking the power of faith,
let's be victorious even in our toughest battles!

Daisaku Ikeda

* Gosho - On Rebuking Slander of the Law and Eradicating Sins - WND-1, page 444, "I am praying that, no matter how troubled the times may become, the Lotus Sutra and the ten demon daughters will protect all of you, praying as earnestly as though to produce fire from damp wood, or to obtain water from parched ground."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"What is the key to creating a bright and shining future? Courage. Those who are fainthearted, weak-spirited, or cowardly, those who are always seeking to curry favor cannot hope to achieve true greatness or accomplish anything of real, lasting importance. I've observed countless people in the course of my life. Among them have also been some who grew corrupt and betrayed their fellow members. Through my experience, I can declare unequivocally that courage is crucial if one hopes to remain undefeated by dishonest, unscrupulous people, and to triumph over all obstacles. Courage and fearlessness—these characteristics are the essence of the Daishonin's Buddhism. Let's advance boldly. Faith is another name for courage. It is not social status or position but genuine courage that makes a person great."

SGI Newsletter No. 7827, SGI President Ikeda's Speech at the 31ST SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING—PART 2 [OF 2]: "Faith Is Another Name for Courage", translated July 28th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Only by defeating a powerful enemy can one prove one's real strength. When an evil ruler in consort with priests of erroneous teachings tries to destroy the correct teaching and do away with a man of wisdom, those with the heart of a lion king are sure to attain Buddhahood."

(Letter from Sado - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 302) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's essay, Seikyo Shimbun, August 7th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let us not allow "the right time" to escape us.
Taking focused and resolute action towards our goal,
let us grasp our chance to win!
When we use every single day meaningfully
we can dramatically turn even the toughest situation around!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although I and my disciple may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbor doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 283) Selection source: "Sunday Wide - Experience", Seikyo Shimbun, August 9th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perhaps it is natural for people to be drawn to bright lights and glamour. It is often thought that fame makes a person somehow special, and those with high social status are often regarded as great. But that is a shallow, deluded way of thinking.

Each one of you is the most precious treasure of all. Happiness does not exist outside of you. There is nothing more wonderful than you are. This is what Buddhism teaches. A genuine, meaningful philosophy enables us to bring the most precious treasure that is our life to shine brilliantly.

(SGI Newsletter No. 7830, SGI President Ikeda's Speech, Young Women's Division Commemorative Gathering, Part 2 of 5. Translated August 4th, 2009)

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Yesterday was incredibly difficult, I do not know how I would have made it thru the events without chanting to keep myself calm and centered.

I had to go to Eddy Lepp's Farm and retrieve his valuable writings and journals, as we would like to publish a book of his writings about what happened to him and his family.

It was so incredibly sad seeing the place without him there smiling and happy. Everyone in the "family" is trying to keep things together, but as usual the evil forces out there continuously wreak havoc with Eddy's life.

An imposter is going around collecting money "for" Eddy, and has reportedly collected several thousand $$$. Hope her conscience gets the better of her soon and she hands over the funds to Eddy's bank!

Many people have the idea that because Eddy is gone, it's a free-for-all grab bag up at the Farm. Rest assured there are devoted folks on the property to make sure everything stays where it is. We have already made plans to store his personal effects should the Farm be lost.

To keep the Farm for the future of his family and friends we need to keep chanting. If it's not meant to be, chanting will certainly help us deal with the emotional trauma of having to clear the place out.

One way or another we will not forget Eddy Lepp, nor the many wonderful things he has done to help so many people.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

And yes, we still have the evil forces that Bush appointed running the Federal Prosecutor's office here in Northern California. Obama promised to stop the raids, they have continued. Obama promised to help the medical marijuana patients, they are still be locked up. Nothing has CHANGEd.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Thanks for listening to me rant...

Thing is with truth there are no lables just truth. As Mr Garcia sang "the job is to shed light and not to master." Be what you is cause if you is what you aint you aint what you is.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If we base ourselves on our own fickle, ever-changing hearts or minds, we will not be able to make our way up steep ridges buffeted by the fierce winds of devilish functions. We must set our sights on the solid and unshakable summit of attaining Buddhahood and continually seek to master our minds. This is the meaning of the words, "become the master of your mind rather than let your mind master you" (WND-1, 502).

Becoming the master of one's mind ultimately means basing oneself on the unwavering foundation of the Law. Herein lies the importance of sutras or writings containing the teachings of the Buddha who has awakened to and spreads the Law. For us, as practitioners of the Daishonin'sBuddhism, mastering our mind means basing ourselves on theGohonzon and the Daishonin's writings. And in Buddhism, it is the teacher or mentor who puts the teachings into practice that helps us connect to the Law. Mastering our mind means living our lives with a sincere seeking spirit in faith based on the shared commitment of mentor and disciple, and not being ruled by arrogant egoism or self-centeredness.

(SGI Newsletter No. 7832: SGI President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY, [6] "Letter to the Brothers" Part 3 [of 3]. Translated August 5th, 2009)

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once we make a determination,
let's put it into action right away!
Those who boldly and fearlessly
persevere in their conviction
have the best chance of winning.

Daisaku Ikeda

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
I love this one!

I love this one!

We can break any impasse with strong prayer!
The Gosho teaches us to pray "as earnestly as though
to produce fire from damp wood"*
Invoking the power of faith,
let's be victorious even in our toughest battles!

Daisaku Ikeda

* Gosho - On Rebuking Slander of the Law and Eradicating Sins - WND-1, page 444, "I am praying that, no matter how troubled the times may become, the Lotus Sutra and the ten demon daughters will protect all of you, praying as earnestly as though to produce fire from damp wood, or to obtain water from parched ground."

I've been working on this one, the last couple weeks, but reading it 'here' turns my 'cotton into wood'......it helps solidify everything.......all the support you all give strengthens my inner courage......thank you all immensely!.........desi!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Desi great to see you post up :) thanks for checking in !!
Bonzo check in bro ... we know you are out there!!
Nam myoho renge kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.