What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nichiren Daishonin clearly states: "If the Law [teaching] that one embraces is supreme, then the person who embraces it must accordingly be foremost among all others" (WND-1, 61). What makes a person truly great? Not wealth, fame, or physical beauty. There are many cases where people enjoy fame for a period of time, but end up leading unhappy lives. True greatness is determined by the teachings we embrace and the philosophy we study, and the extent to which we put these into practice in our daily lives.

(SGI Newsletter No. 7830, SGI President Ikeda's Speech, Young Women's Division Commemorative Gathering, Part 2 of 5. Translated August 4th, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"What a joy it is for us to have been born in the Latter Day of the Law and to have shared in the propagation of the Lotus Sutra!"

(Letter to Niike - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1026) Selection source: "Suntetsu", Seikyo Shimbun, August 2nd, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shin'ichi said with all his heart: "An organization is a network of human relationships. We need to create bonds with individual members within our organization. If the relationships are only between leaders and members, our organization will be weak. When we really care about everyone we come into contact with as fellow siblings, our organization will be truly humane.

"The way to make our organization strong is to strive to forge ties of trust linking ourselves to everyone else. Become the kind of person whom everyone appreciates for helping them overcome their problems, for encouraging them and giving them hope. That's what I've always done. I'm consistently striving my hardest to establish strong ties with every Soka Gakkai member. I encourage hundreds and thousands of members every day, in one form or another. These ties are what makes the Soka Gakkai strong.

"If this solidarity of individuals is lost, we'll end up working at cross purposes and the Soka Gakkai will perish. Please never forget this crucial point."

(SGI Newsletter No. 7829, The New Human Revolution-- Vol. 22: Chap. 3, High Seas 59, translated July 31st, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Words of encouragement can boost another's confidence a hundred times over! Let us wholeheartedly praise the efforts of our fellow members who are working selflessly for the sake of kosen-rufu, "showing them the same respect we would a Buddha."*

Daisaku Ikeda

* Gosho: "The Fourteen Slanders", WND-1, Page 757, "Even an ignorant person can obtain blessings by serving someone who expounds the Lotus Sutra. No matter if he is a demon or an animal, if someone proclaims even a single verse or phrase of the Lotus Sutra, you must respect him as you would the Buddha. This is what the sutra means when it says, 'You should rise and greet him from afar, showing him the same respect you would a Buddha.' You should respect one another as Shakyamuni and Many Treasures did at the ceremony in the 'Treasure Tower' chapter."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"From now on too, no matter what may happen, you must not slacken in the least. You must raise your voice all the more and admonish [those who slander]. Even if your life should be threatened, you must not falter in the least."

(Kamatari Suggests the Fashioning of a Buddha Image - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 597) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, July 29th, 2009

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Greetings and Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to Thomas and all... I understand that T has had some really bad weather and hope he is ok. Plants come and go, but people are hareder to replace...hope all is well with your family...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Been working on chanting long distance with Mom and raising a kitten. Other than that struggling to stave off the evil forces that be.

With perserverance we can conquer all...Nam Myoho Rengo Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS: I'm glad to say the skies have cleared and the crisis has abated. It seems what started it ended it and I am most greatful to have this behind me. Unfortunately Coal Bear isn't long for this world and the stress of him leaving is still a VERY sad thing for me.

I bow in humble obeisance to you all. Thank you for being in my life! "Do no slacken your fervour in the least!" I must now make these my watchwords forever. Thanks Chris!

Much love and deepest respect,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The French philosopher Alain (real name Emile Chartier: 1868-1951) wrote in his work On Happiness: "They say that happiness always eludes us. That is true for happiness that we have handed to us, for there is no such happiness. But the happiness we make for ourselves is not illusory. It is a learning process, and one never stops learning." A youth spent learning sets one on a trajectory to happiness.

(SGI Newsletter No. 7830, SGI President Ikeda's Speech, Young Women's Division Commemorative Gathering, Part 2 of 5. Translated August 4th, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Whatever trouble occurs, regard it as no more than a dream, and think only of the Lotus Sutra."

(Letter to Brothers - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 502) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 14th, 2009

Leviathan

its amazing daily how blessed i am from theese teachings by Nichiren , just this morning i was cut of at the light but somebody in a rush, i decided to not let the rude finger gesture that this person gave me upset me , while i visited my sister i decided to chant to find peace as this incident shocked me, well wouldnt u know on the way home the man happened to be in the lane next to me and rolled down his window and gave me a courtesy apology, its times like theese were im reminded of the power of chanting, i chanted to my mystical box(gohonzon) for 25 minutes over something that happens daily, what if everyone could chant over traffic infringements, there would be so much less road rage and cops woulnt have nearly as many speeders. i feel like a warrior for peace on are roads of life and tribulation, how many are with me.

Leviathan

on a sadder or note i lost my job, and the man i met is moving out of town, well if the gohonzon gave me a job and a man with beautiful balls once im sure it can do it again for me. nam myho renge kyo

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Albert Schweitzer said:
"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve."

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

"Therefore, I say to you, my disciplines, try practicing as the Lotus Sutra teaches, exerting yourselves without begrudging your lives! Test the truth of Buddhism now!"
~ Written by Nichiren Daishonin to Yui in 1275

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey SoCal, Coal Bear passed peacefully into Ku today. I am beginning to believe that the most important reason for us to overcome the fear of death is to have compassion for those approaching it. It's not a pretty sight to see and it is emotionally draining to the extreme. But I am so glad that Gohonzon had the mercy to allow me to be there for his final hours chanting Daimoku and reassuring him as the moment came near.

He was a good friend and I'll miss him deeply until the next time.

But the next time will come. I guaranteed that today. Thank you Gohonzon!!!

Tearfully bowing in humble obeisance,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buddhism and life are a struggle to secure the values that are good and positive. I say to you who are resolved to undertake this struggle: Forge ahead boldly and exuberantly, winning unceasingly along the way.

(SGI Newsletter No. 7827, SGI President Ikeda's Speech, 31st Soka Gakkai Headquarters Leaders Meeting - Part 2 [of 2], Translated July 28th, 2009)

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Your loss is my loss too Buddy. I chanted for an hour today at the center and will be chanting more often going forward. Thank you for sharing that with us and all my best to you and yours. I'll consider Coal Bear in my prayers as I continue to pray for Tony Matsuoka, Ted Osaki, and Jolene.

I have a better impulse to keep studying and practicing this Buddhism everyday because I also participate with each of you in my daily practice here. After morning Gongyo and chanting and before evening Gongyo and chanting we are still practicing and vice versa!

Going for the biggest class load yet starting this week. I'm still aiming for my next graduation December 2010. Then onto Law School! I'll continue to chant for all of us in this thread now and beyond the scope of my career and education. My hopes are becoming more in tune with preparing to educate others in the future, I just need to keep studying to reach that Professor/Doctor status I want to achieve.

Upward and Onward! We can always go forward fresh, with our faith leading the way.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If we hope to bring order and tranquillity to the world without further delay, we must put an end to these slanders of the Law that fill the country."

(On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 22) Selection source: Learning from "On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land", Seikyo Shimbun, July 31st, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"More valuable than treasures in a storehouse are the treasures of the body, and the treasures of the heart are the most valuable of all."

(The Three Kinds of Treasure - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 851) Selection source: "Kyo No Hosshin" Seikyo Shimbun, Thursday July 30th, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.