What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
What caused you to inwardly believe in the Lotus Sutra and make offerings to me
during my more than thirty-day stay there? I was hated and resented by the
steward and the people of the district even more than I was in Kamakura. Those
who saw me scowled, while those who merely heard my name were filled with spite.
And yet, though I was there in the fifth month when rice was scarce, you
secretly fed me. Have my parents been reborn in a place called Kawana, in Ito of
Izu Province?

(WND, 35)
The Izu Exile
Written to Funamori Yasaburo on June 27, 1261

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Courage is free. Anyone can have it. Courage is another name for the SGI spirit.
Mr. Toda said: "The Buddha is filled with compassion, but it is hard for us
common mortals to show compassion. So we must have courage instead." In other
words, when we work courageously for kosen-rufu, our actions by their very
nature become compassionate.

Daisaku Ikeda

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Another hole in One!

Another hole in One!

Courage is free. Anyone can have it. Courage is another name for the SGI spirit.
Mr. Toda said: "The Buddha is filled with compassion, but it is hard for us
common mortals to show compassion. So we must have courage instead." In other
words, when we work courageously for kosen-rufu, our actions by their very
nature become compassionate.

Daisaku Ikeda

Thank you SoCal!

If president Ikeda was a golfer he'd have more hole in ones than anyone.

I'm drumming for courage! Can you hear the beat?

hi everyone , its been so long since i have come here , i hope some of you remember me , babba , so cal pass the doobie , ive been away due to some major tragedies in my life , but now that im back this is the first place i wanted to stop . Nam myoho renge kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Levi,

Thanks so much for posting that! If that's you congrats, I love to see such great progress from other chanting Bodhisattvas every chance I get!

Thank you so much for sharing that, it was a great end to a quirky day! Off to do laundry and congrats again Leviathan! WOOOHOOO FOR YOU!

Fallen,

Welcome back!

"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy, regard both suffering and joy as facts of life and continue to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! for the rest of your life!"

You'll be very pleased to read so many great pages since your last account's last post! Enjoy and come on back when you get a chance :)

Peace,
MyohoDisco f/k/a EasyDisco!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi everyone , its been so long since i have come here , i hope some of you remember me , babba , so cal pass the doobie , ive been away due to some major tragedies in my life , but now that im back this is the first place i wanted to stop . Nam myoho renge kyo

Wow, I just get back online and another of my favorite peoples drops back in! Hi FA! I swear, I swear, I was just thinking about you the last time I did a call out for eveyone, wondering how you were and where you had gone. Welcome home!

I have been gone for three weeks myself. We've been having really bad weather here and everything got kind of messed up! Outdoors efforts byebye--swept away literally. Lots of erosion and landslides. Internet out for a week.

I'm happy to be back but I have some catching up to do.

Much love and deep respect,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Have profound faith. A coward cannot have any of his prayers answered."

(The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1001)Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, August 8th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Speaking of the importance of philosophy, Mr. Toda said:

Why do we need philosophy? Why do our lives need the Daishonin's Buddhism? If it were enough to just do as we pleased, there'd be no need to go to school and study or have religious faith. But if we follow that course, we'll only come to regret it later. On the other hand, what incredible joy there is to be found in studying philosophy, studying Buddhism, and discovering the depth of life, and, based on that, seeking and attaining true and lasting happiness with an open heart and profound emotion. What an immeasurable delight it is to know the deeply wondrous nature of life and experience our own being brimming with limitless joy!

(SGI Newsletter No. 7830, SGI President Ikeda's Speech, Young Women's Division Commemorative Gathering, Part 2 of 5. Translated August 4th, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Shin'ichi said in a clear and understandable manner: 'It's important to encourage members to chant and share Buddhism with others, but you first need to open others' hearts and befriend them if you want to win their sympathy and understanding. For example, you can start by just inviting someone over to your house for a friendly visit. Or talk about a book you read recently that you enjoyed. Or ask about their father or mother. Everything starts from opening up and coming to know and understand each other as people. Then you can gradually shift the conversation from everyday topics to the philosophy needed to live a good life, and from there you can suggest studying Buddhist philosophy together, or suggest they attend a Gakkai meeting."

(SGI Newsletter No. 7828, The New Human Revolution-- Vol. 22: Chap. 3, High Seas 58, translated July 30th, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Shakyamuni taught that the shallow is easy to embrace, but the profound is difficult. To discard the shallow and seek the profound is the way of a person of courage."

(On the Buddha's Prophecy - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 402) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 6th, 2009

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow

wow

Fallen ive thought of you many times and wondered what was up !! So glad to see you !! Hope things are on a good track now. Hope we get some time to share.

Sorry about the delay in my posting here ... just got home from a 4 day stay at HempFest. Glad to see everyone posting up and doing well !!

Nam myoho renge kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Fallen,

great to see you back here. Been some time. I left for several months and regretted it but now I am trying to post whenever I have some spare time. Hope you hang around and make some great changes.

Nam myoho renge kyo

Levi, great benefits!

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"There is nothing more noble than inviting our friends to discussion meetings, gathering together to enable them to establish a connection with Buddhism, to talk about Buddhist teachings, and to deepen our faith. As the Lotus Sutra clearly indicates, through such steady, dedicated efforts to teach others about Buddhism, you are accumulating the good fortune and benefit to be reborn as great leaders and savor a state of unsurpassed freedom in lifetime after lifetime."

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Our Daimoku

Our Daimoku

Our Daimoku

“Myo ho renge kyo is the common name for both the Buddha Nature that is equally inherent in the lives of all living beings, and for the mystic law to which all Buddhas in the 3 existences are awakened.

Accordingly Nichiren Daishonin says that by chanting this name even once, we are calling forth the law to which all Buddh nature of all living beings; its benefit is therefore infinite and boundless.

Chanting to the Gohonzon calls forth the Buddha nature that exists within our Life. Nichiren Daishonin said (I quote)"All Buddhist gods throughout the universe move in response to our voice. You should understand that one’s life and its environment at a single moment encompass the 3 thousand realms. Therefore when one attains the Buddha Way , one puts onself in accord with this fundamental principle, and one’s body and mind at a single moment pervade the entire realm of Phenomena (WND, 366) "

This passage expresses a completely free state of life in which, by embracing the five characters of Myoho Renge Kyo, we achieve
Observation of the mind; in which the Myoho renge kyo within our lives becomes one with the Myoho renge kyo of the universe, and we freely manifest boundless life force.

In other words one is in total rhythm with Nam Myoho renge kyo, and the mystic law. When we are in such a life state, then we find that everything we need in order to be truly happy can appear. This had been my experience throughout my practice – that when my life was profoundly in rhythm with the universe, what I needed appeared as if from nowhere.”

[Abstracted from Summer Course 2003 - Lecture from SGI UK Robert Samuels]

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I, Nichiren, have inscribed my life in sumi ink, so believe in the Gohonzon with your whole heart. The Buddha’s will is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 412
Reply to Kyo’o
Written to Kyo’o and her parents, Nichigen-nyo and Shijo Kingo, on August 15, 1273

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The first thing is to pray. From the moment we begin to pray, things start moving. The darker the night, the closer the dawn. From the moment we chant daimoku with a deep and powerful resolve, the sun begins to rise in our hearts. Hope-prayer is the sun of hope. To chant daimoku each time we face a problem, overcoming it and elevating our life-condition as a result-this is the path of “changing earthly desires into enlightenment,” taught in Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Prayer to the Gohonzon, chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, is not abstract or
theorectical. It is a burning inner flame to be victorious. If that flame of
resolve blazes in our heart, the instant we chant, we have already won."

Daisaku Ikeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts