cowardice there is no happiness. When you wage a struggle, you might
      win or you might lose. But regardless of the short-term outcome, the
      very fact of your continuing to struggle is proof of your victory as a
      human being. A strong spirit, strong faith and strong prayer --
      developing these is victory and the world of Buddhahood."

Daisaku Ikeda
      SoCal

Comment

I've been attracting new chanters lately like mosquitoes to a zapping blue light! I got two ladies that should be accompanying us to our sunday afternoon meeting and even I'm going to school almost everyday of the week I will be at the culture center every weekend until march 16 working polishing my life and doing my best for kosen-rufu and the success of the march 16 meetings. This year will be my second year with Gohonzon at the end of next month and I'm glad Bartender gave us a copy of the thread to commemorate the amazing changes my life has produced thanks to diligently supporting and praying for the thread.

I chanted alot for DG and Gypsy and if I would've been asked to do it in 2005 or 2004 I would not have. Honestly, the change in my life is supreme, I see everything as the middle way I'm seeking. I'm so lucky I have such good friends in Gypsy and DG and honestly I'm glad they overcame their struggle victoriously, now DG YOU MUST GET GOHONZON and PRACTICE IN UK AND HOLLAND!!! BRING IT ON SISTER

Lets keep chanting for Brother Babba and Sister mrs.Babba. I love them very much and have their picture next to my altar with President Ikeda and The Doobies, I need pics of Socal and Bonz too! I love you all very much and will keep fighting the best I can with what I got!

You know me, I'm the up and coming kosen-rufu king, the training I recieve on this thread and in practicing correctly is the best training for life in the world! Keep on keeping on amigos!

Much love,
        M

Comment

"According to the Buddhist teachings, prior to Shakyamuni slanderous monks would have incurred the death penalty. But since the time of Shakyamuni, the One Who Can Endure, the giving of alms to slanderous monks is forbidden in the sutra teachings."
          Reference:

WND Page 23
          Page 6 On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land
          Written to Hojo Tokiyori on 16 July 1260 from Kamakura

"All disciples and lay supporters of Nichiren should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the spirit of many in body but one in mind, transcending all differences among themselves to become as inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim. This spiritual bond is the basis for the universal transmission of the ultimate Law of life and death. Herein lies the true goal of Nichiren's propagation. When you are so united, even the great desire for widespread propagation can be fulfilled."
          Reference:

WND Page 217
          Page 216 The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life
          Written to Sairen-bo Nichijo on 11 February 1272 from Sado - Tsukihara

I never in my life had friends that would say such nice things about me and its because I've been very honest in my life and with those I wish to share this Buddhism with. Its had the amazing effect of creating amazing friendships and connections with awesome people, I sincerely hope other chanting growers are doing the best they can to put themselves out there for kosen-rufu. Its not a coincidence that Thomas made this thread just for us! Its a brute fact that this thread has shakubukued many people and will continue to do so!

I agree the time is now if we are to make this thread live on in our daily Lives! Take some guidance from it and go forward with it and make great causes in your life, we're in this together! Thomas has been proving the impact of his abundant daimoku and many have been showing actual proof! Please continue to chant for each other, although we may have things in our lives, we always have each other and those are very important treasures. So take care of yourselves and keep on pumping out daimoku, We're on a roll!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!!
          Last edited by EasyMyohoDisco; 02-16-2008, 10:42.

Comment

Buddhism Is The Clear Mirror That Reflects Our Lives

Buddhism Is The Clear Mirror That Reflects Our Lives
            by D. Ikeda

A Japanese proverb has it that the mirror is a women's soul. It is said that, just as warriors will never part with their swords, women will never part with their mirrors. The oldest metallic mirrors to be unearthed were found in China and Egypt. Older still are mirrors made of polished stone surfaces. Suffice it to say that the history of mirrors is as old as that of the human race

"A bronze mirror may reflect the body, but not the mind. The Lotus Sutra reflects not only our physical form, but out inner being as well. Furthermore, the sutra mirrors, with complete clarity, one's past Karma and it's future effect." [Gosho Zenshu, p.1521]

Even though people may make up their faces, they tend to neglect to polish their lives. Though cosmetics can be applied to the face, one cannot gloss over the face of his soul. The law of cause and effect functioning in the depths of life is strict and impartial. Buddhism teaches that unseen virtue brings about visible reward. In the world of Buddhism, one never fails to receive an effect for his actions-whether for good or bad; therefore, it is meaningless to be two-faced, or to try to put on airs.

"A mind which presently is clouded by illusions originating from the innate darkness of life is like a tarnished mirror, but once it is polished it will become clear, reflecting the enlightenment of immutable truth."[On Attaining Buddhahood]. In this well-known passage, the Daishonin draws parallels between the tradition of mirror polishing and the process of attaining enlightenment.

Observing one's life means to perceive that one's life contains the Ten Worlds and, in particular, the world of Buddhahood. The Gohonzon is a clear mirror. If you practice faith while doubting its effects, you will get results that are at best, unsatisfactory. This is the reflection of your own weak faith on the mirror of the cosmos. On the other hand, when you stand up with strong confidence, you will accrue limitless blessings. Understanding the subtle workings of one's mind is the key to faith and to attaining Buddhahood in this lifetime.

There is a Russian proverb that says, "It is no use to blame the looking glass if your face is awry." Likewise, your happiness or unhappiness is entirely the reflection of the balance of good and bad causes accumulated in your life.

People Who Do Not Know About Mirrors

Many people become angry or grieve over phenomena that are actually nothing but a reflection of their own lives-their state of mind and the causes that they have created. Because they are ignorant of Buddhism's mirror of life, such people cannot see themselves as they truly are. This being the case, they cannot guide others along the correct path of life, nor can they discern the true nature of occurrences in society.

With the thought that we are addressing a person's Buddha Nature, we should politely and calmly carry out a dialogue-sometimes, depending on the situation, mercifully correcting him with fatherly strictness. In the course of such human interaction, the Buddha nature in his or her life functions to protect us. On the other hand, if we belittle or regard that person with contempt, as though gazing into our own image reflected in a mirror, we will be disparaged in return.

In general, the people around us reflect our state of life. Our personal preferences, for example, are mirrored in their attitudes. To the extent that you praise, respect, protect and care for SGI members, who are all children of the Buddha, you will in turn be protected by the Buddhas, and Bodhisattvas of the ten directions and by all heavenly deities. If, on the other hand, you are arrogant or condescending toward members, you will be scolded by the Buddhas in like measures. Leaders, in particular, should be clear on this point and take it deeply to heart.

We are a gathering of the Buddha's children. Therefore if we respect one another, our good fortune will multiply infinitely, like an image reflected back and forth among mirrors. A person who practices alone cannot experience this tremendous multiplication of benefit. In short, the environment that you find yourself in, whether favorable or not, is the product of your own life. Most people, however, fail to understand this and tend to blame others for their trouble. To a greater or lesser extent, all people tend to see their own reflection in others.

Say What Must Be Said

We must gain decisive victory over the harsh realities of society and lead a correct and vibrant life. This is the purpose of our faith. We have to become wise and strong. Also, in the organization for Kosen-Rufu, we have to clearly say what must be said. The purpose of Buddhism is not to produce dupes who blindly follow their leaders. Rather, it is to produce people of wisdom who can judge right from wrong on their own in the clear mirror of Buddhism.

The purpose of Buddhism is to attain Buddhahood. In modern terms, this could be explained as realizing absolute happiness - a state of happiness that can never be destroyed or defeated.

"There is no greater happiness for human beings than chanting Nam-Myoho-renge-kyo"
            [The Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, p. 161]

Edit from a 6 page speech given by President Daisaku Ikeda, June 1981 Summer Course, Trets
            SoCal

Comment

This year like last year I set a goal for 40 shakubuku, I hope to have at least two or three by the end of this month coinciding with my interview at one of three schools I'm applying to. Yesterday's meeting was a complete success, my friend from work speaks mandarin and was so happy to converse with our WD area leader after the meeting in Mandarin. My friend from the gym that came to his second meeting should be receiving Gohonzon before March 16, I'm so very happy. Also in attendance was my friend who goes to college upstate but was around visiting for the weekend and my lady. That was four youth chanting attributed to this thread, I'm so excited, I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT! It makes me so happy to know my friends are picking up on this amazing practice and helping me fill the seats up during our meetings!

I really am going to be even more busy lately than usual, but riding the wave of compassion and unlimited potential, I feel as if I'm ready for action and good to go!

"Grass without roots will die in no time and a river without a source will not flow far. A child without parents is looked down upon. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the heart of the "Life Span" chapter, is the mother of all Buddhas throughout the ten directions and the three existences of past, present and future."

Reference:

WND Page 184
              Page 182 The Essence of the "Life Span" Chapter
              Written on 17 April 1271 from Kamakura

Comment

Bodhisattva Superior Practices received the water of the wisdom of the
                Mystic Law from the Thus Come One Shakyamuni and causes it to flow into
                the wasteland of the people's lives in the evil world of the latter
                age. This is the function of wisdom. Shakyamuni Buddha transferred this
                teaching to Bodhisattva Superior Practices, and now Nichiren propagates
                it in Japan.

(WND, 746-77)
                The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood
                Written to Soya Jiro Hyoe-no-jo Kyoshin on August 3, 1276
                SoCal

Comment

"Life contains the capacity, like flames that reach toward heaven, to
                  transform suffering and pain into the energy needed for value-creation,
                  into light that illuminates darkness. Like the wind traversing vast
                  spaces unhindered, life has the power to uproot and overturn all
                  obstacles and difficulties. Like clear flowing water, it can wash away
                  all stains and impurities. And finally, life, like the great earth that
                  sustains vegetation, impartially protects all people with its
                  compassionate, nurturing force."

Daisaku Ikeda
                  SoCal

Comment

"Religious strife must be avoided at all cost; under no circumstances
                    should it be allowed. People may hold different religious beliefs, but
                    the bottom line is that we are all human beings. We all seek happiness
                    and desire peace. Religion should bring people together. It should
                    unite the potential for good in people's hearts toward benefiting
                    society and humanity and creating a better future."

Daisaku Ikeda
                    SoCal

Comment

"The heart of the Lotus Sutra is the revelation that one may attain
                      supreme enlightenment in one's present form without altering
                      one's status as an ordinary person. This means that without
                      casting aside one's karmic impediments one can still attain the
                      Buddha way. Thus T'ien-t'ai said, 'The other sutras only predict
                      Buddhahood ... for the good, but not for the evil; . . . This
                      [Lotus] sutra predicts Buddhahood for all.'"

(WND,410)
                      Reply to Hakiri Saburo
                      August 3, 1273
                      SoCal

Comment

March 16

Following is an excerpt from SGI President Daisaku Ikeda’s essay, “The Magnificent Ceremony on March 16″ (World Tribune 3/27/98).

I have fulfilled my vow to my mentor.
                        I have fulfilled my vow to my fellow members.
                        I have fulfilled all the objectives I pledged to achieve.

On that day, when we gathered at the foot of Mount Fuji, we entered a new stage in the progress of kosen-rufu.
                        It was a cold day. The grand peak of Fuji looked down on us from above, serenely witnessing the event.
                        The ceremony on March 16 was exhilarating. Mr. Toda announced that he was passing the baton of kosen-rufu to the youth division.

On that day in 1958, some 6,000 young disciples gathered with their mentor, Josei Toda, whose life was quietly ebbing away. Everyone celebrated that landmark day with joy and excitement. Brave young men and women dedicated to kosen-rufu had assembled from all over Japan. They shook hands, patted each other on the shoulder, and talked and laughed together. It was a joyful vision of future triumph.
                        Four decades of indestructible achievement have passed since that day.

On March 1, Mr. Toda said to me: “The rest will be up to you, Daisaku. I’m counting on you.” A few days later, he made a suggestion: “Let’s conduct a ceremony that will serve as a trial run — a dress rehearsal — for kosen-rufu, in preparation for the future.” Mr. Toda knew that he would never rise again, never again stand at the head of the march for kosen-rufu, directing its advance.

Nichiren Daishonin writes: “Life is limited, and we must not begrudge it. What we should aspire to, after all, is the Buddha land” (The Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 5, p. 132).
                        March 16 was a ceremony to eternally honor and pay tribute to the selfless spirit of Mr. Toda, who had lived in complete accord with these words of the Daishonin, and to pass that legacy on to the next generation.

At the proud ceremony, Mr. Toda declared: “The Soka Gakkai is the king of the religious world.” This impassioned cry, this lion’s roar, is engraved forever in my being. At that moment, I vowed in my heart to see to it that the Soka Gakkai would indeed be king. “King of the religious world” means king of the realms of thought and philosophy. The Chinese character for king is written with three horizontal strokes, one above the other, intersected by one vertical stroke. Here are the “three” of the third month, March, and the “one” of 16. Where is the six? It is represented by the 6,000 Ganges rivers who would follow in their wake. For us, the great ceremony on March 16 showed clear proof that “the assembly at Eagle Peak has not yet dispersed” (Gosho Zenshu, p. 757).

On April 2, 1958, 17 days after the ceremony on March 16, Mr. Toda’s noble life came to an end. March 16 had been a farewell ceremony, the passing of the baton.
                        Forty years have passed since then. In that time, the Soka Gakkai has soared to become the king of thought, the king of human rights, the king of peace.

The comrades who have struggled by my side over the years are all living wonderful lives of triumph and good fortune. I will always honor these noble friends, through all time.

Disciples are those who carry out the mentor’s teachings. Disciples are those who fulfill their vows. I have done these things, and that is my greatest pride.
                        Nichiren Daishonin writes, “If you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present” (MW-2 [2nd ed.], 172). A powerful determination and our actions in the present moment determine the future. March 16 is the eternal starting point of true cause, when all disciples stand up to be counted. For me, each day is a day of fresh commitment, each day is March 16.

Today, the rising sun tints the great mountain range of the 21st century. Following the model of March 16, I have passed the baton of the Soka Gakkai spirit completely to the youth. Soon, yes, soon, their time for glory will be here.
                        March is the time when trees and shrubs begin to parade their fresh greenery and their lovely new blossoms. Youth, whom I will always love and trust, the 21st century is yours. Your time has come. It has, inexorably, begun.
                        SoCal

Comment

Be sure to strengthen your faith, and receive the protection of the
                          Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, and the Buddhas of the ten directions.
                          Exert yourself in the two ways of practice and study. Without practice
                          and study, there can be no Buddhism. You must not only persevere
                          yourself; you must also teach others. Both practice and study arise
                          from faith. Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is
                          only a single sentence or phrase.

(WND, 386)
                          The True Aspect of All Phenomena
                          Written to Sairen-bo Nichijo on May 17, 1273
                          SoCal

Comment

"This lifetime will never come again; it is precious and irreplaceable.
                            To live without regret, it is crucial for us to have a concrete purpose
                            and continually set goals and challenges for ourselves. It is equally
                            important that we keep moving toward specific targets steadily and
                            tenaciously, one step at a time."

Daisaku Ikeda
                            SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Hippy
                              "This lifetime will never come again; it is precious and irreplaceable.
                              To live without regret, it is crucial for us to have a concrete purpose
                              and continually set goals and challenges for ourselves. It is equally
                              important that we keep moving toward specific targets steadily and
                              tenaciously, one step at a time."

Daisaku Ikeda
                              much easier said then done but what i try to do every day i wake up.

Comment

Whats up my friends, family and loved ones,

Welcome Back Baja! I enjoy the bajasauce or mild chipotle in my tacos or burritos! I'm guessing your an up and coming chanting grower, well embracing this philosophy changed my life, i hope you squeeze some benefit from enjoying this thread as well. Personally all the awesome quotes posted here everyday really just give us a boost then when i log off from icmag I really feel better than when i logged on. Plus our interaction on the thread proves the reality behind the words! Very fascinating indeed.

Started smoking again recently the most amazing harvest of my life, its still early (4-5days quick dry) but daimoku is the key to optimizing your buds! Golly, things are sticky and stinky around these parts, I'll be away at the end of next week, I got my first interview at one of the three ivy league schools i'm applying to, i know the best thing for kosen-rufu will be the outcome so I'm just enjoying the ride!

So from one of Nichiren Daishonin's disciples to you: Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

"Nam-myoho-renge-kyo will be your staff to take you safely over the mountains of death. The Buddhas Shakyamuni and Many Treasures, as well as the four bodhisattvas headed by Superior Practices, will lead you by the hand on your journey. If I, Nichiren, precede you in death, I will come to meet you at your last moment. If you should precede me, I will be sure to tell King Yama all about you. Everything that I tell you is true. According to the Lotus Sutra, Nichiren is the guide who knows the passes and gorges along the way"

Reference:

WND Page 451
                                Page 451 The Swords of Good and Evil
                                Written to Hojo Yagenta on 21 February 1274 from Sado - Ichinosawa

Comment

Working...
                                X