What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I am praying that, no matter how troubled the times may become, the Lotus Sutra and the ten demon daughters will protect all of you, praying as earnestly as though to produce fire from damp wood, or to obtain water from parched ground."

(On Rebuking Slander of the Law and Eradicating Sins - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 444) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, July 4th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"We of the SGI today who embrace the Mystic Law are the most fortunate of all the 6.8 billion people on this planet. Just because someone enjoys favourable circumstances doesn't necessarily mean they are happy. If they feel empty inside, they can't be said to be happy.

"Unsurpassed happiness is found in dedicating one's life to the Mystic Law, the supreme teaching of Buddhism. Happiness isn't the absence of problems or worries. Even Nichiren Daishonin, the Buddha of the Latter Day, encountered great hardships--he faced slander and abuse, incurred intense hatred and jealousy, and battled fierce onslaughts by the three powerful enemies. And he deliberately showed these struggles to his followers as an example for their own Buddhist practice.

"True joy can be found in the midst of challenges. Problems can help us grow. Strong opponents can make us stronger. It is just as the Daishonin says when he writes: 'It is not one's allies but one's powerful enemies who assist one's progress' (WND-1, 770)."

SGI Newsletter No. 7811, YOUNG WOMEN’S DIVISION COMMEMORATIVE GATHERING--PART 1 [OF 5] Be Cheerful Suns of Happiness, from the June 7th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated July 3rd, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nichiren and his followers are few, because they are different in body, but united in mind, they will definitely accomplish their great mission of widely propagating the Lotus Sutra. Though evils may be numerous, they cannot prevail over a single great truth."

(Many in Body, One in Mind - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 618) Selection source: Q & A on Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, July 5th, 2009

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I chanted so much Daimoku to do a good job! And in the end I had the reward of having several people congratulate me on giving the best Gosho lecture they had ever heard.

Thank you Gohonzon!

Congratulations T! and thanks everyone for their prayers and good wishes. Determined to catch up all I have missed here like 4 months or so; got 20 more pages to read. What I have read so far just amazes me to the max. Congrats to all Chanting Growers Bodhisatvas!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow Scegy! That was really wonderful. The Mystic Law governs everyone's life, whether they know it is or not. His stories are a perfect example.

I SO AGREE WITH THE LAST POINT OF THE LAST STORY! I'M LIVING IT!!!

One can only see how truly blessed they are when looking backwards. Only then can the things that were experienced as sufferings, but served as catalysts for change, be appreciated. THANKS FOR SHARING THAT!

Deep respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"As practitioners of the Daishonin's Buddhism, we not only deal with our own problems and worries, but concern ourselves with the welfare of others and the development of kosen-rufu. All of these different problems and concerns motivate us to chant daimoku. We can also turn them into an impetus for taking the best course of action for our happiness. Faith gives us the strength to tap the life-force needed to do so. The Mystic Law is the ultimate key to realizing a life of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity."

SGI Newsletter No. 7811, YOUNG WOMEN’S DIVISION COMMEMORATIVE GATHERING--PART 1 [OF 5] Be Cheerful Suns of Happiness, from the June 7th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo
Shimbun, translated July 3rd, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Buddhism is reason."

(The Hero of the World - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 839) Selection source: Study for New Members, Seikyo Shimbun, July 7th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Gosho states: "Buddhism primarily concerns itself with victory or defeat."* When we win, unlimited happiness is certain to well up from the depths of our beings and our lives are sure to overflow with good fortune! Let us leave no stone unturned to ensure a dramatic turn-around in whatever seems like a tough situation, and then let's savour the thrill and joy of having achieved a resounding victory.

Daisaku Ikeda

* "The Hero of the World" - WND-I, page 835

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Took me 4 hours the other day to get caught up here on the blog. 40 pages. To say the least I was pretty blown away and really encouraged from all the posts from everyone. This site is unbelievable!

My last post and log in was the beginning of Feb I believe. I had just started my own gig the end of Jan after being laid off and out of work since mid-Sept. This put me on the puter from 6-6:30AM and can't get off till after 3:30 or so. Then I get back on the eve and stay a couple more hrs. My practice suffered. Inconsistent chanting but never quit.

The day I decided to log back on here I chanted for about 10 mins and couldn't continue. Very low life condition and realized I had to do something about it. (finally, right?) So I just said fuck the computer and the work I needed to do and spent the next 2 hours reading here. I was so encouraged I stopped midway, posted here and went to the Gohonzon and chanted for an hour. My gratitude to all. After chanting, came back here and finished reading all the posts to get caught up.

Had a small setback yesterday in that I slept most of the day but when I awoke, drank a cup of java, chanted a very strong 45 minutes and read Lectures on the Lotus Sutra for an hour.

One of the past posts directed to me, I believe it was MyohoD, said I was like the rock of Gibraltor but I have to admit at that time my life condition was like a pebble being tossed about within the waves of delusion. Luckily for me I didn't drop off the face of the planet and made it back here. I truly believe it was from all of you and our connection that made it happen and for that I am eternally grateful. Thank you all very much!

Nice to see Hitman and Bonz checking in since my time away. And all the new posters too. Damn, it's good to be back and my daimoku of gratitude is with you all. Let's all do some fundamental darkness ass 'kickin!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Chang-an writes, "If one befriends another person but lacks the mercy to correct
him, one is in fact his enemy." The consequences of a grave offense are
extremely difficult to erase. The most important thing is to continually
strengthen our wish to benefit others.

(WND, 625)
The Embankment of Faith
Written to the lay nun Sennichi on September 3,1275

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Vital are wisdom, tenacity and self-expression, as well as the strong life
force that makes these things possible. Buddhism is an earnest struggle to win.
This is what the Daishonin teaches. A Buddhist, therefore, must not be defeated.
I hope you will maintain an alert and winning spirit in your work and daily
life, taking courageous action and showing triumphant actual proof time and
again.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
We could liken doing gongyo and chanting daimoku to the Earth's rotation on its
axis, while taking part in activities resembles the Earth's revolution around
the Sun. To enter this path, which enables us to savor a state where life is an
unparalleled joy, is itself proof of our attainment of Buddhahood. In the
present age, SGI activities represent the means by which we can attain
Buddhahood.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In a letter to Nichigen-nyo, the wife of Shijo Kingo, the Daishonin writes:

"'Can anything exceed the sun and moon in brightness? Can anything surpass the lotus flower in purity? The Lotus Sutra is the sun and moon and the lotus flower [in that it is the unsurpassed teaching]. Therefore it is called the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law. Nichiren, too, is like the sun and moon and the lotus flower.' (WND-1, 186)

"The name Nichiren means 'sun lotus.' Nothing is brighter than the sun, which dispels the darkness. Nothing is purer than the lotus, which blooms unsullied by the muddy water in which it grows.

"The entity of the Law, Myoho-renge-kyo, and the entity of the Person, Nichiren Daishonin, are fully endowed with the functions symbolised by the sun and the lotus. In other words, they are endowed with the power to illuminate the fundamental darkness inherent in life and bring forth the enlightened Dharma nature, and the power to purify earthly desires or deluded impulses and transform them into enlightenment."

SGI Newsletter No. 7811, YOUNG WOMEN’S DIVISION COMMEMORATIVE GATHERING--PART 1 [OF 5] Be Cheerful Suns of Happiness, from the June 7th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated July 3rd, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood. Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection. Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 283) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, July 8th, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts