What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's up all,
I'm new to the forum and growing in general. I'm currently working on my first gorilla operation. And, yes, like you I strive to cultivate bodhicitta. I practice meditations from the Karma Kagu lineage.
So its nice to know that you all exist, and I'll check back in from time to time to say hi.

Best,
Verdant Stroke

Welcome Verdant! We'll look forward to that. But please do read the thread a bit first. We are Nichiren Buddhists, not Tibetan Buddhists, and we are not really discussing anything but Nichiren Buddhism here. Just so you know.

Thanks for your understanding!

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The boy Snow Mountains gave his own body, and the ascetic Aspiration for the Law peeled off his own skin [in order to record the Buddha’s teachings]. Since nothing is more precious than life itself, one who dedicates one’s life to Buddhist practice is certain to attain Buddhahood."

(Letter from Sado - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 301) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, June 17th, 2009.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Allow me to share some words by the ancient Roman philosopher Seneca, which express an insight shared by many of humanity's great thinkers: 'Worse than all [other crimes] is the crime of ingratitude.' It is exactly so. I can't emphasize this too much, no matter how often I have to repeat it. Nothing is worse than ingratitude. People tend to forget their indebtedness to others when success goes to their heads and they grow arrogant. Never become a person who has no gratitude. Also, don't become a person who is cowardly or self-serving."

SGI Newsletter No. 7795, 29TH SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING--PART 1 [OF 2], Win Through All Challenges, (At the 29th Headquarters Leaders Meeting, held in conjunction with the 15th Nationwide Youth Division Leaders Meeting, at the Soka International Friendship Hall in Sendagaya, Tokyo, on May 27th, 2009) from the June 1st, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated June 15th, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"My disciples, form your ranks and follow me, and surpass even Mahakashyapa or Ananda, T'ien-t'ai or Dengyo!"

(The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 765) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's lecture series: Gosho and the Mentor-Disciple relationship No. 17, Seikyo Shimbun, June 18th, 2009.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Yesterday a big obstacle showed up and my soon to be ex-landlord's daughter has threatened to sue us. I mitigated alot of bullshit by re-establishing a life to life connection with her and now have something to chant about so that we experience a grande victory at the end of this month!

I'm sure we will and with my Faith in Gohonzon and myself, I know nothing is impossible!

Thanks for being a participant in this thread and taking part in my life! Also it is so awesome that although my internet connection is banning all sites, somehow I can post on ICMAG and it is friggin awesome!

Another Gohonzon benefit! Ohh the wonders never cease, The wonders never cease, OHH THE WONDERS THE WONDERS THE WONDERS NEVER CEASE!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

(The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 832) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 19th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

T we have been through alot since this thread began. You and Stonegirl brought more kids into the world and I've gotten myself an education and a better life.

I'm glad we kept going with this and still do! As time goes by I still keep getting closer to Gohonzon and appreciating my bond with Nichiren Daishonin. It is very hard to practice this Buddhism correctly and riding the waves of life only become more fun as we go forward. Hang-ten and Cowabunga!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

MY CHANTING GROWERS WHATS UP!!!!

MY CHANTING GROWERS WHATS UP!!!!

I'm still laughing at the fact that my internet is banning all sites expect this one, and some torrent mirror sites. It feels grrrreat to be able to post and with less than two weeks to go for the move all I can say is "YAY!" Last night my first two (2) shakubukus chanted with me and it felt grrrreat!

I will continue to challenge myself to chant more and more as I proceed in life and work to help others. Chanting Daimoku is my life and the Gohonzon is my eternal treasure!

I'm convinced our lives and this site have been positively revolutionized as a result of our daimoku!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Hence the character myo means to open. If there is a storehouse full of treasures but no key, then it cannot be opened, and if it cannot be opened, then the treasures inside cannot be seen."

(The Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 145) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, June 20th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Bonzo, Socal, Scegy, Desi, Wilson, Babba, my friends, I hope everything is well and if not let's meet up in front of Gohonzon and work it out!

Every chant is a step towards victory, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning my friends :) Happy Fathers Day to you all !!
Happy Fathers day to T many times over :)

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Just me and my lady checking in smoking a nice joint!

I was at a great discussion meeting and got to tell everyone I really appreciated their attendance on a Monday eve after work. Seeing those smiles was great for me.

Great Chanting tonight :)

Have a great evening and an even better tomorrow.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Iron, when heated in the flames and pounded, becomes a fine sword. Worthies and sages are tested by abuse."

(Letter from Sado - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 303) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's speech, Seikyo Shimbun, June 21st, 2009

scegy

We'r meeting up every morning and evening brothers, clearing our views, browsing through our day, feeling challanged, summoning courage to take another day - another fight, working on a way to tell another human being that he/she can reach that happiness if you start working on that almost forgotten dream

today at 1 am i had some real fucked up issues in my head, been away from my gf for 2 days, mostly because i knew i'd be throwing out my anger if i'm with her
it seemed pointless to chant that evening/morning as i've been working on this for the past 3-4 years and i'm still making so many mistakes that i'd sometimes rather die or kill someone then go on.

But, always a what what in tha butt, i still couldn't go to sleep without seeing what Nam Myoho Renge Kyo tells me, didn't tell me much but after doing a Gongyo and a short Daimoku i went straight to bed and wasn't angry anymore, actually i became arroused. This usually happened when i was depressed, like this time, and i watched a movie(watched a looooot of movies in the past) with a happy or good ending and i forgot how depressed i was as i saw the beauty of life in that movie...i also was always arroused after movies like that
The point is, after all the bullshit in my head i can't help myself to chant and see the truth and kinda sweep off the BS. So, i can't deny it's funtastic to live in these times and i should remember that as often as possible, cos that's, for me, the only way to see the good times when u'r in bad times. I think that the best solution for me to stop fighting with my woman is to start chanting when i feel like fighting, really that's the ONLY sane solution i've come up in 25 years, so i must chant for the stenght to chant when i feel the Anger.....i hope that doesn't mean i'll be chanting all day long...but i suspect that chanting will shorten and brighten my anger in that moment and it can probably take a few mins of NMRK!

must test this theory, haven't been able to do that, maybe once or twice but i don't actually remember - should remember more often to get that in my brain

hmmmmm....makes me wonder where does all this come from, as i can be a total jerk and a really wise guy in the same moment, practice makes perfect!

i pray for all of us to fight our way to happines:wave:

scegy

This is in regard to the passage “This sutra is hard to uphold.”(1) According to Acharya Ben,(2) you said to him: “I have been practicing the Lotus Sutra correctly since last year, when you told me that those who embrace this sutra will ‘enjoy peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences.’(3) Instead, however, great hardships have showered down on me like rain.” Is this true, or did he give me a false report? In either case, I will take advantage of this opportunity to resolve any doubts you may have.

A passage from the Lotus Sutra reads that it is “the most difficult to believe and the most difficult to understand.”(4) Many hear about and accept this sutra, but when great obstacles arise, just as they were told would happen, few remember it and bear it firmly in mind. To accept is easy; to continue is difficult. But Buddhahood lies in continuing faith. Those who uphold this sutra should be prepared to meet difficulties. It is certain, however, that they will “quickly attain the unsurpassed Buddha way.”(5) To “continue” means to cherish Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the most important principle for all the Buddhas of the three existences. The sutra reads, “We will protect and uphold what the Buddha has entrusted to us.”(6) The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai stated, “One accepts because of one’s power of faith and continues because of one’s power of constant thought.”(7) Another part of the sutra reads, “This sutra is hard to uphold; if one can uphold it even for a short while I will surely rejoice and so will the other Buddhas.”(8)

A fire burns higher when logs are added, and a strong wind makes a kalakula grow larger. The pine tree lives for ten thousand years, and therefore its boughs become bent and twisted. The votary of the Lotus Sutra is like the fire and the kalakula, while his persecutions are like the logs and the wind. The votary of the Lotus Sutra is the Thus Come One whose life span is immeasurable; no wonder his practice is hindered, just as the pine tree’s branches are bent or broken. From now on, always remember the words “This sutra is hard to uphold.”

With my deep respect,

Nichiren

# 1769, The King James Bible, Proverbs 29:23:

A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.

Peace people!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DG sends her love to all and is chanting :) Shes busy with some projects and hoping to be back this way before long :)
Nam myoho renge kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

2 meetings in two days feels great. It is really important that we chant with local chanters as often as possible.

By not making the cause to chant with people nearby we truly miss out on a very important part of the practice and that is encouraging others. Consider this - If the Gohonzon has enough mercy to come into your life and give you a chance to constantly embrace your Buddhahood and you are so greedy and self consumed that you just want to keep it to yourself and not seek others of a similar mind-frame, are you really being as compassionate as possible?

I think like this because if something is keeping me from chanting like the boobtube or the internet or whatever then I have to get over that quick and go back to the Gohonzon. Sure we can chant on our own in secret and pretend to feel that we are protecting our secret garden by being secretive and living like a hermit, but is that really what we are supposed to do as chanting growers? HELL NO, I KNOW AS A CHANTING GROWER I GOTTA SHARE THIS AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE AND MAKE THE CAUSES NECESSARY TO ENCOURAGE MY LOCAL CHANTERS TO DO THE SAME!

That is why I'm aligned with the SGI outside of this thread because in the SGI we are trying and successfully practicing Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism correctly and smashing so many barriers in the process. I love seeing other member's altars and encourage that they keep inviting me and others to share some of their time because it sure does feel great to practice this Buddhism with people who appreciate it!

So, if you haven't been attending meetings or feel too shy to go to one, please remember over three years ago I went to my first meeting and documented it on this thread. The chain of events since has been the proof I was seeking, if I was to continue doing this, as I have!

I'm ready for the next step and even though we are moving I will continue to travel out to my group and keep taking care of these members who nurture me and support my practice. I really don't have respect in my family, my blood family isn't too crazy about me but I know chanters look up to me and tell me so all the time. Chanters tell me they love me and appreciate me and help me feel better all the time. This is why I cherish every word I post on this thread, it all started here when I was bashing BOG back in 2004. lol! IN 2009 my life has done a 180 from a shitty no-where path to so many options that I gotta really struggle to stay focused and keep making causes to never give up and never be defeated in my ongoing practice for the rest of my life.

Good to see Trichy and Scegy and Bud posting. Keep keeping on my friends and I'll be here waiting for your positive and negative reports. I'm chanting for the best possible outcomes for each of you and my friends get what they need when we all work together and chant for these things.

Love,
YourBUDDY!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

:joint:Let's keep fighting fundamental darkness and overcoming all obstacles! I'm here to report that I'm still advancing and not giving up! Like a Lion Cub I'm learning from Nichiren and those that base their teachings correctly on his writings that with my faith I'll never be defeated!:woohoo:

Like the roar of the LION, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Status
Not open for further replies.