What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the Buddha’s Prophecy / WND pg. 398

On the Buddha’s Prophecy / WND pg. 398

Composed by the shramana Nichiren

The seventh volume of the Lotus Sutra states, “After I have passed into extinction, in the last five-hundred-year period you must spread it [the Lotus Sutra] abroad widely throughout Jambudvipa and never allow it to be cut off.”(1) On the one hand, it is deplorable to me that more than 2,220 years have already passed since the Buddha’s demise. What evil karma prevented me from being born in his lifetime? Why could not I have seen the four ranks of sages in the Former Day of the Law, or T’ien-t’ai and Dengyo in the Middle Day of the Law? On the other hand, I rejoice at whatever good fortune enabled me to be born in the last five-hundred-year period and to read these true words of the sutra.

Even if I had been born in the Buddha’s lifetime, it would have served no purpose, for those who embraced the four flavors of teachings had not yet heard of the Lotus Sutra. Again, my being born in either the Former or the Middle Day of the Law would have been meaningless, for neither the scholars of the three schools of the south or the seven schools of the north [in China], nor those of the Flower Garland, True Word, or any other schools, believed in the Lotus Sutra.

The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai states, “In the last five-hundred-year period, the mystic way will spread and benefit humankind far into the future.”(2) Does this not describe the time of wide propagation?? The Great Teacher Dengyo says, “The Former and Middle Days are almost over, and the Latter Day is near at hand.”(3) These words reveal how much he longed for the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law. If we consider the rewards of living in the different ages, it is clear that mine surpass those of Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu, and excel those of T’ien-t’ai and Dengyo.

Question: You are not the only person living in this “last five-hundred- year period”; why are you in particular so overjoyed to be living now?

Answer: The fourth volume of the Lotus Sutra reads, “Since hatred and jealousy toward this sutra abound even when the Thus Come One is in the world, how much more will this be so after his passing?”(4) The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai states, “It will be much worse in the future because the principles [of the Lotus Sutra] are so hard to teach.”(5) The Great Teacher Miao-lo explains, “The purpose of the phrase ‘the principles are so hard to teach’ is to let us know how hard it is to enable people to understand these principles.”(6) The Dharma Teacher Chih-tu states: “It is said that good medicine tastes bitter. This sutra, which is like good medicine, dispels attachments to the five vehicles and establishes the one ultimate principle. It reproaches those in the ranks of ordinary beings and censures those in the ranks of sagehood, denies [provisional] Mahayana and refutes Hinayana. . . . That is why all these types of people try to make hindrances [for a practitioner of the Lotus Sutra].”(7) The Great Teacher Dengyo states: “Speaking of the age, [the propagation of the true teaching will begin] in the age when the Middle Day of the Law ends and the Latter Day opens. Regarding the land, it will begin in a land to the east of T’ang and to the west of Katsu. As for the people, it will spread among people stained by the five impurities who live in a time of conflict. The sutra says, ‘Since hatred and jealousy toward this sutra abound even when the Thus Come One is in the world, how much more will this be so after his passing?’ There is good reason for this statement.”(8) The Great Teacher Dengyo seems to be describing his own day, but actually he is referring to our present time. His words “The Former and Middle Days are almost over, and the Latter Day is near at hand” have just such a meaning.

The sutra states, “Evil devils, the devils’ people, heavenly beings, dragons, yakshas, kumbhanda demons, and others will seize the advantage.”(9) Another part of the sutra details these “others” : “Whether it be a yaksha, or a rakshasa, or a hungry spirit, or a putana, or a kritya, or a vetada, or a skanda, or an umaraka, or an apasmaraka, or a yaksha kritya, or a human kritya . . .”(10) These passages explain that those who in previous lifetimes embraced the four flavors and three teachings, non-Buddhist teachings, or doctrines concerning the realms of human and heavenly beings appear in this life as devils, or heavenly or human beings who persecute the votary of the true and perfect teaching when they see or hear of him.

Question: In comparing the Former and Middle Days with the Latter Day of the Law, the first two were far superior in terms of both time and the people’s capacity. Why are these factors of time and capacity ignored in the Lotus Sutra, which refers exclusively to this age?

Answer: The Buddha’s intent is difficult to fathom. Indeed, I am unable to grasp it. We may attempt to understand, however, by taking the Hinayana sutras as a point of reference. During the thousand years of the Former Day of the Law, Hinayana was fully endowed with the three elements of teaching, practice, and proof. During the thousand years of the Middle Day, teaching and practice alone remained; proof no longer existed. In the Latter Day of the Law, teaching alone remains; neither practice nor proof exists. On examining this from the standpoint of the Lotus Sutra, we find that in the thousand years of the Former Day of the Law persons who possessed all three had most probably formed ties with the Lotus Sutra during the Buddha’s lifetime. They were born again in the Former Day and were able to obtain the proof of Hinayana through its teaching and practice. Those born in the Middle Day had not developed strong ties to the Lotus Sutra during the Buddha’s lifetime and were therefore unable to attain proof through Hinayana. They turned instead to provisional Mahayana and thus were able to be born in the pure lands of the ten directions. In the Latter Day of the Law, no benefit is derived from either Mahayana or Hinayana. Hinayana retains nothing but its teaching; it has neither practice nor proof. Mahayana still has its teaching and practice, but no longer provides any proof of benefit, either conspicuous or inconspicuous.

Furthermore, the schools of Hinayana and provisional Mahayana established during the Former and Middle Days of the Law cling all the more stubbornly to their doctrines as they enter the Latter Day. Those who espouse Hinayana reject Mahayana, and those who espouse provisional teachings attack the true teaching, until the country is overrun with slanderers of the Law. Those who fall into the evil paths because of their mistaken practice of Buddhism outnumber the dust particles of the land, while those who attain the Buddha way by practicing the correct teaching are fewer than the specks of dirt that can be placed on a fingernail. At such a time, the heavenly gods and benevolent deities abandon the country, and only perverse heavenly beings and perverse demons remain, possessing the minds and bodies of the ruler, his subjects, and monks and nuns, and causing them to curse, revile, and heap shame on the votary of the Lotus Sutra.

If, however, in the time after the Buddha’s passing, a person renounces his attachments to the four flavors and three teachings, and converts to faith in the Lotus Sutra that is true Mahayana, the heavenly gods and benevolent deities, as well as the bodhisattvas numerous as the dust particles of a thousand worlds who emerged from beneath the ground, will protect him as the votary of the Lotus Sutra. Under their protection, he will [establish and] spread abroad widely throughout Jambudvipa the object of devotion of the essential teaching, or the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo.

It was the same with Bodhisattva Never Disparaging, who lived in the Middle Day of the Law of the Buddha Awesome Sound King. He propagated widely throughout his land the teaching of twenty-four characters that begins, “I have profound reverence for you . . . ,” and was attacked with sticks of wood by the whole population. The twenty-four characters of Never Disparaging and the five characters of Nichiren are different in wording, but accord with the same principle. The end of the Buddha Awesome Sound King’s Middle Day and the beginning of this Latter Day of the Law are exactly the same in method of conversion. Bodhisattva Never Disparaging was a practitioner at the initial stage of rejoicing; Nichiren is an ordinary practitioner at the stage of hearing the name and words of the truth.(11)

Question: How can you be certain that you are the votary of the Lotus Sutra prophesied to appear at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law?

Answer: The Lotus Sutra states, “[Since hatred and jealousy toward this sutra abound even when the Thus Come One is in the world], how much more will this be so after his passing?” Another passage reads, “There will be many ignorant people who will curse and speak ill of us and will attack us with swords and staves.”(12) A third passage says, “Again and again we will be banished.”(13) A fourth reads, “It [the Lotus Sutra] will face much hostility in the world and be difficult to believe.”(14) A fifth reads, “Some among the group would take sticks of wood or tiles and stones and beat and pelt him.”(15) A sixth reads, “Evil devils, the devils’ people, heavenly beings, dragons, yakshas, kumbhanda demons, and others will seize the advantage.”

That the people might believe in the Buddha’s words, I have held up the bright mirror of these scriptural passages before the ruler, his subjects, and the four categories of Buddhists throughout Japan. But I can find none other than myself who has lived these passages. As for the time, now is most certainly the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law, but had Nichiren not appeared, the Buddha’s words would be false.

Question: You are an extremely arrogant priest— even more arrogant than Mahadeva or Sunakshatra. Is this not so?

Answer: Insulting Nichiren is an offense even graver than those of Devadatta or Vimalamitra. My words may sound arrogant, but my sole purpose is to fulfill the Buddha’s predictions and reveal the truth of his words. In all Japan, who but Nichiren can be called the votary of the Lotus Sutra? By denouncing Nichiren, you would make lies of the Buddha’s prophecies. Are you not then an extremely evil man?

Question: You certainly fit the Thus Come One’s prophecies. But are there not perhaps other votaries of the Lotus Sutra in the five regions of India or the land of China?

Answer: Throughout the four continents of the world there are surely not two suns. So, within the four seas, how can there be two rulers?

Question: On what basis do you say that?

Answer: The moon appears in the west (16) and sheds its light eastward, but the sun rises in the east and casts its rays to the west. The same is true of Buddhism. It spread from west to east in the Former and Middle Days of the Law, but will travel from east to west in the Latter Day. The Great Teacher Miao-lo says, “Does this not mean that Buddhism has been lost in India, the country of its origin, and must now be sought in the surrounding regions?”(17) Thus, no Buddhism is found in India anymore. During the 150 years or so since barbarians from the north invaded the Eastern Capital in the time of Emperor Kao-tsung,(18) both Buddhism and imperial authority became extinct in China. Concerning the collection of scriptures kept in China, not one Hinayana sutra remains, and most Mahayana sutras have also been lost. Even when Jakusho and other priests set out from Japan to take some sutras to China,(19) no one was found there who could embrace these sutras and teach them to others. It was as though there were only wooden or stone statues garbed in priests’ robes and carrying begging bowls. That is why Tsun-shih said, “It [Buddhism] came first from the west, like the moon appearing. Now it is returning from the east, like the sun rising.”(20) These remarks make it clear that Buddhism is lost in both India and China.

Question: Now I can see no Buddhism exists in either India or China, but how do you know no Buddhism exists in the other three continents— in the east, west, and north?(21)

Answer: The eighth volume of the Lotus Sutra states, “After the Thus Come One has entered extinction, I will cause it [the Lotus Sutra] to be widely propagated throughout Jambudvipa and will see that it never comes to an end.”(22) The words “throughout Jambudvipa” indicate that the other three continents are excluded.

Question: I have seen that the Buddha’s prophecy applies to you; now what do you yourself predict?

Answer: In the light of the Buddha’s prophecy, “the last five-hundred-year period” has already begun. I say that without fail Buddhism will arise and flow forth from the east, from the land of Japan. Omens will occur in the form of unusual disturbances in the heavens and terrible calamities on earth that will be greater in magnitude than ever before witnessed in the Former or Middle Day of the Law. When the Buddha was born, when he turned the wheel of the Law, and also when he entered nirvana, the omens, both auspicious and inauspicious, were greater than any ever observed. The Buddha is the teacher of all sages. The sutras describe how, at the time of his birth, light shone forth in five colors in all directions, and the night became as bright as noon. At the time of his passing, twelve white arcs crossed the sky from north to south, the sun’s light was extinguished, and the day became as dark as midnight. There followed the two thousand years of the Former and Middle Days of the Law; sages, some Buddhist and some not, were born and died, but never were there any omens of such magnitude.

From the beginning of the Shoka era (1257) through this year, however, tremendous earthquakes and extraordinary phenomena in the heavens have occurred, exactly like the signs that marked the Buddha’s birth and death. You should know from this that a sage like the Buddha has been born. A great comet crossed the sky, but for which ruler or subject did this omen appear? The earth tilted, and gaping fissures opened three times, but for which sage or worthy did this occur? You should realize that these great omens, both good and bad, are of no ordinary, secular significance. They are signs that the teachings of the supreme Law are ascending and that the other teachings are in decline. T’ien-t’ai states, “By observing the fury of the rain, we can tell the greatness of the dragon that caused it, and by observing the flourishing of the lotus flowers, we can tell the depth of the pond they grow in.”(23) Miao-lo says, “Wise men can perceive the cause of things, as snakes know the way of snakes.”(24)

Twenty-one years have gone by since I, Nichiren, understood this principle [and began propagation]. During this period I have suffered difficulties day after day and month after month. In the last two or three years, among other things, I was almost put to death. The chances are one in ten thousand that I will survive the year or even the month. If anyone questions these things, let that person ask my disciples for details.

What fortune is mine to expiate in one lifetime the offenses of slandering the Law I have accumulated from the infinite past! How delighted I am to serve Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, whom I have never seen! I pray that before anything else I can guide and lead the ruler and those others who persecuted me. I will tell the Buddha about all the disciples who have aided me, and before I die, I will transfer the great blessings deriving from my practice to my parents who gave me life. Now, as if in a dream, I understand the heart of the “Treasure Tower” chapter. (25) As the sutra states: “If you were to seize Mount Sumeru and fling it far off to the measureless Buddha lands, that too would not be difficult. . . . But if after the Buddha has entered extinction, in the time of evil, you can preach this sutra, that will be difficult indeed!”(26)

The Great Teacher Dengyo says: “Shakyamuni taught that the shallow is easy to embrace, but the profound is difficult. To discard the shallow and seek the profound is the way of a person of courage. The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai trusted and obeyed Shakyamuni and worked to uphold the Lotus school, (27) spreading its teachings throughout China. We of Mount Hiei inherited the doctrine from T’ient’ai and work to uphold the Lotus school and to disseminate its teachings throughout Japan.”(28) I, Nichiren of Awa Province, have doubtless inherited the teachings of the Law from these three teachers, and in this era of the Latter Day I work to uphold the Lotus school and disseminate the Law. Together we should be called the four teachers of the three countries. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Written by Nichiren,
the shramana of Japan.

The eleventh day of the intercalary fifth month in the tenth year of Bun’ei (1273), with the cyclical signmizunoto-tori

Background

Nichiren Daishonin was fifty-two years old when he wrote this letter during his exile at Ichinosawa on the island of Sado in 1273. It is addressed to his disciples and lay supporters in general.

The title, On the Buddha’s Prophecy, points to two prophecies: One is Shakyamuni Buddha’s prediction that the votary of the Lotus Sutra will appear at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law and spread the sutra’s teachings despite great persecutions. The other is the Daishonin’s own prophecy that in the Latter Day and on into the eternal future his teachings will spread throughout the world to benefit humankind.

This letter can be divided into seven sections according to content: (1) Nichiren Daishonin relates that it is a greater blessing to be born in the Latter Day of the Law and to have faith in the Lotus Sutra than to have met Shakyamuni Buddha or the great sages who appeared in the Former and Middle Days of the Law; (2) he cites statements and prophecies made by Shakyamuni and other Buddhist teachers concerning the Latter Day of the Law, the greatness of the Lotus Sutra, and the persecutions that will surely befall its votary; (3) he outlines the decline of Shakyamuni’s Buddhism and proclaims that the correct teaching of Buddhism will spread throughout the world in the Latter Day; (4) he identifies himself as the votary of the Lotus Sutra, that is, the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law; (5) he shows that Buddhism is no longer alive in India or China, and that the correct teaching of Buddhism will arise in the eastern land of Japan; (6) he expands on his prophecy by comparing the omens that have appeared in his age with those that appeared in Shakyamuni’s; and (7) he declares that the supreme Law is now arising and warns his followers that carrying out widespread propagation will be difficult.

Notes

1. Lotus Sutra, chap. 23. “The last five- hundred-year period” refers to the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law.
2. The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra.
3. An Essay on the Protection of the Nation.
4. Lotus Sutra, chap. 10.
5. Words and Phrases.
6. The Annotations on “The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra.”
7. The Supplement to the Meanings of the Commentaries on the Lotus Sutra. Chih-tu (n.d.) was a disciple of Miao-lo.
8. The Outstanding Principles of the Lotus Sutra. “A land to the east of T’ ang and to the west of Katsu” indicates Japan according to old maps.
9. Lotus Sutra, chap. 23. For *yakshas, see Glossary. Kumbhandas are demons that drain human beings of vitality.
10. Ibid., chap. 26. Rakshasas are demons that eat human flesh; putana, or “stinking demons,” are hungry ghosts; kritya, or “vengeful demons,” can cause corpses to wreak harm on their enemies; vetada demons can cause a corpse to kill someone; skanda, umaraka, and apasmaraka are reddishyellow, black, and blue demons, respectively.
11. The initial stage of rejoicing refers to the first of the five stages of practice of the Lotus Sutra formulated by T’ien-t’ai. At this stage one rejoices on hearing the truth. The stage of hearing the name and words of the truth refers to the stage of first hearing the correct teaching, the second of the *six stages of practice (see Glossary), at which point one understands theoretically that one possesses the Buddha nature, and that all phenomena are manifestations of the Law. Both indicate the initial stages of practice.
12. Lotus Sutra, chap. 13.
13. Ibid.
14. Ibid., chap. 14.
15. Ibid., chap. 20.
16. This refers to the fact that the new moon is first seen in the west just after sunset. On successive nights, as the moon grows fuller, it appears to have moved a little farther toward the east. Of course, the direction of the moon’s movement is from east to west, the same as that of the sun and stars, but because of its orbital motion, it appears each day to have moved slightly in retrograde, from west to east.
17. On “The Words and Phrases.”
18. Kao-tsung (1107–1187) was the first emperor of the Southern Sung dynasty. The “Eastern Capital,” K’ai-feng, was captured by barbarians from the north in 1127, forcing Kao-tsung to establish a new capital south of the Yangtze River.
19. Jakusho (d. 1034) was a priest who traveled to China in 1003;to study T’ient’ai’s doctrine. He brought with him a copy of a writing of Nan-yüeh’s that had been lost in China. Jakusho died on the mainland without returning to Japan.
20. These words appear in Tsun-shih’s preface to The Mahayana Method of Concentration and Insight, a work by Nan-yüeh. Tsun-shih (964–1032) was a priest of the T’ien-t’ai school in Sung-dynasty China. Nan-yüeh’s work had been lost for centuries in China; but a copy was brought there from Japan by Jakusho, a priest of the Japanese Tendai school. Tsun-shih therefore said, “It [Buddhism] is returning from the east.”
21. In Buddhist cosmology there are four continents surrounding Mount Sumeru. Jambudvipa, located to the south, is the only one in which Buddhism can spread.
22. Lotus Sutra, chap. 28.
23. Words and Phrases.
24. On “The Words and Phrases.”
25. The heart of the “Treasure Tower” chapter refers to the “*six difficult and nine easy acts” (see Glossary) set forth by Shakyamuni to show how difficult it will be to embrace the Lotus Sutra in the evil age after his death.
26. Lotus Sutra, chap. 11.
27. The Lotus school refers to T’ient’ai’s teachings, which are based on the Lotus Sutra. It also means the Daishonin’s teachings.
28. Outstanding Principles.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glossary

Glossary

yaksha
[夜叉] (Skt; Jpn yasha )

One of the eight kinds of nonhuman beings mentioned in Buddhist literature. In Hindu mythology, yakshas were benevolent spirits and followers of Kubera, the god of wealth, who is also referred to as Vaishravana. Buddhism later included them as one of the eight kinds of nonhuman beings who work to protect Buddhism. Yakshas are regarded as followers of the heavenly king Vaishravana who is said to dwell halfway up the northern slope of Mount Sumeru, and also as guardians of the northern quarter. In some sutras, however, they are depicted as ugly, fierce demons that torment or harm human beings. See also Vaishravana.

six stages of practice
[六即] (Jpn roku-soku )

Also, six identities. Six stages in the practice of the Lotus Sutra formulated by T'ient'ai (538-597) in Great Concentration and Insight. They are as follows: (1) The stage of being a Buddha in theory. At this stage one has not yet heard the correct teaching and is ignorant of Buddhism. Nevertheless, a single moment of life is in itself identical to the truth of the matrix of the Thus Come One; in other words, one is a potential Buddha. (2) The stage of hearing the name and words of the truth. At this stage through the spoken or written word one comes to an intellectual understanding that one has the Buddha nature and that all phenomena are manifestations of the Buddhist Law. This may take place through reading or hearing the words of the sutras. (3) The stage of perception and action. Here one perceives the truth [of the Buddha nature] within oneself through practice, the truth and the wisdom to perceive it are in accord with each other, and one's words match one's actions. (4) The stage of resemblance to enlightenment. At this stage, one eliminates the first two of the three categories of illusion and attains purification of the six sense organs. Having advanced this far, one's wisdom resembles that of a Buddha. In terms of the fifty-two stages of practice, this stage corresponds to the first ten stages, the ten stages of faith. (5) The stage of progressive awakening. This is the stage at which one eradicates all illusions except fundamental darkness and awakens progressively to the truth of one's Buddha nature. In terms of the fifty-two stages, it corresponds to the eleventh (the first stage of security) through the fifty-first (the stage of near-perfect enlightenment). (6) The stage of ultimate enlightenment, or the highest stage of practice. At this stage, one finally eliminates fundamental darkness and fully manifests the Buddha nature. This corresponds to the stage of perfect enlightenment, the last of the fifty-two stages. T'ient'ai taught that all people at whatever stage of practice are equally endowed with the potential for Buddhahood. In this way he prevented his disciples from falling into the error of self-deprecation or becoming discouraged. On the other hand, possessing the Buddha nature is not the same as attaining Buddhahood. T'ient'ai therefore divided practice into six progressive stages to prevent his disciples from falling into the error of arrogance and relaxing their efforts. In Great Concentration and Insight, he states: "If one lacks faith, one will object that it pertains to the lofty realm of the sages, something far beyond the capacity of one's own wisdom to understand. If one lacks wisdom, one will become puffed up with arrogance and will claim to be the equal of the Buddha." The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings gives Nichiren's (1222-1282) interpretation of the six stages of practice: "Speaking in terms of the six stages of practice, the Thus Come One in this ['Life Span'] chapter is an ordinary mortal who is in the first stage, that of being a Buddha in theory. When one reverently accepts Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, one is in the next stage, that of hearing the name and words of the truth. That is, one has for the first time heard the daimoku. When, having heard the daimoku, one proceeds to put it into practice, this is the third stage, that of perception and action. In this stage, one perceives the object of devotion that embodies the three thousand realms in a single moment of life. When one succeeds in overcoming various illusions and obstacles, this is the fourth stage, that of resemblance to enlightenment. When one sets out to convert others, this is the fifth stage, that of progressive awakening. And when one comes at last to the realization that one is a Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies, then one is a Buddha of the sixth and highest stage, that of ultimate enlightenment. "Speaking of the chapter as a whole, the idea of gradually overcoming delusions is not the ultimate meaning of the 'Life Span' chapter. You should understand that the ultimate meaning of this chapter is that ordinary mortals, just as they are in their original state of being, are Buddhas. "And if you ask what is the action or practice carried out by the Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies, it is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo."

six difficult and nine easy acts
[六難九易] (Jpn rokunan-kui )

A series of comparisons set forth by Shakyamuni in the "Treasure Tower" (eleventh) chapter of the Lotus Sutra to show how difficult it will be to embrace and propagate the sutra in the evil age after his death. The six difficult acts are (1) to propagate the Lotus Sutra widely, (2) to copy it or cause someone else to copy it, (3) to recite it even for a short while, (4) to teach it even to one person, (5) to hear of and accept it and inquire about its meaning, and (6) to maintain faith in it. The nine easy acts are (1) to teach innumerable sutras other than the Lotus Sutra; (2) to take up Mount Sumeru and hurl it across countless Buddha lands; (3) to kick a major world system into a different quarter with one's toe; (4) to stand in the Summit of Being Heaven and preach innumerable sutras other than the Lotus Sutra; (5) to grasp the sky with one's hand and travel around with it; (6) to place the earth on one's toe-nail and ascend to the Brahma Heaven; (7) to carry dry grass on one's back into the great fires occurring at the end of the kalpa without being burned; (8) to preach eighty-four thousand teachings and enable one's listeners to obtain the six transcendental powers; and (9) to enable innumerable people to reach the stage of arhat and acquire the six transcendental powers. By citing these impossible feats as "easy," Shakyamuni emphasizes the extreme difficulty of embracing the sutra and teaching it to others in the evil age that he predicts will come after his death.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Now, no matter what, strive in faith and be known as a votary of the Lotus Sutra, and remain my disciple for the rest of your life. If you are of the same mind as Nichiren, you must be a Bodhisattva of the Earth."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 385) Selection source: Study Report by Mr. Nakano - Chubu Study Division Chief, Seikyo Shimbun, May 26, 2009

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Thanks Pass the Doobie. That was a wonderful read. I just finished my morning meditation and found those words to be sincere and heart full.

I really like your reply bro!

"Man, WoW, that was a spiritual uplift T!"

I am more enlightened from reading about Bodhisattva Never Disparaging's purpose and actions.........Nichiren was so spiritual in all his thinking, if that is what you can call it.........he was enlightened!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Desi man! I love you Brother! My heart aches for you to receive Gohonzon. Your strong faith in the absence of having Gohonzon tells me very clearly how much your life is going to take off when you receive yours. I bow in humble obeisance and chant for that to happen for the sake of all those waiting around you to lead them to the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light (this world we live in as experienced by a Buddha).

They're waiting patiently Bro! Because of your promise to them, you will ultimately have no choice but to do what you gotta do. You deserve the wonderful future that I know is in store for you.

Much love and deep respect!

T

(Hi CMoon! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to you too Brother! Chanting Growers! Chant on!!!)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The person who actually propagates the true three thousand realms in a single moment of life during the Latter Day of the Law is the one who possesses the three virtues of sovereign, teacher, and parent in this age. And the lord of that teaching is none other than Nichiren Daishonin. It is to clarify this that the Daishonin has written this passage about the doctrine hidden in the depths of the "Life Span" chapter.

Daisaku Ikeda from "Lectures on the Opening of the Eyes" page 61.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A true lion, a person of genuine courage, stands up to those who use their authority to exploit or intimidate others. Mr. Toda was such a lion. In the course of our struggle--which could also be described as a fierce battle for human rights here in Japan--I always rushed to my mentor's side whenever he called me, even if it was the middle of the night. His tough yet compassionate training made me into the person I am. On his release from prison for his opposition to the demands of the all-powerful militarist authorities, Mr. Toda's health was seriously compromised, but his heart burned with even greater fervour than before. In the midst of adversity, he once said to me: "I'm a lion. Daisaku, you're a lion, too. 'Lion' is a symbol for the oneness of mentor and disciple. Both the mentor and the disciple must boldly keep on winning." I will never forget those words. They will always remain indelibly engraved in my heart. I have fought like a lion all my life. And I have won. I want the youth to fight like lions, too, and triumph in every struggle. I'm counting on you!"

"In the severe economic downturn the world is currently facing, it is all the more important for our members everywhere to bravely weather and triumph over every obstacle with the tremendous life-force of a charging lion."

SGI Newsletter No. 7778, 28TH SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING--PART 2 [OF 2], Forge Ahead like Lions, from the April 28th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated May 21st, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This life is like a dream. One cannot be sure that one will live until tomorrow. However wretched a beggar you might become, never disgrace the Lotus Sutra. Since it will be the same in any event, do not betray grief. Just as you have written in your letter, you must act and speak without the least servility. If you try to curry favor, the situation will only worsen.

A Warning against Begrudging One’s Fief / WND pg. 824

PTD says, "Thank you Avid. I think that best frankly. It's been three and a half years and 500 pages, and I still have a PM from you dated 10-28-05 where you invalidate everything you just said. (you can't have it both ways)

What I don't understand is why you came back. How many times can one burn a bridge and brazenly return without a conciliatory word or at least acknowledgement of one's past actions? This seems like the fifth time I've said this,"

Avid says...
Just to set the record the straight, I am not sure whatever I said to you in a pm, that allows to you question my honor and my Buddhist practice in public, but you have your right to make whatever opinion of me you desire, If you want to dialog about it, I would recommend a private setting. I doubt I am going to post anything public here.

My practice of Nichiren Buddhism is not defined by you, but by my study of Nichiren and Daisaku Ikeda as examples to follow, and the actual proof I create with my own practice, as Nichiren says, "Your faith alone will determine these things"

I have no pm access, if you want to discuss something with me in private perhaps do it there. Regarding your thread, I will not post here, but I will not allow you to hold me out as if I am some dishonorable person, as you do not know me, with three telephone calls, and a visit. I did not come here to fight, but I also did not come to here to be slapped in the face either. I left because I have no desire for any fight with you.

You posted to me prior to me posting here on your thread. I posted a congratulatory comment, and gave responses, but did not engage anyone here in any dialog.

Avid

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
It is not my place but did you avid go by a different because your join date is 04-08 not 10-28-05?
I tought being a pratice of you Nichiren Buddhism when just let it roll away?

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
None of you who declare yourselves to be my disciples should ever give way to cowardice. Neither should you allow concern for your parents, wife, or children to hold you back, or be worried about your property. Since countless kalpas in the past you have thrown away your life more times than the number of dust particles of the land for the sake of your parents, your children, or your lands. But not once have you given up your life for the Lotus Sutra. You may have tried to practice its teachings to some extent, but whenever you were persecuted, you backslid and ceased to live by the sutra. That is like boiling water only to pour it into cold water, or like trying to strike fire but giving up halfway. Each and every one of you should be certain deep in your heart that sacrificing your life for the Lotus Sutra is like exchanging rocks for gold or dung for rice.

Now, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law, I, Nichiren, am the first to embark on propagating, throughout Jambudvipa, the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, which are the heart of the Lotus Sutra and the eye of all Buddhas. During the 2,220 or more years since the Buddha’s passing, not even Mahakashyapa, Ananda, Ashvaghosha, Nagarjuna, Nan-yüeh, T’ient’ai, Miao-lo, or Dengyo has propagated them. My disciples, form your ranks and follow me, and surpass even Mahakashyapa or Ananda, T’ien-t’ai or Dengyo! If you quail before the threats of the ruler of this little island country [and abandon your faith], how will you face the even more terrible anger of Yama, the lord of hell? If, while calling yourselves the Buddha’s messengers, you give way to fear, you will be the most despicable of persons!

[While the regent’s government could not come to any conclusion,] the priests of the Nembutsu, the observers of the precepts, and the True Word priests, who realized they could not rival me in wisdom, sent petitions to the government. Finding their petitions were not accepted, they approached the wives and widows of high-ranking officials and slandered me in various ways. [The women reported the slander to the officials, saying:] “According to what some priests told us, Nichiren declared that the late lay priests of Saimyo-ji and Gokuraku-ji have fallen into the hell of incessant suffering. He said that the temples Kencho-ji, Jufukuji, Gokuraku-ji, Choraku-ji, and Daibutsuji should be burned down and the honorable priests Doryu and Ryokan beheaded.” Under these circumstances, at the regent’s supreme council my guilt could scarcely be denied. To confirm whether I had or had not made those statements, I was summoned to the court.

At the court the magistrate said, “You have heard what the regent stated. Did you say these things or not?” I answered, “Every word is mine. However, the statement about the lay priests of Saimyo-ji and Gokuraku-ji falling into hell is a fabrication. I have been declaring this doctrine [that the schools they belonged to lead to hell] since before their deaths.

THE ACTIONS OF THE VOTARY OF THE LOTUS SUTRA / WND pgs. 764-65

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thus, for example, the WorldHonored One cursed Devadatta, saying, “You are a fool who licks the spit of others!” Devadatta felt as though a poison arrow had been shot into his breast, and he cried out in anger, declaring: “Gautama is no Buddha! I am the eldest son of King Dronodana, the elder brother of the Venerable Ananda, and kin to Gautama. No matter what kind of evil conduct I might be guilty of, he ought to admonish me in private for it. But to publicly and outrageously accuse me of faults in front of this great assembly of human and heavenly beings—is this the behavior appropriate to a great man or a Buddha? He showed himself to be my enemy in the past when he stole the woman I intended to marry, and he has shown himself my enemy at this gathering today. From this day forward, I will look upon him as my archenemy for lifetime after lifetime and age after age to come!”

THE OPENING OF THE EYES (I) / WND pg.245

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tought being a pratice of you Nichiren Buddhism when just let it roll away?

Not always. And never if one views slander to have occurred. I am sorry for you to be confused by all of this Forest! Please join me in happily concluding that the conversation has ended.

Deep respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood. Do not have doubts simply because heaven does not lend you protection. Do not be discouraged because you do not enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 283) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 27th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"Single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha" may be read as follows: single-mindedly observing the Buddha, concentrating one's mind on seeing the Buddha, and when looking at one's own mind, perceiving that it is the Buddha."

Letter to Gijo-bo
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 389)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In the final analysis, unless we succeed in demonstrating that this teaching is supreme, these disasters will continue unabated."

(The Treatment of Illness - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1114) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 28th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If one lights a fire for others, one will brighten one's own way."

(On the Three Virtues of Food - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 1060) Selection source: Soka Gakkai member's experience, Seikyo Shimbun, May 29th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reply to Kyo'o / WND pg. 412

Reply to Kyo'o / WND pg. 412

Just when I was longing to hear from you once again, the messenger whom you took the trouble to send arrived. In my present circumstances, your gift of money is far more valuable than any treasure to be found on land or sea.

Since I heard from you about Kyo'o, I have been praying to the gods of the sun and moon for her every moment of the day. Always cherish the Gohonzon that I gave you some time ago for her protection. The Gohonzon was never known, let alone inscribed, by anyone in the Former or Middle Day of the Law. The lion king is said to advance three steps, then gather himself to spring, unleashing the same power whether he traps a tiny ant or attacks a fierce animal. In inscribing this Gohonzon for her protection, Nichiren was like the lion king. This is what the sutra means by "the power [of the (1) Buddhas] that has the lion's ferocity." Believe in this mandala with all your heart. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is like the roar of a lion. What sickness can therefore be an obstacle?

It is written that those who embrace the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra will be protected by the Mother of Demon Children and by the ten demon daughters. Such persons will enjoy the happiness of the wisdom king Craving-Filled and the good fortune of the heavenly king Vaishravana. Wherever your daughter may frolic or play, no harm will come to her; she will move about without fear like the lion king. Among the ten demon daughters, the protection of Kunti is the most profound. But your faith alone will determine all these things. A sword is useless in the hands of a coward. The mighty sword of the Lotus Sutra must be wielded by one courageous in faith. Then one will be as strong as a demon armed with an iron staff. I, Nichiren, have inscribed my life in sumi ink, so believe in the Gohonzon with your whole heart. The Buddha's will is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Miao-lo states in his commentary that the heart of this sutra is the revelation of the Buddha's original enlightenment and (2) his immeasurable life span.

Kyo'o's misfortune will change into fortune. Muster your faith, and pray to this Gohonzon. Then what is there that cannot be achieved? There can be no doubt about the sutra passages that say, "This sutra can fulfill their desires, as a clear cool pond can satisfy all those (3) who are thirsty," and "They will enjoy peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in (4) future existences." I will write you again.

When I am pardoned from exile in this province, I will hasten to Kamakura where we will meet. If we consider the power of the Lotus Sutra, we will find perpetual youth and eternal life before our eyes. My only worry is that her life may be as short-lived as dew; therefore, I am praying with all my might for the heavenly gods to protect her. [Kyo'o,] follow in the footsteps of Lady Pure Virtue or thedragon king's daughter. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Respectfully,

Nichiren

The fifteenth day of the eighth month

Reply to Kyo'o

Background:

This brief letter was written in the eighth month of the tenth year of Bun'ei (1273) and was addressed to Kyo'o, Shijo Kingo's infant daughter. Since Kyo'o was then only one year old, however, it may be assumed that the letter was meant for Shijo Kingo and his wife, Nichigen-nyo. They had two children, Kyo'o (Sutra King) and another daughter, Tsukimaro (Full Moon), who was a year older. Both were apparently named by Nichiren Daishonin.

This letter was written in response to news that Kyo'o had become seriously ill. At this time the Daishoninwas living in exile on Sado Island.

The Daishonin explains the significance of the Gohonzon, the object of devotion. At the Tatsunokuchi Persecution in 1271, the Daishonin revealed his identity as the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law. Only after this did he begin to inscribe the Gohonzon and bestow it on his followers, particularly those who had staunch faith in his teachings.

In this letter, the Daishonin says that the boundless benefits of the Gohonzon will surely cure Kyo'o's sickness and urges Kingo and his wife to believe firmly in the Gohonzon.

Notes:

1. Lotus Sutra, chap. 15.
2. The Annotations on "The Words and
Phrases of the Lotus Sutra."
3. Lotus Sutra, chap. 23.
4. Ibid., chap. 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.