What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo
Sorry for my absence. We took a 4 day camp with no computers or phones :) Was a good recharge. Now too get myself in front of Gohonzon :)
Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This means that anyone who teaches others even a single phrase of the Lotus Sutra is the envoy of the Thus Come One, whether that person be priest or layman, nun or laywoman."

(A Ship to Cross the Sea Suffering - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 33) Selection source: Q & A on Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, May 24th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

For the record I deleted my posts because I felt lied to by AvidLerner who I recognized as a former posted also named VegasBuddha and AvidLerner. I'm not looking for trouble and I don't know if he is. I never wanted to feed into his ego and just think I should redirect my focus from this post forward.

In any event,I have no issues with Desi or anyone for that matter. I do feel misled and think I just need to cool out and enjoy the hot summer. I hope history doesnt repeat itself in this thread and everyone gets in position for more happiness and to develop a strong practice.

Be well!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Such great news to hear Wilson!! So glad you are able to beat this. Keep up the good fight brother and keep on chanting !!
I find this topic particularly close to me at this time because one of my best friends in the world is losing his battle with Hep C. Hes 56 and I hope I get one more chance to chant to him this week. I find it hard to see him in the shape he is in ... but know i must spend more time and share more chants. The older we get the more "practice" we get at dealing with these moments. I only hope im surrounded by my beautiful family as he is at this time :)
Sorry to throw this down here but your post brought it to the surface.
So glad to hear of your good fortune Wilson. I will add it to my Daimoku :)
Nam myoho renge kyo

My buddy Jimmy passed. He went with his family around him. He was a great friend.
Nam myoho renge kyo

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Jai guru dev,

Seekers of the light and oneness i have a question for ya'll. I ask this with complete respect and sincerity. Not sure i will word this properly...We are all created by god as perfect beings needing nothing from the outside world other than food and drink to reach our highest potential.
I find the more i meditate the less herb i smoke. I also find when i puff the herb I now notice the subtle side effects it has on my mood the following day(s). I realize we are all different and that many paths will lead to our true natures.

Is the beloved Herb a hindrance on the path to our inner selves?

I want to believe that for some it can be, but for others it is a tool leading them to higher truths.

What do you think?

Namaste

ps. I apologize if this has been discussed in this thread, its a long one and i ain't starting from the top!

Wilson!

My buddy Jimmy passed. He went with his family around him. He was a great friend.
Nam myoho renge kyo

Hey Babbba, I know the loss. Have had 2 of my Boys from the day ride Hep c out of here too.

The Daishonin shares his enlightned wisdom with these words, "suffer what there is to suffer. enjoy what there is to enjoy".

The trip of transmigration to ku and repose to revitlaization to reanimation to reincarnation is like the dew drop finding its way back to the vast ocean. And being one with it.

"Now is the time to unite and once again advance boldly and cheerfully to open new worlds." -Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is the beloved Herb a hindrance on the path to our inner selves?

I want to believe that for some it can be, but for others it is a tool leading them to higher truths.

What do you think?

Namaste

Just my opinion: I agree it can be for some, but I don't believe that it is a tool leading to higher truths. I believe seeking and then being led to higher truths is a reflection of ones karma, and whatever tool necessary will be made available that fulfills that desire. It is not the tool that leads to the higher truths, it is the seeking mind of the seeker.

T

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Babba, it's alot of emotions and past thoughts of all the good & bad times together that makes me miss my best ole buddy JimmyMac. He was something! He was a real person!

BUT, now you and Wilson got me wondering about another friend of mine who was beating HepC...? He came by last fall to visit, was acting strange, talking out of character, I had to go walk the dog and he's never come back or called. Makes me think the HepC might have been coming back.........I will call and check today, because he is 56-57 too.

Easy, let's all go forward from here. Let's not let the past live another day.....it's gone,....confront any questions or doubts to your Gohonzon about AvidLerner. Us Buddha Natures grow on & on and up & up away from the vines that tried to hold us back.......that's the way I look at it anyway......give peace a chance.....to judge is to slander, I thought?

Have a great Memorial Day, or a numb one for those suffering the hardships of life....for we all are with you either way.....Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
T this movie is heavy duty! It's about Divine Justice....power & control & religion....George Carlin,..... "religion has convinced people of the invisible man in the sky,".... he,he,..."but he loves you, and he needs MONEY!" (God)..."you talk about a good bull shit story, Holy Shit!" (George Carlin)......I'm watching it now

EasyMyohoDisco says, "For the record I deleted my posts because I felt lied to by AvidLerner who I recognized as a former posted also named VegasBuddha and AvidLerner. I'm not looking for trouble and I don't know if he is. I never wanted to feed into his ego and just think I should redirect my focus from this post forward.

In any event,I have no issues with Desi or anyone for that matter. I do feel misled and think I just need to cool out and enjoy the hot summer. I hope history doesnt repeat itself in this thread and everyone gets in position for more happiness and to develop a strong practice.

Be well!

I am all of those people you named. I have nothing to hide. I have no ego towards any of you and I will prove that by my continued absence.

I practice in accord with the Daishonin's Buddhism, at all times.

"I have profound reverence for you, I would never dare treat you with disparagment or arogance. Why ? Because you are all practicing the Boddhisattva Way and are certain to attain Buddhahood"

Avid

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Bud,

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! I don't stop chanting for you and yours. Your loss is my loss and as a result we will become closer to Gohonzon.

Thanks for letting us know bud.

Best regards,
Easy

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
... and I will prove that by my continued absence.

I practice in accord with the Daishonin's Buddhism, at all times.

"I have profound reverence for you, I would never dare treat you with disparagment or arogance. Why ? Because you are all practicing the Boddhisattva Way and are certain to attain Buddhahood"

Avid

Thank you Avid. I think that best frankly. It's been three and a half years and 500 pages, and I still have a PM from you dated 10-28-05 where you invalidate everything you just said. (you can't have it both ways)

What I don't understand is why you came back. How many times can one burn a bridge and brazenly return without a conciliatory word or at least acknowledgement of one's past actions? This seems like the fifth time I've said this, but have a great life and I do chant for your happiness all the time.

Respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This means that anyone who teaches others even a single phrase of the Lotus Sutra is the envoy of the Thus Come One, whether that person be priest or layman, nun or laywoman."

(A Ship to Cross the Sea Suffering - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 33) Selection source: Q & A on Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, May 24th, 2009

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran

Avid

I don't get it. Is this a quote of a Sage? Seems contadictory of a sage to say that i would not treat someone poorly because they are practicing the Boddhisattva way. Unless this implies that all people are Boddhisattvas? No one should be treated with arrogance or disparagement.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't get it. Is this a quote of a Sage? Seems contadictory of a sage to say that i would not treat someone poorly because they are practicing the Boddhisattva way. Unless this implies that all people are Boddhisattvas? No one should be treated with arrogance or disparagement.

You got it right, all people are Bodhisattvas as all people have the potential for Buddhahood. But to further the point, I believe it is essentially saying, that no one should be treated with arrogance or disparagement BECAUSE they have the Buddha Nature and can/will attain Buddhahood in the future.

T

(here's more:)

twenty-four-character Lotus Sutra
[二十四文字の法華経] (Jpn nijuyo- moji-no-hokekyo )

Also, twenty-four-character teaching. Words with which Bodhisattva Never Disparaging praised the people he encountered. According to the "Never Disparaging" (twentieth) chapter of the Lotus Sutra, whenever this bodhisattva saw monks, nuns, laymen, or laywomen, he would bow to them in reverence, saying: "I have profound reverence for you, I would never dare treat you with disparagement or arrogance. Why? Because you are all practicing the bodhisattva way and are certain to attain Buddhahood." In Kumarajiva's Chinese translation of the sutra, this passage consists of twenty-four characters. Although the people cursed and attacked Bodhisattva Never Disparaging with staves and stones, he continued to bow in reverence to them while uttering these words of praise and was eventually able to attain Buddhahood. Meanwhile, those who harassed him converted in the end, but because of their offense of persecuting him they fell into hell and stayed there for a thousand kalpas before once more encountering him and attaining Buddhahood. Nichiren, in a letter addressed to his followers in 1273 called On the Buddha's Prophecy, writes: "The twenty-four characters of Never Disparaging and the five characters of Nichiren are different in wording, but accord with the same principle. The end of the Buddha Awesome Sound King's Middle Day and the beginning of this Latter Day of the Law are exactly the same in method of conversion" (WND / 400). "Five characters" here refers to the phrase Myoho-renge-kyo, or Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which Nichiren taught as the essence of the Lotus Sutra. Never Disparaging tried to awaken people to their own Buddha nature, but they rejected and attacked him on that account. Nichiren saw a parallel between his own circumstances and those of Never Disparaging: In trying to awaken people to their inherent Buddhahood by teaching them the essence of the Lotus Sutra, or Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nichiren, too, was scorned and attacked. Nevertheless, he was convinced that even those who attacked him would eventually attain Buddhahood through having formed a "reverse relationship" with the teaching he was spreading. According to the "Never Disparaging" chapter, even those who oppose the Lotus Sutra, though suffering due to their opposition, can eventually attain Buddhahood by virtue of the reverse relationship they have formed with that teaching. Elsewhere, Nichiren cited Never Disparaging's behavior as an example of the spirit with which one should practice the Lotus Sutra. In another letter written in 1277 he states: "The heart of the Buddha's lifetime of teachings is the Lotus Sutra, and the heart of the practice of the Lotus Sutra is found in the 'Never Disparaging' chapter. What does Bodhisattva Never Disparaging's profound respect for people signify? The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behavior as a human being" (WND / 851-52). Because Never Disparaging's behavior toward others was crystallized in the teaching he shared and epitomizes the practice of the Lotus Sutra, it is called the "twenty-four-character Lotus Sutra."

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Thanks Pass the Doobie. That was a wonderful read. I just finished my morning meditation and found those words to be sincere and heart full.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Be diligent in developing your faith until the last moment of your life. Otherwise you will have regrets."

(Letter to Niike - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1027) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 25th, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.