What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1042.
People have varied tastes. Some prefer good and some prefer evil. There are many kinds of people.

But though they differ from one another in such ways, once they enter into the Lotus Sutra, they all become like a single person in body and a single person in mind. This is just like the myriad different rivers that, when they flow into the ocean, all take on a uniformly salty flavor, or like the many kinds of birds that, when they approach Mount Sumeru, all assume the same [golden] hue.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If only you chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, then what offence could fail to be eradicated? What blessing could fail to come? This is the truth, and it is of great profundity. You should believe and accept it."

(Conversation between a Sage and an Unenlightened Man -The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 130) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 31st, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hello bodhhisatvas!

thomas nice to see you, i have a question regarding something a few pages ago, i don't think i get it correctly, does it really say on the Gohonzon that my head will be splitted in 7 pieces if i vex or trouble, and that i'll get good fortune if i give gifts to the priests(to them?)?

thank you, and p.s. i got something to share, had a great time in Zagreb :)

see ya soon!

Hi Scegy! Sorry to be slow in answering. Here you go, based on my understanding. It says:

[From: http://www.sgi-usa.org/memberresources/resources/gohonzon/diagramofgohonzon.php ]

12.Nyaku noran sha zu ha shichibun: "Those who vex and trouble [the practitioners of the Law] will have their heads split into seven pieces." An analogy for the fact that negative causes against the Mystic Law will produce loss in one's life.
and
5."Those who make offerings will gain good fortune surpassing the ten honorable titles of the Buddha." The ten honorable titles that express a Buddha's power, wisdom, virtue and compassion are:
1.Thus Come One-one who has come from the world of truth. A Buddha embodies the fundamental truth of all phenomena and grasps the law of causality permeating past, present and future.
2.Worthy of Offerings-one who is qualified to receive offerings from human and heavenly beings.
3.Right and Universal Knowledge-one who comprehends all phenomena correctly and perfectly.
4.Perfect Clarity and Conduct-one who understands the eternity of past, present and future, and who performs good deeds perfectly.
5.Well Gone-one who has gone to the world of enlightenment.
6.Understanding of the World-one who understands all secular and religious affairs through his grasp of the law of causality.
7.Unexcelled Worthy-one who stands supreme among all living beings.
8.Leader of People-one who instructs and leads all people to enlightenment.
9.Teacher of Gods and Humans-A teacher who can guide all human and heavenly beings.
10.Buddha, the World-Honored One-an awakened one, endowed with perfect wisdom and virtue, who can win the respect of all people.

So the first one you asked about, which is on the right side of the Gohonzon, is referring to those who fuck with you, not you. This is saying they accumulate negative karma in opposing you. The second, which is on the left, is referring to the offering you make of your life as a Bodhisattva of the Earth to propagate Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in the Latter Day of the Law. The reward you shall receive for doing so, exceeds the fortune expressed by the list above.

Hope that helps,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Daishonin was deeply pained by the sight of the suffering and misery of the people. He writes: 'I have been brooding alone upon this matter, indignant in my heart' (WND-1, 7). Words could not fully express his emotions. His conclusion, arising from his immense compassion for those who were suffering, was that in order to bring happiness to the people and build a peaceful society, it was vital to establish the correct teaching for the peace of the land. At the foundation of this spirit to establish the correct teaching is an absolute reverence for the sanctity of life that affirms the supremely respectworthy Buddha nature in all living beings. And that is precisely why we must intrepidly fight against the devilish nature of authority that disregards or diminishes the value of life....

"The Daishonin's spirit of empathy--the irrepressible impulse to help those who are suffering--has been inherited by the Soka Gakkai and is vibrantly alive among our members. Through imparting hope and winning trust, we can forge strong and deep bonds with others."

SGI Newsletter No. 7741, THE LIGHT OF THE CENTURY OF HUMANITY, The Great Hanshin Earthquake--Fourteen Years Later, from the Jan. 17th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated March 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Life is limited; we must not begrudge it. What we should ultimately aspire to is the Buddhaland."

(Aspiration for the Buddha Land - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 214) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 23rd, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Just checking in! I got KRG on Sunday and I'm excited about that as usual. Work is going great! I have my first of three graduations finally scheduled for late next month and last week was my Gohonzon Birthday! Three (3) years and I'm so happy with Gohonzon I knew it was the key! Definitely breaking internal&external barriers those I've introduced to the practice are practicing very strongly lately too! I'm very pleased with my continued connection with each of you here and this is just my latest upload of peace, prosperity, and encouragement to keep chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Then get your Gohonzon and try to go there at least twice a day! It's the stepping stone to more of what you need&want!

Thank you so much! Keep going friends! :)

P.S. I get the Feeling Bonzo is still chanting! Keep it up buddy! Socal I miss your posts, we're family! To everyone else in the struggle, much love and respect! Keep me in the loop please!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"As the Daishonin says, it is the heart that is important. It's a matter of exerting millions of kalpas of effort in a single moment of life for the sake of Buddhism, for the noble cause of kosen-rufu. For us, not begrudging our life ultimately means steadfastly chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo without any fear, and wholeheartedly dedicating ourselves to showing actual proof of faith--for the sake of the world, for the sake of the future, and for the sake of others.

"Mr. Makiguchi described this as 'a selfless way of life of great good.' Such a way of life is characterised by overcoming both selfishness and fear, and striving for the happiness of both oneself and others. He explained:

"It is an ordinary way of life, a way of plain humanity--such that anyone who consciously experiences it and comes to realise that it is universally accessible will feel an overwhelming desire to embrace it, and, indeed, will feel compelled to do so.

"Therefore, Mr. Makiguchi asserted that the Soka Kyoiku Gakkai (lit. Value-Creating Education Society; forerunner of the Soka Gakkai) 'was itself living proof of a life of great good.'

"In other words, selfless dedication is found in a seemingly ordinary way of life open to anyone. A true example of such dedication can be seen in our daily efforts for kosen-rufu, exerting ourselves body and soul to encourage others and sincerely sharing the greatness of Buddhism with those around us."

SGI Newsletter No. 7728, SGI President Ikeda’s Study Lecture Series, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY <NEW SERIES>, [1] "Letter from Sado"--Part 1 [of 3], Dedicate This Supreme Life to Buddhism, from the January 2009 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated March 6th, 2009.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When your beloved deceased father hears the sound of your voice chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, he will delight in his Buddhahood."

(White Horses and White Swans - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1066) Selection source: Q & A on Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, March, 2009

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1042.
People have varied tastes. Some prefer good and some prefer evil. There are many kinds of people.

But though they differ from one another in such ways, once they enter into the Lotus Sutra, they all become like a single person in body and a single person in mind. This is just like the myriad different rivers that, when they flow into the ocean, all take on a uniformly salty flavor, or like the many kinds of birds that, when they approach Mount Sumeru, all assume the same [golden] hue.

Babba, this passage is a stress reliever, everytime I read it!

Thankyou bro!

ptd, Easy, pay, scegy, Forest, and Sleepy I'm going to go see my surgeon today, I'm feeling almost back to normal, I'll be chanting for everybody!

Love,.......desi!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 279) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 2nd, 2009

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 279) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 2nd, 2009

"Good Day Sunshine,".....

High "T", Nichiren's passage here is my quote for this week. I can embark on a renewed mission of 'Faith & Good Health.' The doc said to resume a regular schedule with care of not over doing it physically. I'm going to contact my District Leader and touch base with her and renew all those relationships I got started over the last year.

It has been very recently that I've realized how necessary and important it is to complete my mission in life with 'others' or as Mr. Ikeda says, "Dialogue, Not War, Solves Conflict."

Dialogue with others creates Unity!

Buddhism recognizes division as a primary cause of human conflict and misery. For this reason, Shakyamuni Buddha compared the tendency toward divisivness and discrimination that plagues humanity as a "single invisible arrow piercing the hearts of the people."

The purpose of Buddhist practice, he taught, is to remove that arrow. In Buddhist sutras, the inclination to disregard and fail to appreciate the profound connection that exists between self and others is often characterized as a devil........"I desi have been fighting that devil here for awhile.......my stubborness has made me an ass many times."

Scegy, please share with us about your trip to Zaleb (sp)...okay bro

Easy has been a great example of carring on dialogue with me and it brings my buddha nature so much closer to you all.

Love,
desi!

PS. Bonz, Hitman, & SoCal you are always with us!

Sleepy, I hope your family is doing well, because you sure deserve it with your Gigantic Heart!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"My mentor Josei Toda, the second president of the Soka Gakkai, declared: 'Our faith in the Daishonin's Buddhism assures us that we can definitely surmount any difficulty we face, any situation we encounter, whatever the times. It's important to have this conviction. This is, in fact, our life's treasure.' Always brimming with great conviction and with fresh and youthful determination, we strive to create an alliance for people's victory and prosperity. This is the essence of our movement of Soka humanism.

"The Swiss philosopher Carl Hilty (1833-1909) wrote: 'Being able to be happy in and through suffering is the highest thing we are capable of.' When an inextinguishable flame of courage and hope is transmitted from one person to another, it can give rise to a brightly burning fire that can illuminate society as a whole. This is what the kosen-rufu movement is all about."

SGI Newsletter No. 7741, THE LIGHT OF THE CENTURY OF HUMANITY, The Great Hanshin Earthquake--Fourteen Years Later, from the Jan. 17th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated March 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's all determine to advance and follow the path of mentor and disciple that the three founding presidents of the Soka Gakkai have paved for us (by overcoming many great obstacles through their selfless dedication to achieving kosen-rufu). To repay our debt of gratitude is the highest and most noble life that we can possibly live as human beings.* Never hesitate even a bit, however, to reproach those who have no sense of such debt of gratitude.**

Daisaku Ikeda

*"What can we say then, of persons who are devoting themselves to Buddhism? Surely they should not forget the debts of gratitude they owe to their parents, their teachers, and their country." - "On Repaying Debts of Gratitude", WND-I, page 690

**"How then, can they not do something to repay the profound debt of gratitude they owe to the sutra? If they do not do so, they will show themselves to be inferior to the worthy men I mentioned earlier and, in fact, be no more than animals who have no understanding of a debt of gratitude." - "The Opening of the Eyes", WND-I, page 244

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Got a phone call from our brother Bonzo today. He sounded great. Had just been to the SGI center in his local area and sounded really good. He did speak of some tough times but is right on track now. Devil of the Sixth had him on the ropes for a couple rounds but hes fought his way back to the center and has a plan and is kickin some serious ass now :) Said he would make his way to a connection and come post soon. So great to hear things are on the up swing !!
Nam myoho renge kyo

Hope you all are doing well !! Much love to you all !!

Nam myoho renge kyo !!

Status
Not open for further replies.